July 10 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!
July 8 - A patch for The Sims 4 is ready for you to install it! Check the patch notes out here.

Toddlers need to be given to us in a *FREE* patch! NOT in any form of DLC!

First of all, for those who don't know, DLC stands for "Downloadable Content" (In Sims 4, this includes expansion packs, game packs, stuff packs).

I keep seeing posts around the forums by people suggesting that toddlers could (or even "should") be included in some kind of pack. But, what many people aren't realizing is that the idea isn't realistic or practical. It's definitely possible (and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if EA did decide to release them that way), but, if toddlers are released in some kind of pack, that's all the content we will ever see for toddlers. Most people are suggesting some kind of "Generations" expansion pack.

People don't realize that toddlers being included in a pack means all their content would be tied to that single pack and nothing else. This creates a huge problem for future possible packs the developers might release. If this were the case, then toddlers would need to have enough content in that pack alone to last for the rest of The Sims 4. This includes outerwear (in case 'Seasons' is ever released), the option to create supernatural toddlers (if 'Supernatural' ever comes out), etc. Including toddlers in a pack would be pointless.

Toddlers should be patched in for free with basic content (like cribs, high chairs, potty chairs, toys, etc) and features (like learning to walk, learning to talk, etc). Then the gameplay can be further expanded in an expansion pack (probably 'Generations'). The patch would need to be pretty big, but it's only fair and practical for EA to do this. The fans shouldn't be the ones having to pay money for content that should've been included in the base game to begin with. Sims 2 and Sims 3 each had toddlers in their base games. The fact that Sims 4 lacks them is NOT acceptable. We don't even have a logical reason why they were removed. In fact, toddlers were indeed originally confirmed to be in the game while it was in development, but they were removed at last minute.

This is how I see toddlers being released:

An announcement of an upcoming 'Generations' expansion pack is released. Prior to the release of that pack, we get a patch for the game that contains toddlers (with the basic content and features that should come with them). Every expansion pack so far has had some kind of patch that brings a decently large feature into the base game (for 'Get To Work', we got basements. for 'Get Together, we got groups). For 'Generations', I can see toddlers being patched in prior to release.

And honestly, if EA knows what's good for them, this would be a good decision to make. Not only would it be pointless to release toddlers as DLC, but it would outrage too many fans. They've already experienced enough backlash for lacking them in the first place. Making players who want them in their games actually pay extra money to have them would only add fuel to the backlash.

In my opinion, toddlers either need to be patched in or not put into the game at all. If EA decides to make us pay for toddlers if we want them, I'll officially be done with The Sims 4. I won't purchase any future DLC and would need to think twice about buying Sims 5 (if they ever create another game).

Also, for anyone who simply doesn't want toddlers in their game, just skip the life stage if it bothers you so much. Toddlers are a feature that has been included in both recent installments of the franchise. It's not fair for EA to suddenly remove them in The Sims 4. It would also not be fair to simply never give us toddlers because some don't want them.
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
Sims 4: Dine Out Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,310 Member
    You have a well thought out argument and I agree.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Such a long essay.

    To be honest I haven't seen anyone say that they should be included in some kind of pack. What people are saying, is that they expect them to be worked on with an Expansion budget like Generations and patched in a week before.


    My opinion;

    If getting Toddlers in the Sims 4 through an Expansion pack is the only way to get them, and that's all there is, then sure. If I had the choice of getting them through an Expansion or not at all, I would pick Expansion.
    We got A LOT of extra stuff in the base game that usually came with Expansions. Heaps of objects, venues, gameplay that I usually have to pay for.

    Also, if Toddlers came in a Generations Expansion, I wouldn't really have an issue. Because if Toddlers were patched in I would be buying Generations anyway.

    I would however REFUSE to buy a Game Pack bases around Toddlers. That would be a kick in the face.
    I don't mind them being included in an Expansion that is based around families and it would be silly to beg for Toddlers and then not want a family EP.

    But a Toddler Game Pack is just pushing it, because it's $20 just for Toddlers.

    ---

    They SHOULD patch them in for free, but if EA being EA say it has to be paid DLC, they better include it in an Generations/Family EP.

    I will not pay $20 for a Toddler GP.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,092 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Such a long essay.

    To be honest I haven't seen anyone say that they should be included in some kind of pack. What people are saying, is that they expect them to be worked on with an Expansion budget like Generations and patched in a week before.


    My opinion;

    If getting Toddlers in the Sims 4 through an Expansion pack is the only way to get them, and that's all there is, then sure. If I had the choice of getting them through an Expansion or not at all, I would pick Expansion.
    We got A LOT of extra stuff in the base game that usually came with Expansions. Heaps of objects, venues, gameplay that I usually have to pay for.

    Also, if Toddlers came in a Generations Expansion, I wouldn't really have an issue. Because if Toddlers were patched in I would be buying Generations anyway.

    I would however REFUSE to buy a Game Pack bases around Toddlers. That would be a kick in the face.
    I don't mind them being included in an Expansion that is based around families and it would be silly to beg for Toddlers and then not want a family EP.

    But a Toddler Game Pack is just pushing it, because it's $20 just for Toddlers.

    ---

    They SHOULD patch them in for free, but if EA being EA say it has to be paid DLC, they better include it in an Generations/Family EP.

    I will not pay $20 for a Toddler GP.

    The point you made about releasing a 'Generations' expansion pack and having toddlers released in a free patch a week before (or something similar) is something I would be fine with. I actually made note of that in my post.

    But, I can't agree that I would rather have toddlers included in a pack than not at all. I refuse to pay for base game content. EA is lucky they even got my money for 'Perfect Patio' when they actually decided to basically sell hot tubs for $10 (yes, I'm aware the stuff pack came with other content, but there's no doubt in my mind that most people bought it for hot tubs).

    It's not about whether or not I would have bought a 'Generations' pack anyway. It's about game companies always assuming they can keep releasing incomplete games and making their fans pay extra later on for the missing content. It's the principle that matters. It's true that I would most likely buy a 'Generations' pack regardless. But, I refuse to purchase an expansion pack just to have toddlers. That's the point I'm trying to make. It's basically EA's non-explicit way of making us pay for base game content.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
    Sims 4: Dine Out Game Pack

    78MB6Gb.jpg
  • FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2016
    Agreed.

    I am not paying money for something that should have been in the base game.

    I also agree that I wouldn't mind if EA patched in toddlers for free, but added a generations style game pack with more content for those who want it.
    \cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    It would make no difference to me because I don't like them but it would make many fans happy. I keep thinking they would put toddlers in a pack to get more money off the pack since so any fans want them and are willing to pay for them if they have no choice
  • Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 307 Member
    I 100% agree with you, except in the part you say that if toddlers only come in a DLC you wouldn't buy. But this is your decision to buy or not to buy something, so I have nothing to argue :blush:
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,159 Member
    Depends on their patch limitations, if they have any. They've also given out a free pack before, so I could see that as an option and then assume everyone has toddlers from then on when creating content. I wonder what will happen if they add preteens as well though.
    vVW1BI8.png
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
    Simblr
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,307 Member
    I believe there will be limitations with patching, and toddlers will be compromised in some form. What I do not want is them giving us toddlers for free, but half-baked. If they come in TS4, they should be better than 2 and 3.

    If them coming in a Generations pack means they'll be fully fleshed out, then I'm fine with that.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,369 Member
    The Guru's respond to us, SimguruDrake even stickied a thread for the Ideas and what helps immerse you Into family play.
    But I feel like threads like these are just rude and demanding. You never know what they're making or trying to prepare for us.
    We rant and rant about it, they know more about the game than we do..

    They built the engine, made the game, so they will know how to properly install toddlers Into our games.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,369 Member
    Now us simmers have to bring attention to what we want In game, that's no problem.
    We continue to bring attention and make threads, petitions and tweet enough and they will notice it (I'm sure they do notice it)
    But don't hard shell when you never know what's coming..
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 2,970 Member
    edited March 2016
    I've been saying this for ages - that a DLC is not practical, and it would need to be a patch for the base game, like pools and ghosts. After all, not everybody can buy the DLC. To have to pay for what really ought to be there anyway would infuriate people, while if it was free, people might actually start to trust EA again.

    On the other hand, if toddlers were in the base game, it would be possible to bring out game and stuff packs for babies and young children, so EA wouldn't have to lose out financially (because you know they wouldn't otherwise).
    "I'm not saying Stuff Packs thrill me to my wretched, rotting core. I'm just saying that we only get one expansion pack a year because Devs only have one pair of hands. You want to buy more half-finished packs like Get To Work? Do you?"
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,768 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    The Guru's respond to us, SimguruDrake even stickied a thread for the Ideas and what helps immerse you Into family play.
    But I feel like threads like these are just rude and demanding. You never know what they're making or trying to prepare for us.
    We rant and rant about it, they know more about the game than we do..

    They built the engine, made the game, so they will know how to properly install toddlers Into our games.

    It is funny that you say this when they are constantly releasing patches that break their own game and still can't even fix half the stuff they mess up.

    Also, since when is sharing an opinion rude?
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I don't have a problem paying for Toddlers as part of an expansion pack. They may be patched in for free in a basic form but with an accompanying Expansion or maybe even Game pack with extra stuff to flesh out play just like every other pack. I really don't expect a fully developed life state with everything that might have been expected to have been added over the past year and a half to be given out for free.

  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,369 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    The Guru's respond to us, SimguruDrake even stickied a thread for the Ideas and what helps immerse you Into family play.
    But I feel like threads like these are just rude and demanding. You never know what they're making or trying to prepare for us.
    We rant and rant about it, they know more about the game than we do..

    They built the engine, made the game, so they will know how to properly install toddlers Into our games.

    It is funny that you say this when they are constantly releasing patches that break their own game and still can't even fix half the stuff they mess up.

    Also, since when is sharing an opinion rude?

    I said, I feel. Never did I say this thread In general Is rude. An second of all, no game will ever be perfect, there far more games falling further than the Sims franchise. Be glad they even release patches. I sure as helll wouldn't wanna make something for people who are going to make threads and demand Instead of explaining with proper constructive criticism so that my team and I are able to Implement what you want Into the game. There's a reason why SimguruDrake stickied the toddler Idea thread.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,092 Member
    poppykoke wrote: »
    poppykoke wrote: »
    The Guru's respond to us, SimguruDrake even stickied a thread for the Ideas and what helps immerse you Into family play.
    But I feel like threads like these are just rude and demanding. You never know what they're making or trying to prepare for us.
    We rant and rant about it, they know more about the game than we do..

    They built the engine, made the game, so they will know how to properly install toddlers Into our games.

    It is funny that you say this when they are constantly releasing patches that break their own game and still can't even fix half the stuff they mess up.

    Also, since when is sharing an opinion rude?

    I said, I feel. Never did I say this thread In general Is rude. An second of all, no game will ever be perfect, there far more games falling further than the Sims franchise. Be glad they even release patches. I sure as helll wouldn't wanna make something for people who are going to make threads and demand Instead of explaining with proper constructive criticism so that my team and I are able to Implement what you want Into the game. There's a reason why SimguruDrake stickied the toddler Idea thread.

    Oh give me a break! This isn't about a game being perfect or how other games fall further behind than The Sims! It's about the fact that Sims 2 and Sims 3 both included toddlers in their base games with no problem, but suddenly Sims 4 lacks them for no reason at all. It's about the fact that toddlers were originally confirmed to be in the game, but removed at last minute.

    Also, we've already given them chances to respond to our criticism. We've been asking for toddlers since even before the game was released and we have yet to even receive a direct answer! Stop giving them excuses for ignoring and denying our requests. That's all on them, not us! It's people like you who make game companies think it's 'okay' to constantly release unfinished games and then making their players pay extra later on for the missing content with no backlash!

    Sims fans are literally the most loyal and dedicated people of any video game franchise! We've been ripped off, robbed of our money, and lied to so many times over the past 15 years, but we still stick around for EA and Maxis to continue doing what they have been. They should be happy and grateful they even have fans left! The Sims has always been a money grabbing cash cow since day ONE! With all the overly priced expansion packs, stuff packs, store content, and game packs they've released over the years, they should feel lucky people are still willing to give their money to them!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
    Sims 4: Dine Out Game Pack

    78MB6Gb.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,743 Member
    I agree with those who believe toddlers should be free and not paid for because I look at it as a way of juicing the customers, another word for it nickeling and diming it's customers like you are on a plane. Also, if you no pay, you get no toddlers and they will remain hostages until you pay the ransom. I guess they will charge for editing tools as well.
    AMD 2700X 16 GB Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB THX Trustudio LG Ultrawide 34"
    Intel 6700K 16 GB ASUS RTX 2070 Strix 8 GB Stryker Full Tower SB Z-Series Samsung Curved 32"
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,726 Member
    not fair? first world problems.
    2r6dssg.png
  • barbaraluv86barbaraluv86 Posts: 129 Member
    People who even think we're getting toddlers are gonna be hella disappointed by the time Sims 5 (if it's even made) comes around. They weren't worked on pre- release and they aren't worked on now or ever will be. When it finally hits the fan, come play Stardew Valley. The game offers so much for $15 and it has TODDLERS. And the sole developer of the game said he will try to see if he can add other life stages that can play well into inheriting the farm later on.

    GET HYPED!!!!!
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,092 Member
    not fair? first world problems.

    Because I'm sure there has never been a point in your whole life when you thought something wasn't fair... *rolls eyes* Get over yourself.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
    Sims 4: Dine Out Game Pack

    78MB6Gb.jpg
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,067 Member
    Ummm.... no they don't. While it would be appreciated, it's in no way mandatory. EA is a business. You bought the game knowing that toddlers were going to come in the future, and you knew how most future content is added to the game--in the form of EPs. EA never said they would give us toddlers for free. If they are bundled in a Generations pack and they are awesome, that is sufficient. Of course free is better, but DLC is fine. Maybe if toddlers are not vital for your gameplay you can sit them out if they are DLC. I can't and won't. I'll pay for tots and better family play because my game is useless otherwise. :unamused:
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,092 Member
    Ummm.... no they don't. While it would be appreciated, it's in no way mandatory. EA is a business. You bought the game knowing that toddlers were going to come in the future, and you knew how most future content is added to the game--in the form of EPs. EA never said they would give us toddlers for free. If they are bundled in a Generations pack and they are awesome, that is sufficient. Of course free is better, but DLC is fine. Maybe if toddlers are not vital for your gameplay you can sit them out if they are DLC. I can't and won't. I'll pay for tots and better family play because my game is useless otherwise. :unamused:

    You clearly didn't read the entire post... all you read was "toddlers need to be given to us for free" and decided to comment. Also, people like you only prove my point even further. It's people like you who make game companies actually believe it's 'okay' to release incomplete games and then make their fans pay extra money later on for the missing content. People like you are the problem with the gaming industry.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
    Sims 4: Dine Out Game Pack

    78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,875 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ummm.... no they don't. While it would be appreciated, it's in no way mandatory. EA is a business. You bought the game knowing that toddlers were going to come in the future, and you knew how most future content is added to the game--in the form of EPs. EA never said they would give us toddlers for free. If they are bundled in a Generations pack and they are awesome, that is sufficient. Of course free is better, but DLC is fine. Maybe if toddlers are not vital for your gameplay you can sit them out if they are DLC. I can't and won't. I'll pay for tots and better family play because my game is useless otherwise. :unamused:

    You clearly didn't read the entire post... all you read was "toddlers need to be given to us for free" and decided to comment. Also, people like you only prove my point even further. It's people like you who make game companies actually believe it's 'okay' to release incomplete games and then make their fans pay extra money later on for the missing content. People like you are the problem with the gaming industry.

    I thought people who acted like they suddenly became top notch reviewers and critics and act like they know what they're taking about (but they really don't) were ruining the gaming industry, but it must be the people buying extra content for a game they like.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ummm.... no they don't. While it would be appreciated, it's in no way mandatory. EA is a business. You bought the game knowing that toddlers were going to come in the future, and you knew how most future content is added to the game--in the form of EPs. EA never said they would give us toddlers for free. If they are bundled in a Generations pack and they are awesome, that is sufficient. Of course free is better, but DLC is fine. Maybe if toddlers are not vital for your gameplay you can sit them out if they are DLC. I can't and won't. I'll pay for tots and better family play because my game is useless otherwise. :unamused:

    I won't and I can't. I've already raised my children. I don't need to raise EA too. Give an inch, and a mile will be taken. This has already been proven. What will you be willing to pay for next?

    I won't condone this practice. If this means the end. So be it (for me). There are plenty of other things I can do with my life.

    All I can say is if they charge for this life stage, it will only resolve my decision to stop supporting the company. I'd actually respect them more if they chose not to add them and came clean on their decision. But to charge me for it? Hells NO!
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top