Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where do you get your inspiration?

This can apply to any version of Sims, really. When you create a new sim or family, do you just make them at random, or do you go in CAS with a plan? Do your sims have a back story or do you just kind of go with the flow?

Just something I've been curious about for awhile, because lately I swear I'm having CAS block or something. :grimace:
ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif

Comments

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I'm having fun making previous Sims characters that I like in CAS. The Burbs, the Pleasants..
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    My game is always about the kids... the parents are a side note but I usually start with a single sim or a married couple. Maybe I want to tell the story of a kid that had a bad childhood so I plan the parents to give him an hard time... like two people that hates each other but stay together for the children will get opposite traits... then the child will get the non committal trait as a result, for example.. but I always start by deciding the story of the future child.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I get most of my inspiration from other simmers which is why I think the forum is such an important part of the whole simming experience. Someone can discuss what's happening in their game and then I want to try it out also. Looking at all the awesome build creations in the creative corner also inspires me. I'll see a particular lot and get ideas of what type of sim should live there.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited March 2016
    I go in with a plan, My characters have existed in my head long before I thought about bringing them into the game.
    My Characters are inspired by Tv shows and I plot. Back stories are tough though because they're hard to play out.

One family I can't wait to play are, the Kings.

Once upon a time, In another realm, a two young Sorceresses were on the run from a Wrathful Queen, mother to one of the girls.
    He latest attempt was abducting her Daughter's best friend and threatened her Life to force her to stay. So Stella the Daughter of Queen Cora, broke Juliana out of the Dungeons and they ran. Created a portal to a new realm.

Briarwood (Willow Creek) 1790. On the outskirts of town they arrive to a Mysterious Town.
    image1987.jpg

they Spend two centuries starting over. in 1985 Juliana Meets two men. Hunter Dior and Trent King.
    At First Hunter and Trent battle it out both trying to win Juliana's Heart Ultimately Hunter lets Trent go when he learns about her secret, that She's a Sorceress, and travels to France (Windenburg).

Trent and Julia On their First Date At the Red Queen Night Club.
    screen_shot_2015_08_09_at_7_33_55_pm_by_mphattyboi-d95240c.png

Trent and Julia get together. Trent's parents, well his father won't approve of Julia (Racism). Trent Disowns his father,
    screen_shot_2015_08_10_at_8_23_04_am_by_mphattyboi-d9523vi.png
    And his Mother gives Trent and Julia her Blessing.
    They Get married

screen_shot_2016_01_22_at_4_27_53_pm_by_mphattyboi-d9ox1fk.png
    the Night of their Wedding at the reception of their new House, Julia takes Trent aside and tells him, her Secret, that she's a Sorceress.
    although they thought it was impossible Trent's love for her intensified. He's a Geek, a bookworm and Adventurer, the fact that there's magic in his life makes it even better.

Julia's Parents (Using Magic) buys them a house, of their own to Start a family.

screen_shot_2015_08_19_at_7_55_04_am_by_mphattyboi-d96ni03.png
    They're going to have two kids (would have been three but there was a miscarriage with the Second Child. Child 3 is going to be a Tough one.

As Julia goes into labor to deliver her son, Trent's Father dies, a few moments after (Cardiac Arrest).

Trent Says, Good Riddance.

Both Kids are going to be born Sorcerers, and Trent and Julia will raise them together.

fast forward 10 years later.

Trent is a Detective on the Briarwood PD, and trained Fire Fighter.
    One Night was on scene of a house fire.
    there was a little girl trapped in the upstairs.
    Trent Goes in, The Little girl Get out but He doesn't.

waiting in the flames is a witch, She casts a spell, Making the building explode, and abducting Trent, But making it look like He died in the fire.
    leaving His Badge and Wedding ring and a pile of human remains behind.

Julia was depressed.
    Desiree, went goth for a short phase.
    Mason, the son was broken and isolated himself.

cut to 7 years later.

Stranger Events begin to take place in Briarwood. creatures come out, Magic Hunters, Demonic attacks, the normal chaos.
    Mason, takes after his father and Uses his magic to save the town from supernatural attacks, alongside, is his best and Loyal friend Tyler who is a werewolf and Stella's 1 of 6 sons.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm a bit of a wierdo probably. Often, I see someone in real life who has a face I find interesting so I'll try to recreate them in CAS :D I don't particularly have to know the person to want to make the sims version. Wow, that sounds so stalkery...Stalkerish, oh well... it makes me sound like a stalker but I swear I don't follow them around and my only interest in them is making pretty or unique sims!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I've made sims from S2: the Montys, the Capps and the Summerdreams. I've also created characters from Harry Potter for my Harry Potter save: Harry and the Dursleys, professors from Hogwarts, the Weasleys, Hermione and her parents, the Lupins, the Malfoys and Hagrid. I also have a lot of characters from television, favorite families that I like to watch. They are already "made" and have personalities so it's fun to try and remake them as a sim. There are also builds that go with some characters like Harry Potter. I've made Hogwarts, The Three Broomsticks, Hagrids Hut and a few others.
  • PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    I get most of my inspiration from other simmers which is why I think the forum is such an important part of the whole simming experience. Someone can discuss what's happening in their game and then I want to try it out also. Looking at all the awesome build creations in the creative corner also inspires me. I'll see a particular lot and get ideas of what type of sim should live there.

I, too, get inspiration from all the creative Simmers on the forums, Gallery, and YouTube. I am amazed at what they are able to build and how creative they get in playing out their stories with all their different styles. It's captivating, and is a constant reminder to me of how wonderful The Sims series is, no matter what version one prefers. I'm so glad this game is there for us!

Doing a particular player-created challenge, or participating in one of the many Sim or Building competitions can bring a whole new perspective and purpose to game play. Other sources of inspiration for me are novels, movies, T.V. and even real-life situations. I think to myself that I'd like to try playing out a scenario in my game, perhaps with a different outcome than what I read, saw, or heard. So, sometimes I do have a plan of sorts, but I avoid doing everything the same way over and over again, with each household or save, as it becomes tiresome. Then again something I find myself doing a lot is that I will just notice and watch a particular townie for awhile, and something about them makes me want to develop a story around them--to see what their life is about. Lol. ;) I may put them in a house and play them in spurts, giving their lives a little more meaning and adventure! This makes for some spontaneous, rewarding play, as they often become an endearing, memorable character while interacting with my other favorites.

In CAS, I stretch my comfort zone in making Sims that aren't always so "perfect." I also try all the hair, clothing styles, colors, and accessories across all the categories. I vary the family structure options, too, to make every Sim and experience unique. It's interesting to see what I can combine together that I might not normally choose. It's delightful seeing the results and new discoveries, which make playing those Sims more fun. :)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited March 2016
    In CAS I get inspired mostly by my other sims, guess I'm self-inspired :D I may add their relative or future spouse in the game. I like giving them their own families/backstories too. I also get inspired by characters in my previous games. Maybe I re-create someone from TS1 or a child they could have had. Movies etc. give me inspiration for personalities, but I prefer creating their looks/stories on my own instead of copying the whole character. Building a house can be inspiring too and help with defining a character I have in mind.

I have created some real life people, but had mixed feelings about them. I like to come up with their personalities, but getting the looks right frustruates me so much!
    Post edited by musteni on
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    For sims, I usually play around in CAS until I get something I like, or I'll click on the dice for a random name and google up origin and try to make someone who'd fit the name :D If I can't find anything good, I'll play around on a name website to find something that catches my eye.
    With the name I'll think of an elaborate story that'd make them interesting, still taking their name into account. For example, a couple of my convict sims I have for townies; Jin Ruan and Rico Cabello.
    X12idfR.png
    Jin had several meanings, and the one that I used was for money. His last name, "Ruan," had possible origins to an instrument, so he's this music loving materialistic guy who turned slightly insane from staying in the joint for too long. Though, because he's been in prison for that long, I gave him reward traits "Connections" and "Observant" for an idea that he's generally a guy who's almost always one step ahead of you. His backstory was that he was arrested for racketeering.

Rico, stemming from the name "Richard," for hardiness. He has "Shameless" as a trait, since I took it that he's more bold in taking action... Or things. His backstory was that he was arrested for theft (kleptomaniac) and he isn't fond of going back to prison, so he enjoys his time outside (Loves Outdoors). His last name is "Cabello," which apparently meant hair. Look at his hair. LOL :joy: (He'd be much more hairier if there was body hair in 4.) Because of his amazing locks, I imagined he'd be kind of vain, so I gave him Snob. (It also fits because he likes the finer things in life!)

Sometimes, I'd just give it to my brother when I'm bored and he'd make pseudo celebrity sims or something with questionable origins. I say questionable, because they're obviously things that are um... Touchy subjects in history, for one. :joy:

When it comes to houses, I usually make them to suit a family I have in game.
    This house was for a townie family I had a while back that had a set of triplets and twins.
    Ty5CgNE.png
    Then this one was for a family of three.
    Ukj5o2D.png
    This one was for two sisters.
    gseidgW.png
    And this one was for a couple I had that just had their kid age up into a child. I built this one recently :)
    BGgw7qI.png

They're all on the gallery if anyone likes them, too. :)
  • SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Nikoa wrote: »
    This can apply to any version of Sims, really. When you create a new sim or family, do you just make them at random, or do you go in CAS with a plan? Do your sims have a back story or do you just kind of go with the flow?

Just something I've been curious about for awhile, because lately I swear I'm having CAS block or something. :grimace:

I get inspiration from the stories I write :) I envision someone, writer about them and then later on I'll create them in CAS! Sometimes I do it the other way round though and create characters in CAS to make characters for my books :) CAS is perfect for this cause I can choose hair colour, eye colour, weight, etc.

So for me writing has always given me inspiration to create Sims :)

Matthew.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    I don't make Sims very often, but when I do, it really depends.

Sometimes I have a really clear idea in mind of what I want a Sim to like and what their story will (although, that last bit can change as I play). For example Sadie, who turned out exactly as I wanted her:
    1z1znrl.png
    2rqeds9.png

At other times I just randomise until I get something I can work with, tweak it a bit or a lot, give them some better clothes.
    Sometimes I go for traits first, when I sort of have a type of Sim in mind, give them the traits and aspiration and then randomise until I get a Sim that suits them.

I'm also really fond of the genetics generator - I just made brothers and cousins for Stephanie and also a sister and a brother for Adam :)
    Stephanie's brothers:
    11ake4x.jpg

I also like coming up with backstories, but that's just to make them sound more interesting, I don't always play them according to their backstory.

I just realised none of this really answers your question, does it? Sometimes, characters have existed in my mind for ages, like Stephanie and Adam or, more recently, Finn:
    30l2x5i.jpg

Aside from that, I usually just randomise and sometimes there's a Sim I like that, the moment I see them, immediately gets a background, plans for the future, etc. Like Jing-Mei:
    2a4zm8n.png
    Comes from a traditional Chinese family, recently moved to Newcrest, now lives with a roommate called Molly. She's creative, loves to cook, but none of your typical take-away food, haute cuisine is more her style - although she still needs to learn a lot about cooking.
    I can go on and write up an entire story, for me, once I get started the ideas often keep flowing.

My advice to battle your CAS block: randomise (and don't be ashamed to click that button 60 times or more - I have done that, I'm very picky I guess).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I usually make Sim versions of characters from my favorite fandoms. Right now it's Suikoden III. :) I have trouble getting attached to Sims that aren't based on an already established character from a series that I love.
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    me i like randomly making sims and then when i figure out the traits i want them to have and thats how i will figure out what i want to do with the sim i created, then there are the times where i create my simself and do stuff that i would love to do
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I get it mostly from myself. If I'm in a good.. low stress mood it just comes. I see stories in everything. I might have one in mind going in from something I saw... or I might open CAS and some trait or look makes me think of a story line. New content can spark it also, like the klepto trait.. would make me think of a story of someone that would have that trait...

On the flip side though if I'm not in a good, lower stress or depressed type of mood I can't tell stories at that time, so I play less sims and more kill-em questing or busy type games... if I play games at all.
    egTcBMc.png
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    Inspired by series ( Mainly cartoons ), Random, Silly, Sims I made in TS2 / TS3 / TS1 / MySims
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    When I first started 'gaming', it was with Sims2. I totally loved the notion of CAS. I rarely play the premades. I'm a writer and had what became a mini-series ultimately, in the works. I chose my main characters and their subsequent family to play in the game. I even went so far as to put the couple as children into their parents' home and went from there to have them marry, et al.

When I made the move to Sims3 I also played with this family, I brought this couple into my game again. I was very excited when we were going to be able to form a band. However, there was no singer allowed. I moved them out of Bridgeport and just used the ability to play instruments to have the family jam together. Then when ST came out I was ecstatic. I played the base family from the ground up, moving in the potential spouse to the household for better control and then had the new couple leave the family. When the only daughter (fourth child) got married, I moved her second older brother in with the couple so I could play him, too. (He became my singer Sim.)

I loved him so much I've recreated him in Sims4. I was very happy to discover that if you had OR (which I do) he could learn the guitar from the ground up by singing songs, which also by level three improved his singing voice. Yay! Not quite the same, but at least he can sing decently. :)

I've also gotten very heavy into my genealogy. In some branches of the family I have gotten all the way back to the 13th and 14th level of great grandparents. I have fallen in love with one family a bit closer in time to me. 18th century. I created them. He became a somebody, so I have an image of him. I also stumbled upon an image of his second son and one of his third son. His first wife died early, just after their tenth child. By looking at the images of the sons, one looks way more like his father, the other one not so much. In fact, his eyes and nose are very different. Using Sims4 CAS, I believe I now know what their mother looked like. I already had information she was small and blonde. These types of things are what provide my inspiration.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    Most of the time I have a fairly specific idea for a look that I want and then I just play around in CAS until I'm happy with the result, which may not always resemble what I originally intended.

I don't really do backstories. I let the Sims develop through the gameplay. This means that sometimes I've made a potential partner for a Sim, but they end up not being together because someone else that worked better came along.

Because I find the baby stage really boring, I often create children directly in CAS rather than having the future parents "Try for baby...".
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    My inspiration comes from different areas:
    - myself
    - other simmers
    - TV shows
    - Movies
    - Books

Sometimes I have a story for my Sims from scratch sometimes I make a prequel to a TV show and sometimes a sequel.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Since they treat the family as useless I throw Sims together without any thought.The only reason I'm still playing is my PC is to old and can't afford a console.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I never build a random Sim. I haven't done that in years. I always have a story and a plan.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Riley_brookeRiley_brooke Posts: 6 New Member
    I normally build houses, download cc and do legacies or challenges. I like making seasons, a sim for Autumn, Winter, etc with my cc and stuff. I have the most fun building houses based on ones I see in real life and decorating with cc sets I find online. It’s a lot of fun. I also enjoy using custom content for outfits and makeup for my families.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I have such a massive imagination that I come up with stories in my head. I also get inspired my past premade families and their stories. I'm currently doing a challenge called the random legacy challenge and it's pretty fun. Haven't had a chance to really play with my family lately and that's make me sad.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Nearly every single one of my families are either:

-sims I had in TS3 I recreated or
    -stereotypes

As I mostly play teens with their families, high school stereotypes are a common phenomenon in my game. There are the geeks, the jocks, the cheerleaders (who are mostly mean to everyone else), the goths/emos/rebels and the ones who don't care at all. I just love these stereotypes and they are so funny in the game. The club system from Get Together especially comes in handy with this. I just created a club with emo kids whose activities are mostly being mean to the cheerleader club.

The stereotypes also continue when my sims become young adults. For example a snob who spends his whole time criticizing art and drinking whine (nectar), or the girls who love to meet at the spa.

I also like to create sims from other medias. I for example created characters from fanfictions I've read. Or one day, I felt like creating a male counterpart of one of my female sims. He wore the exact same hairstyle and the same clothes. The only difference between these two were the body shape and that he wore sunglasses for every outfit. I think I created him for messing around with the gender patch that just came around back then.

Tl:dr: Stereotypes are the best inspiration for me.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff