Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need Sims 2 lovers to give me advice on Sims 4

spaceidspaceid Posts: 1 New Member
So I started playing the Sims when Sims 1 came out and loved it! Sims 2 was phenomenal and was everything I wanted Sims 1 to be. I couldn't wait for Sims 3 and after I bought it I maybe played it for one week and went straight back to Sims 2. I just could not get into Sims 3 at all and was really disappointed because I am such a Sims fan. I started to get excited for Sims 4 as it looked really cool and I got it when it first came out. Played it twice and did not like it. It felt the same to me as Sims 3. Now I am back to Sims 2. My question is, has anyone else had this happen? What did you do in the game to finally get into Sims 4? It annoys me that I spent quite a bit of money on a game that I just couldn't get into. Especially since I loved the franchise.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

Not many Sims 4 enthusiasts visit this section so maybe if you move it to TS4 General discussion it might get more participation.

For me I didn't enjoy TS3 as much until Create a World came out after WA. I still played TS2 mostly but I have a wonderful 5 years in CAW building.

I was hoping TS4 would pull me into playing since the Sims in the game seemed better than the Sims 3 but I was mistaken. I have a hard time liking them once I get them out of CAS.
    Sorry I'm no help.

I also have read that it helps to not play Family Sims, to focus on a single Sim and see what all the game has instead of doing what was .... basic in TS2. Maybe even play TS4 as if it's a cartoon... make some funny characters and see how much mischief you can get them into. :)

Good Luck! :mrgreen:
  • Denimg8Denimg8 Posts: 86 Member
    Same thing happened to me, i bought sims4 and couldn't get into it, even after buying the career ep.. I'm currently playing Sims 2 again, and its great fun :)
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Sims 4 breaks my heart. It's a sunken cost, so moving on... or backwards. :cry:
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I was the same, couldn't get into 3 and went back to TS2. I have all expansions and stuff packs for TS3 but I admit a lot of it I haven't checked out. I find the open world a blessing and a curse!

With 4 I can play it, not as long as I can TS2 but it's got it's good points. For me I only really clicked with it when I started playing
    A legacy challenge. I think it depends on your play style.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I am right there with you, I have gone back to Sims 2 and I am obsessed with it!
    I do love Sims 3 though, Its my second favorite... Please don't get me started on my thoughts on Sims 4. Haha
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Sims 4 is a lost cause, and I have given up on it. I am more than happy sticking with Sims 2 till someone comes up with a worthy competitor for the Sims franchise - which is now doomed in my eyes.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    edited October 2015
    Ignore that, double post.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • mmmcheezy225mmmcheezy225 Posts: 631 Member
    I wandered into this forum with the same idea in mind, OP. TS4 looks like a wonderful game when other people play it, but for me it loses appeal quickly. I played TS3 for awhile actually and enjoyed it before the game bugs became too much, but I prefer TS2 by a long shot.

I'm pretty frugal however, so I'm wanting to get my money's worth from the $42 that I paid for the base game alone, so I am also curious as to how other TS2 players play TS4. I've noticed that a lot of people play with a group of household acquaintances or they play it as a legacy, but I haven't been able to find a TS4 BaCC or a more rotation-based gameplay akin to my TS2 gameplay preference. I wonder how much of that is player choice, and how much of that is due to gameplay limitations. :/
  • thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    I play Sims 4 every once in a while. I like to make sims. I always tell myself I'm going to play with the families I make but I never do. Except this challenge that I created myself (or I think I did, I haven't seen it anywhere else) I start a tiny town on the largest lot in the neighborhood. It's nice because it doesn't feel as disconnected as the actual town. I probably won't be buying any packs in the near future. None of them really appeal to me as of now. :(

I usually just stick to TS2. It's the one I find myself actually wanting to play the most.
  • Feedinghissheep3Feedinghissheep3 Posts: 92 Member
    i still play sims 2 and sims 3 because each is different and have their own pluses and minuses. what got me playing sims 4 more was opening a retail store. you can sell anything you buy in buy mode and if you hire the people in your home to work there you don;t have to pay them a salary. lol i sell paintings, plants, statues and clothe that you place on mannequins. i average $25,000 per day and it is great fun. you can buy perks to increase speed in ringing up customers and get cheaper restocking... i love it! i added two chess tables, the fountain with chocolate and a coffee machine. i get lots of customers and my sim meets great guys to date! lol hth! happy simming everyone!
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I'm sticking with 2 as well for me it's a perfect 10 for me. I've found amazing maxis match content, finally jumped on the inseminator train, which allows me to change a sims lifetime want, without the memory! And I just find it fun after all these years!

I'm also into sims 3, I just don't like the bugs... But it's still fun to play.

I'm not as into sims 4, I hate the fact it's compared to sims 2... Um no, Sims 2 had fun worlds to play, teens, toddlers, I didn't have to worry about sims I wasn't playing. Sims had bio's, we had family play. Basically sims 2 a game from over 10 years ago kicked sims 4 out of the water!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'm a Sims 2 fan. Basically the Sims 4 made me appreciate the Sims 1, 2, and 3 a lot more. I couldn't quite get into the Sims 4 either. Thing is I never felt like I could rule over that game. It is like I was treated like a animal that had a cone put on her head. Sims 4 set extreme limits to my play styles.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited October 2015
    I was the same as you OP, after playing the Sims 2 for so long, the Sims 3 was a big let down for me. Apart from a year of TS2 not working on my computer, I never stopped playing it, and now have the UC with my 8-9 years old save still going strong.

I have TS4 and I do enjoy it. Even though it doesn't compare to TS2 in its current state, and I am missing a lot of stuff that others miss like toddlers, family and children's interactions etc, I can still play for hours.

You feel the same about TS4 as you did about TS3, so it may be that TS2 is the one game for you. I have learnt from experience that adding to game you don't like, doesn't make the game any more likeable or interesting. TS3 with EP and SP, was still as boring (for me, my opinion only), glad I only purchased a couple.

I do think that TS4 will get better, but it's probably always going to be a different game. I am glad I have both 2 & 4 to switch between, just wish there was more time to play them both.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    I was the same as you OP, after playing the Sims 2 for so long, the Sims 3 was a big let down for me. Apart from a year of TS2 not working on my computer, I never stopped playing it, and now have the UC with my 8-9 years old save still going strong.

Wow! That's amazing that you still have your save from so long ago. I wish I could see my old families. :(
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    joleaco wrote: »

Wow! That's amazing that you still have your save from so long ago. I wish I could see my old families. :(

I did almost lose everything once quite a while ago. Our computer died, we couldn't even start it or anything. We ended up taking it to a computer guy and he managed to get some of stuff off it, and one of the things was a backup of Sims 2! I did lose a few months worth of gameplay though, and one families relationship was broken which sucked, but I got my save back, so happy!!

I backup very regularly, just in case corruption happens. :)

Do you have a copy of your old save/s anywhere?
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I feel the exact same way, OP! Sims 4 doesn't hold a candle to sims 2. I wasn't that impressed with sims 3 either. Sims 4 is like one big facade and very one dimensional.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    spaceid wrote: »
    So I started playing the Sims when Sims 1 came out and loved it! Sims 2 was phenomenal and was everything I wanted Sims 1 to be. I couldn't wait for Sims 3 and after I bought it I maybe played it for one week and went straight back to Sims 2. I just could not get into Sims 3 at all and was really disappointed because I am such a Sims fan. I started to get excited for Sims 4 as it looked really cool and I got it when it first came out. Played it twice and did not like it. It felt the same to me as Sims 3. Now I am back to Sims 2. My question is, has anyone else had this happen? What did you do in the game to finally get into Sims 4? It annoys me that I spent quite a bit of money on a game that I just couldn't get into. Especially since I loved the franchise.

I tried to create all the characters I had in many towns in my TS2. I never stopped playing TS2 in ten years until this past year. But unfortunately these new Sims though expressive and cute and likeable seemed to be geared toward one thing and one thing only and that is talking. Now, I complained loudly on the TS3 site about a less expressive Sim which I felt was robotic due to a poorly implemented AI (way too slow between autonomous interactions and player commands) however, this time they went overboard and these Sims don't need anything at all other than to talk to each other all the time, even when social is full.

It's not that I don't understand how TS4 is supposed to be played it's that I don't like the change in the formula. TS2 is built this way for example: If a Sim's social is low they will seek out another Sim or dance solo to raise social and or seek out chatting on line, or dance with mop or something to fill that social The Sims 4 Sims spend all their time talking....they went from one extreme in TS3 from hardly no socializing (not as much as TS2 had) to overboard and that's all the game is built around this time.

No happy medium. But I would rather call that a median (meet me in the road EA, lol, and let's meet in the middle and do this right like TS2 did).

It has it's moments but I still think TS2 Sims are smarter and their motivation is based on their motives which all makes sense to us doesn't it?

I mean needing social and fun will make TS2 Sims join watching a TV program and speaking with those in the room watching or not watching it, too. However, TS4 Sims will do this no matter if motives are full and running over..and or if they don't even have an emotion to press this. So, the game doesn't really make any sense in any sense of the word.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    Never left CAS in 3. Only have the CAS demo of 4 and that's all I ever played of it. TS and TS2 on the other hand... I might have worth over thousands of hours in-game of each game and am still going strong!
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • VixellaaVixellaa Posts: 13 New Member
    I am all right with the Sims 4, it's defiantly not the best Sims game they have created. I do love though Sims 2-3. But, 2 having to be my ultimate favorite for sure!
  • MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    I'm going to be somewhat of the odd person out here, but I too (as the original poster said) skipped the entire Sims 3 series. I tried it for a month and just hated it compared to the Sims 2. I played Sims 2 exclusively until Sims 4 came out. And while I don't love Sims 4 in it's current state as much as I did Sims 2 at it's completion, I still do enjoy it. Aside from no toddlers the game is much more similar to the Sims 2 than Sims 3 ever was. I miss Seasons and OFB (Sims 2 version was so much better than Get to Work) and I do hope they make a comeback soon, but I am not as disappointed as some with the Sims 4.

That being said, I am a legacy player and I keep my sims busy with the challenge and trying to make the most points. It's given me the incentive to try all parts of the game (collecting, parties, aspirations, level 10 in all skills) that I would not have done otherwise. My biggest problem with Sims 4 is that my families just die off when they move out of the main house, unlike just living forever in limbo as they did in Sims 2.

Sometimes I consider trying my Sims 2 again just to see if I would like it as much as I did previously, but I am worried that the graphics will bother me too much. If you have a good laptop, the Sims 4 neigbourhoods really are very beautiful.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I haven't given up on 4 yet completely. I mean, I haven't played it since my boyfriend wanted to in October, but I keep try to keep up with it in hopes that one day it will be my cup of tea. At first I was super into it and I played it daily, but then I realized how much I actually missed toddlers. I didn't think it would be a big deal until it actually became a big deal. So I am fully convinced that as soon as they put in toddlers that I will play again.

The one thing I can say I thoroughly enjoyed in 4 was the two separate cooking skills and seeing what new meals they could make. So that's something you could do. I always find myself downloading custom foods in ts2 because the cooking skill is pretty bland after all these years. But ts4 foods are beautiful and so cool.
  • dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    I got mostly everything for TS4 and stopped playing it. I play mostly Ts3 right now but thats mostly to create world. I like the sims in TS2 the best so would say TS2 is tied with 3 as favourite, then 4 last