Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*UPDATED* Supported Graphics Card List (The Sims 4 Edition)

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thank you! How long would you say as maximum session? Just to be cautious and make sure I'm thinking the right amount of time ;) I'll be sure to save up for a cooling pad and play a small amount until then!

Budget cooling pad:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-NC3500-Plus-Cooler-Laptop/dp/B0084GVY66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459984483&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+cooling+pad
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-NC11-Performance-Cooler-Laptop/dp/B0084GVXNA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459984544&sr=8-2&keywords=zalman+cooling+pad
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've got a TOSHIBA Satellite L50-C-1GX (if you google it a currys/pc world website should be one of the first which is where I bought it from I just can't post links yet!) I've been playing sims 4 on this since January and it works fine, it's got Intel HD Graphics which is red on this thread and I do personally play it at a lower resolution and I don't really mind because at least I still get to play! However I read a thread that said playing a game on a integrated graphics card will break my laptop... is that true because now I'm not sure whether to play it even though I spent every single penny I have on this laptop as it was the best I could afford, if I knew I couldn't play sims on it I would've just bought a cheaper one for the use of the internet etc... :(

It will not "break " it right away, However it can put a huge amount of stress on the graphics chip and the motherboard which could possibly lead to damage with heavy prolonged use. It's basically putting unwanted stress on something that was not designed for gaming.

So I should stop playing sims on it? :(

If it's all you have then i wouldnt stop.. just dont play extremely long sessions and buy a very good cooling pad. CoolerMaster and thermaltake make good ones.

Thank you! How long would you say as maximum session? Just to be cautious and make sure I'm thinking the right amount of time ;) I'll be sure to save up for a cooling pad and play a small amount until then!

Depends on the settings, Lowest shouldnt be a problem for 4-6 hours sessions with cooling pad. But if you're going Medium or so, I wouldnt play as long as low.

I dont think you should do 12 hour sessions each day or anything, but anything up to 8 hours should do fine as long as its on Low. I can't see playing sims or any game for that long anyways :D
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • casperh374casperh374 Posts: 5 New Member
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13

i know having Nvidia 930M paired with bottleneck processor and 2gb ram sounds ridiculous, almost impossible imo lol. but that's what my laptop's spec tells. it's up to you if you want to believe it or not, besides what benefits do I get from faking my spec? anyway, thx for your reply :smile:
  • luluugeorgiaaluluugeorgiaa Posts: 7 New Member
    (I can't post links but of you search "[Laptop Fan] E-PRANCE® X4 17 inch Laptop Cooler with 4 Fans at 1200 RPM,Ultra-Portable,Light Weight" on amazon its £12.98 on sale)
    Does this one look OK? Good reviews and on sale at a good price and it looks good! Just want a professional opinion before I order it :)
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    May I ask why you're even listing these? Any hardware which supports the graphic APIs upon which the game was developed, can read data over the PCI interface and into graphic memory at the required rate, and can buffer and process graphic data at a 'cinematic' rate will fully run the product. These standards were created specifically to meet this requirement so there isn't any reason to create lists or warn anyone about the 'power level' of any device.

Where is this 'tech responders' team?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    casperh374 wrote: »
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13

i know having Nvidia 930M paired with bottleneck processor and 2gb ram sounds ridiculous, almost impossible imo lol. but that's what my laptop's spec tells. it's up to you if you want to believe it or not, besides what benefits do I get from faking my spec? anyway, thx for your reply :smile:

You did not post the entire dxdiag just bits and pieces which was hard to make out and I will say it is odd to have a computer with a 930m with only 2gb computer ram. If that is the case having only 2gb computer ram would be your biggest problem. You need at least 4gb to run the game not including extra ram for windows, origin and other programs. I don't know if your laptop can be upgraded on the ram or if its under warranty you may not be able to change the computer but its something you should check into. Having 8gb of computer ram would really help if you want to run the game
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    May I ask why you're even listing these? Any hardware which supports the graphic APIs upon which the game was developed, can read data over the PCI interface and into graphic memory at the required rate, and can buffer and process graphic data at a 'cinematic' rate will fully run the product. These standards were created specifically to meet this requirement so there isn't any reason to create lists or warn anyone about the 'power level' of any device.

Oh really? Then why did I get rid of my old ATi Radeon 9250? It's a GPU from 2004 and it supports the graphics APIs that The Sims 4 use (DirectX 9) So I guess I wasted my money on a newer GPU,huh?
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.

Oh really? Then why did I get rid of my old ATi Radeon 9250? It's a GPU from 2004 and it supports the graphics APIs that The Sims 4 use (DirectX 9) So I guess I wasted my money on a newer GPU,huh?

I'll bet that tech responders team can answer that for you which is why I'm asking for them. Have you seen them yet?
    edited April 2016
    I'll bet that tech responders team can answer that for you which is why I'm asking for them. Have you seen them yet?

Why don't you answer Fonxi? ;)

Just curious.

Why don't you answer Fonxi? ;)

Just curious.

Fonxi's assertion is erroneous and irrelevant to my two questions which were the point of that post.

Where is the 'tech responders team' and why is anyone listing video cards then claiming to verify adequacy of power and detection capabilities of the game engine?
    Fonxi's assertion is erroneous and irrelevant to my two questions which were the point of that post.

Fair enough.
    Just a note this list has not been updated in a while . Since then many patches and eps have been added. When that happens the game specs change why it is wise to look at EA's recommended requirements for desktop to survive this game. The list is just a guild line for what may work with the game on earlier eps and or patches but the game has changed since then. Only the person who started this thread or the Gurus can modify or edit the list

Would not be wise to keep a 12 year old gpu :p Glad your enjoying your new gpu :D
  • JacksonBaileySimsJacksonBaileySims Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I want to buy Sims 4 but i'm not sure if it'll run on my Mac, here are my specifications -

MacBook Pro Retina 13 - Late 2013
    OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.5 Beta (15F18c)
    Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris 1536MB
    Hi, I want to buy Sims 4 but i'm not sure if it'll run on my Mac, here are my specifications -

MacBook Pro Retina 13 - Late 2013
    OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.5 Beta (15F18c)
    Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris 1536MB

check the mac section http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/813226/can-my-mac-run-the-sims-4-answers-can-be-found-here#latest
  • phyrereiiphyrereii Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! I'm a longtime Macbook user currently considering converting and getting a Razer Blade Stealth. I've searched everywhere for info on the installed graphics card. I cannot find it on an approved list within the EA forums, nor can I find much information about it by Googling it, could someone please assist?

Display size/resolution- 13-inch 3,840 x 2,160 touchscreen
    PC CPU- 2.5Ghz Intel Core i7-6500U
    PC Memory- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1,600MHz
    Graphics- 1024MB Intel HD Graphics 520
    Storage- 256GB SSD
    Operating system- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Like I said...I cannot find information on "Intel HD Graphics 520" anywhere! Would this laptop be able to handle TS4?
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    phyrereii wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a longtime Macbook user currently considering converting and getting a Razer Blade Stealth. I've searched everywhere for info on the installed graphics card. I cannot find it on an approved list within the EA forums, nor can I find much information about it by Googling it, could someone please assist?

Display size/resolution- 13-inch 3,840 x 2,160 touchscreen
    PC CPU- 2.5Ghz Intel Core i7-6500U
    PC Memory- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1,600MHz
    Graphics- 1024MB Intel HD Graphics 520
    Storage- 256GB SSD
    Operating system- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Like I said...I cannot find information on "Intel HD Graphics 520" anywhere! Would this laptop be able to handle TS4?

Welcome @phyrereii the integrated chip Intel 520 is reviewed here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html

Because it's onboard, attached to motherboard and doesn't have its own dedicated memory it isn't the best option for playing the series. For laptops that can handle games for its life time you want to look for dual graphics, meaning onboard and dedicated. For example Intel/ nvidia like here http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-15_100_Gaming_Laptop
  • MissSteff89MissSteff89 Posts: 83 New Member
    Then how come my sim 3 is experiencing serious lagging?

my graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    I don't know how to figure the average fps when it jumps so much. Right now on ultra it's hitting 200 while in the town view.
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    @MissSteff89 Nvidia just released a new video driver 5/2/2016 - try the new driver.

@Angelllite7 What is the low? I suggest to turn on vsync.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Guys keep in mind with some motherboards the 32GB max memory it supports also includes the graphics card memory, other motherboards may not count the graphics memory is the max memory. So in reality its hard to tell. I been trying to get more info on this subject, but when I ask the question I keep getting the 32bit/64 memory soft limit, as it was not a hard limit by a hardware, but was posed on by the operating system. Even though the older 32bit motherboards would have never reached the soft limit of the OS, because the hardware limit was way lower than Microsoft and some other OS memory soft limit. I had a computer at one time its max memory size was only 1GB, Wow how things have changed.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    bob007 wrote: »
    @MissSteff89 Nvidia just released a new video driver 5/2/2016 - try the new driver.

@Angelllite7 What is the low? I suggest to turn on vsync.

Why vsync it runs smooth? And the low was around 20.
    Why vsync it runs smooth? And the low was around 20.

Without V-Sync enabled, you'll end up frying the graphics card, because it is pushing out unnecessary frames per second (FPS); your graphics card should only push out as much as your monitor's refresh rate is (60 is the most common; 120 is second common).

V-Sync can be optional when it comes to online gaming (first-person shooters is a good example), since it can cause input lag... But that is debatable.

It is best to enable V-Sync in either NVidia's Control Panel or AMD's Radeon Software Crimson Edition (Catalyst Control Center if you do not use RSCE).

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
  • MissSteff89MissSteff89 Posts: 83 New Member
    Guys I cannot afford a new pc lol now I just paid 1000$ for my computer, look at my specs, isn't all this good for the sims 3 ?

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 5/5/2016, 21:34:49
    Machine name: DESKTOP-QR6V8GB
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160223-1728)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUS
    System Model: All Series
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/02/15 11:04:38 Ver: 24.01
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
    Page File: 4024MB used, 14730MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

my sims 3 is supposed to run smoothly
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Guys I cannot afford a new pc lol now I just paid 1000$ for my computer, look at my specs, isn't all this good for the sims 3 ?

System Information
    Time of this report: 5/5/2016, 21:34:49
    Machine name: DESKTOP-QR6V8GB
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160223-1728)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUS
    System Model: All Series
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/02/15 11:04:38 Ver: 24.01
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
    Page File: 4024MB used, 14730MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

my sims 3 is supposed to run smoothly

Um , were you even suppose to put that information on the Forum page ? just wondering.