Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Thumbnails in Gallery Question

ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
Since it has been stated that custom thumbnails for uploaded content in the gallery will be marked as custom content, does that mean that they will automatically be eliminated from being chosen as an EA favorite?
fkgck4xkargo.png
"If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
Post edited by ehaught58 on

Comments

• Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    I don't know, but it was said that EA prefer those without C.C., though for some reasons.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Good question.
    I sure hope not, because there are some really talented/creative people who use custom thumbnails.
  • NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    I think it is a disaster. Not only because I love making thumbnails but mostly because it's now hard to know which creations are containing custom content for real and which are merely using a custom thumbnail. A thumbnail isn't content.

If this is the case from now on I think we should be able to see a list of the custom content used in a creation, for example by clicking somewhere on it (before downloading it).
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • thegizkythegizky Posts: 84 Member
    It seemed to me they were clearly avoiding faving anything using custom screens before the patch, so I would guess so.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited March 2016
    I love this idea.

I report all creations that use any CC that bypass the filter - that does include thumbnails. Thumbnails are considered custom content, and therefore, bypassing the filter, so I report them no matter if the sim has custom content on them or not.
    Post edited by Colton147147 on
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • surfingrocketssurfingrockets Posts: 60 Member
    > @NatKingSim said:
    > I think it is a disaster. Not only because I love making thumbnails but mostly because it's now hard to know which creations are containing custom content for real and which are merely using a custom thumbnail. A thumbnail isn't content.

Totally agree! The custom thumbnails are so much better than the EA ones. There's so many problems with them, such as houses being shot from the wrong side of the street, houses being too far away or close up, and the shots of each floor that are always too small to be of any real use. I wish EA would embrace the idea and set up their own official version.

This new rule is just a slap in the face IMO. They're only doing it so that people who don't use CC in their builds will stop using their own shots because they know those people won't want their builds marked as containing CC. BE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUR AMAZING FANS WHO CREATE MUCH NEEDED MODS THAT IMPROVE THE GAME.
  • asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    This may be a bit off topic, but did they fix the problem with non-CC builds and households being filtered as being CC? I'm still having this issue and I don't use mods or CC. :(
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Well, I prefer like this. I really didn't enjoy random pics of background, was very distracting. Is ok though, is still there just marked as CC. I wanted to find a way to sometimes toggle it off. So for me is great :)
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited March 2016
    This is extremely frustrating to me! Why they decided to do this is, I have no clue! Except of course to further limit those of us that like to build!! As it is we can't even use photographs done with the photography skill (with no mods/cc) and not have our lots tagged that it contains cc!! I have tried for over a year to look pass this games (what I feel) shortcomings, but I feel myself just getting more and more frustrated! It's sad being that this is the only game I play.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I think it is a disaster. Not only because I love making thumbnails but mostly because it's now hard to know which creations are containing custom content for real and which are merely using a custom thumbnail. A thumbnail isn't content.

If this is the case from now on I think we should be able to see a list of the custom content used in a creation, for example by clicking somewhere on it (before downloading it).

The custom thumbnails can actually cause issues with the game, I've seen some of them corrupt.
    EA has to (sadly) mark anything as CC if there is a change to the way the game does something and can cause irregular behavior in the game that is not the fault of EA.
  • asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    @jackjack_k - Is that the reason why non-CC items are showing as CC? I'm just trying to get clarification on this since I don't use CC all that much.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited March 2016
    I am very disappointed in this change, but I think I do understand the purpose behind it, which is to prevent inappropriate images appearing on uploads that are supposed to be from the base game. In order to see content with CC, people have to toggle a flag, but everyone sees non-CC uploads. While I didn't see anyone abusing the new image changer when it came to builds, I have seen questionable stuff on household pictures. Of course, people can and should report this type of content, but I'm not sure if reports are actually processed by the company beyond simply hiding the content from the person who reported it (the content remains visible to others who have not reported it).

However, rather than simply make this change, which does indeed feel like an unnecessary loss to many of us, I wish they would have also provided us with an in game method for getting better screen shots in our gallery uploads. We have requested such a tool from the beginning (see our Build Mode Feedback thread), and if it's just not possible (and I don't see why it wouldn't be since they could doubtless use the photography engine that's already in there), then for the builders, it would probably even be sufficient if we could at least cycle through a variety of camera angles when saving to the library, as can already be done when creating a household.

@jackjack_k I have never heard of thumbnails causing an issue with the game. Could you give us a bit more information on that? Was there a specific lot or household that you had a problem with in your game? And if so, what exactly happened? How do you know it was the thumbnail?
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I suppose to be COMPLETELY safe we should never download ANYTHING from the gallery to our games. I think that would be rather boring though. To be honest, if I wasn't able to share my builds or get to see the builds of other players I would probably quit playing. I do understand that player created Custom Content increases the chances of something going wrong. Custom thumbnails are player created. I was surprised that they took as long as they did to curtail it. Meanwhile, I did enjoy the artistry of the pics and how a creator was able to highlight things you wouldn't normally notice or see unless you downloaded the creation. Still, I would rather have EA focus on developing new game content and improving the game, than have them babysit the gallery and have to address issues players have because of CC.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @BryonyRae wrote: »
    I am very disappointed in this change, but I think I do understand the purpose behind it, which is to prevent inappropriate images appearing on uploads that are supposed to be from the base game. In order to see content with CC, people have to toggle a flag, but everyone sees non-CC uploads. While I didn't see anyone abusing the new image changer when it came to builds, I have seen questionable stuff on household pictures. Of course, people can and should report this type of content, but I'm not sure if reports are actually processed by the company beyond simply hiding the content from the person who reported it (the content remains visible to others who have not reported it).

However, rather than simply make this change, which does indeed feel like an unnecessary loss to many of us, I wish they would have also provided us with an in game method for getting better screen shots in our gallery uploads. We have requested such a tool from the beginning (see our Build Mode Feedback thread), and if it's just not possible (and I don't see why it wouldn't be since they could doubtless use the photography engine that's already in there), then for the builders, it would probably even be sufficient if we could at least cycle through a variety of camera angles when saving to the library, as can already be done when creating a household.

@jackjack_k I have never heard of thumbnails causing an issue with the game. Could you give us a bit more information on that? Was there a specific lot or household that you had a problem with in your game? And if so, what exactly happened? How do you know it was the thumbnail?

I've had Custom thumbnails go blank or distorted. Nothing wrong with the game itself, but if blank thumbnails appear in people's libraries, people may call it a fault of EA/the game.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I think using custom thumbnails give you an unfair advantage in the gallery, as people may assume your content is higher quality or better than the rest just because it's differentiated. EA did the right move, this is not an intended behaviour on the gallery.
    Tiki5872 wrote: »
    This is extremely frustrating to me! Why they decided to do this is, I have no clue! Except of course to further limit those of us that like to build!! As it is we can't even use photographs done with the photography skill (with no mods/cc) and not have our lots tagged that it contains cc!! I have tried for over a year to look pass this games (what I feel) shortcomings, but I feel myself just getting more and more frustrated! It's sad being that this is the only game I play.

This is exactly how I feel. I got so excited to be able to make my own thumbnails. I have never been so happy with the game as when I found a way to do that. Now I feel like it's almost the last drop for me. Today I just wanted to unistall it. But then I decided to fight for it. It may change again if simmers protest.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    I'm really disappointed in this decision. Here's my reasoning:
    1. Custom thumbnail=/= custom content. I think whoever made that decision needs to brush up on their terminology.
    2. If they really wanted to put some sort of marker indicating that a custom thumbnail was used, couldn't they make something different for that?
    3. If their aim was to prevent players from using custom thumbnails, they should've improved their own. There's a reason why people started using custom ones. The standard thumbnails for lots are pretty bad at adjusting to the lot. One big tree in the way of the camera can mean that you can't see half of the building. I'm not going to download a building if I can't see half of it.
    4. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation.
    I think using custom thumbnails give you an unfair advantage in the gallery, as people may assume your content is higher quality or better than the rest just because it's differentiated. EA did the right move, this is not an intended behaviour on the gallery.

It's absolutely not about that if you ask me. If anything one sees better what quality the sim/house/room actually is. Now I see many creations zoomed in and I clearly see the sim's face and decide if I like it or not right away. Before I had to download the sim first and then often got disappointed.

There should be a way for everybody to do that with the help of a simple tool made by EA (at least being able to choose angles and zoom), instead of limiting some poeple's creativity and hard work.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
    @GaiaPuma "Toggle off" option is a great idea! It is much better than filtering a thumbnail as cc as many people avoid it like it's plague (I know I do).

@jackjack_k I had no idea about that. Have you heard what causes it? I know EA's thumbnails got randomly corrupted in the Sims 3 for me. Maybe it's the same issue? Or has it only ever happened to custom thumbnails in the Sims 4?
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    1. Custom thumbnail=/= custom content. I think whoever made that decision needs to brush up on their terminology.
    2. If they really wanted to put some sort of marker indicating that a custom thumbnail was used, couldn't they make something different for that?
    3. If their aim was to prevent players from using custom thumbnails, they should've improved their own. There's a reason why people started using custom ones. The standard thumbnails for lots are pretty bad at adjusting to the lot. One big tree in the way of the camera can mean that you can't see half of the building. I'm not going to download a building if I can't see half of it.

It is still third-party no matter what.

It bypasses the filter and is fair game to me - I get to report them. >:)
    edited March 2016
    NatKingSim wrote: »

It's absolutely not about that if you ask me. If anything one sees better what quality the sim/house/room actually is. Now I see many creations zoomed in and I clearly see the sim's face and decide if I like it or not right away. Before I had to download the sim first and then often got disappointed.

There should be a way for everybody to do that with the help of a simple tool made by EA (at least being able to choose angles and zoom), instead of limiting some poeple's creativity and hard work.

I am still waiting for the day for the person I've been reporting to be banned from uploading to the Gallery - she has pretty much uploaded custom thumbnail sims each day and I report each creation... Very, very tiresome to be honest.

Any third-party content I see that bypasses the filter is fair game to me and is automatically reported.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Aw, I liked using custom thumbnails in the gallery cause I had a house that was covered with a tree on the angle it took it in. Like all you saw was tree. LOL
    I understand the change, though. I just wish that "everything is modded" bug was fixed. It's sort of annoying to always pull my mods folder out to save a house or a sim that I used no CC on :s
  • quasha81388quasha81388 Posts: 255 Member
    This may be a bit off topic, but did they fix the problem with non-CC builds and households being filtered as being CC? I'm still having this issue and I don't use mods or CC. :(

Same here.... I upload and it say I have cc in my build when I don't it's crazy
  • thegizkythegizky Posts: 84 Member
    I get why they did it but it's a huge slap in the face to essentially take it away without giving us another option. I will probably start uploading my stuff elsewhere so I can actually show off what I created instead of building having to think of how the screenshot will come out.
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Pegasus143 wrote: »

It is still third-party no matter what.

It bypasses the filter and is fair game to me - I get to report them. >:)
    The forum ate my original reply, so I'm posting this again:
    Here is the definition of custom content, according to @SimGuruDrake :
    “Custom Content”: This is the addition of player-made clothing or objects to the game. Sometimes just referred to in The Sims community as “CC”. For example: new hair, new clothing, new furniture, etc.
    This shows that a custom thumbnail is not considered to be custom content and therefore it is perfectly fine that it got past the filter.