Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan official release thread

123457...Next

Comments

• JacksonBaileySimsJacksonBaileySims Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I want to buy Sims 4 but i'm not sure if it'll run on my Mac, here are my specifications -

MacBook Pro Retina 13 - Late 2013
    OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.5 Beta (15F18c)
    Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris 1536MB
  • jemerefijemerefi Posts: 5 New Member
    I don't know where more to write. I've wasted my time and money. I write to the developers on a weekly basis, but with no luck. I bought my mac on January and the first thing I did was to buy and download Sims 4, so basically my computer the only thing that has is this game. Every time I try to contact EA for this problem they send me to write in the forum, but I'm really plum off about it. Can't play since January, and I've really lost my patience. Just venting here.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    jemerefi wrote: »
    I don't know where more to write. I've wasted my time and money. I write to the developers on a weekly basis, but with no luck. I bought my mac on January and the first thing I did was to buy and download Sims 4, so basically my computer the only thing that has is this game. Every time I try to contact EA for this problem they send me to write in the forum, but I'm really plum off about it. Can't play since January, and I've really lost my patience. Just venting here.

Maybe if you explained what issues you're having we may be able to help you?

apple-signature.png
  • Mattsback4uMattsback4u Posts: 2 New Member
    My Specs:

Running: OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4

Model Name: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor Name: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Upgraded from OS X Yosemite...

Having the crashing / graphics distortion issue I've seen others have.
    My Specs:

Running: OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4

Model Name: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor Name: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Upgraded from OS X Yosemite...

Having the crashing / graphics distortion issue I've seen others have.

That's because your Mac has one of the affected NVIDIA 650M 512Mb GPUs. Have you tried the manual driver update linked to in the second post?

apple-signature.png
  • aka_moiaka_moi Posts: 86 Member
    Has anyone else tried their game since the last update. I wasn't one of the people who could update their graphics driver (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB), but since the last update I've played a few long sessions straight. I've had one or two crashes, but they came after a couple hours of playing unlike before (i.e. play for 5 minutes and crash). Not sure it was helped with this update, or one of the last couple, or something apple did. But for me the performance has improved greatly.

Please note, I did have to repair game after the update twice. But since then I've loaded many times without issue.

I suggest anyone else who had this constant crash problem repair their game and give it a test. Let us know if the issue was fixed.
    aka_moi wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried their game since the last update. I wasn't one of the people who could update their graphics driver (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB), but since the last update I've played a few long sessions straight. I've had one or two crashes, but they came after a couple hours of playing unlike before (i.e. play for 5 minutes and crash). Not sure it was helped with this update, or one of the last couple, or something apple did. But for me the performance has improved greatly.

Please note, I did have to repair game after the update twice. But since then I've loaded many times without issue.

I suggest anyone else who had this constant crash problem repair their game and give it a test. Let us know if the issue was fixed.

Oh that's great news if they have indeed updated it. What Mac do you have? And are you running OS X 10.11.5?

apple-signature.png
    10.11.4 (but will update to 10.11.5 in a few moments)
    27 inch late 2012
    aka_moi wrote: »
    10.11.4 (but will update to 10.11.5 in a few moments)
    27 inch late 2012

Thank you so much for the feedback, it's really helpful. Does it still work ok after updating to 10.11.5?

@SimGuruModSquad was there a fix in May's patch for this NVIDIA issue?

apple-signature.png
    So I had a quick crash before I updated to 10.11.5 last night. This evening when I tried the game, it played for a couple hours before I turned it off. No crash. My fan was running a little loud, but shutting down the game and restarting seemed to clear that up.

I still had one or two graphics glitching out, since the game update, but those were after extended play sessions. So even if it isn't 100% perfect yet, it's definitely a great improvement over what I had been experiencing.
  • tomkemp4tomkemp4 Posts: 88 Member
    Does the bug with Intel Graphics 4000 still apply please?

Currently downloading Sims4.

Sims3 plays OK, although not especially fast, which I understand is due to Cider.

Using MacBook Pro (13" Mid 2012), not Retina.
    2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.
    Running El Capitan 10.11.5
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    That bug only applies to Sims 3. Sims 4 is written to run on the Mac OS and includes all of the latest graphics cards.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    tomkemp4 wrote: »
    Does the bug with Intel Graphics 4000 still apply please?

Currently downloading Sims4.

Sims3 plays OK, although not especially fast, which I understand is due to Cider.

Using MacBook Pro (13" Mid 2012), not Retina.
    2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.
    Running El Capitan 10.11.5

There are a couple of threads related to the Intel HD 4000:

Intel HD 4000 thread - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816146/intel-hd-4000-graphics-cards/p1

Grey/Opaque windows - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816768/grey-opaque-windows/p1

And people are still suffering from it so no, they haven't patched it yet :( I believe that having graphics settings on low and disabling laptop mode can help.
    apple-signature.png
  • olive337337olive337337 Posts: 410 Member
    So I'm still experiencing problems as I'm sure everyone else is, and I came to this thread to see if there have been any updates. Should I do this update NVIDIA thing? I'm clueless with computers but I'm frustrated because it's June and my game still won't play for more than two minutes.

Here are my specs, again:

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
    Should I do this update NVIDIA thing?

If you want to play the game, yes. But you must be aware that it's not normal action to take on a Mac so doing so is at your own risk, especially as the driver is beta on any applicable iMacs and MacBook Pros.

apple-signature.png
  • PrettyInPink87PrettyInPink87 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi there,

My specs
    MacBook Air 13", mid 2013
    Processor: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i&
    RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000

Problem: I *just* downloaded Origins and bought The Sims 4, and have never been able to play it! Every time I open it, either from Origins or from Applications, it crashes and I have to Force Quit.

I have tried: restarting my computer, deleting and reinstalling The Sims, deleting and reinstalling Origins, removing Origins folders after deleting from Library, moving the Options file from Documents, running in windowed mode (launches as a white window that immediately beachballs), and running in fullscreen (black screen that eventually vanishes).

I don't have the NVIDIA graphics card to update.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Hi there,

My specs
    MacBook Air 13", mid 2013
    Processor: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i&
    RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000

Problem: I *just* downloaded Origins and bought The Sims 4, and have never been able to play it! Every time I open it, either from Origins or from Applications, it crashes and I have to Force Quit.

I have tried: restarting my computer, deleting and reinstalling The Sims, deleting and reinstalling Origins, removing Origins folders after deleting from Library, moving the Options file from Documents, running in windowed mode (launches as a white window that immediately beachballs), and running in fullscreen (black screen that eventually vanishes).

I don't have the NVIDIA graphics card to update.

Any help would be much appreciated!

You're running the beta build of El Capitan so that may be the issue. Something may have changed which Apple need to iron out, that's why beta builds of operating systems are not supported.

apple-signature.png
  • PrettyOddPrettyOdd Posts: 63 Member
    Hi, ever since updating to OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 my sims 4 application doesn't close. The game works fine and when I exit game, the sims 4 screen closes like normal, however the app remains open in my dock. Force quit doesn't do anything, so my only way to completely close the app is to force quit my computer every time. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
  • ElepridymalElepridymal Posts: 16 New Member
    How the game playing on macOS Sierra?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Since Sierra is still in Beta Testing, it is not a fair question to ask at this time. Sierra will be released later this Fall.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • ElepridymalElepridymal Posts: 16 New Member
    Golden Master is a relise version 90%. And it comes September 20th
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    Known Issues and affected Macs:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB
    Does this also apply to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB? My MacBook's still running with Yosemite, but I'm planning on upgrading to at least El Capitan. High Sierra seems to cause a lot of issues, and I don't want to take any risks.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
    Known Issues and affected Macs:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB
    Does this also apply to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB? My MacBook's still running with Yosemite, but I'm planning on upgrading to at least El Capitan. High Sierra seems to cause a lot of issues, and I don't want to take any risks.

What issues are you referring to with High Sierra? Plenty of people have it installed without issue.

I don't know about the 2Gb 750M, no one has left me feedback. So long as your Mac is one of the models listed as beta on the NVIDIA site for the driver then you'll be fine to manually update it. Make sure you turn off automatic graphics switching though, I discovered it was the cause of the kernel panics my Mac experienced.
    apple-signature.png
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    edited April 2018
    What issues are you referring to with High Sierra? Plenty of people have it installed without issue.
    Mainly that the game started to lag after upgrading to High Sierra. I'm playing it on ultra settings at the moment and don't want to lower it, to be honest. Love the graphics.
    I don't know about the 2Gb 750M, no one has left me feedback. So long as your Mac is one of the models listed as beta on the NVIDIA site for the driver then you'll be fine to manually update it. Make sure you turn off automatic graphics switching though, I discovered it was the cause of the kernel panics my Mac experienced.
    Ah, okay. :smile: Thanks for the quick reply! I'll think about it.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif