Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 console and handheld games

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
edited April 2016 in The Sims 2
You might be familiar with the Windows version of The Sims 2 but did you know that The Sims 2 was also released for PS2, GameCube, Xbox, GBA, DS, and PSP? I'm think of Let's Playing The Sims 2 on the GBA as well as The Urbz: Sims in the City and The Sims Bustin' Out also on the GBA. The Urbz on the GBA is my first Sims game and I still have the GBA version which I brought back in January 2007.

There's also The Sims 2 Pets which has been released on PS2, GameCube, Wii, DS, GBA, and PSP. While the PS2, GameCube, and Wii versions are decent, the GBA, DS, and PSP aren't considered really good. The PSP suffered from constant loading (due to the UMD), DS had you work as as a vet and a lot of reviews say gameplay was boring, and GBA is good but it wasn't well liked as the predecessors were.

Of all the handheld games, I think The Urbz is probably the best The Sims GBA/DS game. While the console and handheld versions of TS2 were good, they were often overlooked because of the PC version of The Sims 2.

Despite the name The Sims 2, the ports aren't like the PC/Windows version but have different gameplay. The GBA is about being part of a TV show, DS is about running a hotel and PSP has you going to Strangetown after your car breaks down. It has been a while I've played the PSP and DS versions but I'll explain the GBA version.

The Sims 2 on GBA has you working for Daddy Bigbucks who is filming a television show known as Strangetown. The Sims 2 on GBA is unique is instead of the free roam gameplay like in other GBA titles (Bustin' Out, Urbz, and Pets) and other TS2 versions. The Sims 2 on the GBA is level-based as the game has 12 Episodes (only 11 are selectable). Aliens Arrived and There Was This Mummy can be unlocked by purchasing the Weirdness and Mystery Plots respectively. A Very Special Reunion can only be unlocked by linking with another GBA using another Sims 2 copy which means most won't be able to play without processing another GBA/GBA SP, a GBA link cable, and other copy of The Sims 2. Fortunately as with The Sims Bustin' Out and The Urbz, you only have to link once and the Episode will be permanently unlocked on the cartridge.

The biggest gripe I have with TS2 is probably the socialization system in the GBA, DS, and PSP. Reveal the spoiler for reasons why.
The DS version's socialization system had you press the appropriate button based on the Sim's pose and you have to press the button after a Sim makes a pose. Pressing the incorrect button or taking too long results in a red minus - appearing causing Relationship loss. Socializing has a steep learning curve to learn the correct poses.

The PSP has you filling the bar with a finite number of turns. You have to press the appropriate button that corresponds to the thought icon above the Sim you are socializing. Fill the bar and you gain a relationship point but you won't get a point if you fail to fill the bar. The skills you have also affect how much the bar will fill.

The GBA is probably the easiest of the three but there are some annoyances. Usually when I play, socials can be a hit or miss. You have to fill the bar as with the PSP. Successful socials will fill the diamond but failed socials will cause your Sanity (Performance bar) to decrease. If you let it run out, you pass out. The difficulty also affects how much a failed social will decrease the bar. Will it sounds simple, it can be annoying if you're trying to fill the Aspiration bar which can require up to 5 conversations (which depends on the Episode's difficulty) or if the episode requires a Friend or Intimidate Conversation to progress. It's not uncommon to always save before every Conversation especially if you're trying to get the Aspiration for the episode or if you're hunting for Sims' Secrets.

I don't know how much the console, GBA, and DS copies cost on Amazon nowadays. The PSP version is on the PlayStation Store and it isn't expensive.

If you would like to see me play the GBA releases of The Sims games, will you be interested. I think most Simmers have never played the console and handheld releases.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I am well aware of every console game ever released for the Sims. I have them all and went through a bad spell of bad RAM on my PC that left me with nothing but Sims console games to play for about a year. All in all, I'd have to say the Castaway series and Bustin Out were my favs for those platforms.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Urbz and ts2 for the original xbox were my favorites. I still play the to this day when the xbox decides to turn on that day. Poor thing is so old :p
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have Sims on PSP but I have played TS2 on PS2 and TS2 Pets on PS2. The PSP game is kind of cool, has a nice little story but I didn't like the ending much... :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1