Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    I think making another thread would be excessive/unnecessary, personally!
    snvAF3B.png
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @CathyTea I like your idea. I'd keep it to 2 months at the most and have the stories selected by the readers.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    @CathyTea I like your idea. I'd keep it to 2 months at the most and have the stories selected by the readers.

Ok! Let's do this!

Start thinking of your selections! We'll be ready maybe in late June or the beginning of July! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    ::shyly raises hand:: Can we have two book club threads? One for New and One for Revisits? Or two stories a week; one for New and one for revisits?

That's an interesting idea! Let's see what everyone thinks! If we did have a second one for Revisits, I'd need somebody else to coordinate it--if I took it on, I'd be spread too thin!

I love the revisit idea. I've been lurking in this thread because I'm so stretched for time I don't have much time to participate. I do love the idea of doing revisits. Maybe not in a second thread, but maybe doing book club twice a week, one for revisits and one for new stories. I think we should do revisits until the story is done. That would be so nice to be able to discuss a story from beginning to end in here. :)
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    edited March 2016
    CathyTea wrote: »
    (I'm leaning towards "Summer ReRuns"--catching up on those we read a few months to a year before... keeping it in this thread, so we don't get spread out and, as readers, don't have to keep up with having two reading lists [or more--some of us are independently working on #ProjectIndex with the various indices...] )

Let's see how others weigh in! :)

I vote yes! I love this idea! I was bummed thinking that I'd be introduced to all these great stories and there'd be only 1 week to discuss them. I love the idea of revisiting old stories we've already discussed to get the update on characters and stories we fall in love with in here.

It will be so nice to be able to discuss in book club our favorite series from beginning to end. <3
    ***runs in late carrying a big tray of lattes, coffee, tea, a plate of walnuts and raisins, bowls of blueberries and strawberries, fresh yogurt, and oatmeal cinnamon cookies***

Happy Timezones! I'm so sorry I'm late! I got wrapped up in the latest chapter of my game that I'm playing and I forgot all about schedules and what day it was and what other activities exist!

So! Happy Coffee Hour!

Today, we get to talk about a personal favorite of mine, @Rinellie 's "My Experiences With Autonomy." I hope you've had as much fun reading it as I have!

Questions for the Writer

-->Compare your experiences writing this story with writing the Miribi Prettacy. What's similar in the experience of writing both? What's different in writing each?

-->What surprises have you encountered as a Simmer in playing this game? What surprises have you encountered in writing the story?

-->What are some of your favorite moments so far?

-->What have you learned about Sims in general and your Sims in particular through this experience?

-->Do you have any questions for readers?

Questions for Readers

-->What did you expect from this story? In what ways has the story surprised you?

-->What are some of your favorite moments?

-->How would you compare your emotional connection to the Sims in this story with your emotional connection to Sims in more plot-driven stories?

-->What questions do you have for Rinellie?

(I'll be back in about five or six hours with a second round of follow-up questions! Enjoy the tea, coffee, and snacks, lovelies!)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @CathyTea I had hoped to join in on this weeks reading/coffee hour but I've been very sick this week and had appointments at the doctor for my mom and myself. When I had free time just recreating my 100 BC file took so much time. My Vampiracy is next on my list to recreate. The most annoying part will be aging certain sim town families and creating a few kids besides recreating the school set I need for the next few chapters... ugh.

I promise to start participating with next week's story but I want to be sure I can have my next new chapters up starting in March so the book club can hopefully have most of Gen 2 to read also.
    @JLBDreamer Hope you feel better soon!

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i remered to get the coffee. i forgot to finish reading. i think i started reading.
  • VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    -->What did you expect from this story? In what ways has the story surprised you?
    I really didn’t expect autonomy to bring about so many captivating opportunities for in-game drama lol! Between Morgan and Jed alone it was a piñata of wild and crazy scenarios!! Now given the boys are the main focus, things have not changed in terms of mouth opening scenarios and shenanigans.

Ulrike was incredibly fun to follow as Jed’s heart was torn in so many different directions. Which brings me to NANCY OMG I about lost it when he was digging on her in her elder phase of life. Well, honestly the fact that Jed was hands on (if you know what I mean) with all the elderly women in town was hilarious.

-->How would you compare your emotional connection to the Sims in this story with your emotional connection to Sims in more plot-driven stories?
    This is one of those stories where you can digress from your busy day and unwind with some non plot driven story line. Although, I may have to argue my own previous point, because there were some serious drama in that Jed would not flipping settle down fast enough haha, so it created its own plot so to speak.
    Conflictingly, you aren’t as connected to the characters as a strong plotted story-line so when the characters in a lighter legacy passes on its not as impactful.
    Yet having the founding couple die at the same time was VERY impacting!!
     There I go contradicting myself yet again!

-->What questions do you have for Rinellie?

Do you find you are more enthusiastic about this type of legacy versus a heavy/serious point taking challenge/story?
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    What did you expect from this story? In what ways has the story surprised you?

I thought it would be exactly what the title said, and it largely was. But I didn't expect there to be as much character squeezed out of sims who were acting on their own limited terms. And thank goodness that there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

What are some of your favorite moments?

I actually liked those cameo's from Jed's mistress. It was nice to see that the world outside the household progressed and had a little life of its own. For being a dirty woman who slept with a married man, there's something nice and friendly-feeling about her.

In general for legacies, I find a lot of strange enjoyment about finding out what background characters are up to. Is our heir's cousin sleeping with three different men? Is their defected sister pregnant again, for like the fifth time now? Fascinating! So I'll latch onto the strangest of minor characters while reading.

How would you compare your emotional connection to the Sims in this story with your emotional connection to Sims in more plot-driven stories?

Hmm. You definitely get invested for different reasons. But I also think that autonomy gives enough of a reason to care about characters. I had no idea what kind of guy Jed was when he was introduced, but I still wanted to know how he'd direct himself. While more plot-driven stories have to rely on a little more. Did the author make a fascinating character? Will the author craft a good story? Not concerns when it's in the hands of AI and a little bit of interpretation.

What questions do you have for Rinellie?

I was on the edge of my dear wondering how, or even if Jed would actually fall for someone and who it was. Were you too? And did you have any "last resorts" if he didn't have feelings for Morgan?

Oh, and I had a great time reading. Well done!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    Hey everyone! Thanks for joining in! I really appreciate it :)

1)Compare your experiences writing this story with writing the Miribi Prettacy. What's similar in the experience of writing both? What's different in writing each?

Hm, honestly there isn't much that's similar. I'm in two totally different mindframes when I write them. For MEWA, I can be in any sort of mood and be able to write an update. I just look at the screenshots I have and try to remember how I felt while playing (because the gameplay really felt like a story to me that I was watching), and a chapter is written heh.

For my prettacy, I have to be in a very prepared state. I'll tell myself in the morning before work that I'm going to write a chapter when I get home. And then I spend a lot of time looking at my screenshots and forming a basic outline for the chapter in my head, and it'll take me usually 2-3 hours to write afterwards. I'm very slow :tongue:

On one hand, it feels like more work to write for my prettacy, but on the other, it also feels like more of an accomplishment. MEWA is a fun extra story I write mostly so that I don't forget how I felt while playing; my prettacy is more of a story I craft, I guess you could say.

2) What surprises have you encountered as a Simmer in playing this game? What surprises have you encountered in writing the story?

I was surprised to see just how much personality my sims had on their own. I usually play in a more controlled way, and I used to be of the mind that most of the traits didn't have a ton of effect on sims. So the things I'd see my sims do in the past never surprised me much. But when I played this way, I saw so much more in my sims than I did before.

As for writing the story, I think all my surprises in writing were caused by surprises in game. The event that floored me the most was Jed rolling a whim to flirt with Nancy. I think it didn't come across quite as shocking in the story as it was in game because I sort of hinted at it a few times in my writing, but when I was playing, that whim was such a surprise!

3) What are some of your favorite moments so far?

I don't know if this counts as a moment--it's more a collection of moments--but Jed and Morgan's wedding was one of the most entertaining events I've watched in game :lol: There were even a few strange things that happened that I didn't include in the chapter as it was already quite long.

I also really liked when Ulrike's ghost showed up all angry after Jed was getting his flirt on with The Mistress. I know according to code, her anger wasn't related, but the timing was so perfect that it really felt like it was. And then how Jed woke up despite his energy bar not being full just to go glare at her? It was so fascinating to watch.

Really, any scene with Ulrike is a favorite of mine heh. She always shows such love for Jed and his family. She steals my heart every time she shows up.

4) What have you learned about Sims in general and your Sims in particular through this experience?

I learned that you don't have to control them to connect to them. I'm sure it's no secret to any readers here that I'm in love with Ulrike :lol: I only had control of her for I think two days, but she has become one of my favorite sims ever. I usually play more contained, focusing only on the sims in my household and not paying much attention to the other sims around them. But they have just as much personality as mine do, and I began to really see that when I played this family.

With my sims, I've learned that they can change and become different than I expected them to turn out. As a child, Jesse was generally sweet, but he could get up to some mischief sometimes. He wasn't nearly as gentle as Jeremy. So when he became a teen, I thought the Public Enemy aspiration would be a good fit. But as he grew older, he became kinder, and I realized I was kind of forcing him to complete milestones in his aspiration. Sims aren't always what they seem!

5) Do you have any questions for readers?

What do you think of Morgan? I feel like I gave her the short end of the stick because I liked Ulrike so much lol. Did Morgan have personality in your eyes?
    Ugh, my internet is terrible right now, and it won't let me edit my comment. I have one more question for readers though!

Any new title suggestions? :lol:
    Bleh, can't quote either!

@VIRTUALEE Do you find you are more enthusiastic about this type of legacy versus a heavy/serious point taking challenge/story?

Hm, I don't think I would say I'm more enthusiastic about either type. I think there's a time and a place for both kinds of stories. It's like you said, a simple Let's Play-style legacy is good for unwinding and just having some fun :) And then a more serious story is good for when you really want to get your brain moving. In terms of writing, I'd say it's easier and maybe even more fun to write MEWA than a more serious story, but I still don't think I'd say I'm more enthusiastic about it.

@InfraGreen I was on the edge of my dear wondering how, or even if Jed would actually fall for someone and who it was. Were you too? And did you have any "last resorts" if he didn't have feelings for Morgan?

Oh, I totally was! His biological clock just kept ticking, and he would not for the life of him show significant interest in anyone besides Nancy. I was pretty certain I was going to have him drink a potion of youth even before getting too far into the game, so I knew I would have a little extra time, but even still, I had major doubts he would ever make a decision. If he hadn't connected with Morgan on their date, I think I probably would have just had him spend more time with other sims besides Ulrike and Morgan. I don't remember having any last resorts heh. But who knows? Maybe I would have had him adopt or something. (Even though I love in game genetics so much :'()

I also gotta say that I'm so glad you like The Mistress :lol: I felt so bad that I allowed Jed to cheat, so I thought most people wouldn't like her and would wonder why I kept inviting her to events hahaha. Their affair is really more Jed's/my fault anyway, not hers. She's not so bad, like you said.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    I've just started reading this, so I'm going to pick a question here and there.

So far I enjoyed JedxMorganxMoira trio immensely. They are hilarious!
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    What do you think of Morgan?

Definitely didn't dislike her, but there just wasn't much time to focus on her and the stuff she did. I think with more time, she could have developed better, but the game loves to be cruel with aging sims and whatnot. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    What did you expect from this story? In what ways has the story surprised you?
    I've actually been planning to read this one for a while so I'm glad Book Club gave me that final nudge :) I didn't expect anything in particular, but from experience I know that sims are quite good at crafting their own stories, so I knew I wasn't going to be bored.

What are some of your favorite moments?
    I really liked the interaction between Morgan and Ulrike's ghost when Morgan's ghost showed up for the first time. Actually, any ghost appearances of Ulrike were really interesting to watch, it's like she always wore her heart on her sleeve, bless her. But this particular one, where the two women started off angry and eneded the night by being friendly and sharing a meal as if to say "we've done well here" was especially awesome.

How would you compare your emotional connection to the Sims in this story with your emotional connection to Sims in more plot-driven stories?
    Well, in this story you root for the actual sims and whatever they want, whereas in plot driven stories you're seeing whatever the author wants you to see and it doesn't necessarily reflect their game at all. On the other hand, since this story is more of a narration maybe you don't get to know them on at as deep a level you would in a different type of story, but at the same time, what you do get to see is the real them (now I should probably remind myself that we're talking about sims here haha).

What questions do you have for Rinellie?
    Has this legacy changed the way you play in general?

What do you think of Morgan?
    I felt a bit bad for her since Jed/you never got too invested in their relationship. But she took the high road, and let all of his cheating slip. I feel like she showed her personality there - I've had sims completely flip and burn bridges over an innocent flirt so kudos to Morgan for just playing it cool and knowing that what she has with her husband is special on its own.

I was ready for a quick, light Let's Play style of reading, without a lot of emotional engagement. I was so surprised! I found myself caring for these Sims way more than I care for a lot of the characters in some of the plot-driven stories I read. When I read plot-driven stories, it's so clear to me that the characters come from the writers. So I care about the characters in the way that I care about fictional characters--interesting made-up people from the writer's inventive mind.

In this story, I fell in love with these Sims. As actual digital beings with their own individual expressions of artificial intelligence and artificial emotion, their own abilities to choose, sometimes for good and sometimes for mischief or complication!

Ulrike floored me with her amazing actions!

I found myself reflecting a lot on how individual even the same iterations of the same premades can be in different games. The Ulrikes I've played are each a bit different than this one (But Nancy is Nancy! LOL!).

I loved when Ulrike moved in, and I positively adored that evening when Ulrike and Morgan's ghosts were together.

Oops--already answered this one! I do connect so much more deeply with the actual Sims in this story since I get to know them as they are in actuality, not as they are as actors. It's like getting to see the real Morgan Freeman at home in his daily life, rather than seeing him acting as
    Somerset in the movie Se7en.

-->What do you think of Morgan?

I love her! I really enjoyed seeing her the way that Moira kept trying to hook up her and Jed! That was so funny!

(got super busy yesterday so I didn't have a chance to stop by with bonus questions... here ya go with a the bonus top-off question!)

Who's your favorite character and what makes him or her your favorite?

• SterretjeeeSterretjeee Posts: 3,019 Member
    This week has been so hectic and busy, I really had hope I could actively participate in coffee hour this week, but I haven't touched my laptop in a few days. And via mobile isn't really ideal.

I still want to show my appreciation for MEWA, though. I really love this story and wished I would be as brave as @Rinellie making my sims decide so much. She is an amazing author and their work always brings a smile at my face. Keep it up!
    This week has been so hectic and busy, I really had hope I could actively participate in coffee hour this week, but I haven't touched my laptop in a few days. And via mobile isn't really ideal.

I still want to show my appreciation for MEWA, though. I really love this story and wished I would be as brave as @Rinellie making my sims decide so much. She is an amazing author and their work always brings a smile at my face. Keep it up!

Thanks Sterretjeee! Even popping in after a busy week to say hi and share what you like about the story is worth so much! Really appreciate that you popped over!

@Rinellie Thanks so much for sharing your legacy and talking with us! I'm excited to keep reading it. This was a really fun week!

edited March 2016
    Spring Into Summer...

Ok, folks! Here's our proposal for what we look at for the next few months. I've left some openings in a few areas for additions as we find new enthusiasms. Start thinking about the reruns that you'd like to take a look at. (Reruns are catch-up visits to blogs we've already read.) I'd like to suggest that we use as a general guideline that at least ten chapters have been added to the blog since we last read it. We'll be taking your nominations soon--I think we have room for up to eight reruns!

And... here's what's coming up!

Here we go with proposals for our next few months of reading:

March With the Undead (or The Curse of Eternal Spring)

March 14 - Undead with Benefits by @pronterus
    March 21 - (Para)Normal Neighborhood - @CitizenErased14
    March 28 - Eight Cicadas by @InfraGreen
    April 4 - My Life As a Zombie by @Munterbacon
    April 11 - Chrysanthemum Tango by @RipuAncestor
    April 18 - Wild Hearts: The Wilder Vampiracy by @JLBDreamer

Season of Love

April 25 - The Bachelor: Disney Princess Version by @swcheppes
    May 2 - Love Shot 2 by @sunnyshay
    May 9 - Freezer Bunny Dating Franchises by CT, @SummerFalls , @KitDragonFlight , and @zbern12
    May 16 - The Bachelor Experiment by @PeachyKeen88

(any other dating/match-up related stories to nominate?)

Neighborhood Rotations

Vee is for Vortex by @Julyvee94
    New World Symphony (?) by CT (Might be too long--if so, we can substitute with maybe "Wonder" during the "Special Bonus Wonderfulness" month)
    The More the Wilder by @JoieWilder

Special Bonus Wonderfulness

Rocky Road by @SummerFalls
    June 13 - Letters to my Younger Self by @Pegasus143
    More Than a Princess: The Rossini Family Legacy by @CharmingMaruska

Summer Re-runs

Check back in with favorites! Get your nominations ready!
    Post edited by CathyTea on

edited March 2016
    This week's reading! Hey! We're starting our March with the Undead... also known as "The Curse of Eternal Spring!" (Yeah, speaking strictly for myself, I'm happy to have left spring behind and moved into late summer! How dreary to be stuck in spring forever while those I love walk through winter...)

We're starting off with @Pronterus ' Undead With Benefits. Get ready for fun!

• RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    All right! Bring it on! I actually have time to participate now! :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    Seeing this thread now reminded me I need to actually catch up on the current story. :worried:
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)