Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom club icons tutorial

LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Hi there, for anyone who wants to make their own custom and unique club icons I thought I'd help you out and make a tutorial. I have tried to make this tutorial easy enough that even someone who has never tried to make custom content or anything before could easily figure out how to customize their club with their own icons. If I've left anything out or you hit snags, feel free to ask me!

First off, you will need three things:
Zerbu's more club icons (Download here:https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AOvmWgy0NucEzAQ&cid=18F586082025EE2F&id=18F586082025EE2F!529&parId=18F586082025EE2F!388&action=defaultclick)
And Sims 4 Studio (Download here: http://sims4studio.com/thread/562/sims-studio-sugar-open-beta)
An image editor that can handle transparency (I personally use GIMP, but you can use whatever program you'd like).

Once you download both things (And install S4S), extract the package file from the zip, and place it in an easy to access location like your desktop.
Open up S4S, and click on the "My Projects' button on in the upper right hand side.
a32ace614c.jpg

A box will open and allow you to go to the location you extracted your file. Look for "Zerbu - More Club Icons.package" and open it in the studio.
You will see this:
fcfc42c6bc.png

Click through the items in the list on the left that are labeled "DST Image" and find an icon you want to replace with your own. Each icon has three separate files that will make it appear properly in club windows and activities, you will need to replace them all. As you find each image to go with your icon set, hit the green "Export" button on the right.

90fa9fc1d2.png

(All image locations in the list for the icon I'm replacing on the left, and the export button on the right).
Now, find an image that you like and would want to use as a club icon. I'm making a club called the jazz hands, and using the icon from this sign as my club icon:
4e8414887c.jpg
However, it doesn't work all that well in its current state, so first, crop off anything you don't need from your image.
The next step is optional, but advised. Make your icon fit nicely by erasing any sharp edges. You can do this for all or just the 3D image (The one with gold already in the texture). But I strongly advise it for at least the 3D image.
Once I cleaned up my icon, I got this:
6cda47f10b.png
Next, make sure your image is completely square (For example, make sure it's 100xx100, if it's not, adjust the cropping or re-size it to fit)

Now that we have a clean icon to work with, open your first file of the three. I'm starting with the large non 3D icon.
2d0503306d.jpg
The first icon is/should be 128x128. Re-size your icon to match those dimensions and paste it in over the icon. Open your layers menu and delete the layer with the old icon on it and save. Don't close your original icon file, as you'll be needing it again in a minute.

Next, go to the small icon. Which should be 40x40. Make a new image file, copy your old image onto it. Crop the image to make sure it's a snug box again, and then re-size it to 40x40. Copy this in ontop of the old icon, then delete the layer the icon is on.

Next is the 3D icon. Now, if you kept the old icon open you should still have the 128x128 icon open. copy this image to a new file and re-size it image to 100x100. You can make it a little bit bigger or smaller if you'd like, I just personally found this size to work best for me.
Now, when it comes to this one if you are worried about fit, drag your icon into the clear jewel/bubble and make sure it fits inside of the edges of the jewel, Like this: 91c9445eea.png
If it does, your icon will fit in game.
Once you confirm it fits well in the bubble, drag it on top of the old icon and try to square it up as best you can.
After that, take the eraser tool and erase the old icon underneath, as you'll need the rest of this layer intact to make the icon work correctly.
It should look like this when it's done:
4b0ee50cb6.png

Once it's all saved and ready, you should have three new icons:
0e7f244430.jpg

Now, go find the icons on the list again, and instead of hitting export, hit import and replace the original DST images with your new ones (make sure NOT to mess up the file sizes!)
Once all of the icons are imported, hit save and close S4S.
Find the file, right click and copy it.
Go to: C:\Users\(Your username)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods and paste the package file into this location.
After that, all of the icons should be present in your club window.
41d4f9bb4c.jpg
And they'll function well in their little bubbles!
4a45dafc55.jpg

Sorry for the length of this, hope it helps and happy simming!
"Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Wow, that is awesome, thanks!
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Awesome, but not for the faint of heart -- like me. I wish EA/Maxis would add more icons.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for. For my game I'll probably replace some of the duplicates in the pack (because I think Zerbu scripted generating them from icons in a library).
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • KajkaElinaKajkaElina Posts: 201 Member
    Does Inkscape work too?
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

My Origin ID is catKajka.
    @Linamints , do you know if Inkscape works? Please?
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

• LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    @KajkaElina I'm not familiar with inkscape, but any program capable of saving images in either PNG or DDS format with a transparent background should work.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
    Okay. Thanks!
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

• TeikneTeikne Posts: 8 New Member
    Great tutorial! :) Im going to make a men-in-black club in my sims4 game and I'm trying to do an icon, but I'am having problems opening the files from Zerbu in Gimp. How did you do that? When I try opening the package-file I get an unknown file type error.
    Nevermind, I had forgotten to export the files! My bad :p
    It worked perfectly, gonna make many more :D
    Also would just specify that the file that should be moved into the mods folder is the Zerbu file, after exporting the new images. Just thought that part was a bit unclear, but might be me who's a bit slow :p
    @Teikne Thank you for the tip, I've updated that section to say package file instead.
    Glad you're having fun!
    @KajkaElina Tried doing an other ikon using InkScape, but I had problems making the background invisible. It seemed ok until I checked inGame. Gimp can open SVG files though so my solution would be to make an image in InkScape if that is what you prefer, than open the SVG file in Gimp and erasing the background like @Linamints wrote in the tutorial.
    @Teikne Thanks! (insert cat emoji)
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

• brittpinkiebrittpinkie Posts: 52 Member
    Is there any way of deleting the icons that are already there? I want to release my own set of custom icons, but don't want to override Zerbu's or include all his with mine. Thanks in advance! <3
    edited March 2016
    @brittpinkie Yes there is! I'm taking these screenshots from 2.7 Jackpot version of studio, but in the main list of icons, find the icons you want to remove (do this for all three image sizes, I selected the boxing glove) and just hit delete on all of the files of the same image that you want to remove for all icons you do not want. This will remove the club icons that you don't wish to use from the mod.

f2f3ec74eb.png

If you have any other questions, please ask!
    Thanka Lina! Not at my computer now to test again, but when I tried this before (as it seemed like the most obvious solution) the game ended up with the same amount of icons, but they just had that grey llama icon rather than the pictures. Basically, it aeems that deleting them that way only deletes thw image itself, and doesn't affect the number of custom logos in the mod.
    @brittpinkie I'm going to poke around with this some more, I had only looked for the image I had chosen to delete but you are right, it just turns it into a llama icon.
    Thanks! I tried poking around with it too, but I don't really know what I'm doing, so I couldn't figure it out, haha. Let me know if you can figure it out! <3
    Hey @Linamints, any luck figuring it out? I also tried messaging Zerbu, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :(
    @brittpinkie I actually haven't. The issue I've run into is that the image instances don't match anything in the XML, so it's very difficult trying to figure out which instance inside the XML correlates to which images, I'm going to try asking a friend of mine later today to take a look at it, as he's done a lot of XML edits for other games. Might be worth a shot at least.
    @Linamints thank you so much for all your help! Let me know how it goes :D
  • HollowedHollowed Posts: 6 New Member
    @Linamints said: re-size this image to 100x100. You can make it a little bit bigger or smaller if you'd like, I just personally found this size to work best for me.

I found that 96px is the correct size (tested it out by resizing a pre-existing icon), the icons fit into the standard Windows/Mac icon sizes (16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 64, 96, 128 and 256). 100px would not be ideal.
    edited August 2017
    Hollowed wrote: »
    @Linamints said: re-size this image to 100x100. You can make it a little bit bigger or smaller if you'd like, I just personally found this size to work best for me.

I found that 96px is the correct size (tested it out by resizing a pre-existing icon), the icons fit into the standard Windows/Mac icon sizes (16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 64, 96, 128 and 256). 100px would not be ideal.

That's good to know, but I wasn't using 100x100 as an example of the exact size to use, I was saying it worked best for the icon I did for this tutorial. Since the image you'll be pasting it into is the proper multiple of four format, as long as your icon fits into the bubble the way you want it it doesn't make any difference. Like, if you wanted an icon that filled almost the entire bubble it would probably be bigger than 96x96, or if you wanted a very tiny icon just in the center it would be much smaller. The size you choose to do for this step is entirely up to personal preference as long as it fits inside the area for the club gathering bubble. Hope that helps clarify that part of the tutorial.

Edit: I think having re-read the rest of the tutorial I understand what the misunderstanding is. I didn't mean to imply that you should re-size the entire 128x128 icon to 100x100, I mean to resize and just copy it to the 3D icon, but not save the re-size. I'll re-word that part of the tutorial.
    Post edited by Linamints on
  • makkusunmakkusun Posts: 1 New Member
    I did everything like the tutorial but my icon doesn't show up in game even though it shows up right in Sims 4 Studio :(
    @makkusun Hello, if you downloaded the file from the link it is honestly most likely out of date. I did find this one which was updated after the parenthood pack, so should be fairly current. :https://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/160488483060/the-sims-get-together-mod-more-club-icons

however, I have not tested this so I cannot say if it works. Hope that helps!
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey, this would belong better on the CC tutorials section, so heads up that I'm moving this thread. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top