Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What ways do you play the Sims 3?

13...Next

Comments

• 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    So many ways to play, but I only have one computer to play on! :)

If I'm playing one of my personal Sims, I tend to try for the "rags to riches" story. I also tend to start my games with a single Sim and make them go from single to married, to family type of story.

If I'm playing a pre-made townie, I tend to either play a "parallel universe" version of them or just ruin their reputation. The best ruined reputation, involved a random made Sim named Reuben Rocha, who's reputation was down to "dirtbag" (6 affairs if I remember correctly)!

The best examples of my parallel universe type games -
    Screenshot-170_zpsee83dqfx.jpg
    1 - "dark Blair" Wainwright.
    I took Blair and made her into a mass murderer. I even had her kill her own parents PLUS she killed Sandi French right in front of Molly (I found a way to kill toddlers - truly heartless)!
    Screenshot-356_zpsimwfntod.jpg
    2 - "wicked-fairy Zelda" Mae.
    I took Zelda and started by making her a fairy. After Mastering the "fairy magic" skills, I had her put traps both in the mailboxes and trashcans - EVERY last one all over Sunset Valley. Anyone that she doesn't got along with (trait incompatibility) gets the "Inner Beauty " Enchantment. Just to be annoying basically - not a mass murderer, like Dark Blair, just annoying.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    Totally play my own way. My sims don't age, they don't work. I see no point in jobs, cause you have less time with your sims then, I just use money cheat. And, I have a bajillion sims (I know I make too many). And I just randomly jump around to my families, and towns, I try to keep up with them all as best as I can, that's how I play.
  • _torraay_torraay Posts: 34 Member
    I like to play with a traditional family but sometimes I add a twist. Sometimes I'll have one of them cheat on another and get someone else pregnant. I have a mod that will let me impregnate sims in other towns like in WA. And when the baby grows up, I'll call him/or to come visit for the day. Other times I'll make a huge family with adult sisters/brothers and move them out but stay close with them. Every Friday would be date night and the couples would go to the movies or clubbing together.
    2h6rm7d.jpg
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    currently i play in Roaring Heights rotationally with aging off, setting at first all the jobs available for sims with playable coworkers if needed
    i'm trying to make diverse family constellations, a traditional model families with children, single parents, gay & lesbian, single sims, homeless, rich, vicious, strange - it's quite exhausting because it is a whole town, but it just keeps me going :smiley:

i am now at around half the population needed
    when i'm done with the entire set up then i plan to unleash the beast of time passing & all sims doing all the by me unplanned stuff
    it will be chaos :lol:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    Honestly, I started off just creating Sims to take pictures of. After I started seeing what other people could do with EPs I decided to buy the EPs (I finally have the all). Now I have decided to try a legacy, to learn how the game really works and to see what the genetics do.
    I also love creating my favorite characters from books and TV shows. It is so much fun!
    Ayq5S7Y.png
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Mstybl95 That's aswesome <3 Is it an Australian world (Perth)? I love the variety. Have you played the mayor's family? The community garden looks so pretty, did you build that one yourself as well (and the tractor track)?

@JoAnne65

Thanks! Originally, this town was Meryton, loosely based on Jane Austen novels locations and descendants of the families in her books. I wrote histories for all of the major houses and anything historic. For example, the only original building in the whole town is my Crypt Keeper Commons, which is the sublet of where the graveyard worker lives. The majority of the buildings in that area had been destroyed by a fire and rebuilt.

Then I remodeled the town again in CAW and added a few roads, removed a few lots and added them in other places. So I changed history and decided that this would be taking place some time in the future from Meryton and that the town would change it's name as it settled on a different kind of economy and tourism. This was when I added the beach side, which is still under construction. I'd say it is very loosely based on real Perth, but in reality, I just liked the name.

I have played every household in my town. I usually start off by playing the Mayor because he buys most of the properties like the parks and museums and then opens them and improves them for the public. I really enjoyed playing that family and their history turned out a lot different than what I had planned. The mother had the snob trait and was always very mean to her son. It broke my heart because I did not plan that. She just did everything mean to him. I still had them be friends and every time she'd destroy their relationship, I'd use him to rebuild it. Well, it was her birthday and I had the boy go to the bookstore to buy her a book. She had the loves to read trait so I figured it would be a nice gift. Well, she shoved it back in his hands and gave him a look like really. That made me mad because I was trying to be nice. After that, I hated her. She couldn't die soon enough. She ended up being one of the most hated people in the whole town. LOL

Here are a few different views of my community garden (Yes, I built it):

Screenshot-34_zps7a191b39.jpg

Screenshot-32_zpsceb7292e.jpg

Screenshot-24_zps53ec5d6e.jpg

Screenshot-23_zps2133dcc7.jpg

Screenshot-27_zpsv5pie1gh.jpg

:open_mouth:

i so envy simmers who like to build
    i have so little patience in building, especially in TS3, somehow i just don't like to build there, i also don't like to decorate the rooms, not really
    sometimes, very seldom, i get carried away by designing a house for a family i play, but it is really very very seldom, usually i just plop them to a premade house & try to add all the functional things they need
    i concentrate mostly on the sims themselves, the buildings are not my foremost interest, it's somehow a shame ... when i see towns done with so much love & care by other simmers then i know mine will never look like this :neutral:

So many ways to play, but I only have one computer to play on! :)

If I'm playing one of my personal Sims, I tend to try for the "rags to riches" story. I also tend to start my games with a single Sim and make them go from single to married, to family type of story.

If I'm playing a pre-made townie, I tend to either play a "parallel universe" version of them or just ruin their reputation. The best ruined reputation, involved a random made Sim named Reuben Rocha, who's reputation was down to "dirtbag" (6 affairs if I remember correctly)!

The best examples of my parallel universe type games -
    Screenshot-170_zpsee83dqfx.jpg
    1 - "dark Blair" Wainwright.
    I took Blair and made her into a mass murderer. I even had her kill her own parents PLUS she killed Sandi French right in front of Molly (I found a way to kill toddlers - truly heartless)!
    Screenshot-356_zpsimwfntod.jpg
    2 - "wicked-fairy Zelda" Mae.
    I took Zelda and started by making her a fairy. After Mastering the "fairy magic" skills, I had her put traps both in the mailboxes and trashcans - EVERY last one all over Sunset Valley. Anyone that she doesn't got along with (trait incompatibility) gets the "Inner Beauty " Enchantment. Just to be annoying basically - not a mass murderer, like Dark Blair, just annoying.
    oh what a trully wicked player you are :astonished:

i love that red eye, where does it come from ?

• 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    i think the oldest brother, the insane genius one from my evil criminal family will get this eye, looks awesome, thank you :smiley:

he's the one on the far left with the moustache

2qle8mu.jpg

• HuedMollHuedMoll Posts: 64 Member
    @Rukola_Schaaf A criminal family sounds fantastic! I've never had a whole family dedicated to crime. Mafia time. I'll have to do that. I love building things, but I'm not very good at it. Still, buying house floorplan magazines or looking at floorplans online and rebuilding them in Sims is one of my greatest pleasures. If only I could figure out how to do decent roofs.

@wbombje I haven't built any book or TV sims, but I'd love to do a werewolf Sons of Anarchy cast. What books and TV shows have you done?
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I like the building and decorating but most of the time when it's a play family I don't want to take the time so sometimes their houses look pretty bad. Haha. When it comes to actual floor plans I usually don't need too much help because I either build something fairly organic or have an idea in mind from a house I've been in at some point in my life. Or I see the outside of a building and decide to use it for inspiration and then if it's a house the inside usually follows a pattern to make them reasonably efficient. Thanks to Relativity that's not nearly as important as it used to be in my game but I still like having the rooms within a particular lay-out pattern, although thankfully it's easy enough to shift that pattern so they don't all look identical.

@Mstybl95 thank you for sharing your pictures! I just love the looks of your community garden.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • clysonclyson Posts: 80 Member
    Haven't checked on this thread in a while. I must say, I will be trying some of these ideas and I hope people that view this thread do to

- clyson
    Happy Simming :)
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2016
    I spend more time building than I do playing the game, but when I do play the game, I like creating and playing quirky families or just families with an interesting backstory. For example, I have a family called The Sitcoms, who look and dress like a 1950s sitcom family. I also have a family based on The Bundys from Married with Children, and another family made up of three generations of cat burglars, with the grandfather being a master thief.

I also like deliberately placing very different types of families in town to see how they interact. For example, maybe in one part of town I'll have a bunch of uber rich snobby families in lavish mansions, but in another part of town a bunch of poor slobs or crazy, outlandish club kids with dyed hair and weird clothing.
    EiFlric.png
  • hnj4xxhnj4xx Posts: 14 New Member
    Generally just family play, i'd get a sim to the top of the career track and when i'm sure they can support a family, in come the triplets :smiley:
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I play very story-drivenly. Even when I'm not making stories for blogging purposes I create a family/a bunch of Sims and make up a story for them and play with that. So my goals really vary depending on what kind of Sims I create. When I play my published story families I'm often taking screenshots, but I like to play those families as well and make them advance in their lives more or less according to my planned story for them.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • zagbooruleszagboorules Posts: 474 Member
    edited April 2016
    I am a huge family player, I love generational play and I guess I do sort of like perfect families..? (although I occasionally cause couples to cheat on each other to change up the family tree a bit and to create drama). I am currently playing my Martinez family and have been for over a year, it's really fun, I try to play every single member of the family of each generation and I move each of their families to different worlds (including store and custom ones) so that things don't get boring, I also at the same time try to incorporate each EP, so for example - I may have one family member (or two if I decide to have siblings do this) go off to Starlight Shores and pursue careers in singing or being a magician, and I may have another from a different 'branch' of the family tree move to Sunlit Tides or Isla Paradiso and have them own a resort or become a lifeguard whilst starting their own family (the next generation) at the same time or after they've pursued their career, then I may have another family member go for a profession using Ambitions, and have another as an adventurer using World Adventures, and for the fun of it I may move one family member to the Roaring Heights for one branch of a generation. I just like to make the most of the game I guess whilst still trying to make sure I include lots of family play. I also feel like I am going to accomplish something by reaching the tenth generation haha. :)