The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feels too much like 2004

13...Next

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Hermai wrote: »
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    The reason I complained about this is because the Sims is about playing with life. People don't live nowadays like they did in Sims 2, and it really bothers me.

Really? What do you feel are the biggest differences?
    I'm actually curious, but I don't feel like it is that dated, but it is a ten years old game, maybe a should feel it too. What bothers you the most? :)

I don't know if it's known to the OP, but sims can buy cell phones and use them instead of landlines. There is a 'choice.'
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I've re-read this post like 10 times and still don't understand it... Lol.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it feels like 2004 because it was MADE in 2004, but a few primal things feel obsolete by today's standards in that game.

Who remembers landlines? I just can't place any in Sims 2 homes now, and I make them use cell phones.

Oh wait, smartphones exist! See the problem here?
    Yes, the game is a little outdated as far as graphics goes. But what did you expect for a game made in 2004? however as outdated it is I still love the gameplay which to me is better than Sims 4.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    I have a landline that I use for my (wait for it) fax machine. Which I have for business and laziness reasons.

Sims 2 feels very mid-2000's but that's also when I was in high school so somehow it feels right to me. The game doesn't feel old because I played it while it was current and I'm used to it being that way. Part of me still lives in the past, perhaps -- Sims 3 came out the year I graduated high school and I didn't like it so I never picked it up.

What feels most dated to me in the games (and this is true for sims 1 as well) are the fashions and decor. Which are easily updated though custom content. Some of the jokes feel dated (Sims 1 has a 'Hootie and the Blowfish' reference while sims 2 has a wallpaper which refers to Rick-Rolling) but they were current at the time, I assure you. Sims 3 has a joke about being an 'aperture scientist' which will be inexplicable to anyone who will have been too young to not have played Portal. Also the 'Gangplank Style' object for boarding the house boats.

Just enjoy it for the fossil it is. B)
  • Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Weird. My sims tvs are not black and white in S1. And I play it vanilla. Still.

The cheapest TV is black and white.

• DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited March 2016
    Leo_Gruen wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Weird. My sims tvs are not black and white in S1. And I play it vanilla. Still.

The cheapest TV is black and white.

Yup, the one that comes on a little metal stand.

latest?cb=20111106230215

It does feel a bit dated in the graphics, fashion, and décor, but what would you expect for a game made in 2004?

I still have a landline, and my cellphone is mostly for texting and checking on Neko Atsume. I personally like the option of having or not having a cellphone in The Sims 2. Until recently I almost never actually used my cellphone despite having multiple cellphones over the past ten years. Only last year did I actually get a smartphone.

In post UL TS3 and in TS4 sims are on their phones too much and it's irritating.

Edit: Despite it being a bit dated, I still love The Sims 2. In fact, all of last week and most of this week I've been playing The Sims 2. (With the exception of preparing for midterms last week and looking up information about San Francisco for a trip I'm taking there during the Summer this week)