Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

King_of_simcity7 plays The Sims 4. All videos now up!

Comments

• SimeggrollsSimeggrolls Posts: 637 Member
    edited March 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I can tell you right now, you will not like it. I think you prefer TS3 over TS2..so if that is true, you will not have much good to say about TS4. TS2 players who were not really in love with TS3 but liked it o.k. don't mind many things in TS4 due to some things are slightly improved from TS2 to TS4 and others are not. So, I think TS2 players actually gave TS4 more chances to prove itself than a TS3 player would. Due to closed world and rotation play and all that. However, TS3 players are going to be very disappointed at the sight of the tiny worlds and a loading screen right next door. TS2 players sometimes don't mind this as much. So, I expect you to give somewhat a mild review about CAS pull and tug features (which are still too limited for me) and some scathing reviews about personality but I hope you get enough time to see everything and how things work and why it's got some pros and some major cons. :#

Don't worry, I won't feel any disappointment as I am only planning on playing the trial so tiny worlds I can shrug off as I have much better in TS3 anyway. I am just curious to see why all the hype is about, I have heard every single bit of criticism to date as well as a fair amount of praise but I cannot go on being a 'hater' any more while I have shut myself off from it. I won't be spending any money so I do not need to worry about any loss.

I also want to see how 'busy' the worlds are compared to TS3. There was a subject to a lot of debate originally so I need to see that for myself. In TS3 you do see a lot of Sims around, I need to know if that works for TS4 as well.

I hope you get the time to put a Sim in every neighborhood if you can so you can experience whether you think the worlds are 'busy' or not. I would say no they aren't, especially in the newer worlds like Windenburg and the add on free Newcrest (even when full of Sims in houses). But I doubt you will get that much mileage on the trial. Good luck. You may like some of the multitasking and then again you may see why some of us say most of it just gets in the player's way. And you may like seeing Sims out in the picnic areas (but this is only true in Willow Creek for the most part) however, you will miss seeing neighbors going in and out of their houses next doors. So, it's a lot of tit for tat and with good reason. :)

Is it not possible to view the neighbourhood while your Sims are at home and see random Sims around? Or do Sim only come out when you visit a community lot like in TS1 and 2?

You can scroll around and see whoever is out in that particular hood your Sim in living in, yes. However, Willow Creeks seems to be the only one that has more Sims in the picnic areas, or on the sidewalks (depending on which little district your Sim lives). Like I bulldozed the Gym in WC and put a house there and had Sims live there. So, there were always Sims in the picnic areas behind those buildings and at 8:30 A.M. I would see Sims enter the invisible portal to walk down the street toward my Sims' house. However, if you live in the desert in OS you may not see that many Sims at all (maybe one lone Sim fishing somewhere) and they never use the little picnic area in Oasis Springs on their own it seems. Later patches (which will be in your trial version) somehow reduced how many Sims are out and about and what many of us have been fussing about lately. Like where are the Twenty Sims that are supposed to be near wherever your Sim is at any moment.

Hmmm

Why are the reducing the number of Sims around town? Wasn't these 'busy' community lots full of lively Sims supposed to be one of the selling points as seen in the Live Broadcast?

There's a maximum of 20 Sims in a neighbourhood at the time. How many Sims that feels like varies by neighbourhood size. The game also has neighbourhoods busy at times of day that make sense for what's in that neighbourhood, and some kinds of neighbourhoods are busier overall than others. A park can feel very busy on a Saturday afternoon, as can a bar or nighclub on a Saturday evening. An expensive residential neighbourhood with two or three houses spread out will always be quieter than a six-smaller/cheaper-lot residential neighbourhood. An expansive neighbourhoodwill feel less busy than a smaller neighbourhood of the same economic level.

The only liveliness issue I've seen consistently mentioned (meaning everyone experiences it, not just some players) is that the two Windenburg (Get Together EP) neighbourhoods that ought to feel busy - the Old Town and the modern district - are too big to end up feeling that way. I'm hoping that future world design recognizes that this was an issue and keeps that sort of neighbourhood public space more compact.

FYI, the MC Command Center mod currently lets you double the max number of Sims to 40, and egwarhammer says that the next version will let you make it 200 (which is nuts but possibly amusing).

I have had less Sims anywhere after they patched the game to give non played Sims jobs. After that (can't remember which month) my game was more like a ghost town in all areas. This patch drastically changed my game even when starting a new game. Or new pc.

So, mark them played and make them unemployed if you don't want them unavailable during work hours? To me, it makes sense that there are fewer Sims wandering around 9-5 (9-3 for kids) and more when they wouldn't be at work.

Sorry for going off topic OP but I just have to say this.

Just why is it in TS4 there are so many things you have to do to get wanted results or play the game as it should be? I don't remember having to do even a quarter of this for 2 or 3. If you want Sims to do X mark as played....if you want Sims to do Z mark as unplayed. Use this mod to stop culling. Use this mod to stop musical chairs. Do X to get Y to happen. It just seems this version has far more do this or that just to play the game.

*shrug*

I had to use mods to make lots of customizations in previous games too. Bit of "whatever" there as far as I'm concerned. The main reason I was on forums for Sims 3, for example, was to find out what to do to customize the game for the results I wanted. I saw a lot of that conversation. Maybe you just like the defaults in the versions you play and haven't felt a need to customize? It's not an as it "should" be anyway - it's an "as I want it to be". Pretty sure we've seen enough conflicting demands here to realize that there's no such thing as an as-it-should-be that we'd all agree on, and there's a reasonable limit to how many different customization options can be supported without development costs (and therefore game costs) becoming ridiculous. Sims 4 has a pretty robust, well-supported open door to modding, and that's a good thing: it hits a balance between enabling customization and keeping the game itself within vague affordability and relatively sturdy.

We aren't talking about the same thing. You're talking about customization and I'm talking about just playing the game as it was meant (or supposed) to be.

I don't believe that this thing you're talking about exists. There is no "as it was meant (or supposed) to be" that is something other than what we have. If what we have isn't what you expect or want, that's an unmet expectation or desire, not the game failing to be something it's "supposed" to be.

I can't explain it in any other way so I guess you aren't going to believe me. Just remember...I see what I see in my game on my computer. You see what you see on your computer in your game. Just because you don't see what I'm talking about doesn't mean it doesn't exist.....and I'm playing with NO mods.

If the modding community didn't exist for TS4 they would be playing the same broken game as everyone else that runs into glitches.People just have rose colored glasses on lol.Modders make the game playable they should be getting paid doing game developers work.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited March 2016
    I can tell you right now, you will not like it. I think you prefer TS3 over TS2..so if that is true, you will not have much good to say about TS4. TS2 players who were not really in love with TS3 but liked it o.k. don't mind many things in TS4 due to some things are slightly improved from TS2 to TS4 and others are not. So, I think TS2 players actually gave TS4 more chances to prove itself than a TS3 player would. Due to closed world and rotation play and all that. However, TS3 players are going to be very disappointed at the sight of the tiny worlds and a loading screen right next door. TS2 players sometimes don't mind this as much. So, I expect you to give somewhat a mild review about CAS pull and tug features (which are still too limited for me) and some scathing reviews about personality but I hope you get enough time to see everything and how things work and why it's got some pros and some major cons. :#

Don't worry, I won't feel any disappointment as I am only planning on playing the trial so tiny worlds I can shrug off as I have much better in TS3 anyway. I am just curious to see why all the hype is about, I have heard every single bit of criticism to date as well as a fair amount of praise but I cannot go on being a 'hater' any more while I have shut myself off from it. I won't be spending any money so I do not need to worry about any loss.

I also want to see how 'busy' the worlds are compared to TS3. There was a subject to a lot of debate originally so I need to see that for myself. In TS3 you do see a lot of Sims around, I need to know if that works for TS4 as well.

I hope you get the time to put a Sim in every neighborhood if you can so you can experience whether you think the worlds are 'busy' or not. I would say no they aren't, especially in the newer worlds like Windenburg and the add on free Newcrest (even when full of Sims in houses). But I doubt you will get that much mileage on the trial. Good luck. You may like some of the multitasking and then again you may see why some of us say most of it just gets in the player's way. And you may like seeing Sims out in the picnic areas (but this is only true in Willow Creek for the most part) however, you will miss seeing neighbors going in and out of their houses next doors. So, it's a lot of tit for tat and with good reason. :)

Is it not possible to view the neighbourhood while your Sims are at home and see random Sims around? Or do Sim only come out when you visit a community lot like in TS1 and 2?

You can scroll around and see whoever is out in that particular hood your Sim in living in, yes. However, Willow Creeks seems to be the only one that has more Sims in the picnic areas, or on the sidewalks (depending on which little district your Sim lives). Like I bulldozed the Gym in WC and put a house there and had Sims live there. So, there were always Sims in the picnic areas behind those buildings and at 8:30 A.M. I would see Sims enter the invisible portal to walk down the street toward my Sims' house. However, if you live in the desert in OS you may not see that many Sims at all (maybe one lone Sim fishing somewhere) and they never use the little picnic area in Oasis Springs on their own it seems. Later patches (which will be in your trial version) somehow reduced how many Sims are out and about and what many of us have been fussing about lately. Like where are the Twenty Sims that are supposed to be near wherever your Sim is at any moment.

Hmmm

Why are the reducing the number of Sims around town? Wasn't these 'busy' community lots full of lively Sims supposed to be one of the selling points as seen in the Live Broadcast?

There's a maximum of 20 Sims in a neighbourhood at the time. How many Sims that feels like varies by neighbourhood size. The game also has neighbourhoods busy at times of day that make sense for what's in that neighbourhood, and some kinds of neighbourhoods are busier overall than others. A park can feel very busy on a Saturday afternoon, as can a bar or nighclub on a Saturday evening. An expensive residential neighbourhood with two or three houses spread out will always be quieter than a six-smaller/cheaper-lot residential neighbourhood. An expansive neighbourhoodwill feel less busy than a smaller neighbourhood of the same economic level.

The only liveliness issue I've seen consistently mentioned (meaning everyone experiences it, not just some players) is that the two Windenburg (Get Together EP) neighbourhoods that ought to feel busy - the Old Town and the modern district - are too big to end up feeling that way. I'm hoping that future world design recognizes that this was an issue and keeps that sort of neighbourhood public space more compact.

FYI, the MC Command Center mod currently lets you double the max number of Sims to 40, and egwarhammer says that the next version will let you make it 200 (which is nuts but possibly amusing).

I have had less Sims anywhere after they patched the game to give non played Sims jobs. After that (can't remember which month) my game was more like a ghost town in all areas. This patch drastically changed my game even when starting a new game. Or new pc.

So, mark them played and make them unemployed if you don't want them unavailable during work hours? To me, it makes sense that there are fewer Sims wandering around 9-5 (9-3 for kids) and more when they wouldn't be at work.

Just why is it in TS4 there are so many things you have to do to get wanted results or play the game as it should be? I don't remember having to do even a quarter of this for 2 or 3. If you want Sims to do X mark as played....if you want Sims to do Z mark as unplayed. Use this mod to stop culling. Use this mod to stop musical chairs. Do X to get Y to happen. It just seems this version has far more do this or that just to play the game.

*shrug*

I had to use mods to make lots of customizations in previous games too. Bit of "whatever" there as far as I'm concerned. The main reason I was on forums for Sims 3, for example, was to find out what to do to customize the game for the results I wanted. I saw a lot of that conversation. Maybe you just like the defaults in the versions you play and haven't felt a need to customize? It's not an as it "should" be anyway - it's an "as I want it to be". Pretty sure we've seen enough conflicting demands here to realize that there's no such thing as an as-it-should-be that we'd all agree on, and there's a reasonable limit to how many different customization options can be supported without development costs (and therefore game costs) becoming ridiculous. Sims 4 has a pretty robust, well-supported open door to modding, and that's a good thing: it hits a balance between enabling customization and keeping the game itself within vague affordability and relatively sturdy.

We aren't talking about the same thing. You're talking about customization and I'm talking about just playing the game as it was meant (or supposed) to be.

I don't believe that this thing you're talking about exists. There is no "as it was meant (or supposed) to be" that is something other than what we have. If what we have isn't what you expect or want, that's an unmet expectation or desire, not the game failing to be something it's "supposed" to be.

I can't explain it in any other way so I guess you aren't going to believe me. Just remember...I see what I see in my game on my computer. You see what you see on your computer in your game. Just because you don't see what I'm talking about doesn't mean it doesn't exist.....and I'm playing with NO mods.

If the modding community didn't exist for TS4 they would be playing the same broken game as you.People just have rose colored glasses on lol.Modders make the game playable they should be getting paid doing game developers work.

I zagadoo. I played vanilla for one year and I'm just now trying a mod to remove decor buffs. On the glasses thing: of course your attitude towards the game affects how you perceive it. But FYI "rose" isn't the only glass colour available for those who are enjoying it.

Hmmm

*shrug*

If the modding community didn't exist for TS4 they would be playing the same broken game as you.People just have rose colored glasses on lol.Modders make the game playable they should be getting paid doing game developers work.

I zagadoo. I played vanilla for one year and I'm just now trying a mod to remove decor buffs. On the glasses thing: of course your attitude towards the game affects how you perceive it. But FYI "rose" isn't the only glass colour available for those who are enjoying it.

I also zag the doo. If you add a mod to remove what was released in the game then that's not really enjoying content now is it.My attitude is justified I had that broken game and making excuses to mod the game is rose colored.I see the same people who love the game complain about bugs and glitches but some won't admit that they need mods to enjoy it let alone play it.Praises go to modders for making simmers complaints playable.BTW I could care less who's really enjoying it I gave that game up long ago.Can't deny that it needs fixing though from non modders.

Hmmm

*shrug*

Oh and not to sound hostile im not really saying you were making the excuses.Third party things should just not fix game breaking problems.Enjoy TS4

Hmmm

*shrug*

I also zag the doo. If you add a mod to remove what was released in the game then that's not really enjoying content now is it.My attitude is justified I had that broken game and making excuses to mod the game is rose colored.I see the same people who love the game complain about bugs and glitches but some won't admit that they need mods to enjoy it let alone play it.Praises go to modders for making simmers complaints playable.BTW I could care less who's really enjoying it I gave that game up long ago.Can't deny that it needs fixing though from non modders.

I just don't know where these people are who need mods to enjoy the game, but deny it. I see some enjoy the game while others don't, but I doubt mods alone change anyone's opinion on it. The game definitely has issues, but culling for example is manageable without mods if you choose so. Mods can help, but the game is playable and enjoyable even without.

Hmmm

*shrug*

I just don't know where these people are who need mods to enjoy the game, but deny it. I see some enjoy the game while others don't, but I doubt mods alone change anyone's opinion on it. The game definitely has issues, but culling for example is manageable without mods if you choose so. Mods can help, but the game is playable and enjoyable even without.

Maybe but it must be frustrating to have sims deleted that you enjoy and glitchy gameplay.I can't get into any game that needs mods im a vanilla player myself.But the cons still outweigh the pros in the sims 4.

Hmmm

*shrug*

Maybe but it must be frustrating to have sims deleted that you enjoy and glitchy gameplay.I can't get into any game that needs mods im a vanilla player myself.But the cons still outweigh the pros in the sims 4.

The first culling was a shock, I didn't know what happened and why. Now I've been deleting game generated townies manually since last spring and that's also the last time culling happened in my game (no mods). I play around 20 households rotationally, aging on for active household only. I get this may not work for all playstyles, I don't want to be disrespectful towards your experience.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    @ebuchala I think that was probably the best post I've seen yet to describe my feelings about TS4, so thanks !

And to add my opinion on whether the base game is enough : I'd say yes. It occupied me a lot longer than TS3 base game, simply because a lot of stuff is already in there if you like to explore details. Maybe that's just me but in my opinion the game feels much more alive , from the worlds down to the little interactions and reactions. And this is especially added upon in the game packs and Get Together. I can't really say that for GTW though.

Sure thing. :) I, personally, also find the game more alive and more immersive. I played the heck out of TS3 but tended to always play at speed 2 and zoomed out a bit so I could keep track of everything going on. I play TS4 zoomed in quite a bit more so I can see the animations better and pretty much always on speed 1 unless my sims are doing something repetitive/boring (i.e., sleeping).
    I in fact think that may have been the problem people had with 3, my daughter always played at speed 2 or 3 too and then it's just looking at little characters running around. And because they're not overreacting that much, it may feel like they're boring. I only use 3 at night, the rest is always on speed 1 and a lot of pausing to be able to take screenshots (because there are amazing details in the game, you'll just miss them at speed 2). I played Sims 4 the same way: speed 1, pausing to take screens. For me there's no difference between the games in that respect. In fact I see more variety in facial expressions in 3. But again, that goes unnoticed at speed 2.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member

Hmmm

*shrug*

Well that's a simplistic way of looking at it, indeed! Using mods to enhance the game is not a crime, and you can still legitimately enjoy the game even if you use mods. The use of mods in relation to enjoying the game is not black and white. There are mods for many different purposes and most mods don't actually remove anything, rather they give more options.
    I don't believe most people use mods to "repair a broken game", but rather to add things to their play style. I find it quite contradicting to say people want to get away from glitches and bugs, and therefore use mods... only to have to dig through broken mods causing bugs and glitches in game, on a monthly basis on patch day.
    The game itself is really not as glitchy or buggy or broken as some claim, and definitely not that glitchy or buggy or broken to make it worthwhile sorting mods out every patch day. You have to really enjoy a game to want to spend all that effort keeping it playable for you if that's what it takes for your play style.

In all honesty, I really don't understand your reasoning... Mods are used by people who enjoy the game, not by those who dont... those who don't, generally don't play at all.

Hmmm

*shrug*

The first culling was a shock, I didn't know what happened and why. Now I've been deleting game generated townies manually since last spring and that's also the last time culling happened in my game (no mods). I play around 20 households rotationally, aging on for active household only. I get this may not work for all playstyles, I don't want to be disrespectful towards your experience.

My experience is fine I just don't like this version of the sims but that's fine lol it's not the first sims game I didn't like.My problem is broken sims games.Sims 3 and 4 are glitchy and needs fixing so customers can enjoy it correctly.Why should the other half of the sims community have to fix the game it's not the receivers job to make it run smoothly.
    Slawfish wrote: »

Hmmm

*shrug*

Well that's a simplistic way of looking at it, indeed! Using mods to enhance the game is not a crime, and you can still legitimately enjoy the game even if you use mods. The use of mods in relation to enjoying the game is not black and white. There are mods for many different purposes and most mods don't actually remove anything, rather they give more options.
    I don't believe most people use mods to "repair a broken game", but rather to add things to their play style. I find it quite contradicting to say people want to get away from glitches and bugs, and therefore use mods... only to have to dig through broken mods causing bugs and glitches in game, on a monthly basis on patch day.
    The game itself is really not as glitchy or buggy or broken as some claim, and definitely not that glitchy or buggy or broken to make it worthwhile sorting mods out every patch day. You have to really enjoy a game to want to spend all that effort keeping it playable for you if that's what it takes for your play style.

In all honesty, I really don't understand your reasoning... Mods are used by people who enjoy the game, not by those who dont... those who don't, generally don't play at all.

Mods can be fun it's not my taste to have them in my game because maxis actually released a fine game I love to play.They left ts3 glitched out relying on customers to fix it.In the sims 4 everyday on discussions if im lurking I see sims 4 players complaining about something that went wrong that day.Other players reactions ? "I try to look past it or here's a link add it to the bug list". What are us customers paying for ?? Sims or Bugs that need mods :/ and many breaking issues are still there and irl I can say thats a fact my SIL has the sims 4.She ran into culling,incest,bipolar emotions, emotions not working,and a list of other glitches.Guess what I had to tell her "You have to go on the forums to see what mods they use to play".Special mods enhance gameplay but certain mods are needed to play this game.It does not work correctly.If people took all of their mods out they would probably be complaining right along with the other players.
    edited March 2016

Hmmm

*shrug*

My play style is whatever the sandbox game allows me because it caters to everyone.If you really like a game that much and it has absolutely no problems you wouldn't need mods to help it run period.To add third party fun ? Yes but to fix original gameplay ? No.Release a game that works and everything will be peaceful.No one should have to surf through the internet to find mods just to let them be able to play a product.That's like buying a brand new flat screen tv that promises top notch quality HD but you have to go to a neighbors house just to get a homemade foil antenna so they can see half the screen.Oh and they would tell the other customers what are you complaining for we have surround sound, touch screen,wifi connection and sort of hd quality it's okay I can't see half the screen I'll just put this on it to help.
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    @zeldagirl180 Did you read my other post. I had little to no problems with TS3. These are the problems you had.

Are you forgetting sims 3 already? - Nope I still play it now.

Set to one moon cycle to avoid zombies - I loved the zombies and kept my lunar cycle set to full moon.

Build gate or use mod for no paparazi - I used the paparazzi for various nefarious purposes so I was usually glad to see them.

Mod for no curfew - Curfews made no difference to me. In fact I used to think it was pretty funny when my kids got caught.

Mod to enhance story progression - I never used a mod for story progression.

Mod to make isla paradiso playable. I did the fixes of the houses with issues and didn't have other problems. Then again I didn't play with IP that long because I prefered other worlds.

Mod to prevent mermaids from dying in any world without an ocean - I didn't play many mermaids. I thought they were a little lame so I never took them to other worlds.

Mod to reset routing issues - I never had a lot of routing issues. Maybe we played different worlds?

Actually why don't i just skip about 12 mods and just insert ALL Nraas mods. _ I used nrass mods after all the game patches were done and the ones I used were to enhance game play, not to fix game play.

They were literallt NEEDED to play. - Maybe for you but as you can see not for me.

You, as others have, are talking about your experience with TS3. It's not the same one I had.

I'm glad you got to experience a flawless sims 3. Please understand though you are in the minority though. The devs have stated numerous times the lack of open world in sims 4 isn't due to time constraints it's due to complaints.

My high end gaming computer can't even handle it without hiccups and its a 2009 game..

I don't get how you have full moon only, I'm one of the biggest supernatural fans like you and I HATED zombies in sims 3.

Also regarding your post about game breaking bugs, most of them have been patched a long time ago but you still keep talking about them as if they're happening alot.

Musical chairs was fixed and happens far less.

Culling was improved alot and you won't notice it till until ALOT of gameplay is put in, and 64 bit helps alot. For example I know you hate ghosts being culled. I'm on my 4th gen in a very old save where the dead grandfather has been dead and at a house on a different lot for the longrs time. Meaning he hasn't been interacted with yet he still hasn't been culled.

So you're saying things were fixed, but still happen..just less?????? Lol

Sooooo it's not fixed lol...

We're on our way to a flawless ts4 folks.

Only reason I say less is because of the reason musical chairs were designed. Sims in this game have a preference to sit by sims they're close to or chatting to. This caused em to go haywhire and move seats constantly. Occasionally you'll still see sims change their seats but it's not musical chairs.

I can honestly say I have not seen musical chairs since the december patch happen once. There was a previous patch that addressed it but all it did for me was reduce how much it happened. The december patch seemed to eliminate it though.

As for culling it will never be completely "fixed" Culling has existed in every sims game (can't speak for sims 1 but I'd assume that too) however it wasn't noticeable till you had alot of sims. They've done alot of improvements for culling but it's never gonna be removed without mods. I can see the cap being 1k sims by the end of sims 4 life cycle.
    @zeldagirl180 Did you read my other post. I had little to no problems with TS3. These are the problems you had.

Are you forgetting sims 3 already? - Nope I still play it now.

Set to one moon cycle to avoid zombies - I loved the zombies and kept my lunar cycle set to full moon.

Build gate or use mod for no paparazi - I used the paparazzi for various nefarious purposes so I was usually glad to see them.

Mod for no curfew - Curfews made no difference to me. In fact I used to think it was pretty funny when my kids got caught.

Mod to enhance story progression - I never used a mod for story progression.

Mod to make isla paradiso playable. I did the fixes of the houses with issues and didn't have other problems. Then again I didn't play with IP that long because I prefered other worlds.

Mod to prevent mermaids from dying in any world without an ocean - I didn't play many mermaids. I thought they were a little lame so I never took them to other worlds.

Mod to reset routing issues - I never had a lot of routing issues. Maybe we played different worlds?

Actually why don't i just skip about 12 mods and just insert ALL Nraas mods. _ I used nrass mods after all the game patches were done and the ones I used were to enhance game play, not to fix game play.

They were literallt NEEDED to play. - Maybe for you but as you can see not for me.

You, as others have, are talking about your experience with TS3. It's not the same one I had.

I'm glad you got to experience a flawless sims 3. Please understand though you are in the minority though. The devs have stated numerous times the lack of open world in sims 4 isn't due to time constraints it's due to complaints.

My high end gaming computer can't even handle it without hiccups and its a 2009 game..

I don't get how you have full moon only, I'm one of the biggest supernatural fans like you and I HATED zombies in sims 3.

Also regarding your post about game breaking bugs, most of them have been patched a long time ago but you still keep talking about them as if they're happening alot.

Musical chairs was fixed and happens far less.

Culling was improved alot and you won't notice it till until ALOT of gameplay is put in, and 64 bit helps alot. For example I know you hate ghosts being culled. I'm on my 4th gen in a very old save where the dead grandfather has been dead and at a house on a different lot for the longrs time. Meaning he hasn't been interacted with yet he still hasn't been culled.

So you're saying things were fixed, but still happen..just less?????? Lol

Sooooo it's not fixed lol...

We're on our way to a flawless ts4 folks.

Only reason I say less is because of the reason musical chairs were designed. Sims in this game have a preference to sit by sims they're close to or chatting to. This caused em to go haywhire and move seats constantly. Occasionally you'll still see sims change their seats but it's not musical chairs.

I can honestly say I have not seen musical chairs since the december patch happen once. There was a previous patch that addressed it but all it did for me was reduce how much it happened. The december patch seemed to eliminate it though.

As for culling it will never be completely "fixed" Culling has existed in every sims game (can't speak for sims 1 but I'd assume that too) however it wasn't noticeable till you had alot of sims. They've done alot of improvements for culling but it's never gonna be removed without mods. I can see the cap being 1k sims by the end of sims 4 life cycle.

I honestly do not recall culling in ts2 whatsoever.
    Nor in ts3...no one ever disappeared from my family tree or cemetery. Ts3 some sims would move to another town though.

Culling was less severe in those games. After sims 3 got hated on by alot of people for lag they went out of their way to make sims 4 playable on your grandmas toaster. I love how smooth the game is but I shouldn't suffer cause someone doesn't keep up with computers. Sims is an expensive hobby, if you can afford all the packs you can save up for a decent computer.

I've never noticed culling in sims 2 or 3 either but that's probably cause I never did legacies. I would always start a game and start a new save a month later. I got bored after my sims progressed too much, new worlds and new adventures were just too exciting not to do every week lol.

Sims 4 is the first game I've done a legacy on. Gen 4 is baking in the oven and that's my highest gen in any sims game, sad I know but I'm excited! Eventually my sims will be culled and I'll be really sad. I probably wouldn't mind if they stayed in the family tree.

Do you know if sims moving away in sims 3 would remove them fromthe family tree?

TS2 had a big limit up until University, and then it was a HUGE limit.

"The game actually has a character file limit. If you have the base game or the University expansion, each neighborhood has a maximum population limit of 1000 character files. If you have Nightlife or a later EP/SP, the limit has been increased to around 32767 files."
    Source: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption

That means: virtually zero culling for most players. You need to play the game so much and have so many sims that it just doesn't happen at all to most people. We've never heard of culling in the past because it wasn't a problem. TS4 has a very low limit that impacts gameplay.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @ebuchala I think that was probably the best post I've seen yet to describe my feelings about TS4, so thanks !

And to add my opinion on whether the base game is enough : I'd say yes. It occupied me a lot longer than TS3 base game, simply because a lot of stuff is already in there if you like to explore details. Maybe that's just me but in my opinion the game feels much more alive , from the worlds down to the little interactions and reactions. And this is especially added upon in the game packs and Get Together. I can't really say that for GTW though.

Sure thing. :) I, personally, also find the game more alive and more immersive. I played the heck out of TS3 but tended to always play at speed 2 and zoomed out a bit so I could keep track of everything going on. I play TS4 zoomed in quite a bit more so I can see the animations better and pretty much always on speed 1 unless my sims are doing something repetitive/boring (i.e., sleeping).
    I in fact think that may have been the problem people had with 3, my daughter always played at speed 2 or 3 too and then it's just looking at little characters running around. And because they're not overreacting that much, it may feel like they're boring. I only use 3 at night, the rest is always on speed 1 and a lot of pausing to be able to take screenshots (because there are amazing details in the game, you'll just miss them at speed 2). I played Sims 4 the same way: speed 1, pausing to take screens. For me there's no difference between the games in that respect. In fact I see more variety in facial expressions in 3. But again, that goes unnoticed at speed 2.

This kind of presumes I never played on speed 1, though, which would be inaccurate. I played on speed 1 at the beginning and zoomed in more to see what was going on but after a short while, it was too slow and being zoomed in meant missing too much of what was going on around my sim so I zoomed out and sped things up. Haven't felt the same need to in TS4 but we all have different experiences and preferences.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
    I can tell you right now, you will not like it. I think you prefer TS3 over TS2..so if that is true, you will not have much good to say about TS4. TS2 players who were not really in love with TS3 but liked it o.k. don't mind many things in TS4 due to some things are slightly improved from TS2 to TS4 and others are not. So, I think TS2 players actually gave TS4 more chances to prove itself than a TS3 player would. Due to closed worlmand rotation play and all that. However, TS3 players are going to be very disappointed at the sight of the tiny worlds and a loading screen right next door. TS2 players sometimes don't mind this as much. So, I expect you to give somewhat a mild review about CAS pull and tug features (which are still too limited for me) and some scathing reviews about personality but I hope you get enough time to see everything and how things work and why it's got some pros and some major cons. :#

Hmmm

*shrug*

Mods can be fun it's not my taste to have them in my game because maxis actually released a fine game I love to play.They left ts3 glitched out relying on customers to fix it.In the sims 4 everyday on discussions if im lurking I see sims 4 players complaining about something that went wrong that day.Other players reactions ? "I try to look past it or here's a link add it to the bug list". What are us customers paying for ?? Sims or Bugs that need mods :/ and many breaking issues are still there and irl I can say thats a fact my SIL has the sims 4.She ran into culling,incest,bipolar emotions, emotions not working,and a list of other glitches.Guess what I had to tell her "You have to go on the forums to see what mods they use to play".Special mods enhance gameplay but certain mods are needed to play this game.It does not work correctly.If people took all of their mods out they would probably be complaining right along with the other players.

I just recently added a bunch of mods to enhance my gameplay. For the first year or so I played a vanilla game with very few issues. Most of my complaints about the game are related to tweaks I'd like to see (i.e. emotions), not bugs. I've personally run into very few bugs in this game, fortunately for me.

This kind of presumes I never played on speed 1, though, which would be inaccurate. I played on speed 1 at the beginning and zoomed in more to see what was going on but after a short while, it was too slow and being zoomed in meant missing too much of what was going on around my sim so I zoomed out and sped things up. Haven't felt the same need to in TS4 but we all have different experiences and preferences.
    So many people so many experiences of course (certainly not debating that), but I don't really understand why a lot of things happening around your sim (which sounds like a good thing to me) means you feel the need to speed things up. But like I said, my daughter did it as well. I remember witnessing her playing before I played the game myself and it all felt cold and impersonal to me (her sims were all doing their own thing, at high speed). Then I started playing the game myself and according to her I play like a dead person lol.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I can tell you right now, you will not like it. I think you prefer TS3 over TS2..so if that is true, you will not have much good to say about TS4. TS2 players who were not really in love with TS3 but liked it o.k. don't mind many things in TS4 due to some things are slightly improved from TS2 to TS4 and others are not. So, I think TS2 players actually gave TS4 more chances to prove itself than a TS3 player would. Due to closed worlmand rotation play and all that. However, TS3 players are going to be very disappointed at the sight of the tiny worlds and a loading screen right next door. TS2 players sometimes don't mind this as much. So, I expect you to give somewhat a mild review about CAS pull and tug features (which are still too limited for me) and some scathing reviews about personality but I hope you get enough time to see everything and how things work and why it's got some pros and some major cons. :#

Hmmm

*shrug*

I just recently added a bunch of mods to enhance my gameplay. For the first year or so I played a vanilla game with very few issues. Most of my complaints about the game are related to tweaks I'd like to see (i.e. emotions), not bugs. I've personally run into very few bugs in this game, fortunately for me.

That game just needs a bandaid or 10 of them.

So many people so many experiences of course (certainly not debating that), but I don't really understand why a lot of things happening around your sim (which sounds like a good thing to me) means you feel the need to speed things up. But like I said, my daughter did it as well. I remember witnessing her playing before I played the game myself and it all felt cold and impersonal to me (her sims were all doing their own thing, at high speed). Then I started playing the game myself and according to her I play like a dead person lol.

Let me break it down for you since you seem to have had a problem parsing my sentence.

1. Zoomed in to see what was going on and played on speed 1 so I wouldn't miss anything. God bored with repeated animations and how slowly things were moving so I sped up the game since I didn't care to see the same animations over and over and wanted to get through things. Slowed down when something new was happening, something I hadn't done in awhile came up, or I just felt like watching them live the minutiae again.

2. Zoomed in to see what was going on up close but couldn't see what was going on around my sim as well and since TS3 was more about the world around the sim than the sim themselves, there was A LOT going on without my sim, so I zoomed out to see more of it. Also, got bored with repeated animations so I would wander off and look at other things while my sim was doing something boring, but the extraneous stuff wasn't as interesting as my personal sim(s) so even doing that didn't last all that long.

Does that parse the explanation better for you so you can see I wasn't saying that things going on around my sim made me speed it up, specifically? Though eventually even that contributed to it since it was essentially the same as watching my own sim do those things except I didn't have a lot of townies that I had a vested interest in so they didn't really hold as appeal for me to watch.

I personally find myself more directly engaged in watching the sims in TS4 since I like the way they look a lot, I enjoy the animations and interactions available and I feel comfortable playing several households since you can switch between hh so easily. Ironically, even though TS3 was more about the world outside, I find myself enjoying watching other sims in 4 more than I did in 3--probably because I play a few hh in this game, so I'm more attached to some of the random sims that show up. It's kind of exciting to have one sim hanging out a lot and see another sim I play from a different hh show up and talk to a townie or wander into a shop/the museum/the library, like their lives are going on normally while I'm playing my current sim.

It's a shame the game plays so badly for you. I don't personally need a bunch of "bandaids," just a few tweaks and I'll be happy.

Let me break it down for you since you seem to have had a problem parsing my sentence.

1. Zoomed in to see what was going on and played on speed 1 so I wouldn't miss anything. God bored with repeated animations and how slowly things were moving so I sped up the game since I didn't care to see the same animations over and over and wanted to get through things. Slowed down when something new was happening, something I hadn't done in awhile came up, or I just felt like watching them live the minutiae again.

2. Zoomed in to see what was going on up close but couldn't see what was going on around my sim as well and since TS3 was more about the world around the sim than the sim themselves, there was A LOT going on without my sim, so I zoomed out to see more of it. Also, got bored with repeated animations so I would wander off and look at other things while my sim was doing something boring, but the extraneous stuff wasn't as interesting as my personal sim(s) so even doing that didn't last all that long.

Does that parse the explanation better for you so you can see I wasn't saying that things going on around my sim made me speed it up, specifically? Though eventually even that contributed to it since it was essentially the same as watching my own sim do those things except I didn't have a lot of townies that I had a vested interest in so they didn't really hold as appeal for me to watch.

I personally find myself more directly engaged in watching the sims in TS4 since I like the way they look a lot, I enjoy the animations and interactions available and I feel comfortable playing several households since you can switch between hh so easily. Ironically, even though TS3 was more about the world outside, I find myself enjoying watching other sims in 4 more than I did in 3--probably because I play a few hh in this game, so I'm more attached to some of the random sims that show up. It's kind of exciting to have one sim hanging out a lot and see another sim I play from a different hh show up and talk to a townie or wander into a shop/the museum/the library, like their lives are going on normally while I'm playing my current sim.
    To be honest with you..., I know what you mean by repeated animations (especially during 'different' conversations), but I witnessed that in Sims 4 as well. That most certainly wasn't handled better, at least, not when I was playing. I mean, yeah, they do funny stuff when they're cooking, but they repeat it endlessly as well don't they? At first I really liked the faces they pulled (I created them cartoony, which suited those animations), but at a certain point I found they were constantly pulling the same one. I witness that in stories as well.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the game being about the world around the sim btw, what were you doing then? Watching traffic passing by? Looking at the mountains? In fact it's Sims 4 where I'm constantly distracted by sims stomping by in some sort of mood, drawing attention. Especially when they start interfering in the conversations or actions my sims are having and doing. I remember my first sim visiting that secret tree. In no time five other sims were gathered around her, actively keeping her from what I wanted her to do: exploring a tree. This never happens in 3. In 3 it's my sim and me, me and my sim, unless I decide otherwise (by instructing them or by leaning back for a while). In Sims 4 I was continuously canceling interactions that pushed away my own. In that respect 'the world around my sim' has a bigger impact than in Sims 3, where I can ignore everybody if I want to.

I completely follow what you say in your last paragraph (liking the looks of the sims and enjoying the animations and interactions), because that's also one of my major problems with 4. Some people really dislike that in 3, others do in 4. I hope they'll find a look and approach that will suit us all in a successor. I don't play rotational in 3 by the way, but I experience the same thing when my sim meets his parents or siblings or cousins, aunts and uncles (whom I often raised and played). That certainly gives the game more depth.
    5JZ57S6.png

It's a shame the game plays so badly for you. I don't personally need a bunch of "bandaids," just a few tweaks and I'll be happy.

Wouldn't tweaks be bandaids lol.I do not and have not played ts4 since 2014.It's not just me there's a whole community of simmers not just on the forums that had and have bugs,glitches and game breaking problems.With the amount of issues the game has it will forever be in the shadows of ts3 regarding unfixed issues and game problems.I think your a minority that has a game without problems lol lucky you.
    edited March 2016

To be honest with you..., I know what you mean by repeated animations (especially during 'different' conversations), but I witnessed that in Sims 4 as well. That most certainly wasn't handled better, at least, not when I was playing. I mean, yeah, they do funny stuff when they're cooking, but they repeat it endlessly as well don't they? At first I really liked the faces they pulled (I created them cartoony, which suited those animations), but at a certain point I found they were constantly pulling the same one. I witness that in stories as well.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the game being about the world around the sim btw, what were you doing then? Watching traffic passing by? Looking at the mountains? In fact it's Sims 4 where I'm constantly distracted by sims stomping by in some sort of mood, drawing attention. Especially when they start interfering in the conversations or actions my sims are having and doing. I remember my first sim visiting that secret tree. In no time five other sims were gathered around her, actively keeping her from what I wanted her to do: exploring a tree. This never happens in 3. In 3 it's my sim and me, me and my sim, unless I decide otherwise (by instructing them or by leaning back for a while). In Sims 4 I was continuously canceling interactions that pushed away my own. In that respect 'the world around my sim' has a bigger impact than in Sims 3, where I can ignore everybody if I want to.

I completely follow what you say in your last paragraph (liking the looks of the sims and enjoying the animations and interactions), because that's also one of my major problems with 4. Some people really dislike that in 3, others do in 4. I hope they'll find a look and approach that will suit us all in a successor. I don't play rotational in 3 by the way, but I experience the same thing when my sim meets his parents or siblings or cousins, aunts and uncles (whom I often raised and played). That certainly gives the game more depth.

Yeah, I understand--I think it's just the nature of the beast that we'll end up with repeated animations in pretty much any iteration of the game. Not sure why I don't find it as boring in 4; probably because I like the look of the sims better? But I also feel like there are more animations--could be my perception though since I'm enjoying the game right now and it's been awhile since I've played 3.

For me, Sims 3 focused on this big beautiful world they built. There was constantly stuff going on that had no relevance to my sim at all. Townies went about their lives, the worlds themselves were massive (I don't think I ever even got to explore all of IP--mainly because it was so buggy for me, but all of the worlds were huge). And none of that is bad--I thoroughly enjoyed TS3 while I was playing it, barring the annoyance with the initial load time and the issues I had with rendering taking so long and some lagging and routing problems. But I felt like the game was more about the world than about the individual sims, which is the opposite for me in TS4. I feel more connected to my sims, probably because the worlds are smaller and the focus seems to be on how the sims behave and interact with each other and their immediate surroundings over the sprawling beauty of TS3. I like that the worlds feel more personal and more about my individual households rather than about everything that's going on around my household and what my individual sims are missing. Not sure if I'm making sense or not. :D And, by the time this game's run is over, I may be heartily sick of how enclosed everything feels and ready for it to all open up again. For now, I'm enjoying feeling closer to my sims than I ever felt in TS3.

It's a shame you had that happen with the secret tree. The first time I found it, my sim wandered around it, poked at it and tried to figure out what to do with it. I think I got interrupted once by the lot gardener and then my sim just went back to poking and prodding until he figured it out. But, I do see what you're saying about TS4 in light of the direct impact on the Sim and that's part of what I like. My sims in 3 had this huge world to explore but they were still pretty alone unless something specific was going on to draw sims in or the lot I was on had something particularly attractive sims. Or if I controlled sims to come interact with them. There are pluses and minuses to both versions, for me. I think in TS3, the world revolved around the world--things happened and your sim may or may not be in the middle of it while in TS4, the world literally revolves around your sim. I don't actually mind that in this version but I know it's an issue for others.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Wouldn't tweaks be bandaids lol.I do not and have not played ts4 since 2014.It's not just me there's a whole community of simmers not just on the forums that had and have bugs,glitches and game breaking problems.With the amount of issues the game has it will forever be in the shadows of ts3 regarding unfixed issues and game problems.I think your a minority that has a game without problems lol lucky you.

I think you're the minority. Everyone I've talked to has always said sims 4 runs smooth and flawless, even people who hate it. If it's not I imagine it's time to upgrade your computer.

Sims 3 however had and has game breaking bugs left and right.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

I think you're the minority. Everyone I've talked to has always said sims 4 runs smooth and flawless, even people who hate it. If it's not I imagine it's time to upgrade your computer.

Sims 3 however had and has game breaking bugs left and right.

Lol how am I the minority when I returned the game long ago XD maybe you think the game is sunshine and rainbows but um feedback of all simmers says different.In all countries.Simmers have ran into problems with ts4.It's glitchy jr compared to ts3 that's why I play neither.Is GTW and GT smooth and flawless without mods ? That's where im seeing the most recent complaints.Can't ignore the problems with the expansion packs unfortunately.People who have had no problems are the minority because the game is a little buggy mess check some reviews on all social media.
    edited March 2016

Bandaids, to me, indicate something is wrong. Tweaks indicate something needs to be refined or fine-tuned, not that something is wrong. I don't think emotions are broken, I think they need to be tweaked. I do think they need to add more emotions (i.e., fear is a big one).

I wasn't really talking to a whole community of simmers, just you and I don't really feel the need to empathize with the rest of them in this particular conversation. I also didn't say I never had any bugs or glitches--that would be just silly. I don't think I've ever owned a game that didn't have any bugs or glitches, especially these days when coding is so incredibly complex and everyone has different computer configurations. But I have not had any game breaking problems and I doubt there's a huge slew of people that have either or it would've come up as a much huger issue than it has. I doubt it's going to be forever in TS3's shadow for unfixed issues--TS3 was an unoptimized, buggy mess and while I also played it vanilla, it caused enough issues that I should have learned how to add mods into the game just so I could play it without constant render and lagging issues. Now that Maxis has finished with the game, they've even stated that it's best to limit your number of xpacks for the game to 2 because putting more in could cause issues.

TS4 has obviously had it's share of bugs but, you haven't played it since 2014 so you've essentially missed a lot of the fixes that have been added and considering that they have been patching the game every month and regularly working on issues that have been coming up, I again find it hard to believe TS3 won't remain king of unfixed issues in the end.

I also think part of the problem with "bugs" is that some people consider certain things broken when they are actually features that they just don't like that have been programmed into the game. I'm not talking about actual bugs: the really bizarre demon baby was a bug/glitch; the musical chairs was essentially a bug caused by overemphasis on a feature they coded into the game; the spicy food issue was a bug and so forth. It's a game with complex coding it; it will have bugs show up. But culling, for instance, which I think is overly limiting, is programmed in to keep the game running smoothly. Whether I agree with it or not, it's in by design and is not a bug--using a mod to get rid of it doesn't "fix" the game per se, it just makes it work the way I (or anyone who uses a mod for it) wants it to. The emotional buff on décor isn't a bug, it's programmed in by design. While I don't like that it affects the sims as much as it does, using a mod to change or remove the environmental buffs is not "fixing" the game, it's just making it work more the way you want it to. I would love for them to tweak the environmental buffs and add more negative ones but, no they are not bugs and they are not broken.