Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Painting placement and Outdoor Retreat

I made a custom object last summer that has a slot to put sim-painted paintings on, just like an easel (_ctnm_easelPaint_). This is still working fine for me with the base game + GT, but several users have reported that they cannot put paintings in that slot; as far as I can tell all of them have Outdoor Retreat installed.

I've seen that Outdoor Retreat apparently introduced different kinds of paintings; were there any changes in OR that would affect the placement of paintings on easels? I've already looked at the OR tuning but I only see photos, no paintings or anything that would give me any clues about placement.

The object is posted here (it's three of them but they are very similar), reports are in the comments (e.g. here).
Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4

Comments

• SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hey @pbox,

I can't get those wall mounts to work in any configuration (get the "Can't intersect message") - tried Base Game alone on the current build, and went as far back as v1.8 of the game.

If you could provide a save game with it working then I can try and determine why it's not working for me, that could be the same reason it's not working for others.

Thanks,
    SGMS
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    Thank you!

I'm not exactly sure I understand how your save system works -- when I saved right now, it created four different files with the same timestamp (Slot_00000001.save, Slot_00000001.save.ver0, Slot_0000003f.save, Slot_00000001.save.ver1) -- I've zipped them all and uploaded them here.

The save should be named "pholdertest_nocc" (or something like that); it's a version I saved after removing all my CC except that painting holder. In Newcrest is a household named "Poulsen" (the only inhabited house) with the painting holders in action.

When I create a new game (with the little plus button) and test with a new sim that I move into one of the default lots, it's still working for me as well though (with no other CC than the painting holder).

I have Base Game and GT.
    Hey @pbox,

Here is what I am seeing: The wall mount only works when placed on a wall oriented in one specific direction. In the save you provided, try the mount on any other wall facing another direction and it will not work. In those cases the slotting test is failing because the orientation of the slot does not match the orientation of the object attempting to be placed in it. I expect the slot is parented incorrectly or something such that it is not picking up the rotation of the object.

Hope that gives you something to work with.

-SGMS
    edited March 2016
    Oh wow, thank you! \o/

Edit: OK, I checked now -- I'm sorry to say that it IS working for me on all walls, on the same lot and the same save that I posted earlier (with no other mods as well).

70556_160310023918wallmount4x4.jpg

The rig/rslt are also identical with that of the easel except for the exact slot position and rotation -- could it be that the game has an issue, under some circumstances, with a negative Z value (Z-up)? That's the only potentially significant difference I can see =/ (apart from that it is only tilted a little bit more than on the easel)

Also, here's a screenshot I made earlier when I tested with a new sim in a new save:

70554_160310022806easeltest.jpg

The easel is not facing the same direction as the wall mount there, but still it worked fine. I don't remember whether I moved the painting directly to the mount or to the wall first .. but so far I can't seem to manage to break it =(

E2 here's a direct comparison with that "Z" (or Y or whatever .. up-down-axis) value I meant:

0xD3044521-0x00000000-0x6563C20E3B4E6594 - RSLT (E.A.S.L. Easel):
    TransformMatrixY: 0; 0,99725; 0,074108;
    TransformMatrixZ: 0; -0,074108; 0,99725;
    SlotCoordinates: X: 0; Y: 1; Z: 0,005149;

0xD3044521-0x00000000-0xE79390F083BDEA38 - RSLT (large wall mount):
    TransformMatrixY: 0; 0,9925462; 0,1218693;
    TransformMatrixZ: 0; -0,1218693; 0,9925462;
    SlotCoordinates: X: 0; Y: -0,016; Z: 0,226;
    Post edited by pbox on
    edited March 2016
    @SimGuruModSquad I think I see an issue with the easel: when I put a painting on the easel, and then rotate the house in Build Mode, the painting disappears.

From my wall mount as well, since that is the same kind of slot .. but that is not supposed to happen, is it?

ETA: Same thing when I rotate the lot (with the second rotate/move option) instead of just the house. Since some of the users who said the wall mount doesn't work for them stated that it *used* to work fine, did something perhaps break when you introduced the lot rotate option? So that the game is now losing track of the orientation of paintings when it didn't before, or something?
    OK interesting.

Note that once the painting is slotted you can move the wall mount (along with the painting) to any wall without a problem. It's only when you attempt to place the painting in the slot will things fail. Can you confirm you have tried putting the painting in the slot on walls facing different directions?

Yes I am seeing the issue with the room rotate removing the painting from the easel, that's a bug. Rotating the object is fine, just when you rotate the entire lot or room. Not sure if that's related to what we're seeing here but it's not helping :smile:. We'll take a look at that one.

-SGMS
    Can you confirm you have tried putting the painting in the slot on walls facing different directions?

Yes, that's what I was doing. I put empty wall holders on all four walls, then grabbed a painting off the wall -- I can put it in any of the holders over here.

Where were your paintings coming from, freshly crafted? Off the wall? Out of a sim inventory perhaps? (That is the only thing I haven't tried yet)

I have never updated those objects by the way (I just checked myself since I wasn't sure any more) -- it's the same upload since 26th Jul 2015.

The package file I have is dated July 27, 2015 and is 33,674 bytes.

Here are some more precise repro steps, although I've fiddled with it a bunch of ways and it fails pretty consistently no matter how I try:
    • Start a new game
    • Move in to willow creek, lot "Bargain Bend"
    • Go in to build mode
    • Place E.A.S.L. easel
    • Place room block via room tool
    • Place Large Wall Mounted Painting Holder on all four internal walls of the room
    • Go into live mode
    • Paint large classic painting
    • Go to buy mode and pick up the painting
    • Attempt to slot it into the wall mount, it will only succeed on one of the four walls

... perhaps give that a shot.

-SGMS
    edited March 2016
    Gah, it stubbornly keeps working for me =P

Tried those exact steps, I can place it in all four directions (on all wall heights, and on diagonal walls too) ..

Yeah that one day date discrepancy is due to time zone weirdness on the mts server. When I download it the local copy also shows 27th for me.

Ooooh wait, I think I found something -- my local copy has that same creation *date* but a couple of hours off .. and in that one the transform matrix of that slot is different (and also the orientation of the bone):

TransformMatrixY: 0; 0,9925462; 0,1218693;
    TransformMatrixZ: 0; -0,1218693; 0,9925462;

I just redownloaded the file on mts and that has

TransformMatrixY: 0; 0,96; 0,12;
    TransformMatrixZ: 0; -0,12; 0,96;

Shoot, I just never paid attention to the TIME part since that's always been off by some amount >.<

Here is the one from my Mods folder -- does that solve it for you?

(I think the date on that one is now today's date, because I fiddled with that negative value again .. but that is definitely the one that I used for testing before)
    Hi @pbox,

Glad that mystery is solved, yes that version works for me!

-SGMS
    Thanks so much for your help! I would never have noticed how the direction plays a role otherwise. So I take it when a transform matrix is weird it will confuse the game in such a way that it's losing track of the rotation -- I've also checked in the meantime that the version you used at first is breaking for me in the same way that you described.
    Yes I am seeing the issue with the room rotate removing the painting from the easel, that's a bug..

Hi there! With today's patch (1.19.28) rotating a room will no longer remove paintings from rotated easels.

-SGMS