Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some tweets from simguru graham about lounge chairs, packs releases etc

Comments

• ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    @DaniqaSimmer they actually have the sittin animation that works for the chair.. It might not be how its gonna be in the game if it ever comes but its still a step forward
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I don't like it when devs say that 'people didn't like [blank] pack' so we won't be making it. Not liking a certain feature doesn't mean that one doesn't like the concept. Just do it better next time. It's the same excuse devs have hinted on talking about other features that weren't 'played' as much as other features. Just because something wasn't used, doesn't mean people doesn't want it, it just means it was badly executed, and just needs to be done better. Especially a life simulator where everything is useable as long as it is well done. Just give us options what to use in our darn games, then you won't have a problem with people complaining about features. WA was not 'hated' because it wasn't a good concept, it just wasn't very well done to some people. It's all about a feature being adaptable and well done in the game. Nothing else.
    So BOO.

It's also possible that some concept just don't have enough appeal, regardless of its execution. And I'm not sure the "concept" of WA had such a broad appeal, at least it doesn't interest me. I don't want adventures for my Sims so I hope they'll do a more classic vacation EP.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Looks like no World Adventures then. Too many people didn't seem to like it apparently...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    They are just saying that an SP is supposed to be mainly objects (or "stuff"). SP's are not supposed to introduce a bunch of new animations, as the GP's were specifically designed to incorporate a moderate amount of new animations, interactions, and mechanics that a typical stuff pack would not have.

GP's are supposed to be for adding things like lounge chairs; things that mainly require attention to the way the animations and interactions work opposed to the design of the object itself.

SP's are supposed to be for adding things like hot tubs; objects that don't require too much (or any) attention to the way the animations/interactions work. The stuff packs are there to expand on the items that we currently have instead of introducing new ones.

Some of the SP's are kinda lame for 10 dollars to me ... I would pay $5, but I haven't seen sales at that price yet. But Spooky Stuff is an example of a pack that is good for 10 dollars, despite the theme being really niche.

I guess it comes down to preference ... do the items in an EP/GP/SP justify the price for you? I haven't had that problem with the GP'S and EP's, only the SP's.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited April 2016
    Neia wrote: »
    I don't like it when devs say that 'people didn't like [blank] pack' so we won't be making it. Not liking a certain feature doesn't mean that one doesn't like the concept. Just do it better next time. It's the same excuse devs have hinted on talking about other features that weren't 'played' as much as other features. Just because something wasn't used, doesn't mean people doesn't want it, it just means it was badly executed, and just needs to be done better. Especially a life simulator where everything is useable as long as it is well done. Just give us options what to use in our darn games, then you won't have a problem with people complaining about features. WA was not 'hated' because it wasn't a good concept, it just wasn't very well done to some people. It's all about a feature being adaptable and well done in the game. Nothing else.
    So BOO.

It's also possible that some concept just don't have enough appeal, regardless of its execution. And I'm not sure the "concept" of WA had such a broad appeal, at least it doesn't interest me. I don't want adventures for my Sims so I hope they'll do a more classic vacation EP.
    Yes ofcourse, but any concept can be done and tweaked to the better. You take what worked and then change the rest. I think concepts like WA doesn't work because it wasn't flexible enough and that it wasn't customizable enough. For instance, if you could imagine some sort of iteration of that same concept in your game, then you can change it. For instance a more classic vacation expansion but with options to go on adventures? I'd love the idea of going on vacations and decide if I want to do more classic vacation things with my sims, or have a crazy adventure with other sims. ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    edited April 2016
    So BOO.

Yes ofcourse, but any concept can be done and tweaked to the better. You take what worked and then change the rest. I think concepts like WA doesn't work because it wasn't flexible enough and that it wasn't customizable enough. For instance, if you could imagine some sort of iteration of that same concept in your game, then you can change it. For instance a more classic vacation expansion but with options to go on adventures? I'd love the idea of going on vacations and decide if I want to do more classic vacation things with my sims, or have a crazy adventure with other sims. ;)

Well there is such thing as a bad idea too ;)

An EP with both classic vacation and adventures would have less of each than an EP that focused only on one of them. Think of the feedback on GTW and how doing both wasn't the best for some people. Would that work for a vacation EP ? I don't know, but when I'm going in vacation with my Sims, I want sandbox gameplay, relaxing, sports and family activities, various destinations, not adventures, exploration and puzzles.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Wait....every one cares so deeply about lounge chairs, but not about the fact we probably won't have a vacation pack??? That makes me so sad. I was one of the people who loved exploring the worlds. Also, I hope that does not mean just because not every player likes it we won't get other packs (looking at Supernatural/Making Magic) :'(
  • Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Maybe this whole "multitasking" thing was a bad idea, since it seems to be making it so much harder for them to add stuff to the game (and it's apparently the reason they brought back loading screens). Just sayin'.

As far as World Adventures goes, check out the reviews of it on Metacritic. It has the highest rating of any TS3 EP. And before anyone pipes up and says "I don't care what game reviewers say!" sure, you might not, but game publishers do.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Looks like no World Adventures then. Too many people didn't seem to like it apparently...

Boo! I love World Adventures, and it's exactly the type of EP I'm craving in my game right now. I hope they do make something similar to WA, but make it more vacation/tourism based and have tomb raiding as a side feature rather than the main feature of the pack. :)
    Wait....every one cares so deeply about lounge chairs, but not about the fact we probably won't have a vacation pack??? That makes me so sad. I was one of the people who loved exploring the worlds. Also, I hope that does not mean just because not every player likes it we won't get other packs (looking at Supernatural/Making Magic) :'(

Outdoor Retreat is a vacation GP, so there could be a vacation GP with a seaside/beach theme, with lounge chairs for example. We're still at the beginning of TS4 life cycle, so who knows what will come next !
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I really liked WA too. I hope they mean that they just won't do another adventure type pack and might still do vacations, I'll be so disappointed if we're stuck with Granite Falls as the only vacation destination forever. I want Supernaturals back too, I hope they don't say "it didn't do well" and never add it :|
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    @Aine

Yeah, I love the idea of a vacation EP ... TS3's WA and Ambitions EP's made me not want to play the game. Quite honestly, I found the adventure thing kind of stupid ... I play The Sims to not have to do anything like that, because there are games that are way more interesting and do it way better.

If the concept were more loose, I could get into that ... like, if it weren't so, "step here", "do this", and it just generally had places that your Sims could explore to find little Easter eggs, I think that would be cool. TS2's Bon Voyage was one of my favourite EP's ... I loved how it looked visually, and the community lots were pretty fun. I like the idea of "adventuring", but not one where I am doing puzzles. I would like for the puzzle thing to be less frequent and more subtle ... like, I don't want the game to nudge you into placing objects in a pattern, but you just do it randomly because you are just playing around. I think that sort of adventuring is fun ... not really into being Indiana Jones in the Sims.

I just like the idea of having lots to explore (like that house in Windenburg with the maze is a really cool lot) and finding things that put a story together for some of the Sims that were designed with the GP/EP.

I am glad that they wouldn't try to recreate WA though. I want a vacation EP ... I've loved TS1/TS2 vacation EP's, but I definitely do not want something like WA.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Guy's all he's saying about lounge chairs is that it would require all fresh animations... which is too much resource allocated for a SP. It's not that they CANT do it, it's just that it would be need to be done within a GP or EP.

It's the same concept as to why people thought SD had LESS than OR. It's not the case. A lot of the features that came in OR were already animations that existed in the game (gathering, gardening etc). However, in SD, there's 12 animations just for yoga!!!
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited April 2016
    So BOO.

Well there is such thing as a bad idea too ;)

An EP with both classic vacation and adventures would have less of each than an EP that focused only on one of them. Think of the feedback on GTW and how doing both wasn't the best for some people. Would that work for a vacation EP ? I don't know, but when I'm going in vacation with my Sims, I want sandbox gameplay, relaxing, sports and family activities, various destinations, not adventures, exploration and puzzles.

Full disclosure, I actually never played WA, so I have to concede to your point. ;) However I feel that the devs use the excuse of something not being played enough to not do something at all a little too much imho. WA just happened to be the example of this particular thread. I do agree that any feature have to be completely fleshed out, instead of trying to do multiple things and fail a little at all of them. I would have loved to have GTW be two EPs instead of one, and each build on the other. I'd love to have a vacation EP and an adventure EP, both completely fleshed out and both building on each other.
    I love all those things you mentioned playing - I guess I have such wild imagination, I can imagine doing ALOT of different things in the sims - it's a 'bad' habit of mine, I've dreaming about the possibilities of the sims since I first played it 16 years ago. :p Oh the things you could do with it!

@Luke Yeah exactly. :)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Not a fan of exploring collecting or anything like that so I'm glad to see World Adventures is not planned for Sims 4 but with these closed off lots with open areas its not like you can world explore anyways better it stay with Sims 3.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    that's good to see actually. It's some communication. I can understand about the lounge chairs. You have to weight the result of what we would be getting vs. the time and effort put in to give us that one thing. Honestly that's a lot of work for one type of piece of furniture. Maybe eventually.

And it sounds like (as I suspected) they do want to be able to tell us more than they are, they just can't. I can't fault them one single iota for remaining silent went their jobs are on the line if they don't.

I agree, yes ,modders make it for free, but we don't know the hours they are putting in and keep in mind many modders work on ONE thing and nothing else until that object is released. I agree with Graham on this one. Now if he would have said it COULDN'T be done then I would have called bull. He was just weighing cost, time, money management.....which to be honest I get baffled what some people ask for sometimes. I couldn't care less about a dang lounge chair. I am sick of these minute requests. I am ready for something substantial in the game, it needs it.....badly.......
  • purplereignpurplereign Posts: 111 Member
    Has anybody noticed that the hospital beds look like loungers? And the sims will recline when they're given food. I wonder what the problem is? I'm confused as to why it's so difficult for them to put loungers in the game.
  • TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited April 2016
    Has anybody noticed that the hospital beds look like loungers? And the sims will recline when they're given food. I wonder what the problem is? I'm confused as to why it's so difficult for them to put loungers in the game.

Read the tweet, it is not about the lounge animation, it is about all the social animations.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited April 2016
    World Adventures.... Divisive?

Oh because people didn't like Vacations and the Adventures together?

Are you kidding? I love going on adventures whether I'm on vacation or not, that's the whole point of me going on the expedition

If I'm not going to go raid a temple for a magic Lamp, or some mythical magical artifact, then there's no point in Destinations Worlds, including Island Paradise

In that case I can vacation from home thank you very much!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I get what he is saying and how it would be a lengthy process to make them work smoothly in the game. Mods aren't perfect, not even close so saying a modder has already done it is silly. If EA released lounge chairs to the same standard a modder would, there would be outrage.

I do think that they are worth the effort though. Being by a pool isn't the same without them. When we have usuable beaches there presence will be missed even more. I think they should release them with Seasons and they could be used for the summer months to sunbathe outside. Expansion packs surely have the time and budget to cover it.

I expect very little from Stuff Packs anyway, I think they are a waste of resources and money, our money that is.
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I wasn't a fan of the adventures in WA but really loved simfu and I guess it will not happen in this iteration. If lounge chairs are a expensive and time consuming action, simfu will most likely be a nightmare for the sims team. LOL, SMH.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    all I read though that whole thing was: "too hard, too expensive"