Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruDrake has spoken :

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    @Neia
    TS3 was published. When I say sales figures, I mean actual units sold, in 2009 EA boasts of units sold to investors here . Forecasts must be realistic, taking public reception into perspective. With reception TS4 had, forecast figures could not have been high (makes it easy to say the game did better than expected)…if the numbers were so great they would have been published a la TS3.

In 2009 perhaps, in 2016 EA no longer releases any sales figures, no matter the game, and no matter how successful it may or may not be : Starwars Battlefront, Battlefield, Dragon Age Inquisition, Need for Speed, Unravel or Fifa sales figures were not revealed either. It's not specific to the Sims. Which means that no, if the numbers were so great, they would have done what they do nowadays for all their games : no sales figures.
    It's by no means scientific nor meant that way, but "preordering" was a common verb back in the TS3 days on the forum I visited. For Sims 4 it is "Sounds great, I'm going to wait for a sale".

"Preordering" would be more common here if preordering was actually available for anything but EPs. Lots of people come on the boards when a GP or SP is announced asking why they can't preorder. A lot of people were doing the same with preorders for GT, which didn't start till well after the announcement. But you won't see those questions in General Discussion because they quickly get moved if they start here at all. Excitement about EPs and GPs and SPs after they've been announced gets hidden from forum view to people who don't go look for it.
    Ah, ok, I didn't know that. Reason for preordering btw was also the extra content you'd get come to think of it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I can wait, it's not a problem to me... the problem is: I have a budged for my hobbies. Now if I know in advance that something is coming to the Sims I hold my money. That's why I don't think their strategy works with me... they announce something when it's ready to come out, and the chance is I already spent my budged so they get to wait then... even years if I'm not interested in the game at that moment. But I'm only one, so who cares.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I was on the forums yesterday when it went down :o I was so happy because I knew they were getting ready to patch the game or make an announcement!

I was running from Facebook, to twitter, to the forums, to Sims Community......It was an insane moment :D

Then I found out it was service issues....I became sad :'( Then after reading threads I became angry because no patch or announcement :angry:

I then saw Paula Dean riding a stick of butter and thought I would die of laughter and I realized.......that

Ea/Maxis has been watching me since the year 2000 :o I feel I am to blame for all these mood swings in the game :(
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Caronte wrote: »
    She's often said she can't talk about something. It's well-known in the Sims community by now that nobody at Maxis can talk about future content till there's a go-ahead on that. You need her to say that every single time she posts??

I just don't understand why she's made this silly little game with the gifs. If you can't talk about something then don't do it. But this whole "every week I'll tell you if I can announce something with a gif" only makes people live in a constant state of 'expecting' some kind of announcement that never comes and then getting disappointed every week, instead of playing what they already have.

The forum is already pretty negative as it is, and that only makes it worse in my opinion.

Although apparently she's not posting the 'no' gifs anymore, so I guess that's something.
    People are doing that anyway and I think it was meant as a funny little gesture towards fans. Nothing to get grumpy about. Maybe it has side effects that are less pleasant but I don't think you can hold her responsable for that. I also can't believe those GIF's will keep people from playing the game, that would be really sad. The Store teasers for Sims 3 the first half of 2014 never stopped me from playing my game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CaronteCaronte Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    Drake already said that (s)he was using the gifs as a way to lighten the mood. You have to understand that it must not be easy to come here every week to tell eager fans bad news. So using gifs is just a way to make the bad news less dry. Anyway, I don't get what's so wrong with using gifs. It's a just a way to give the bad news in the best way (s)he's allowed to. I'm sure Drake would very much prefer to come here and spill the beans about the next EP and be the "nice" one and the beloved Guru who brings the good news to the eager fans. But (s)he's not allowed to. EA has a strict silence policy. At least Drake communicates with us and tells us that we shouldn't sit here expecting an announcement this week because it's not coming. Anyway, I guess some people will always find something to complain about:...

The problem isn't really the gifs, it's the 'game' of answering the question of whether something is coming or not every week. Let the announcement be a surprise, like in pretty much every single game out there, and not something like "finally, this week something's coming" and then going back to the same routine of people complaining when the content is out in two weeks.

I've never seen an official forum where so many threads are about people complaining, saying you have to be patient or saying nothing is going to be announced with then people complaining about their disappointment, even in DLC-heavy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universallis 4.

The impatience comes from this weekly routine, if things where different people would still complain about the lack of content in the game,of course, but the forum would have a very different mood.
    People are doing that anyway and I think it was meant as a funny little gesture towards fans. Nothing to get grumpy about. Maybe it has side effects that are less pleasant but I don't think you can hold her responsable for that. I also can't believe those GIF's will keep people from playing the game, that would be really sad. The Store teasers for Sims 3 the first half of 2014 never stopped me from playing my game.

It's not stopping me from playing either. I might have given the impression that I'm waiting for some kind of announcement too, but I don't really care, I have other things to play. What bothers me is that every time I come to the forum I see the same tiresome people/threads complaining about everything and then saying they won't play the game anymore (this is mostly on the feedback forum). And, in my eyes, this is part of what's causing that.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited April 2016
    Drake already said that (s)he was using the gifs as a way to lighten the mood. You have to understand that it must not be easy to come here every week to tell eager fans bad news. So using gifs is just a way to make the bad news less dry. Anyway, I don't get what's so wrong with using gifs. It's a just a way to give the bad news in the best way (s)he's allowed to. I'm sure Drake would very much prefer to come here and spill the beans about the next EP and be the "nice" one and the beloved Guru who brings the good news to the eager fans. But (s)he's not allowed to. EA has a strict silence policy. At least Drake communicates with us and tells us that we shouldn't sit here expecting an announcement this week because it's not coming. Anyway, I guess some people will always find something to complain about:...

The problem isn't really the gifs, it's the 'game' of answering the question of whether something is coming or not every week. Let the announcement be a surprise, like in pretty much every single game out there, and not something like "finally, this week something's coming" and then going back to the same routine of people complaining when the content is out in two weeks.

I've never seen an official forum where so many threads are about people complaining, saying you have to be patient or saying nothing is going to be announced with then people complaining about their disappointment, even in DLC-heavy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universallis 4.

The impatience comes from this weekly routine, if things where different people would still complain about the lack of content in the game,of course, but the forum would have a very different mood.

The thing is fans asked for it. It was fans that asked the SimGurus to be more transparent and at least tell us whether an announcement was coming. People were impatient way before this weekly routine. Since announcements usually come on Tuesdays, every Monday the forums filled with speculation threads where everyone wondered whether we would get an announcement or not. Then when we didn't hear anything from EA, people got mad and complained about the lack of communication.

It was in that context that Drake started to post the no gifs, to end speculation and so that people were not so disappointed once Tuesday came and went and no announcement was made.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

But I like knowing if something's coming this week !

I don't know if you were browsing the forum before SimGuruDrake started posting the gif but people were just complaining about silence, that we knew what was coming during the TS2/TS3 era, and all kind of things like that. There was as much impatience before, only it was all week long, and not just on mondays.
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I understand that people are unhappy with the current content in Sims 4 and want more so that they can feel satisfied, but it's not SimGuruDrake's fault that EA has a terrible policy. If anything, the anger should be directed towards the CEO of EA, the VP of the EA mobile division, and Rachel Franklin as the leader of what's left of Maxis.

My speculation is that a whole bunch of people were laid off during the restructuring that merged Maxis into the EA mobile division. That's how most restructurings go, we're only now seeing the effects of a smaller, diminished Maxis. Secondly, I think the developers have reached the limits of what the game engine can do under the constraints of the minimum requirements. Introducing relationship culling was a last, desperate measure to squeeze in the new gameplay of Get Together. What else can they cull? It's pretty clear they can't add anything new without taking away something else. What else could they remove from the game? They would never have introduced relationship culling unless it was absolutely necessary. I think they are finding it very difficult to introduce anything new or are trying to figure out how to remove more interactions/content without impacting the game too much.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Neia
    TS3 was published. When I say sales figures, I mean actual units sold, in 2009 EA boasts of units sold to investors here . Forecasts must be realistic, taking public reception into perspective. With reception TS4 had, forecast figures could not have been high (makes it easy to say the game did better than expected)…if the numbers were so great they would have been published a la TS3.

In 2009 perhaps, in 2016 EA no longer releases any sales figures, no matter the game, and no matter how successful it may or may not be : Starwars Battlefront, Battlefield, Dragon Age Inquisition, Need for Speed, Unravel or Fifa sales figures were not revealed either. It's not specific to the Sims. Which means that no, if the numbers were so great, they would have done what they do nowadays for all their games : no sales figures.
    It's by no means scientific nor meant that way, but "preordering" was a common verb back in the TS3 days on the forum I visited. For Sims 4 it is "Sounds great, I'm going to wait for a sale".

"Preordering" would be more common here if preordering was actually available for anything but EPs. Lots of people come on the boards when a GP or SP is announced asking why they can't preorder. A lot of people were doing the same with preorders for GT, which didn't start till well after the announcement. But you won't see those questions in General Discussion because they quickly get moved if they start here at all. Excitement about EPs and GPs and SPs after they've been announced gets hidden from forum view to people who don't go look for it.
    Ah, ok, I didn't know that. Reason for preordering btw was also the extra content you'd get come to think of it.

For sure. I didn't preorder the EPs for that reason - without the added content, I might as well wait till I know I have time to play with them. (By pure chance that ended up being "at launch" for both of them so far, but it always comes down to work schedule/family stuff/health etc.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The thing is fans asked for it. It was fans that asked the SimGurus to be more transparent and at least tell us whether an announcement was coming. People were impatient way before this weekly routine. Since announcements usually come on Tuesdays, every Monday the forums filled with speculation threads where everyone wondered whether we would get an announcement or not. Then when we didn't hear anything from EA, people got mad and complained about the lack of communication.

It was in that context that Drake started to post the no gifs, to end speculation and so that people were not so disappointed once Tuesday came and went and no announcement was made.

Ah, I see. I thought it might have been the other way around. Then yes, I suppose communicating with the fans, even if they can't really say anything, is better than nothing.

Edit: What I don't understand is why all the secrecy about what's coming next though (which I'm assuming comes from EA). I remember in the TS2 days they announced the next EP in the manual of the new one, and it worked well.
    But I like knowing if something's coming this week !

I don't know if you were browsing the forum before SimGuruDrake started posting the gif but people were just complaining about silence, that we knew what was coming during the TS2/TS3 era, and all kind of things like that. There was as much impatience before, only it was all week long, and not just on mondays.

No, I didn't browse the forum before, that's why I thought the mood on the forum was a consequence of the way Guru's are doing things, not the other way around.

I apologize to @SimGuruDrake if my comments offended her/him.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

But you are really focusing on something @SimGuruDrake has no control over which is really that EA are treating TS4 like a state secret.
    She's doing her best. I'm not happy with EA's policy either but it's like shooting the messenger what's going on at the moment. She can't give more information without serious implications for her job.

By all means keep communicating with EA the company in how disappointing, frustrating and wrong this new policy feels for the sims. But bear in mind that the staff are probably just as frustrated as we are because they see the atmosphere and upset this has been causing and they are powerless to fix it while they have this stranglehold handle on this policy of silence.

I understand why people don't like the 'games'. I dont either. But I don't think it's fair to place all our frustrations on one member of staff who wasn't even here for most of the time when people were getting annoyed with EA's policy this time round.

She's come along after the fact and it's her job to try to bridge a gap and cheer up the tone. I appreciate she's trying. Doesn't work for me but obviously does for other people. It's EA's policy I'm really not happy with and I think it's important we keep communicating that but the only person who is going to communicate that would be the community manager and it's counter productive to upset her. I'd hope she communicates the big picture to her bosses-but if they don't listen what can she do? Nothing. Many of us know how little EA have wanted to listen this time round-you can't make them 'get' it if they don't want to know.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well 1 thing i have learn with the sims4 it is that even if i would like to have more info and what will be added to the game i have learn thats sometime its best to wait and be patient at least thats how i see this and would love to see toddlers come back because i would create a nice family that would be a mom a dad there first born daughter a teen second born a pretten if ea/maxi adds that age group 3 born a chiold kid and 4 born if its a family with 4 kids a toddler of course and who would not went to see this lovely feature from the sims2 back in the sims4 the mom or older sibling teacheing a nursery rhyme to the toddler in the family as well as helping the sim mom around the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwsptIa-6Ic&nohtml5=False
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    But you are really focusing on something @SimGuruDrake has no control over which is really that EA are treating TS4 like a state secret.
    She's doing her best. I'm not happy with EA's policy either but it's like shooting the messenger what's going on at the moment. She can't give more information without serious implications for her job.

By all means keep communicating with EA the company in how disappointing, frustrating and wrong this new policy feels for the sims. But bear in mind that the staff are probably just as frustrated as we are because they see the atmosphere and upset this has been causing and they are powerless to fix it while they have this stranglehold handle on this policy of silence.

I understand why people don't like the 'games'. I dont either. But I don't think it's fair to place all our frustrations on one member of staff who wasn't even here for most of the time when people were getting annoyed with EA's policy this time round.

She's come along after the fact and it's her job to try to bridge a gap and cheer up the tone. I appreciate she's trying. Doesn't work for me but obviously does for other people. It's EA's policy I'm really not happy with and I think it's important we keep communicating that but the only person who is going to communicate that would be the community manager and it's counter productive to upset her. I'd hope she communicates the big picture to her bosses-but if they don't listen what can she do? Nothing. Many of us know how little EA have wanted to listen this time round-you can't make them 'get' it if they don't want to know.

Yeah, as I've said in my edited post above I had the wrong idea of what was causing this, I thought it was a reaction to this way of doing things and not the other way around.

I apologize to @SimGuruDrake again.
  • Options
    SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Sennie wrote: »
    Unlike most on this forum I like The Sims 4, but dear God, this is the worst PR person I've seen in this industry. Communicating with fans through a GIF every month or so, it's... wow.

I like @SimGuruDrake 's gifs :) it's a fun way of telling us which week there will be an announcement or news, it's a lot more fun than just posting a simple yes or no for us :)

Matthew.

Yes, super fun. That's why so many people are incredibly frustrated on this forum. What she should do is to be more honest. If she can't talk about something then say it. Stop making people even more frustrated, the game is already taking care of that.

That's not how you keep a community interested in your game.

So many people are frustrated here because The Sims 4 is missing key features that they loved from previous games, i.e. toddlers, family play, more careers (like education one) and obviously because EA are so silent they get frustrated when there's no news :)
    I've been aching for some new news for months now... :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    that is why I hardly go onto the forums and find out what's going on, cos there's absolutely no news on what's coming out next etc, etc, so I go and live my life and one day when something new comes out for Sims 4, then I'll come back and play it again, right now I've got 3 crochet blankets to do to keep me busy until something new comes out!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    that is why I hardly go onto the forums and find out what's going on, cos there's absolutely no news on what's coming out next etc, etc, so I go and live my life and one day when something new comes out for Sims 4, then I'll come back and play it again, right now I've got 3 crochet blankets to do to keep me busy until something new comes out!

Oh! Oh! Come share :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/870214/simmers-knitting-crafting-circle
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited April 2016
    Why are we faulting the SimGurus for posting gifs about lack of news? If there is no news they are allowed to tell us, that is the best way they can break it to us IMO. I think they're doing a great job and I like the gifs. Do I wish there was more communication, of course, but they can't tell us things they aren't allowed to tell us, even if they DO know what we want to know. I don't put that on the Devs either, who I think are overall doing a great job (the challenges are sometimes meh to me but otherwise...). To me a huge amount of the problem lies with the suits and their communications policies....they need to allow for more open communication to their consumers.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I have a feeling the announcement is going to be made next week even though the magic 8 ball says no gamepack anytime soon.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I understand that people are unhappy with the current content in Sims 4 and want more so that they can feel satisfied, but it's not SimGuruDrake's fault that EA has a terrible policy. If anything, the anger should be directed towards the CEO of EA, the VP of the EA mobile division, and Rachel Franklin as the leader of what's left of Maxis.

My speculation is that a whole bunch of people were laid off during the restructuring that merged Maxis into the EA mobile division. That's how most restructurings go, we're only now seeing the effects of a smaller, diminished Maxis. Secondly, I think the developers have reached the limits of what the game engine can do under the constraints of the minimum requirements. Introducing relationship culling was a last, desperate measure to squeeze in the new gameplay of Get Together. What else can they cull? It's pretty clear they can't add anything new without taking away something else. What else could they remove from the game? They would never have introduced relationship culling unless it was absolutely necessary. I think they are finding it very difficult to introduce anything new or are trying to figure out how to remove more interactions/content without impacting the game too much.

Bingo. The first time I fired up the Sims4 I could see why the base game was lacking content. I thought then, and still do, the game engine they chose for the latest Sims game would not be able to handle the usual method of adding expansions and stuff packs within the constraints of the current minimum requirements. They ' dumbed down' the game so it would be playable on a wide variety of computers at the expense of being able to add the types of expansions we are accustomed to.

The minimum requirements may need to be set higher if they cannot add to the game without taking something else out. Taking away from the game to add something new is not the answer. The game would be in a constant state of flux if they were forced to do that every time they tried to add new content. We would never know what to expect and nothing would stay the same. The Sims has always relied on content introduced through expansions and stuff packs. Without that key element of building upon the series, the Sims4 would fade away. Even with the 2 expansions and game packs and stuff packs we have, the game feels a bit more fleshed out. But it still has a ways to go to before it is a great game. I truly hope they find a way to get Sims4 back on it's feet. It has so much potential.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I think a lot of players are going to be upset when the next thing is something really underwhelming.

After waiting for so long, it HAS to be something massive and awesome..

Yup. This GP better be twice as good as Spa Day. They've had 9-10 months to work on it, it better be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 perfect.

And if the theme is restaurants, the odds aren't in their favor. I really don't know what they could possibly add to justify the time spent on this but they better surprise me because restaurants is just barely worth a 6 month wait. Just barely.

They've missed their deadline.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I think a lot of players are going to be upset when the next thing is something really underwhelming.

After waiting for so long, it HAS to be something massive and awesome..

Yup. This GP better be twice as good as Spa Day. They've had 9-10 months to work on it, it better be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 perfect.

And if the theme is restaurants, the odds aren't in their favor. I really don't know what they could possibly add to justify the time spent on this but they better surprise me because restaurants is just barely worth a 6 month wait. Just barely.

They've missed their deadline.

I'm hoping for something big as well :) I don't know why, but I've been really thinking about a farming game pack recently - one which would bring us the ability to create our own farms and sell the produce we get from the farm animals, i.e. eggs and milk, etc. :)
    It's just a thought I have had for a few days now :)

I doubt we'll get that though. I hope it isn't restaurants, I want something bigger and better that will add more gameplay to The Sims 4 :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    With it taking this long, I can't see it be anything but Toddlers. I will be shocked if it isn't :o
  • Options
    With it taking this long, I can't see it be anything but Toddlers. I will be shocked if it isn't :o

I hope you're right @charlotteprice :) I'd even pre order it if that was the case, just to make sure I get that pack when it's released :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    I don't post very much, but I do read this forum. I haven't played the Sims 4 in probably 3 months. It is boring and lacks content. I was a huge Sims 3 player and loved the monthly hype when a new store set was being released, as well as new game play that came with a lot of the store content.

I am so disappointed in the content and lack of game play with the Sims 4.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I wonder if the lack of news and releases has anything to do with the Sims 4 being on sale.