Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bring back the newspaper

I miss the newspaper

Comments

• BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    I remember my poor Sims having to go out and clean up all the unread newspapers on the lot. I'd like to see them too, but I don't think my Sims do. lol
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Kaesi99Kaesi99 Posts: 32 Member
    I loved letting my sims read the newspaper! I always loved the articles in it.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I want this and landline phones back...just cause it's 2016 doesn't mean no one reads newspapers anymore or only uses cell phones :p
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • HopeinenHopeinen Posts: 316 Member
    You can just cancel your newspaper subscription in TS3, although i like having my sims read about whats going on around the town.

@Polyrhythm I do too! I just miss having a landline phone somewhere around my house.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    I think it would be fine as an option and one can cancel the service as it was done in Sims 3. I hated the service but if it is an option I love it. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    With every sim having a smartphone, I don't think a newspaper is needed anymore. It's one of the old metaphors of the other games that I think won't come back.
    Kaesi99 wrote: »
    @Polyrhythm I do too! I just miss having a landline phone somewhere around my house.
    Man, forgot about that one, yes I would love that to make a come back because I was looking for those phones in the buy mode and remembered there is none.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I would like to see them do something with the paper boxes on the street corners. But I don't know if I want newspapers back or not. I mean that I never really had my sims read the papers in Sims 3. So I would forget that they were even out there, and pretty soon my sims have something like 5 or 6 old newspapers just sitting in their front yard. I would be okay with the newspapers returning if they just keep them tied to the paper boxes that are found on the street corner in the game.
    > @Goldmoldar said:
    > Kaesi99 wrote: »
    >
    > @Polyrhythm I do too! I just miss having a landline phone somewhere around my house.
    >
    >
    >
    > Man, forgot about that one, yes I would love that to make a come back because I was looking for those phones in the buy mode and remembered there is none.

That's exactly what it was like for me. I just love the little details and I hate how they excluded so many old ones (I know there are some new ones, though). I just whish at least some of them were back.
    edited April 2016
    With every sim having a smartphone, I don't think a newspaper is needed anymore. It's one of the old metaphors of the other games that I think won't come back.
    True and with newspaper moving to the PC as well in real life more and more newspapers is going online. However, it should not have to apply to the game being an option.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    True and with newspaper moving to the PC as well in real life more and more newspaper is going online. However, it should not have to apply to the game be an option.
    If newspapers are out altogether. Then what would be the purpose of having those paper boxes just sitting there on the street corner in the game?

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @sunman502 so that's what those things are. Don't have them here so I thought they we weird mailboxes or something. :s
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • FloofjeFloofje Posts: 181 Member
    PLEASE. I'd love that my Sims will be able to read the morning newspaper and drink some coffee/tea.
    edited April 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @sunman502 so that's what those things are. Don't have them here so I thought they we weird mailboxes or something. :s
    Those would make for some really weird mailboxes. Because all the mailboxes that sat on the street corner that I was use to seeing in my youth was the little blue boxes with a U shaped top. But then again, I think that it was in England that they had these little red mailboxes that looked like little birdhouses sitting on the street corner. So maybe those aren't paper boxes that are sitting on the street corner in the game after all. I have had one to many Juice On The Rocks in the game lately. So it's kind hard to tell which is which in the game these day. And could be why my sims have been getting their mail from those boxes instead of their mailbox that sits right on the edge of their home lot in the game. :D

@sunman502 they looked like apartment multi-mailboxes to me... idk... they are weird whatever they are. I've never seen those blue ones you've described either. I can't even imagine them! lol

Anyway, I have to say I don't miss the newspapers in game. :/ It just doesn't seem to fit with the whole 'use yr phone for everything' kinda vibe ts4's got going on.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I have to admit, newspapers aren't something I miss; they're just something less to have to clear up myself to stop them from piling up outside. I do miss the postman though.... and the taxis, and the cars, and the driveways, and.......... I'd better stop there otherwise I might be typing all night.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yes! That newspaper is worth 10-80 simoleons a day with the magic, money making trash can! :D

All joking aside, I kind of miss having the option of having a sim read certain sections of the newspaper...and if they bring Toddlers back, I would love nothing more than to have them rip the thing up and make a huge mess! Plus, I think I remember Child sims could use newspapers to make paper airplanes and hats and such. I might be remembering wrong...but if I am, that should come with newspapers if they ever return in TS4 (for Child sims, Childish sims, Creative sims, and Goofball sims, most definitely!). Cleaning them up when you forgot about them could be a pain...but, again, magic, money making trash can, people! ;)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    @sunman502 they looked like apartment multi-mailboxes to me... idk... they are weird whatever they are. I've never seen those blue ones you've described either. I can't even imagine them! lol

Anyway, I have to say I don't miss the newspapers in game. :/ It just doesn't seem to fit with the whole 'use yr phone for everything' kinda vibe ts4's got going on.
    Those ones that I have described in my last post were from my RL childhood. And to my knowledge could only have been found in the U.S. We here in the U.S still have some of those mailboxes still in use today in some of the more rural parts of The U.S. So you won't find them in Sims 4. But those paper boxes sitting on the street corner in the game. Yeah they would look like mailboxes if they were to be sitting outside of an apartment building. ;)

@sunman502 yeah, I realized you were describing rl blue mailboxes... just have never seen them...but then again I wouln't have if they were only used in the US. :D *facepalm* it's too early here... need coffee.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    I think it would be lovely to have an optional (opt-in per household) newspaper, where a Sim household could buy a subscription and get the paper delivered. And then could read the paper at the dining table while drinking coffee. But I do wonder what would go in it, after having got used to how Sims 3 used it as story progression notifications.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @luthienrising probably just random notifications of sims that got promoted etc... but wait, that would only be your sim, so you'd already know! *sarcasm*
    Seriously though, you're spot on. Newspapers would only be an effect for the sim at them most, just like the reading of a book so they just wouldn't be functional like in previous games. I just get my sim to read a book while drinking his coffee, that's a pretty cute animation anyway.

• RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I'd like to see a couple of options for news papers in game. I'd like to be able to read the paper online from a computer, tablet, or cell phone the way many of us do now. Second, I'd like to be able to order a paper copy newspaper to be delivered with the choice of once time, every day or weekend only delivery. The paper could just as easily be delivered at the same time as the mail by the mail carrier. Paper copy news papers would hopefully have some of the same fun as their predecessors, like making airplanes and doing puzzles as well as delivering the news.
    edited April 2016
    @sunman502 yeah, I realized you were describing rl blue mailboxes... just have never seen them...but then again I wouln't have if they were only used in the US. :D *facepalm* it's too early here... need coffee.
    Those boxes that are sitting on the street corner in the game. I call them paper boxes because we actually have paper boxes that look like that here. Sometimes you can find them sitting out on the curb like that. Or sometimes they can be found sitting up against a public building or a store front here. ;)

sunman502 wrote: »
    Those boxes that are sitting on the street corner in the game. I call them paper boxes because we actually have paper boxes that look like that here. Sometimes you can find them sitting out on the curb like that. Or sometimes they can be found sitting up against a public building or a store front here. ;)

I see... well then, that's silly seeing as the game has no newspapers. :D (Wasn't that your original comment?)