Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Woah, The Sims 2 just got a patch!

13...Next

Comments

• qcfruscianteqcfrusciante Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm afraid of updating it 'cause mods. I don't want it to break my precious. But I'm on Win 10, I'm tempted to to try it to see if loads faster.
    Everyone please backup your Graphic Rules & VideoCards files.(anytime you update or repair they replace it w/their default)
    I solved my problems w/shadows on Win 10 reading threads here on leefish
    http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=21
    And also this mod [UPD 2JAN16] Sim Shadow Fix
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585
    Edited: So I saw no update and clicked the "check for update" and nothing. No update for me but while they're verifying the files they replaced mine, so, don't forget to back up.
  • AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    Whelp, I just did the check for updates and it apparently installed something for me. I haven't actually run the game though to see what, if anything, it has done. I'm in the UK if that is helpful to anyone.
    a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
    Thoughts on a new wall mode?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It said it did something to mine when I checked for updates. I ran it without any DLs and then started up the game to check for changes- nothing. I'm not going to do it again. :)
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    @qcfrusciante Thank you so much for your info. I'd turned sim shadows off in my game because nothing fixed the black boxes, but the mod you linked to did! Now I have shadows on high and the sim shadows are there too.

BTW, I'm running the digital Ultimate Collection and live in the US.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I checked and nothing different.

@Rflong7 Same here. I believe the update may only be available for people based in the UK. Hopefully, they'll have a patch for other countries soon.

I'm in the good old USA and got the update even though it didn't come up aotomatically. When I had my mouse over top of the UC in Origin, I just right clicked on it and selected "check for updates" and it updated for me.

Thanks, I did that, too but nothing. :)

You're welcome... :)

• mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    @jackjack_k can you take a screenshot of the new icon? I updated but there's nothing different, neither the icon or bug fixes...
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited March 2016
    @crinrict Thanks for verifying the SecuROM. I still use my discs and would have liked to have switched to the Origin version, but I've always been suspicious of SecuROM becoming a problem again. Do you know if you can remove SecuROM and/or avoid it via the old methods used for the S2 discs?

As for the shadow fix, I've been using it since it came out on MTS. I love it, but I don't think I'll be updating if it were available to me. I have too many years invested in my save and I don't want to take any chances on losing any of it.

I do wonder if anyone who updated noticed if there is still an issue with modular stairs not being able to be placed without MOO when 1 tile from a wall?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2016
    The disc version of Sims 2 has SecuROM as well. Not sure which EP it started with though. I think it's the same one the download version uses.

Maybe Open For Business, maybe before.

S2 Disc doesn't run on Win 10 though and there have been problems reported for download version as well.

I don't know if EA will ever consider removing it. I sincerely hope so.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited March 2016
    crinrict wrote: »
    The disc version of Sims 2 has SecuROM as well. Not sure which EP it started with though. I think it's the same one the download version uses.

Maybe Open For Business, maybe before.

S2 Disc doesn't run on Win 10 though and there have been problems reported for download version as well.

I don't know if EA will ever consider removing it. I sincerely hope so.

It came with Bon Voyage if you're interested. Removing it and avoiding it is easy with the discs. I had several issues in the past before I knew what was going on with my system back in the day. Since then, I've done everything I can to avoid that nasty piece of software. If anything, that should have been the first thing they addressed before even releasing in on Origin, IMO. I'm not sure if it's as easy with the Origin version though. This is something I'd like to know.

It's strange. I ran it on Windows 10 with no issues, but I was very unhappy with other issues I ran into on that system and have gone back to 8.1.

I wonder if hardware has a lot to play in combination with W10.

EDIT: I just read a link offered to me by PM. I think the reason I had no issues was because I had already avoided SecuROM before I updated to 10. I didn't do a clean install. This might be why some of us had issues and others didn't. Thanks for the link @summerbear5
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @mrnhmath wrote: »
    @jackjack_k can you take a screenshot of the new icon? I updated but there's nothing different, neither the icon or bug fixes...

Sure can!

supNsjF.png

It used to look like this before the update:

startgame.png

• Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
    Your welcome @kremesch7
    angrycat.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @mrnhmath wrote: »

Sure can!

supNsjF.png

It used to look like this before the update:

startgame.png

I think that icon may have been an accident, as that's actually TS2: Double Deluxe's icon.
    My start up icon always looked like and said Ultimate Collection.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

@rflong7 So you've always had the icon with the stars?

If so, that's strange. I guess there may have been two versions of the Ultimate Collection..
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »

@rflong7 So you've always had the icon with the stars?

If so, that's strange. I guess there may have been two versions of the Ultimate Collection..

You're right- no stars. It looks the same and says the Ultimate collection.