Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Found out how to convert old saves made from Original Sims 2

GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
edited March 2016 in The Sims 2
I was so happy when I figured out how to use old saves because some of those saves was special to me and I did feel like loading the old Sims 2. You just cannot use old saves with the folder name "Sims 2" Sims 2 UC will just make a new folder what I did was kept the folder name created under Sims 2 UC and deleted the files within the folder and put in the old files from my old saves and it worked. Sims 2 UC will update the old files into new files if certain saves was missing any EPs or SPs. Somebody probably figured this out already but I am happy that I can play my old saves. :)
Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

Comments

• ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I wish I still had my old saves. But it's been an age since I last played Sims 2 and those saves are long gone due to me not backing them up on any kind of external drive. You're lucky you still have yours, it would be so fun to revisit my original Sims... I still haven't forgotten many of them.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited March 2016
    Heh. I've been using the same save forever. I named it N777. As long as you change all the internal files to start with the same letter and numbers, it will work. I'm a total die-hard for this method.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I wish I still had my old saves. But it's been an age since I last played Sims 2 and those saves are long gone due to me not backing them up on any kind of external drive. You're lucky you still have yours, it would be so fun to revisit my original Sims... I still haven't forgotten many of them.
    The only problem I had was not renaming the saves so I had to go through all my saves to find the one I wanted to restore and believe me after awhile it can become a pain. I did not really want to start with a new family. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Heh. I've been using the same save forever. I named it N777. As long as you change all the internal files to start with the same letter and numbers, it will work. I'm a total die-hard for this method.
    I am just glad I saved my saves even though I did not use a method like yours. :)
    edited March 2016
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I am just glad I saved my saves even though I did not use a method like yours. :)

Guess I should have mentioned I was happy for you. I can be a bit dismissive at times without meaning to be. No harm intended. :#

EDIT: I realized I sounded a bit snarky in this post. That was not my intention. I really meant to say I am happy for you.

* tries not to put foot in mouth any farther*
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've also been able to restore my old Sims 2 folder by copying the files into the new Sims 2 folder after I cleared the other files out.I moved the Mods into the old folder and it ran great.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Guess I should have mentioned I was happy for you. I can be a bit dismissive at times without meaning to be. No harm intended. :#

EDIT: I realized I sounded a bit snarky in this post. That was not my intention. I really meant to say I am happy for you.

* tries not to put foot in mouth any farther*
    I did not pick that up and it was okay. :)

• Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member

I've heard of this method but was afraid it was to much trouble, now when I restore my saves I have N001, N002, N003 and wish I would have renamed them to make it easier.
    angrycat.gif
    edited March 2016
    Not much trouble at all. Just create a text file and pop it in each folder you have to rename the files in.

Add one line: ren N001* N777*
    Change the file extension from .txt to .bat and double-click the file to execute. It will rename all your files for you.

That is assuming your are changing N001 to N777. You can of course do this with any neighbourhood folder. Just making sure the names match up. use any numbers and letters you'd prefer.
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
    edited March 2016
    Awesome @kremesch73 I never knew you could do that! I wanna test it out now hehe...

So as long as the naming is one letter and three numbers it's fine?

EDIT: I tried it and put it in the main N001 folder and it just renamed the items in that folder not the characters folder or lots folder...So I just have to run it for each subfolder too?
    EDIT 2: I just read where you said "each folder" hehe Thank you!
    angrycat.gif
    You're welcome. Hope you put the asterisk after each one like in the example. I love batch files :)
    You're welcome. Hope you put the asterisk after each one like in the example. I love batch files :)

Yes I did. Works perfectly. I've experienced batch files before but wasn't aware how useful they were hehe. Thanks again!
    angrycat.gif