Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Preference in The Sims 4?

AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
I'm not sure if there's a topic already out there, but I am curious if the gender preference makes a return?

For those who played previous Sims games, Sims 2 introduced this feature though hidden. Basically everyone starts neutral but changes depending on which gender your Sim interacts romantically.

I know same-sex relationships are possible, but I want some of my Sims strictly straight or gay.

ETA:
Basically straight sims would be hard to woo by the same gender but can be successful if given enough effort, the same goes for gay sims.
Neutral/Bi-sexual sims are easy to woo by both gender

I didn't know Bi is a censored word, hope I didn't offend anyone. :(
muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited October 2014
    I want this too. I see sims who are romantically involved with a certain gender flirting with other genders as well.
  • AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited October 2014
    ETA:
    Basically straight sims would be hard to woo by the same gender but can be successful if given enough effort, the same goes for gay sims.
    Neutral/Bi-sex sims are easy to woo by both gender

I didn't know Bi is a censored word, hope I didn't offend anyone. :(
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Curiously enough all my sims are gay :) . Even though I play high autonomy, the sims I play don't seem to respond to flirty sims unless I instruct them to. The flirty townies are often same sex, so I wonder if the townie sims recognize past behavior of my played sim. But I could be reading too much into the situations. It certainly complicates my legacy games.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    My Sim doesn't respond to any autonomously flirty Sim -- though his husband might since he's got the Romantic trait. (Been keeping close tabs on him though.) While it might be nice to be able to set gender preference somehow in CAS, it could be controversial in some countries (thinking especially Russia with what's going on over there). Maybe some clever person can develop a mod?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ShuushiiShuushii Posts: 745 Member
    edited October 2014
    This would be a nice variety. I always have straight sims in my game but if I want a change for some reason I'd have gay sims, some are mine and some are townies.
    It'll also be cool if Sims had attraction levels as well. Like they should be attracted to certain traits, hair color, weight, zodiac sign etc,
    codxHiZ.jpg
    Disclaimer: He or Him! Not a girl!
    Shuushii wrote: »
    attracted to certain traits, hair color, weight, zodiac sign etc,

Aaah. Sims 2. Good times.

• ShuushiiShuushii Posts: 745 Member
    edited October 2014
    Shuushii wrote: »
    attracted to certain traits, hair color, weight, zodiac sign etc,

Aaah. Sims 2. Good times.

I know, I don't understand why they took that out. It gave the Sims more personality :(
    codxHiZ.jpg
    Disclaimer: He or Him! Not a girl!
  • JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    I've only had one female-with-female relationship, but that was just to fulfill the Be The Girlfriend of 10 different Sims in The Sims 3 when Sunset Valley ran outta nice looking guys who weren't married. Most of my guys are flaming bodybuilders though... usually can't help it. :pensive:

So yeah, basically all of my females are straight and most of my dudes end up gay :v
  • Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    I only play two gay male sims for my legacy. As my sims have gone to the bar and park I always look for other gay sims and have not seen any. I would love to see it. But then again I have not seen other married straight couples automously flirting with each other either. Really disappointing. I wish we could set up gender preference in CAS. And if a sim was being flirted with by the wrong gender then they should not respond to it.
    Kamb64 wrote: »
    I always look for other gay sims and have not seen any.

I think your sims just need to be more pro-active.

• Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    I always look for other gay sims and have not seen any.

I think your sims just need to be more pro-active.

Like how?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've only had one female-with-female relationship, but that was just to fulfill the Be The Girlfriend of 10 different Sims in The Sims 3 when Sunset Valley ran outta nice looking guys who weren't married. Most of my guys are flaming bodybuilders though... usually can't help it. :pensive:

So yeah, basically all of my females are straight and most of my dudes end up gay :v

So your Sims live in San Francisco? B) (I'm joking...but according to my single friends sometimes it feels like that's the case...)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    Like how?

The usual way. Strike up a conversation. Chat a while, ask if they are seeing anyone. Chat some more, flirt. It works for my sims.

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited October 2014
    Haha one time I was switching houses in TS3 and when I came back the house I was playing the son was gay. I thought it was cute that when he was a YA they got married and adopted a little girl.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited October 2014
    Is there a need for one? I always liked how sims have been fluid with their sexuality, and we haven't been forced to label them a certain way. I'd like to keep it that way.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »
    Is there a need for one? I always liked how sims have been fluid with their sexuality, and we haven't been forced to label them a certain way. I'd like to keep it that way.
    Yes I demand that we label our sims.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    I'm trying to make my male sim lean towards a certain way but he seems to be attracting everybody!!!I have a feeling he may end up right in the middle. :p I'm not sure what to do with him to be honest. The ladies can't seem to resist him even though I'm trying to make him flirt with the guys.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • SirhirokiSirhiroki Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2014
    Sure I don't mind. Maybe while they're at it they could let me set my sim to aromantic too because I don't like those random romantic encounters for some of my sims >_>
    I hadn't considered it might be a problem for some countries, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just asking if it does make a return,
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Gender_preference
    If this is a big issue to many, I don't want to cause trouble, guess I'm better off asking for a mod for this.
    Sirhiroki wrote: »
    Sure I don't mind. Maybe while they're at it they could let me set my sim to aromantic too because I don't like those random romantic encounters for some of my sims >_>
    I think this could work well as a trait.
  • MrGodardMrGodard Posts: 713 Member
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    I hadn't considered it might be a problem for some countries, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just asking if it does make a return,
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Gender_preference
    If this is a big issue to many, I don't want to cause trouble, guess I'm better off asking for a mod for this.
    Sirhiroki wrote: »
    I think this could work well as a trait.

Like the unflirty trait in Sims 3 ;)
    Ah yes that one, I have forgotten about that trait out of many available in Sims 3, gotta bet back playing it some time. :D
  • JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    > @Shuushii said:
    > This would be a nice variety. I always have straight sims in my game but if I want a change for some reason I'd have gay sims, some are mine and some are townies.
    > It'll also be cool if Sims had attraction levels as well. Like they should be attracted to certain traits, hair color, weight, zodiac sign etc,

I would love this! I've been saying the same thing - it'd be so cool if while they were all focused on the "new & improved complex personalities" of the individual Sim, they could further develop relationships and what may factor in to a person falling head over heels and what might be an automatic, "not with a 10 ft pole"
    TS3 kinda had that with the favorite food - but it was really basic. Incorporating character preferences, zodiac sign, physical preferences...that could definitely add a lil pizazz to this game1
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    There should be a code somewhere in the game. Just like in TS2 and TS3(available through a mod). Has anyone digged it out yet?
  • ID-ChristianID-Christian Posts: 128 Member
    > @Shuushii said:
    > CorkysPetals wrote: »
    >
    > Shuushii wrote: »
    >
    > attracted to certain traits, hair color, weight, zodiac sign etc,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Aaah. Sims 2. Good times.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I know, I don't understand why they took that out. It gave the Sims more personality :(

They took out many features unfortunately. They water it down, while added some new things. Just to think that TS4 came out without pools, ghosts and many other things makes me feel disappointed. At least they are trying to fix it.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    According to @simgurugraham there's gender preferences. By default it's set to straight I believe?

I asked him and he said the well spawns the gender your sim is autonomously attracted to

Maybe he or another guru could come in and explain it all?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png