March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Talk me out of buying TS4 please!

Comments

• dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    wow thanks everyone for the replies! I'm posting on my phone from work so cant say as much as i want to.

Someone asked why I need convincing not to buy it. its because its expensive and I already have the whole of TS2 and only recently bought every EP and SP for TS3.. so I feel a bit greedy for wanting TS4, especially since there's a lot of criticism.

When I played the trial version the graphics was mindblowing and the load screens took a few seconds each.. compared to 20mins to load up TS3. I know my opinion might not be popular but once all the EPs come out I personally think TS4 will be superior.

I'm just worried once I buy it now I will get bored for the lack of content. I added all the packs to cart on ebay and it totalled 80pounds! is that a good deal already, I can't tell?
  • SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    I won't tell you not to buy the game, and I'm not even a fan of the current iteration. I think it also depends on your finances, and if you don't have to think twice when it comes to spending the money, then go ahead and buy TS4. And as someone said previously, you might like it, regardless of how someone else perceives it.

I like the art style as well, but to me, no matter how many EPs, GPs, or SPs I added in the past, I was still bored by the game. I've decided to wait for future content and not buy anything until there is something for me.

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
    i think i'm leaning towards waiting for a sale or until more EPs come out. I got TS3 on steam sale and one EP was same price as a TS4 stuff pack.. so I'd feel guilty paying that much
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Read some reviews, check out the content, watch some Let's Plays, and play the free trial before you buy it! When I got Sims 4, I actually posted a picture of it on Facebook. It was an excited post. Boy, do I feel so much different! Being honest, it was the sims community that pressured me to keep my pre-order (mainly with that whole "you haven't played the game, so you can't say you hate it" shtick) and I very much regret that.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • AlisonCuteSimsAlisonCuteSims Posts: 165 Member
    I wouldn't buy it simply because it gets boring really fast, and recently they have been lacking in packs and patches that are interesting.

But...

154403_600.gif

And you may have a different opinion. :)
    3dd20d8220bdc70e9490da5f62974d35.gif
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    Hi, I too love The Sims 2. I never liked The Sims 3 before I played the Sims 4, but now I like it much better than I did when it was new. I find if I play Sims these days, I will play the earlier games over the 4th iteration because I find that I get very bored otherwise, even though I have everything they've made for it plus a ton of 3rd party custom content.

I do play 4 occasionally and enjoy it in small doses. You may find you love it, or you may find, like me, you need to supplement your Simming with the earlier games.

I never had to go back to the original Sims game after I started playing The Sims 2. It was so entertaining. I loved the forums too, and I was very active, which also made the game that much more special. But EA has never been able to reproduce the overall experience I had with the Sims 2 games and I really miss what we had in those days.

I wish you luck and hope if you get the new game, you find it lots of fun!

I also want to point out that when I play the sims 4, I do not see any bugs. I don't have any problems with the game whatsoever. At least I don't notice any. I don't know if it's the way I play, or my computer or a combination of the two, but I find the game problem free. I hope you do too.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    dw4518 wrote: »
    i think i'm leaning towards waiting for a sale or until more EPs come out. I got TS3 on steam sale and one EP was same price as a TS4 stuff pack.. so I'd feel guilty paying that much

I think that is the best decision for you. You just got 2 it's a great game.. explore it and wait for content to come in for 4. Look for a great sale now and then.. you'll feel good that you got it cheaper.
    egTcBMc.png
  • spivoskispivoski Posts: 299 Member
    I play Sims 4 when I want to see good graphics and make a sim through the awesome Create-A-Sim.

I play Sims 3 when I want to have fun with everything that Sims 4 is missing.

I suggest wait until more EPs and other packs to come out. Sims 4 gets boring very quickly for me.
  • mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member

When I played the trial version the graphics was mindblowing and the load screens took a few seconds each.. compared to 20mins to load up TS3. I know my opinion might not be popular but once all the EPs come out I personally think TS4 will be superior.

I'm just worried once I buy it now I will get bored for the lack of content. I added all the packs to cart on ebay and it totalled 80pounds! is that a good deal already, I can't tell?

Don't be fooled into thinking that the loading screens will only be a few seconds. The load times will increase as your save gets bigger, you add SP, EP, CC, and mods to your game. I have a middle of the road computer with all the EP, SP, tons of store items, CC, and mods in ts3 and have never waited more than 5 minutes for any save to load no matter the world size. When I stopped playing ts4, my save wasn't very big and I had no mods or CC in the game and the load screens were about 45 seconds each.

Bottom line, they will increase over time, but how much is impossible to say.

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I wouldn't get it unless you find it for a really good discount.

Your main appeal, at least as far as I'm reading, are the graphics and no lag. I can tell you the novelty of both will wear off very fast. A Sims game, or any game for that matter, needs that and much more.

Extra content wise, all the game has is camping (been there, done that), GTW active careers (grindy and give you absolutely no freedom to tell your Sim's story), Spas (will not last you long), and groups, which are fun for a bit. Worth 80 pounds/115 dollars? Definitely not.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Get it on sale.
    Then try not to be disappointed after you play for a few days... or hours depending on how you play. If it's Family Style you might find the game missing a few 'things' But.. if your more of a 'Party Single Life' type player you could really enjoy TS4. If your a Builder this could be the game for you. Building and decorating are a few of the things The Sims 4 really did right this time around. It's fantastic, addicting and easy fun!
    Good Luck on whatever you choose
    (just buy it)
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2016
    I really want to buy TS4, literally about to throw all my money at it :D before yesterday I was loving TS3, and I swore I didn't need TS4.. toddlers, overpriced, bugs, too goals focused etc, all the usual complaints I've read.

Then EA gave me TS2 ultimate collection for free, and I played it and LOVED it. It's so much faster! I was willing to lose the open world for no lag.

I just tried TS4 again (base game only) and wow the graphics are so immersive! I tried it awhile ago and thought it was a bit cartoony but now I look at the water, the trees, everything is so beautiful. My sim bumped into Malcolm landgraabe and he is hot!

I need TS4 in my life now. Despite all the warnings. Am I about to make an expensive mistake or should I go ahead and buy it? I'm thinking of getting base game, GT, Spa day and outdoor retreat.

As much as the Sims 4 irks me and I think it is the weakest of its' predecessors, it still can be fun. It just depends on what you want to do? If you are a CAS and sim making person like me, you will LOVE it, if you are a builder, I hear its fun too. As far as substance, there still isn't a lot and I find myself getting bored quickly, but at least with the two expansions and couple of gamepacks that are out it prolongs the enjoyment just a bit.

My advice is that if you are just getting the base game, I would say No. All you will find yourself doing is finding a mate and having babies, over and over and over again, a sort of groundhogs day if you will. However, if you are planning on buying GTW, GT, and the couple of gamepacks out then I would say it makes it worth it......
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    I will say, I'm going to enjoy the older games and other games I own and just wait and see where this one goes. I've got enough fun with complete games to go through the boredom of waiting for new stuff again.

I bought all the Stuff for TS/TS2/TS3 and I remember the boredom after the thrill of opening a new expansion. Right now I don't have the thrill of wanting a new expansion so I'm content to play with games that are done.

I got mine on sale- half off. I haven't played it long enough to feel it was worth it.
  • CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    Wait till you see the game in a Walmart $5 bin
    2d2jbpk.jpg
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    buy the sims4 its the best game ever
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Are you sure you want to talk you out of it? Alright well here it goes..I don't know if you bought yet or not. Starting in 3, 2, 1..
    This: Thesims3-90-1-.jpg[img]versus This: http:[/img]Magnolia_Promenade_Map_Select_4585463.pngInteresting, so I can do what ever I please in sims 3 without the game telling me?I actually rule in sims 3? I don't have to talk to a coworker to boost my earnings in my active career or do 1 lab experiment either? Sold.

Now don't take this the wrong way, sims 4 has some good qualities like the cas and creating unique sims. What you choose by the end of the day is up to you and remember to have fun.

Lol. I loved how you used Magnolia Promenade, that came with Get To Work with 4 lots for the comparison map to Sims 3's Base Game Map. Yes, Sims 3 base game has more lots, but we got one map for the base game in 3, and when we got Riverview, we couldn't even move to it freely like in Sims 4; and that wasn't even an option to move between worlds until patch 1.55. just before we got Island Paradise. And you had to pay a ton for it, and not only that. Your Families lost memories, relationships, and stuff like that.

Just a note, I'm not trying to say you're wrong about what you think of Sims 3/Sims 4. That is your opinion. (: So, just know that I am not even saying anything about that. Just the map comparisons.. aren't right. But yes, of course.. Sims 3 is better for maps, because their focus was the open world, and because we got one map, we were able to get a lot more lots and things like that. (and hey, I still loveeee Sims 3. Sims 3 open world is great, but I know it gave trouble to some Simmers. Some players are teenagers, and couldn't go out and buy a fancy new computer, etc. but I love Sims 3 for what it has and for all those years of content we got; and then I love Sims 4 for what it has so far and what I hope to see and what is to come from it. :) ).

OP, we got two worlds in Sims 4 base game. Willow Creek and Oasis Springs. They came with about 22 was it? Each?. And two secret hidden lots that you have to "find" with your Sim. (Which is awesome and I hope they do this for future content as well. example: If we get a University Life Expansion pack, they could do a "secret society hidden lot" where your Sims get captured like in Sims 2 and then they get taken to the hidden lot, or you find it, etc. And then have a lot like we got in Sims 4 Get Together where we can have our own "place" to create a Sorority or Frat and can add that as a "club gathering" for a mixer, or other type of college party they can/could have.)

I definitely feel that you should wait to buy The Sims 4 until you have enough to get the expansion packs and game packs/stuff packs that you want to buy. The Sims 4 base game is good.. but I won't lie, it's lacking. However, with all the patches that we got.. to make it a bit "fuller", it did help. We got Pools, ghosts, I believe there was even a patch where we got "pop up phone calls", and that was really cool; and now with Get Together we get texting pop ups.( I like the layout of it) etc, it did get a bit better.

But definitely. Get Together, Get To Work (I love the animations, the retail (could be better with some patches), and the active careers), Spa Day, Movie Hangout Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Cool Kitchen (the ice-creams), and Romantic Garden.. are must haves for me.

Get Together made the game a lot better; and I cannot wait to see what we get next, and what game pack we get, and.. asdgk;' Sims 4 has a lot of potential, and if you're a family player, well, they have been adding a bit to it. I definitely feel the clubs help family play, along with romantic garden stuff, and movie hangout stuff. But we're only on Expansion Pack 2. So, I'm hopeful.

However, if you loved the Sims 4 when you played it, and thought that it had better graphics, it ran better for you, etc.. you should get it. DEFINITELY look for SALES. That way, if you do feel like it's missing stuff that you loved in previous installments, then at least you didn't fork out 80 bucks, or something like that! AND once again, we're only on expansion pack 2 and game pack 2. We got a lootttt of content to come. :). Maxis is just.. being.. :(. too dang quiet.

No one can tell you whether to buy it, or not, though. :/ It's truly something you need to decide. Check out reviews, check out let's plays of Get Together, Spa Day, etc. Again. Check for sales.. and if you still need it. Get it.

I love it. (: Spa Day is amazing as well as Get Together and there's lots of great CAS items, objects, and Windenburg is freackin' gorgeous. I have all my Sims live there. But hey, you could wait.. and see what Expansion Pack 3 and Game Pack 3 are.. before you decide as well.

However... that could be a little pricey, and maybe if you feel like you're really ready to get Sims 4, then you could find some sales now and that way you can save back up for the next game pack and expansion pack that comes out, you should have a lot of time, if they wait 9ish months again to bring out an expansion pack. (: So, at least then you will have the money to get that if it interests you. Or, you could just wait for a sale again, lol. :x

I don't think it should matter if i used get to work or if it came with 4 lots the point i was trying to get across was that we went from very detail realistic looking maps to maps that are similar to app games. To me those hidden lost are nothing impressive, like the tree one your sim can go to sure you could place things there but other words i feel like its just unused space EA had no idea what to do with. Sims 3 doesn't require a fancy expensive computer to run either, you just need a decent graphics card and enough power to run it..thats the main problem most people seem have had with the sims 3 and lag..even i have it cause i don't have a good graphics or enough power which why im upgrading. its cheaper to build than buy anyways. whats the difference with losing relationships vs sims being culled and forgotten? To me its exactly the same. My sim moves and loses relationships okay, I deal with it but if a sim in my family dies at least they are remembered in the family tree and aren't erased. But truth be told sims in sims 3 actually DON'T forget family members or old friends when they move, I'm guessing nobody every buys/uses the Top Topia Table Phone in electronics cause of the university cell phone. If you buy it before your sims move, then place the phone from the family inventory on a couter/table, All contacts including family members and friends will still be in your relationship panel. This is without using travel even though i do have travel in my game, you test it out for yourself. And yes sims 3 came with one map, but at least you could put as many lots as you want and edit town to make it look different and some what unique. Anyways I hope you don't see this as an attack, I hope we both helped OP decide if the game is for them or not. =) PS Don't mind the bolded words, i just want people to notice that when reading this.

Ps please correct me if i misunderstood.

You actually need a good a bit of ram to be able to run Sims 3. You're generating Sims in an open world that has to "generate" as you move around it. That can cause some lag, also, with low ram, it can affect how many Sims are on a Venue. I feel you misunderstood and felt like I was attacking you(?), but in no way was I trying to bash you for your opinion. If you had used Willow Creek to show how "small", it is in comparison, and showed the lots etc, then I wouldn't even have brought it up. I even agreed with you on things about Sims 3 and expressed that I do love Sims 3. But that I also love Sims 4 as well. x-x, I'm really bad at explaining things.

To you, the hidden lots are nothing. But to someone else they could be. I enjoy them. Which is why I mentioned that it really has to come down to the OP's choice.. to buy or not buy.. because what someone may enjoy, someone else may not.

I never said that culling wasn't an issue (heck, I'm scared to have big families.. right now for one reason being culling.. and the other because I don't have my precious little life-stages to see grow), nor did I say that Sims 4 was perfect. I specifically said that the Sims 4 is lacking and that it basically has things that need to be patched in.

In a way, that's a neat item, but you shouldn't have to buy an item to "keep" family and friends/remember Sims with/without moving.

As I mentioned above, I never said that Sims 4 didn't need things added. For instance, I agree, I think we need a world editor, (we need something to make new worlds, or to make Willow Creek/etc unique as our own. And I think it would help with the "wait" of new worlds from Maxis, because. :| I'm being impatient, like I said, They're too quiet lol.) we need to be able to place lots, etc. But I also said, we're only on Expansion Pack 2. We have a long ways to go and a lot of patches to come. Do I feel this should have been something that was released last year? Yes. But at the same time, we needed some game-play patches to be addressed as well.

I was never attacking you for your opinion, either. That was not my intention at all. I believe everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and that no one should ever feel that they cannot express it (so long as they aren't.. disrespectful to another person's thoughts/outlook). So, I do apologize, if you felt that way at all about my post. :(. I was just making a comment on the maps and perhaps, I should have said it in a different way. But I thought that I was genuinely uhh... *nice* in my post? that's not the word I'm looking for, but I can't think of it at the moment. Maybe understanding. I give up, lol. It's 5am. My brain is super mushy.

Not its, okay I don't feel like you were attacking me at all.
    giphy.gif

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Not going to talk you out of anything. Go ahead, buy it. And have fun.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AshlieBoomAshlieBoom Posts: 143 Member
    I went straight from sims 2 to sims 4, :( I skipped 3 because at the time I couldn't afford a PC tough enough to run it! I'm wishing I at least tried 3 first because 4 gets a little boring after a while. I'm determined to enjoy it, and the graphics style I'm utterly in love with. I'm kinda hoping that EA have bigger plans for the sims 4, because as it stands it's just not living up to expectation.
    I'm still going to play but I also agree with the previous statement that its too goal focused.
    I'd say try it, see how you get on with it :) It's all relative, at the end of the day! <3
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    really i would not bother with it just keep playing sims 2 or 3
  • JellyEyesJellyEyes Posts: 354 Member
    I'd say wait on getting all of the packs with the base game all at once. Maybe start with an ep with the base game. Be sure that you're that into it first before going that far. And find the base game and ep/pack on sale. You seem too excited about it not to end up getting it (so i didn't try to persuade you otherwise).
  • FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    Relax, wait till your sure you want it :) But how I feel is, Do it! Get it all! Buy it now! Do it!!!!!Do it!!!!
    well I had decided to stick with TS3 and TS2 since I love those, but then I thought Hey it's friday I feel like getting TS4. So basically I got everything and now i'm playing it!!! thanks for everyone's comments :D
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Lol well good for you, I hope you enjoy :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    :o Yeah, Fridays will do that to you :D

Glad you got them all. I just read the thread and I think you will enjoy the game.

Happy Simming ;)
  • ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    Well its on 50% sale right now on origin so if ur gonna get it, this is ur chance
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.