Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    JoieWilder wrote: »
    Yay, I'm so excited to have one of my stories coming up again!

I have been doing some thinking lately. I think this was brought up in the past here, but I was wondering what the opinions of everybody would be on having previously book clubbed stories return? I was thinking, perhaps we could do one month where we revisit stories that have come a long way since they were first read here. For example, my story (this is just an example; there are so many others that deserve a relook). When the Thoreau's were read here, I was only in the first 20 odd chapters of generation one. I think it would be reasonable to revisit the Thoreau's now that gen 2 is well underway or later on. You wouldn't read the whole thing, since part of the story has already been featured here; book club would resume either where the previous point left off or resume with a new generation. This would be a really great thing to do for stories that are going to be in progress for a long time, like @CitizenErased14 's Ashes to Ashes. It will be like a completely different story in another generation or two. Some stories didn't get to benefit from coffee hour, either. I think @ThePlumbob 's build Newcrest story was featured before coffee hour was around.

I think we want to do this for sure! I was just thinking this with @ThePlumbob 's Bloomer Legacy!

Our current schedule takes us up pretty much to the beginning of summer--maybe we can call it Summer ReRuns! (Though it's not really re-runs, more like continuations, but still...)

Just saw your response, CT! Summer ReRuns sounds like a great thing to call it!
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member

I have been doing some thinking lately. I think this was brought up in the past here, but I was wondering what the opinions of everybody would be on having previously book clubbed stories return? I was thinking, perhaps we could do one month where we revisit stories that have come a long way since they were first read here. For example, my story (this is just an example; there are so many others that deserve a relook). When the Thoreau's were read here, I was only in the first 20 odd chapters of generation one. I think it would be reasonable to revisit the Thoreau's now that gen 2 is well underway or later on. You wouldn't read the whole thing, since part of the story has already been featured here; book club would resume either where the previous point left off or resume with a new generation. This would be a really great thing to do for stories that are going to be in progress for a long time, like @CitizenErased14 's Ashes to Ashes. It will be like a completely different story in another generation or two. Some stories didn't get to benefit from coffee hour, either. I think @ThePlumbob 's build Newcrest story was featured before coffee hour was around.

I think we want to do this for sure! I was just thinking this with @ThePlumbob 's Bloomer Legacy!

Our current schedule takes us up pretty much to the beginning of summer--maybe we can call it Summer ReRuns! (Though it's not really re-runs, more like continuations, but still...)

Thanks for thinking of me guys <3 I must admit I was a bit sad that I missed out on all the coffee hour awesomeness.

I reckon occassional throwback themes would be cool as long as the majority of the stories that are read are still new ones - I believe I said something along the same lines when this topic was first discussed haha. Though mathemathically speaking the further we get with Book Club, the trickier that will be to keep those proportions because there will be more stories to revisit.

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

Thanks for thinking of me guys <3 I must admit I was a bit sad that I missed out on all the coffee hour awesomeness.

I reckon occassional throwback themes would be cool as long as the majority of the stories that are read are still new ones - I believe I said something along the same lines when this topic was first discussed haha. Though mathemathically speaking the further we get with Book Club, the trickier that will be to keep those proportions because there will be more stories to revisit.

WHAT? Did we not read The Bloomer Legacy already? HOW DID THAT happen? I thought for sure we had! But I just checked our reading list and don't see it there... Well, that's an oversight that we need to remedy! So, if we haven't read Bloomer yet, then I think we need to stick Bloomer in Bonus Wonderfulness, rather than in ReRuns.

What else are we overlooking that is someone's favorite that we haven't read yet?

@friendsfan367 I know we want to read yours at some point! Shall we add you to our June readings, or would you like us to wait until July or August?

Speak up with your favorite stories, folks!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

WHAT? Did we not read The Bloomer Legacy already? HOW DID THAT happen? I thought for sure we had! But I just checked our reading list and don't see it there... Well, that's an oversight that we need to remedy! So, if we haven't read Bloomer yet, then I think we need to stick Bloomer in Bonus Wonderfulness, rather than in ReRuns.

What else are we overlooking that is someone's favorite that we haven't read yet?

@friendsfan367 I know we want to read yours at some point! Shall we add you to our June readings, or would you like us to wait until July or August?

@CathyTea The Bloomer Legacy was in the second week of Book Club -- but it was before "Coffee Hour" was a thing. So there was no structured Q&A to go along with it. I think that's what's being referred to when they say that ThePlumbob missed out on the Coffee Hour fun :) (And I agree that it would be great to look at her story again and let her be part of that discussion this time! :blush:)
    snvAF3B.png

@CathyTea The Bloomer Legacy was in the second week of Book Club -- but it was before "Coffee Hour" was a thing. So there was no structured Q&A to go along with it. I think that's what's being referred to when they say that ThePlumbob missed out on the Coffee Hour fun :) (And I agree that it would be great to look at her story again and let her be part of that discussion this time! :blush:)

Oh, whew! I could've sworn we read it for Book Club. Now I gotcha. Thanks...

Well, @ThePlumbob - it's your choice: would you like to be in Special Bonus Wonderfulness (which will be at the beginning of summer) or in Summer Reruns?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Oh don't worry, we have read it, but it was at the very beginning of Book Club when Coffee Hour wasn't a thing yet, so there was no discussion about it. It's not a huge deal though! :)
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited March 2016
    @CathyTea Oh thank you! Yes, mine will be moved by then and I should have new chapters posted by then also. I'm working to have everything moved over and revised (I cannot stop myself from rereading and revising things constantly lol) from the Sims 3 stories I'm continuing by the end of March.

Yes, it's nice to have people just enjoy what you've written too. Thanks for considering Wild Hearts. It's probably been my favorite to write of my Sims 3 stories because it's fun to take familiar themes in a modern setting with vampires. Gen 1 was inspired by the play Pygmalian by George Bernard Shaw and Gen 2 is inspired by Romeo and Juliet. I'm a bit of a classical lover/nerd and it's fun to explore that love by using these stories to inspire some Simlit. If that makes sense. lol
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    @CathyTea Oh thank you! Yes, mine will be moved by then and I should have new chapters posted by then also. I'm working to have everything moved over and revised (I cannot stop myself from rereading and revising things constantly lol) from the Sims 3 stories I'm continuing by the end of March.

Yes, it's nice to have people just enjoy what you've written too. Thanks for considering Wild Hearts. It's probably been my favorite to write of my Sims 3 stories because it's fun to take familiar themes in a modern setting with vampires. Gen 1 was inspired by the play Pygmalian by George Bernard Shaw and Gen 2 is inspired by Romeo and Juliet. I'm a bit of a classical lover/nerd and it's fun to explore that love by using these stories to inspire some Simlit. If that makes sense. lol

Cool! I'm looking forward to this!

I've got you scheduled for the week of April 18--and now I think that "The March of the Undead" is full! We can always circle back to undead stuff (wait--is that reincarnation?) in the fall...

I know we want to read yours at some point! Shall we add you to our June readings, or would you like us to wait until July or August?

Well, @ThePlumbob - it's your choice: would you like to be in Special Bonus Wonderfulness (which will be at the beginning of summer) or in Summer Reruns?

I think it would make most sense to include it with the summer reruns :)

Regarding favourites that might have been missed, just looked over the past reading list, and am I blind or have we never read the Pruetts? :o Surely we must have?

I know we want to read yours at some point! Shall we add you to our June readings, or would you like us to wait until July or August?

Regarding favourites that might have been missed, just looked over the past reading list, and am I blind or have we never read the Pruetts? :o Surely we must have?

We read F.I.S.H. I have a feeling that we didn't read Pruetts because of... chapters! LOL! I was thinking about it this morning... some of the generations have 100 chapters each! Or more! We did talk about it in "It's Done," with a Q & A for the writer.

Maybe we can look at it during reruns! I think that many Book Clubbers have read it all--and this will give us a chance to revisit it and reminisce!

We read F.I.S.H. I have a feeling that we didn't read Pruetts because of... chapters! LOL! I was thinking about it this morning... some of the generations have 100 chapters each! Or more! We did talk about it in "It's Done," with a Q & A for the writer.

I know, I'm still not done reading! :D I'm slowly making my way through generation 8.

I know, I'm still not done reading! :D I'm slowly making my way through generation 8.

That's a long one! I think it was my favorite, too!

• RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    Sorry, my internet has been spotty the past few days, so I haven't been around much. But thanks to everyone who's been binge reading my story! :) I'm so excited to begin the discussion! (And I wish I could read as fast as some of you, man. @InfraGreen You read it all in 30 minutes? Teach me your ways.)

Regarding the idea of revisiting stories... Well, the problem to me is, what's the criteria that needs to be met for a story to be featured a second time? Because I'm afraid this could create the possibility for certain writers to feel like, "Why was their story re-featured and not mine?"
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @Rinellie: Just an estimate, but it was some short amount of time. I had a 2.5 hour shift this morning, and I can't say that reading through your legacy took up a majority of it. My grade school teachers always noticed how fast of a reader I can be...for better or for worse (I tend to miss a lot of details).

Whether my missed details make for some bad discussion on my end, we'll see on Friday. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Rinellie wrote: »
    Sorry, my internet has been spotty the past few days, so I haven't been around much. But thanks to everyone who's been binge reading my story! :) I'm so excited to begin the discussion! (And I wish I could read as fast as some of you, man. @InfraGreen You read it all in 30 minutes? Teach me your ways.)

Regarding the idea of revisiting stories... Well, the problem to me is, what's the criteria that needs to be met for a story to be featured a second time? Because I'm afraid this could create the possibility for certain writers to feel like, "Why was their story re-featured and not mine?"

I would say it would need to be a certain amount of time since your story has been featured and you need to have made considerable progress on the story that was featured. For example, maybe it has to have been at least six months since your story was featured and you have to have posted at least 20 chapters since then? For a legacy, maybe one or two generations could have gone by since the last time the story was featured. This is just me spit-balling, of course, so everyone else should have their input too. :)

I would say it would need to be a certain amount of time since your story has been featured and you need to have made considerable progress on the story that was featured. For example, maybe it has to have been at least six months since your story was featured and you have to have posted at least 20 chapters since then? For a legacy, maybe one or two generations could have gone by since the last time the story was featured. This is just me spit-balling, of course, so everyone else should have their input too. :)

I want to create the type of community where people feel that if they want their story featured or re-featured they can raise their hand and say, "Me, too!"

Since I like to create a sort of flow of experience for readers, I'm kind of matching up stories in series, putting together what I think will be an interesting experience as readers move through the stories.

But that doesn't mean that we can't have interruptions and side-tracks and divergence and repetition!

So! Here's an open invitation: Anybody who feels sort of sad or left-out or stepped over that their story hasn't yet been read, and anybody who feels excited and thrilled at the thought that their work might be read, and anybody who just wants to be part of this, let's open our doors! In fact, let's tear down the walls! It's a big meadow in springtime, not a closed room!

***ok. I just came inside from a walk under the most amazing sky and the mountains are really singing loudly right now... I'm gonna reel it in and try again...***

Re-try: Here's an open invitation for everyone who wants to be included to be included, now and in the future! If you'd like your work to be nominated, and readers haven't yet nominated it, feel free to nominate your own work! We'll find a way to fit it in! And if you prefer, please feel welcome to PM me or one of the other active members of Book Club, and we'll be sure that your work is included! :)

We've got a million and one wonderful works to read, and time is elastic, so we'll read and cherish it all!

• VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    ::shyly raises hand:: Can we have two book club threads? One for New and One for Revisits? Or two stories a week; one for New and one for revisits?
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    ::shyly raises hand:: Can we have two book club threads? One for New and One for Revisits? Or two stories a week; one for New and one for revisits?

That's an interesting idea! Let's see what everyone thinks! If we did have a second one for Revisits, I'd need somebody else to coordinate it--if I took it on, I'd be spread too thin!

VIRTUALEE wrote: »

That's an interesting idea! Let's see what everyone thinks! If we did have a second one for Revisits, I'd need somebody else to coordinate it--if I took it on, I'd be spread too thin!

I can see the appeal of having a second thread (and if we did have one, I think I might be interested in coordinating it, I was the one who brought it up, after all), but I worry that the readers would be spread a little thin. How would you do it? Book Club has one story per week. Would the revisit thread feature one story a week? That would leave readers trying to read two stories if they wanted to participate in both. Would the revisit thread maybe feature one story every two weeks? I just kind of worry that people would stick with one thread over the other and one side would suffer a lack of participation.
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @CathyTea I think you're suggestion about having a few months set aside for revisiting old stories and have the club vote on which stories they want to revisit and discuss the updates on. Maybe do this 2x a year? So 10 months would be new stories and 2 months spent on revisiting stories discussed before.

This is exactly what I meant by saying the proportions are going to be tricky. Looking at the reading list, more than half the stories would qualify for a rerun. If we only allocate a month to revisiting them, there's no way we can feature them all. If we devote more time to them, we will miss out on new stories which is the whole purpose of Book Club... I feel like somebody's always going to end up dissappointed :(

Re the 2 threads idea - I bet the second thread would only be frequented by people whose stories are being re-featured :D
    @Julyvee94 @ra3rei @InfraGreen @eXokamikaze @CitizenErased14 Would you like to weigh in on our conversation about how we want to handle re-visits (I'm calling them reruns)? Take a look at the previous six or so messages to see what we're looking at...

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited March 2016
    @CathyTea: If we do them, it should be only when a story has gained a significant amount of material since its time here, and only for a few weeks a year. Discovering new (or old and hidden!) things is the main draw of this place.

EDIT: But in a contradictory way, I'd like it contained in this thread.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    (I'm leaning towards "Summer ReRuns"--catching up on those we read a few months to a year before... keeping it in this thread, so we don't get spread out and, as readers, don't have to keep up with having two reading lists [or more--some of us are independently working on #ProjectIndex with the various indices...] )

Let's see how others weigh in! :)