Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 worlds are much better than in Sims 4

Comments

• BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    @SimFan298 we all have our opinions and sometimes they're at odds with each other and that's perfectly fine. I like that you presented your opinions as your own and stated them politely.

And I have to say I agree with you 100% on how TS3 Sims eat. The first time I saw that I decided they must have made that animation from watching one of my kids. :smiley: Ultimately I've ended up fixing most of the way the eating system in TS3 works with mods.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    @SimFan298 we all have our opinions and sometimes they're at odds with each other and that's perfectly fine. I like that you presented your opinions as your own and stated them politely.

And I have to say I agree with you 100% on how TS3 Sims eat. The first time I saw that I decided they must have made that animation from watching one of my kids. :smiley: Ultimately I've ended up fixing most of the way the eating system in TS3 works with mods.

Can you direct me to said mods please?
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    @SimFan298 I'm going to be honest and tell you that I tried playing TS4 again recently. When it first came out I was really digging it, it was so shiny and new. Unfortunately now... I have to disagree about most things you bring up. I won't nitpick, but this is what I noticed while I was in-game that has something to do with the world.

This is my entire neighborhood playable area in TS4. I emptied out 3 lots. I had intentions for this world, forgetting about that splendid "backdrop" that this world has. So I have that teeeny little area, and its a jarring STOP like a glass jar where my playable area is no longer explorable.
    26267098982_e253cb6cf7_o.png

Compared to THIS which I have open right now. My girl is the teeeeeny speck by the pond. And she ran there from across the street.
    26293317341_0d672bdce0_o.jpg

On top of that THIS FACE made me shut the game down after less than 1/2hr. That has nothing to do with the world, but... it sort of does seeing as THAT is the prevalent face on most sims. She was here for HOURS, fishing and her facial expression didn't change.
    26333554806_cae00126fc_o.png

TS3 at least cycles through a few different expressions during the fishing animation.
    26293246991_8f22f77cc6_o.jpg

I had a bunch of images of the smiling expression... but I won't go there because its really off topic.

What I will say is that the parade of sims down the neighborhood is very strange. I know in TS3 that if I empty out the neighborhood then no, there likely isn't going to be a ton of sims around. Thats fine. That's how I want it. If I want it busy I'll slam in more sims/lots etc.

That empty TS4 neighborhood had a neverending stream of spawning townies. And while it gives the illusion of a busy place... it SHOULDN'T be THAT busy. Where are they coming from? There is literally.. NOTHING around here. And then just strolling around even though they don't even live in that town. Like people routinely just drive to completely different city to take a stroll down a very empty area. IMO its... a false city, the worlds are so tiny. I never have my sims just sitting around at home in TS3 and the world is a HUGE part in the game/story that I feel they are a part of.

And a quick blurb here on empty towns. This is a brand new town I started. It came with 0 lots. So I placed everything so far. Its not a big world, and there are not a lot of sims populating the area. However whenever my sim goes to a public lot there is always other sims around. This is just the grocery store. When I looked around too, there was three sims at a diner across the street just hanging out outside. So?? Its hit and miss really.

26208505642_9303c89f8a_o.jpg

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    To me worlds in Sims 3 always seemed empty. They were big, but if you went into a store/club....there were like 2 other Sims. I actually enjoy that it is busy now in Sims 4 :smile:
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To me worlds in Sims 3 always seemed empty. They were big, but if you went into a store/club....there were like 2 other Sims. I actually enjoy that it is busy now in Sims 4 :smile:
    Maybe you ought to read through this topic: that's computer related, not open world related.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I do agree, but I think my computer would have completely given up with an open world AND dozens of Sims. I mean, I liked the open world. I wish that they indeed can bring back at least a limited open world (I don't want it completely open for fear of crashing). I don't think they can though. However, it is a lot more open than Sims 2 and I LOVED Sims 2, so hopefully eventually the game will be similar to it :smiley:
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Maybe you ought to read through this topic: that's computer related, not open world related.

Yeah, the moment I went from an Intel HD graphics chip to a GTX 970, my worlds were bustling with activity in lots I wasn't even active on.
    I do agree, but I think my computer would have completely given up with an open world AND dozens of Sims. I mean, I liked the open world. I wish that they indeed can bring back at least a limited open world (I don't want it completely open for fear of crashing). I don't think they can though. However, it is a lot more open than Sims 2 and I LOVED Sims 2, so hopefully eventually the game will be similar to it :smiley:

I think the key solution would be some decent optimization.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    One of the things I like in TheSims4's worlds is the level of detail that each has. Each district has its own characteristics. The sidewalk has different paving, sometimes there grass between the sidewalk and the street or not. And you can see a huge investment by producers to create real structures that go beyond street creation, land leveling and adding plants and ocean, rivers, as happened a lot in The Sims 3. The worlds are indisputably different than it was seen in the Sims 3. I'm not saying that the worlds of 3 are ugly. When you have a panoramic picture of the world, it is simply beautiful. But when you really approached the camera, I could tell that the level of small details is low.

OOCv0a0.jpg
    YnbnYfU.jpg
    U0o3AAE.jpg
    jwcetpY.jpg
    pTiVyg9.jpg
    EGpQjIj.jpg
    tenor.gif
    edited April 2016
    @SimFan298 start out by looking on MTS. I could post more but I don't have time right now.

@celipoesias that can so easily be done in building a Sims 3 world! Most people do tend to stick to one theme throughout, but building a world with different themed districts, totally different roads, paths, etc. is so doable and has been done by several people. I do believe Legacy Island II by Rflong7/13 is one of them and I know there are others.
    @celipoesias Except for this picture:

jwcetpY.jpg

... I fail to see a lot of detail. One detail in above picture is a fake car but let's not get picky ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    And, as mentioned several times, TS4 worlds involve lots of fake backdrops. Another thing I noticed is that plants look quite weird, like plastic sculptures, I prefer trees and shrubs from 3. Yes, most of them are constituted from rotating 2D elements, but they don’t look bad.
    Also, why not post some more pictures ;)
    6DuAHNR.jpg

cdxjemH.jpg

fcMibP4.jpg

7ksUKNN.jpg

m01WAvH.jpg

AF5Ku2s.png

vNPZnf8.jpg

0o8YsuV.jpg

RRf4RmJ.jpg

tatO4HB.jpg

21PzQTY.jpg

sdz0tEB.png
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    For me, I prefer TS3 worlds. Not so much the RA worlds, but most definitely the user created CAW worlds. There are all different sizes and styles of worlds by CAW creators that ran 100% better than EA'S worlds. The reason is caring! CAW creators tested and retested their worlds so there were no issues. And a person with a computer who struggled could find a beautiful world in the CAW section that would perform wonderful according to their specs.
    Too bad that ability was taken away with TS4. Although there is not much anyone could do with the postage stamp neighborhoods in TS4.

Oh and @BSIRegina how is The Shire coming????
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    One of the things I like in TheSims4's worlds is the level of detail that each has. Each district has its own characteristics. The sidewalk has different paving, sometimes there grass between the sidewalk and the street or not. And you can see a huge investment by producers to create real structures that go beyond street creation, land leveling and adding plants and ocean, rivers, as happened a lot in The Sims 3. The worlds are indisputably different than it was seen in the Sims 3. I'm not saying that the worlds of 3 are ugly. When you have a panoramic picture of the world, it is simply beautiful. But when you really approached the camera, I could tell that the level of small details is low.

These photos show the decor of the Sims 4 worlds, but I don't see many Sims around in those pictures other than the one where you have the home lot loaded. Windenburg, for instance, looks completely empty, and it is only 6:00PM in that photo. There are 4 lots in that one area, and it is just completely lifeless. There's a difference between detail and decor IMHO. The worlds could have been detailed with, for instance, more interactive content around each public area and so on. For example, there could have been Sims talking around that large fountain, or even mischievous ones playing in it, and stealing coins from the bottom. Windenburg, known for its many cafes, should have had a mini coffee shop set up at a public area with a barista serving coffee to-go. To me, that sort of thing is detail.

OOCv0a0.jpg
    edited April 2016
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    For me, I prefer TS3 worlds. Not so much the RA worlds, but most definitely the user created CAW worlds. There are all different sizes and styles of worlds by CAW creators that ran 100% better than EA'S worlds. The reason is caring! CAW creators tested and retested their worlds so there were no issues. And a person with a computer who struggled could find a beautiful world in the CAW section that would perform wonderful according to their specs.
    Too bad that ability was taken away with TS4. Although there is not much anyone could do with the postage stamp neighborhoods in TS4.

Lulz. Off topic, but I've been working on the lots. Of course I'm way behind where I thought I would be by now because life gets in the way but it IS coming along nicely. :smile: The image in my avatar is a small screenshot of part of it as I've been testing.

And yes, I've played multiple player-made worlds that work better than EA ones. There are a lot of player-made worlds with problems up the wazoo but those that are good are exceedingly good. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by BSIRegina on
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    edited April 2016
    @celipoesias The worlds are beautiful, but everything is fake and imutable backdrops... whats the point of that? What if I want to play a medieval community? Victorian era? Recreate my brazilian town? Or a any other theme-specific community?

I could do this is TS3, but in TS4 I cannot. Whats the point of beautiful things that I cant play with. I trade dateil for freedom any day.

Some pictures of completely different kinds of cities you can build with TS3 tools.
    São Paten, a Rio de Janeiro inspired city:
    Screenshot-259-1.jpg
    Screenshot-270-1.jpg
    (*wish i could download it, but I dont have all expansions... It is possible, though*)

Barcelona:
    sims3updates_obj_26767_2_L.jpg

Winchester Farming Community, by MySimsReality:
    http://www.mysimrealty.com/WORLDS_WinchesterFarmComm2.0.html
    have to link because the pics didnt show up for some reason

Can people create the atmosphere they want from scratch in TS4?
    We can only work with what Maxis gave us. Where's the creativity in that?

Looking at TS3 photos really makes me want to play again, because the worlds are so beautiful AND they are actually there.

As for issues yeah, some EA worlds do have issues. But to state 'the reason is caring' sounds unfair to me. If EA worlds show anything, it's care. Maybe not in routing all the time (I guess that has more to do with time pressure than care to be honest), but they have managed to create amazing and varied worlds. With a lot of items in it CAW creators could use. "Not so much the 'RA' worlds" (I don't understand the abbreviation but I guess it's EA related) doesn't give Bridgeport, Riverview, Hidden Springs, Sunlit Tides, Dragon Valley, Monte Vista, Midnight Hollow etc the credit they deserve. There's more to a world than routing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    As for issues yeah, some EA worlds do have issues. But to state 'the reason is caring' sounds unfair to me. If EA worlds show anything, it's care. Maybe not in routing all the time (I guess that has more to do with time pressure than care to be honest), but they have managed to create amazing and varied worlds. With a lot of items in it CAW creators could use. "Not so much the 'RA' worlds" (I don't understand the abbreviation but I guess it's EA related) doesn't give Bridgeport, Riverview, Hidden Springs, Sunlit Tides, Dragon Valley, Monte Vista, Midnight Hollow etc the credit they deserve. There's more to a world than routing.

RA was a "I need to trim my nails " :) typo. Should have been EA.

Maybe "care" was not the right word, but far to many issues other than just the routing in the EA worlds. Many of the issues could have been "fixed" prior to release if there had been some/more/actual play testing. Not just setting up a scenario and letting the game run. Isle Paradiso is a perfect example. Simple things like doors not set correctly, archways throwing errors and sims getting stuck on houseboats could have been fixed if there had been some/more actual play testing. And I am not directing blame on any particular group within the company, just EA as an entity. Like so many companies the push to get it out the door and increase profits does not always mean the product is as good as it should/could be. As far as credit for the worlds listed, I have all but Sunlit Tides and there are some very good aspects to all, but I still found CAW worlds that are much like those worlds, to be much more user friendly and beautiful.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

There is a mod for that, it's called MSC.

RA was a "I need to trim my nails " :) typo. Should have been EA.

Maybe "care" was not the right word, but far to many issues other than just the routing in the EA worlds. Many of the issues could have been "fixed" prior to release if there had been some/more/actual play testing. Not just setting up a scenario and letting the game run. Isle Paradiso is a perfect example. Simple things like doors not set correctly, archways throwing errors and sims getting stuck on houseboats could have been fixed if there had been some/more actual play testing. And I am not directing blame on any particular group within the company, just EA as an entity. Like so many companies the push to get it out the door and increase profits does not always mean the product is as good as it should/could be. As far as credit for the worlds listed, I have all but Sunlit Tides and there are some very good aspects to all, but I still found CAW worlds that are much like those worlds, to be much more user friendly and beautiful.
    (hahahaha, it never even occurred to me it could be a typo :D )

I absolutely share your frustration about things like that (and I never played a custom world so I believe people when they say they are better, routing wise in any case) and on top of that it baffles me I need other players to tell me how to fix flaws. The least they could have done was create an official EA page with in game solutions. I recently saw pictures of a Rio de Janeiro kind of world - was it in this topic..? - and that looked overwhelmingly awesome to me. I just get a little defensive towards the EA worlds I guess because - in spite of the flaws - I do love them. But who knows, I used to be a sceptic concerning mods and cc skins and here I am, slowly warming up to those as well, so maybe I'll try a custom world in the future.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @catitude5 I know, but I don't play with mods :smile:
    edited April 2016
    Druk_zpsudlcf9oi.jpg

No mods.

edit: that wasn't even everyone present by the way.

Druk2_zpsbrzyfg3m.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
    <snip>

Druk2_zpsbrzyfg3m.jpg

This is one of the things that bugs me in TS3. The Sim is eating onion rings--with a fork. LOL

I never had any problems with Sims not showing up at community lots. I think it's like someone said earlier, it has a lot to do with a person's computer. The game on lower-end computers ends up scaling down to fewer showing up. My computer isn't all that but it IS far above what I've seen a lot of people play TS3 on so that may be partially why.

@LenaDieters11 I know playing with mods is a very personal decision but if they make my game better I'm going to use them. If one will fix something wrong with the game, especially at this point where it's no longer being supported, there is no reason not to. I figure the devs couldn't be bothered (or couldn't find) a lot of the problems in the game yet the modders did so I'm VERY happy to take full advantage of their generosity. :mrgreen:

edited April 2016
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    <snip>

Druk2_zpsbrzyfg3m.jpg

This is one of the things that bugs me in TS3. The Sim is eating onion rings--with a fork. LOL

I never had any problems with Sims not showing up at community lots. I think it's like someone said earlier, it has a lot to do with a person's computer. The game on lower-end computers ends up scaling down to fewer showing up. My computer isn't all that but it IS far above what I've seen a lot of people play TS3 on so that may be partially why.

@LenaDieters11 I know playing with mods is a very personal decision but if they make my game better I'm going to use them. If one will fix something wrong with the game, especially at this point where it's no longer being supported, there is no reason not to. I figure the devs couldn't be bothered (or couldn't find) a lot of the problems in the game yet the modders did so I'm VERY happy to take full advantage of their generosity. :mrgreen:
    Eating nachos with a fork bothers me more :D I never ate onion rings but they look like squid rings and those I eat with a fork :blush:

The thing is, the discussion is about open world and its possibilities. A game doesn't have to have closed neighborhoods to spawn sims to a community lot. In fact, when I order my sim in 3 to go to a lot the game gets a signal (well, at least I think that's how it works) and at that moment sims start going there. Which means sims that are closer to the lot than my sim will have arrived there earlier than him or her. Which looks more realistic to me. And this is how it works in a 2009 game, imagine what would be possible now.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Yeah, I know...I tried to use mods, but I failed to even figure out how to make them work and I am always afraid that my game breaks down due to mods.
    Yeah, I know...I tried to use mods, but I failed to even figure out how to make them work and I am always afraid that my game breaks down due to mods.

Then git yerself over to the TS3 section and we'll help you learn. :D Contrary to what it sometimes looks like, none of us were born knowing this stuff. LOL

Postings of Sims not going or going to community lots makes me remember one of the very few things I really disliked about TS2. In the main neighborhood all the sidewalks rolled up at 10 p.m. If you sent a Sim to a community lot after that time there wasn't anyone there. Of course Late Night added the Downtown district and plenty of night life but it was still dead at night in the main 'hood.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top