Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lines of communication are opening up YAY!

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.

I think people would be more eager, hyped up, and just generally happier to buy future, paid DLC if it was revealed much earlier in advance and not as seemingly late as you guys have been unveiling content with TS4.

Changing the format of unveiling content would help, too. I'd much prefer a fun screenshot guessing game of the sorts over very vague word guessing on Twitter.

I mean, I think that's what people are unsatisfied with. People, for the most part, seem patient with patches (things like the growfruit challenge makes it a bit difficult to get excited for them :tongue:).
  • BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.

That's is very interesting, thanks for explaining. :)

It doesn't explain the rigorous code of silence you guys have to deal with though, but that is probably part of things you can't discuss, so that's a topic for another time I suppose.

SO basically there is tons of stuff Maxis as a company could say, but haven't. Hopefully that will change going forward. @SimGuruDrake should have tons of props for hearing us, and also whoever made the decision inside Maxis (I'm not sure who's in charge for the sims these days). ;)

To add to this:

We are silent about things not because we don't want to share things with you (WE REALLY REALLY WANT TO!) We just want to be sure that when we tell you about things you are able to get the information and content as close together as possible.

But we are also acknowledging with what I guess you could call a "new communication strategy", which will kick off on Tuesday so I won't go into tooo much detail on this particular subject yet but will be happy to answer the questions I can next week!, that you'd like to have some information about content prior to the official announcements so you can "plan your purchases ahead of time" (and I'm paraphrasing the quoted text since I can't remember who said it in what thread).

As SimGuruGraham mentioned: Things are slightly more complex for us because we launch new free content alongside the paid content.

This is very exciting! As silly as it sounds, this kind of communication injects life and excitement back into the series for me. I love anticipation!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Thanks for clarifying the clarification from before, but to be clear the reason I (and probably most of us) want info is because we are curious and like children, don't want to wait.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

It doesn't explain the rigorous code of silence you guys have to deal with though, but that is probably part of things you can't discuss, so that's a topic for another time I suppose.

SO basically there is tons of stuff Maxis as a company could say, but haven't. Hopefully that will change going forward. @SimGuruDrake should have tons of props for hearing us, and also whoever made the decision inside Maxis (I'm not sure who's in charge for the sims these days). ;)

To add to this:

We are silent about things not because we don't want to share things with you (WE REALLY REALLY WANT TO!) We just want to be sure that when we tell you about things you are able to get the information and content as close together as possible.

But we are also acknowledging with what I guess you could call a "new communication strategy", which will kick off on Tuesday so I won't go into tooo much detail on this particular subject yet but will be happy to answer the questions I can next week!, that you'd like to have some information about content prior to the official announcements so you can "plan your purchases ahead of time" (and I'm paraphrasing the quoted text since I can't remember who said it in what thread).

As SimGuruGraham mentioned: Things are slightly more complex for us because we launch new free content alongside the paid content.

Thanks for all the new intel about the communication strategy :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    This is exciting! Looking forward for April 19th! :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    @SimGuruGraham, I read it here somewhere in a discussion with links to what a guru said about that tax thing. It was called a particular agreement which I can't remember the name of at the moment. So, I didn't just pull it out of the blue. It might have been last year when we were (even then) demanding why we don't get news like we did in the good ole days of TS2 and TS3. *just to explain about it* But thank you for replying, I like to hear what you guys are doing and if I would like to buy it or not. I don't buy everything and never have,...but most things, so I like news very much. :)

ETA: hm..reading between lines then I guess we will be getting something 'new' 'soon' then if you guys are able to discuss something. that's good news for some of us.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @SimGuruGraham now that's an explanation that makes sense and explains why *some* of these issues have occurred this time round where they didn't with your older games. To be honest I wish we had more of this sort of frank and clear communication because it goes a long way towards dispelling myths and allowing your customers to understand exactly why and not just a nod to why with no context. I hope we'll see more of this type of dialogue moving forward!
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I am ridiculously happy with all the communicating happening right now, and for next week!
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

To add to this:

Thanks once again for this SG Drake. By this new strategy I can schedule my vacations around game and expansion packs.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member

To add to this:

@SimGuruDrake Yes, I've been guessing for a while now that you are doing some changes for communication, we just don't know until we know, so to speak. ;) But I'm very excited and hopeful about this new direction.

I think most simmers would want information about future content as soon as you can give it, instead of waiting, no matter how long we have to wait for it. I can understand the thinking behind wanting to have the information and content release close together, but I honestly think it's not working very well for the community. I think most simmers understand they have to wait for content and that it takes time to make quality additions - what is frustrating is not knowing the future of the franchise and what you guys are up to. So we very much welcome any changes you can make to the communication strategy. By that account, we're all very grateful that you will give us more information, and we hope you will continue to look over the communication policy so we can be even more part of the process.

Thank you for all your work SimGuruDrake :)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Is this~ information we'll get in the next couple of months or in the next couple of months we'll get information of content to come?

• AmyDamesAmyDames Posts: 353 Member

To add to this:

I am far too excited right now
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @SimGuruDrake Thanks for stepping in again and breaking the barriers between the devs and the community :smile:

I guess a step in the right direction is possible with the right mindset and the right people on board.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

I guess this would make sense regarding toddlers. At least we now know why you guys can't talk about them.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    Thank god!!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Is this~ information we'll get in the next couple of months or in the next couple of months we'll get information of content to come?

The first one.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2016

To add to this:

Why? People were referring to the Sims 2 days where they'd get a leaflet with their new disk, revealing what would be coming up next (in about a month or two). I remember it was like that in the Sims 3 days as well (me hiking in Switzerland early july, inventing a storyline around supernaturals because I knew that was going to be the next package (in september if I remember correctly). I haven't seen anyone here yet who said 'oh those awful days back then, when they told us what would be up next and we had to wait and wait and wait for it'. Apparently it's more bearable for people to wait if they know what for. It sounds as if you (you plural, not personally you) are doing us a favour by getting information and content as close together as possible. In the meantime it only results in hyping and although I can see how that is great from a marketing perspective, it's also very irritating. Which as such is also a marketing strategy, I know. But I prefer the friendly, communicative marketing strategy of yesteryear myself.

ETA: if the information we'll get April 19th will be exactly that (revealing future content for the months to come) I take this all back of course :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member

To add to this:

x_x Ahhhhh. You just keep making my day. The silence was killin' me! And the reason for that, is the bold part in your message; I LIKE knowing what's coming more than two weeks prior, though I suppose the 2 month wait or more for an expansion pack/game pack to be released.. kind of kills me too. But if we could just get like...small bits here and there; and then a bigger announcement like 2-3 weeks before. I think I could be okay with that and I could Plan. Because, sometimes, I may not have the money for the purchase if we don't know.. until like THE WEEK before. D;

Because, you know.. gotta pay my bills, or I'll be homeless.. Q_Q lol. And I just like to be able to put money back for my The Sims addiction. /no regrets.

But. @SimGuruDrake, @SimGuruGraham - it's really nice of you guys to explain that bit to us.. to help us understand a little bit better. So, I understand that my above wish can't happen, but at least I know why now; and hopefully you all are just as excited to tell us as we're just as excited to KNOW. Dx Because, I'm soo pumped for Tuesday!

First. It's officially the start of my vacation! AND you guys are giving us news next week; and I don't gotta go back to my job for like two weeks. So. Bring it on!

Woo!
    classic_spongebob_by_bennythebeast-d7njtia.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    April 19th is going to be a very interesting day and I hope it involves some real good features and if not oh well nothing new at least I will not be disappointed, dang no new game release next tue.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Is the announcement to include multiple releases in the next coming months, or a specific pack releasing in the next couple of months?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Sk8rblaze, by what has been said I am now starting to think it's more of an overall view of what may come out in the next few months or this quarter or whatever. Like maybe tell us two SPs, A GP etc. But don't know it's still vague.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    Deleted
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen