Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Practice Challenges ☆☆

Comments

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    Thankyou @crysk it was a nice surprise
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your landscaping work is very nice! @VioletRed :) The natural pond theme of the pool is very nice! The plants look very nice how they are placed on the edges of the pool water and the lilypads look great in the water. The type of plants suit very well the theme. The water feature window looks nice on the edge of the pool. Nice sitting area for sims to relax in the outdoors air. They will have fun playing the llama tabletop game. The tiling is a nice touch under the table. Nice art area for sims to enjoy painting on the easel under the shade of the tree.
    The build looks great! :)
  • VioletRedVioletRed Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Ok made the fixes and some changes, sorry I had not landscaped the whole lot. Upload is coming up. And the critiques can be public, I'm good with it.

@rosemow Thanks so much rosemow. It was hard getting started and I wasn't sure what to do at times. And I take out the flowered lily pads b/c when saving I saw something was CC and I'm assuming only game stuff allowed. They did look great tho :smile:
    Origin ID: Xieria
    I uploaded the lot but I'm can't figure out how to link it like I see some people do, hopefully its not a PIA to look for it via hashtags.
    @rosemow Will do for the next upload, Thanks!!
    Hi and sorry @VioletRed Ive been out most of the day
    This link here is your gallery link, if you save that somewhere so you dont lose it
    Everytime you upload something to the gallery it will appear on this page and then you just click on the build you want to get the direct link for
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/browse?searchtype=ea_origin_id&time=all&category=all&searchquery=Xieria&sortby=downloads&max=50&maxis=false

I will get to go through everyones latest practice builds in the next day or so have just had a super busy weekend
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    @StSciurus I must of missed your comment somehow, so very sorry. Glad you love the thread it has been a lot of fun so far and love that we can all share our tips and learn even I am learning
    Would love for you to share your tips to as you have some wonderful builds
    @Artemis_Dreamer I just had a look at your updated lot, and yay nothing dropped for me which is wonderful and I like the lights on the columns around the bbq area. You made the adjustments to things like the mailbox and flowers through rocks. Great job n the roofing for the bbq are though the main reason I said it was for the hanging plants so they looked like they were attached to something hehe.

Love the clutter on the tables to, I didnt comment on the pipe on the side of the house as that would be considered part of the exterior challenge but good that you fixed it up.

You can add things and adjust things also when we get to the exterior part and we will probably tackle the exterior before the landscaping in the next challenge as seems most like me leave the landscaping til last so we have challenged everyone doing it first haha
    Cant wait to see how your house looks overall in the next parts it really has a nice country feel to it so far
    Oh and @steskens sorry I missed your post to with the interior from challenge 1, sorry been all over the place this week lol.
    I love the kitchen and the colors you used in all the rooms, great decoration to
    @popettypop2012 feedback on Little Blue house

I hope you dont mind I posted here will send in private message is you prefer.
    Part 1 - Landscaping
    I love how colorful it is with the flowers, gorgeous garden beds with the rocks and love the pond.

Ok will pick it apart and I know you are trying to work on the placement issues but I did find a few that you need to be careful with.

I love the type of terrain paint you used for the pathing really suits the house, just be careful with the edges. The great thing about using the fencing it cant hide the edges of the path
    So just to clean it up a bit use the terrain paint eraser to erase the bits sticking out
    popetty%201.jpg

You just have to be more careful when placing anything, make sure you dont rush placement otherwise you find lots of things sticking into others, use the ALT button to move items away from eachother. All the rocks on the edges near the walls of the house were sticking into it

popetty%202.jpg

You could use the smaller type rock for those spots which makes it easier to place them away from the wall
    popetty%203.jpg

Not that you did anything wrong with your pond but I just think it gives off a better look if you cover the floor and walls with some coverings to give off a more natural look, you can also place some rocks or plants in the water. The view from above water has a bit more detail

popetty%204.jpg
    Popetty%205.jpg

I would be careful with your placement of the fountains and the plants as it looks a bit strange having water coming through this shrub, when i removed the shrub I found that some of the fountains werent placed in the water and probably had a few more than you needed

popetty%207.jpg

Around the back I love how you lined the paths it looks great and love the different terrain paints used for the different sections
    Becareful with lights sticking into plants and you missed a bit of the terrain paint on the path, because you lined the path with the fencing I would adjust the softness of the paint to the full side on the left which should help prevent this.

popettypop%206.jpg

I think you did a great job decorating nothing looks bare and it looks very pretty and the gardens look manicured. It is all mainly placement issues so just slow down and hold the ALT button down when placing to move away from other objects.

I will put the part 2 feedback in the next post

Part 2 - Exterior and roofing

Ok this is super cute, I love the cottage look and the blue with white is very beautiful. I love the wood used with brick and really effective using the brick columns then the different colored brick on the roof.
    Will start with the roof
    I love the dormers they look so cute the blue on the windows matches the exterior and flowers are pretty. Be careful that you extend dormers enough that the end of them is hidden I can just see the end.
    Personal preference it would of been great to extend these so there was two at the back of the house also, but there is nothing wrong with the fact you didnt
    Here is the gap I can see with the dormers, they just needed to be extended one more tile length

popetty%208.jpg

One thing we always check when judging is the night view, exterior lights also double up as great decoration to make your exterior look nicer and brighten the look.
    I love the style of exterior light you chose but you could put some more around the house to lighten and decorate especially the dormers. Also you can hide lights if you dont want them seen but want to light an area up. The side of your house was quite dark to so continuing the lights around the side would of added the decoration and light
    Here is before and after shots with lights at night.

popetty%209.jpg

Also with the side dont forget the roof trim that covers up joins between the two different wall coverings, plus I added the same lights for a bit more decoration and to brighten the nightview, though this is day view to see the trim

popetty%2010.jpg

Overall though great exterior I absolutely love the colors and different wall coverings, the dormers are super cute and the chimneys add decoration.

Interior feedback in next post (sorry for all the posts its so I dont lose it all accidently lol)

Part 3 - Interior
    Great colors again suits the outside of the house, I love the blue, white and brown mix. Great kitchen you could even make your own shelving and decorate but I think you did a great job. Also dont forget to place a fire alarm above the stove (unless you like watching your sims burn to death lol). I did find the jukebox is sticking into the wall and you can see the plant on the table sticking into the cork board.

popetty%2011.jpg

I noticed you used moo to move the potted palm away from the wall which is great, its a pet peeve of mine that they made some of these plant pots to stick out further than their one tile size because a few of them will stick into walls when placed on the tile.

I would suggest that because you used curtains in the bedroom windows I would of continued that into the living room and kitchen windows also.

I love the bedrooms especially the kids room so well decorated, problem I found in there though was because the violin was placed inbetween the bed my sims couldnt actually use the beds so make sure you sim test everything.

Overall though @popettypop2012 it looks super cute inside and out and other than a few placement issues I think you did a wonderful job decorating.

• popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    @Cbear13 Thank you so much for taking the time to write all these detailed feedbacks for all of us on this practice challenge. It is really nice of you:) i am learning a lot from this thread. I will make a note to light up my exteriors more and clean up my terrain paints. also, the tip on how to make ponds look more natural is awesome. Thank you so much:)
    No worries @popettypop2012 and it really is a super cute house I love what you did, lol I hope no one takes offense to the feedback I am just giving from a judges point of view for entering the qc comps so you guys can see where you might lose points. I am sure its fine not to be so picky for a normal build not being entered in a comp
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    edited April 2016
    @popettypop2012 I'll just add a few things I noticed to what @Cbear13 said. For now only on the landscaping.

Let's start with the pond. I noticed you had some bushes that dropped to the ground in the basement. I suppose you had them partly placed in the fountain but not enough for them to stay raised.
    0BJiojO.jpg

If this was a pool I would have suggested to just add a room next to it. Since this isn't possible with a fountain, you'll have to add a room below the fountain. Adding windows and a light source will light up the plants
    NUFy8Jq.jpg

To get an even more natural look for the pond you could use one of the pool edges, I chose the brown one, and make it blend in with some terrain paint.
    NqBSQF1.jpg

The tall hedge you used next to the path did bother me a little. It felt to huge for that small area. I replaced it with a smaller one that has flowers and choose a colour for the blossoms that fits with the fence.
    p6MfAlL.jpg

For this one I did several adjustments. The brown fencing doesn't really fit with your colour scheme, so replacing it with a white one would be better.
    The bar did overlap with the fence so I moved it a little with ALT. I also moved the BBQ a bit closer to the house. Another thing is that I moved the table a bit more in the patio and turned it around with ALT.
    One thing you can't really see on this picture is that I had the whole area filled out with the terrain paint you chose, as there were some holes and it didn't align with the wall and fence.
    KJSzXIE.jpg

Having the lights all face towards the path is something I feel looks better.
    oBG8SUO.jpg

The last things I have are related to terrain paint.

Having the path go all the way to the rocks feels prettier for me.
    rxbwTTZ.jpg

Same with adding some terrain paint under plants. It looks far more natural.
    mQ6Y8C1.jpg

Adding some earthy terrain below the monkey bars, make them look used alot. Another terrain to add here could be sand that way the bars would be standing on a sand bed.
    l9EKBdr.jpg
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Amiejaidenalbie_1988Amiejaidenalbie_1988 Posts: 224 Member
    edited April 2016
    Here's the first part of the second practice challange. I am more than happy for any feedback and tips to be posted straight to the thread so other people can learn from my mistakes too :)
    I've left the front wall of the house quite bare as I want to wait until I've done windows etc before choosing what to place there.

https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/A33FD61F04A811E68242E7E9EDBB341D?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=Amiejaidenalbie&max=50&maxis=false

T8t4ti6.jpg
    GavuyOu.jpg
    iBSqT3j.jpg
    @Cbear13 Thanks for the link, I couldn't figure out where to get that. Been playing Sims since sims2 and rarely uploaded anything and never a lot. And no worries, take your time. Its the first warm weekend here in the east coast so I'm taking advantage of it.

@Amiejaidenalbie_1988 I liked how you edged off the garden and also the small pool at the side of the house. You going for a more clean, modern look? I'm trying for a more rustic look....I think. I'll see how it turns out as I go along :smile:
    @popettypop2012 I don't really have much to add to what @Cbear13 said about Exterior and Interior. Maybe except that I prefer more cluttered kitchens and would have added some more wall decorations for kids in the childrens room.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    @VioletRed First, I like your landscaping :D and second, why does your terrain paint look so different to mine??? Your grass texture looks so good *sobs with jealousy*

Anyway, lets start.

I found some items sticking through eachother. Pay attention to that.
    3qN2njO.jpg
    BwVtPAr.jpg

You also need to make sure to playtest, the gras didn't let my Sim enter the pool. Deleting one or two solves that.
    UMJmLXy.jpg

I noticed the hedge in the corners had a different size. If that was intended I apologize, but it felt weird.
    mzZuI2w.jpg

You have a great natural pond, and I like the creative use of those potted wall flowers. But to give the pool a more natural look add some natural walls and floor to it.
    mBLx0Bp.jpg
    4zl7Gp5.jpg

I gave this tip most people so far, add some earthy terrain paint below plants and arears Sims use alot. This looks more natural.
    qZAetpk.jpg

And the last thing are the trees at the front. The pot they are in somehow feels out of place. I suggest hidding it in a basement room or use something else.
    7KMq1NE.jpg
    1tTyOCR.jpg

That's it from me. I think @Cbear13 might find more.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    @steskens my. I spot a selfmade fireplace :blush: that surrounding rocks, are those the olives from "get together"?
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    Haha, yeah I guessed that much ;) *whispers* my fireplaces were inspired by some I saw in @BryonyRae thread.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Amiejaidenalbie_1988Amiejaidenalbie_1988 Posts: 224 Member
    Thank you @VioletRed, yes I'm trying a more modern style as I normally go for more country style. I like the style you've done for your build.
    @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 I like your modern approach :) I know you said, that you wanted to wait until we do the exterior and placed the windows. But I personally think you still could have extended the fountain a the front. But that's only a personal opinion.

I only found two things that you need to pay a bit attention to.

One is the occasional sticking through item.
    SSh5NLz.jpg

And the other was a floating pool ladder.
    UQyPAtm.jpg

The other two things that slightly bugged me are really just a personal opinion.

First I would have added a design to the pool floor.
    3z5Dhhj.jpg

And the other is that I would have centered the BBQ and bar a bit more.
    eZM45ER.jpg

But those two aren't really needed.
    ccBcpyk.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top