Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I ‘illustrated’ my post with quite a lot of screenshots, so I decided to put everything in a spoiler.
    The Sims 4 was definitely a huge disappointment for me. Well, TS3 didn’t live up to my expectations either, but at least it did add something completely new that wasn’t present in predecessors, and I still enjoy playing it and it has some EPs I find great. 4 didn’t really provide any significant new features, and it lacks plenty of things that were in base game of 2 and 3, and it really is noticeable that the game was supposed to be online and they rushed with trying to add basic offline elements. I couldn’t believe when it turned out that 4 wouldn’t have CASt and open world, and I couldn’t believe that a game released in 2014 has the graphics I saw.

5ZNaYC9.png

As far as I’m concerned, it looks worse than TS3. Yes, I do realise I’m comparing a vanilla game to a game full of custom content (I suppose it can look similar with CC), but I did expect it to look better and more realistic than 3 with CC.
    But even ignoring that I’m not a fan of cartoony style, the quality of textures is just worse, everything seems blurred, and some things are just weird.

LzAvhkC.png
    (The tree)

v3lCBOi.png
    (The floating fruits and terrain paint)

YbBA7CV.png

ZOgD3uf.png
    uOxVxCp.jpg

zGpMaDP.png
    k993iZI.jpg

DY8C0xI.png
    ew5efHN.jpg

11bVm8n.png
    6dy5yil.jpg
    (Face expressions, and faces in general seem better in 3)

wu4baWa.png
    RlsbcC7.png
    (Hard to believe, but it’s the same white curtain...)

gJ4dRdn.png
    (...and white floor)

I also tried to edit the GraphicRules.sgr file like for TS3 to increase the quality of textures, but 4 doesn’t support that – the result was slightly different to what I expected.

HTIEpnb.png

Some other things that annoyed me:

NhgXp7z.png
    (Roof inside the room)

5c8wXsR.png
    (Fake backdrops)

3qIVUmE.png
    (The rocket stays at a certain height and is still visible instead of disappear)

xS4hkhT.png

dkfqcNu.png
    (Objects stuck to sims’ hands)

CLnQCOE.png

5LO1IFh.png
    (If they wanted to create conjoined twins, this is not the best way of doing that)

pwlXU2J.png
    (Light from nothing)

WJBDb7U.png

PWTz5s5.png
    (They promised smarter RNG for clothing)

I don’t think the game is a complete failure though, it does have several things I liked. I haven’t played it since September 2014, but I will give it another try, either after it’s completely finished, or after a supernatural EP.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Sims 4 could be the death of the Sims series, it certainly feels like it's swan song and if they intend to keep making Sims like 4 then maybe it should be then end of The Sims.

I still think The Sims 4 has a lot of potential to come, such as toddlers, pets, vehicles, seasons, uni, etc. :) and think that there will be a Sims 5 after it. I'd be very shocked if there wasn't :)

Matthew.
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    What a subjective question that really boils down to personal taste or like.

For me, Sims4 is a good game. There are many aspects of it that I enjoy. There are things in it that I do think are an improvement over Sims3. I also think that no matter what gets added to it via expansions/game packs/free content, some will still say it is a bad game, it should just end and bring on Sims5.

I will not say that the game is perfect, its not. Do I like it better than Sims3, personally I do. Others do not. Play what you like ... why really care what other people think it.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    @BSIRegina - "potential" is, I think, often a way of saying "I'll finish judging it when all the EPs etc. are out". And given that for some people a Sims game doesn't feel complete without, say, pets or weather or supernaturals, I think it's reasonable that those people feel it's still a game with potential - the potential to be equivalent to or better than Sims 2 or 3 ended up being after those things were out. At this point in its life, for Sims 2, we had University, Nightlife, and OFB ... and knew we were missing pets and magic and holidays, because we'd had those for The Sims; for Sims 3, this far in, we had World Adventures, Ambitions, and Late Night ... and knew we were missing pets and seasons and university. I imagine that for many people, 18 months in, Sims 3 also still had potential.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • JinsiJinsi Posts: 40 Member
    Sims 4 is just a disappointment.. after playing Sims 3 for 5 years one gets used to the open world style, Sims 4 has just way to many load times.. "like travel to the park, load to get there ect, Just like sims 2..." Overall it's fun, better CAS and better building. the EPS and SPS are cool and different.
    Party time now and always
    04-17-16_12-21-49nbspAM_zpsjmsysdgz.png
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Sims 3 had already met potential from the day they released the base game - it only got more brilliant as it went on. Sims 4 shouldn't need an unknown amount of EPs and SPs to make it reach potential - I mean just how many of them are we supposed to buy before we say I see some potential?
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    Sennie wrote: »
    Sims 4 could be the death of the Sims series, it certainly feels like it's swan song and if they intend to keep making Sims like 4 then maybe it should be then end of The Sims.

I still think The Sims 4 has a lot of potential to come, such as toddlers, pets, vehicles, seasons, uni, etc. :) and think that there will be a Sims 5 after it. I'd be very shocked if there wasn't :)

Matthew.

You know what is really sad? After a year-and-a-half people are still saying it has potential. A person shouldn't have to wait for potential to be fulfilled. I never once looked at base TS2 and said, "well, it's not great now but it has potential," or said that about base TS3 for that matter. To me they were both very enjoyable base games and the expansion packs just made them better.

When it comes to toddlers and vehicles, they fully well should have been in the base game, and likely would have been if this version hadn't been originally developed for online multi-player mode. As for most of the other stuff I can definitely see adding them as expansions (optional content) since not everyone likes Pets and not necessarily everyone cares about higher education, but I'm hard pressed to see why at this point Seasons should be an expansion pack considering the real world has weather and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't enjoy that feature in a Sims game, and even then I'm not completely convinced that I won't ever get Seasons for TS3.

The sad fact of the matter is, I can see TS4 at the end of its run, having had numerous packs added to it, and many would-be players still sitting there saying, "You know, TS4 really had potential, didn't it?"

Maybe I'm just a hopeful person then :) I still see potential in this game because we still have so much to come, apartments, toddlers, Seasons, the possibility of pre-teens...I'm not a would-be player either. I've been playing since The Sims 3 since 2010 and have loved playing The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 :)

I know not everyone likes The Sims 4, or even plays it for that matter but I for one have been playing it a lot recently and am enjoying every second of it and I still don't have all The Sims 4 games out yet :)
    As I said before, I'm enjoying The Sims 4 and think it's still got a lot of potential to come.

Matthew.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2016
    @BSIRegina - "potential" is, I think, often a way of saying "I'll finish judging it when all the EPs etc. are out". And given that for some people a Sims game doesn't feel complete without, say, pets or weather or supernaturals, I think it's reasonable that those people feel it's still a game with potential - the potential to be equivalent to or better than Sims 2 or 3 ended up being after those things were out. At this point in its life, for Sims 2, we had University, Nightlife, and OFB ... and knew we were missing pets and magic and holidays, because we'd had those for The Sims; for Sims 3, this far in, we had World Adventures, Ambitions, and Late Night ... and knew we were missing pets and seasons and university. I imagine that for many people, 18 months in, Sims 3 also still had potential.
    When The Beatles released She Loves You they showed they had potential. That doesn't mean people couldn't judge that song.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    When The Beatles released She Loves You they showed they had potential. That doesn't mean people couldn't judge that song.

Slightly off topic here, but I love that song :) ! My dad was a really big Beatles fan :)

Matthew.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If you game, any game, there are those moments in your life when you can't wait to start up that game. Be it at work, in the bathroom, while dining, or on top of Mount Everest. If the game isn't doing that for you, then it's a failure. I can remember days at work back in TS2 days when I would be working very hard but eating away at me in the back of my mind was what I was going to do in my game when I got home from work. It also was the first game to inspire me to 'create' clothes, hair, skins and even try my hand at objects without having one iota of how that was done, but I know I had the desire and did try. It was also the first game where I grew to love building and exploring everything many great builders wrote about of how to do. I didn't do that in TS1 I just played. TS2 broadened my outlook on gaming. I went on to try modding other games, no matter how silly they turned out, and talking with those other type fans about how games are built, how to do things, and even learned from TS2 how to strip down my pcs and replace everything. I think a game that does all that and inspires you to branch out from your comfort zone is more than a game but a tool that allows you to reach deep inside to see what you can do, too.

TS4 does that on one level with building in this game but then it limits your ability to build particular things due to a lack of sculpting tools. If we want to say TS4 is a failure it would depend on what the player had experienced before, and where it allowed them to express that creativity and or if it hampers it. Considering The Sims isn't about just playing but branching out into areas you would never dream you would.
    Only very few games have done that for me. But I agree that the Sims 2 did in a couple of years. Then it didn't anymore and I stopped buying expansions for it because I realized that the main qualities were in the basegame. The expansions usually just were advertised to make everything even easier in the game. But what I wanted was the exact opposite. So I attempted to instead make the game harder by making my own restrictions. This worked - but only for some time.

Other games that have done this for me were Civilization 1, Might&Magic 6, Starcraft 1, Ages of Empires 1 and a few other games. But it has become much harder to find such games today - probably because I have played so many games that I have become hard to impress ;)

Slightly off topic here, but I love that song :) ! My dad was a really big Beatles fan :)

Matthew.
    Really :smiley: ? Me too :blush:
    5JZ57S6.png

Matthew.

Well that definitely means you get an Awesome :) !!

Elvis is and always will be my favourite, but The Beatles did some really awesome songs as well :)
    I wish Elvis was still here, and that The Beatles were still around because it would have been great to have their music done in Simlish in The Sims :)

Matthew.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

Matthew.

Elvis is and always will be my favourite, but The Beatles did some really awesome songs as well :)
    I wish Elvis was still here, and that The Beatles were still around because it would have been great to have their music done in Simlish in The Sims :)

Matthew.

lol....maybe that would get me to buy the Sims4...Beatles, Elvis, and toddlers!! :)
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    For myself, I see no potential in this game. I was so disappointed with all the things that were left out. The only thing I liked about it were the sims themselves, they move better than sims3.

Matthew.

Matthew.
    Without Elvis no Beatles I think, he was a big influence on them.
    (yeah, The Sims aren't my only interest :# )
    catitude5 wrote: »
    For myself, I see no potential in this game. I was so disappointed with all the things that were left out. The only thing I liked about it were the sims themselves, they move better than sims3.
    Oh my sims know how to move alright. No complaints there.

Zwerver_1404_zpszvk9b9i7.png

Although...

Zwerver_1407_zpsuvs8cstp.png
    5JZ57S6.png
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    @JoAnne65
    Is that Phoebe? She gets ooooooooooold!!!
    Nothing wrong with being old eusa_snooty.gif

5JZ57S6.png
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    edited April 2016
    I enjoy it, but it could be so much better with today's technology.

Toddlers
    Open neighborhoods W/O LAG
    Weather
    Graveyards
    Family relationships
    Broken family trees
    No cars
    No color wheel
    No create a world

Are some examples of why the game is a failure.
  • jaleena1958brendaljaleena1958brendal Posts: 24 Member
    I think S4 is not a failure but a work in progress. I loved the game but soon became bored. Why? Because there needs to be improvements made such as:

Add a Disable All Players Comments button or option in the Gallery. Players are using it to harass & bully other players.

We need more build objects, such as skylights, sprinklers, paintings, appliances, cabinets, couches, tables, chairs, plumbing, etc

Colors ( a color palette or wheel)

New patterns for floors, walls and ceilings.

Just handing out a few build items in packs is really disappointing. There are people that love to design & play. That's me! I had hoped that S4 would be a modern and updated S3. I'm still waiting for that. While I'm waiting on the improvements, I'll be playing S3.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I think S4 is not a failure but a work in progress. I loved the game but soon became bored. Why? Because there needs to be improvements made such as:

Add a Disable All Players Comments button or option in the Gallery. Players are using it to harass & bully other players.

We need more build objects, such as skylights, sprinklers, paintings, appliances, cabinets, couches, tables, chairs, plumbing, etc

Colors ( a color palette or wheel)

New patterns for floors, walls and ceilings.

Just handing out a few build items in packs is really disappointing. There are people that love to design & play. That's me! I had hoped that S4 would be a modern and updated S3. I'm still waiting for that. While I'm waiting on the improvements, I'll be playing S3.

They've already said that color wheel thing is an impossibility so there you go.

In the pre-TS3 games I always had scads of custom wall and floor coverings to do everything I wanted and then I was still making and downloading more. I use so very little CC simply because I can recolor almost everything.

In other areas the game always has fallen short. I don't have all the TS3 content available but I do have a good share of it but there still aren't nearly enough decorative plants and I can always use more chest-type devices for storing things.

Mentioning works in progress makes me think of Minecraft. I bought that game in beta for $20. It was indeed a work in progress that has had many updates and additions over the years, every one completely free. If Notch had been charging even $40 for Minecraft during that phase no one would have bought it. People don't usually pay full AAA game prices for "works in progress". They usually expect a finished game, and of course when it comes to Sims games, that's a finished base game that we expect to flesh out with expansion packs and possibly other extra content. I've seen the contents of some of the packs released for TS4 and I can honestly say I've seen sets in the TS3 store with more things than those and for less money.

I just picked up the 70s, 80s & 90s pack for TS3. It has 31 Build/Buy things plus 41 CAS assets, some of which are only costume make-up. I also bought the Movie Stuff pack with its 38 Build/Buy assets plus 60 things for CAS. The original price for those packs was $20 and to my mind even that price was too expensive for some of them. How does anything released for TS4 compare to that?
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    @JoAnne65

Did I say that? Lance looks still very handsome for being almost 60 :p
    edited April 2016
    @JoAnne65

Did I say that? Lance looks still very handsome for being almost 60 :p
    Let's say you sort of implied it :p Yeah, age becomes some people and Lance is one of them :blush:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @drake_mccarty, I sort of believe the Sims Social was probably the biggest fail that came out of Maxis then maybe TS4, and SC a distant third failure if we are talking about fan approval. I sort of believe (for some odd reason) TS4 is not doing much better than TSM did. Sure there was some of us that really loved that game but not enough of the mainstream players invested in it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top