Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family Play Is About More Than Toddlers

Comments

• Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    @Orchid13 Many of the endless threads are made by the same people. Also, people are more likely to voice a complaint than a compliment. So family play is there.

Regarding neighbors: If the Sims' cousin is the neighbor, of course that is family play if you have them do things together.

You statement is wrong regarding the devs not adding anything new to family play. Controllable clubs is something new to the series that wasn't in previous games and that adds a lot of family play. As one example: players can create a club of sisters who live in different households that get together on weekends and paint and drink bar drinks at each others houses.

That's another thing I'd like to address. The relationships among family members doesn't exist. If you have a family of four and one of the parents' siblings gets married that person is not considered an Aunt or Uncle . I like the fact that they can recongize cousins but that part bothers me a little.

And when it comes to clubs and family play (this might just be me) are two different things. Those sisters that are in a club together who drink and paint on the weekends I could easily do that with calling them over and just having them spend time with one another.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    @Simfan923 Can you post a video of you easily having NPCs perform specific this in the game without mods or using the club system? When you invite NPCs over, it is hard to control them to do specific actions at least in my game, without the club system in place. I could invite a group of NPC Sims over but that doesn't mean they are going to do the actions I want them to do and they won't do things I don't want them to do like play on the computer.
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    @Orchid13 Many of the endless threads are made by the same people. Also, people are more likely to voice a complaint than a compliment. So family play is there.

Regarding neighbors: If the Sims' cousin is the neighbor, of course that is family play if you have them do things together.

You statement is wrong regarding the devs not adding anything new to family play. Controllable clubs is something new to the series that wasn't in previous games and that adds a lot of family play. As one example: players can create a club of sisters who live in different households that get together on weekends and paint and drink bar drinks at each others houses.

That's another thing I'd like to address. The relationships among family members doesn't exist. If you have a family of four and one of the parents' siblings gets married that person is not considered an Aunt or Uncle . I like the fact that they can recongize cousins but that part bothers me a little.

And when it comes to clubs and family play (this might just be me) are two different things. Those sisters that are in a club together who drink and paint on the weekends I could easily do that with calling them over and just having them spend time with one another.

That doesn't make any sense at all. :o They can't recognize aunts and uncles but cousins are no problem how can that even work?
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member

That doesn't make any sense at all. :o They can't recognize aunts and uncles but cousins are no problem how can that even work?

They recognize aunts and uncles if those Sims are their parents' siblings. They just don't recognize in-laws, so if your Sims aunt gets married they won't recognize her husband as an uncle.

"It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

They recognize aunts and uncles if those Sims are their parents' siblings. They just don't recognize in-laws, so if your Sims aunt gets married they won't recognize her husband as an uncle.

Oh, that's...strange.

Weren't they able to recognize in laws in sims 3?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
    edited March 2016

Oh, that's...strange.

Weren't they able to recognize in laws in sims 3?

I think they did to a certain degree. I remember them recognizing step parents and step siblings as relatives, as well as mother and father in-laws. I can't recall if that extended to married-in aunts and uncles, though. It's been a few years since I played that game last.

I do recall in Sims 2 I had a Sim that had an affair with her sister's husband. So they haven't always recognized married-in Sims as relatives. Which is pretty realistic , actually. In real life I could have a romantic relationship with my aunts husband if I wanted to....would be a little creepy, yes, lol... But nothing that would technically be considered incest.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member

I can do that in every single game if i invite them over to my house...
    21mbz47.jpg

I can do that in every single game if i invite them over to my house...
    21mbz47.jpg
    edited March 2016
    @Simfan923 Can you post a video of you easily having NPCs perform specific this in the game without mods or using the club system? When you invite NPCs over, it is hard to control them to do specific actions at least in my game, without the club system in place. I could invite a group of NPC Sims over but that doesn't mean they are going to do the actions I want them to do and they won't do things I don't want them to do like play on the computer.

In many games you could invite a friend to join you in an activity. It's hardly anything new. In fact just recently i wanted one of my group members to grill something and he didn't i wish the club leader could give orders

And yes grilling was part of the activity
    21mbz47.jpg
    @Orchid13 Can you post a video without you using mods showing this?
    edited March 2016

Um no? I don't have a video. Nor will i waste my time doing one. Also i won't erase my mods, the game is unplayable without them
    21mbz47.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    I think the OP is right. You can have excellent family play without superfluous life stages. In fact, I'll go so far to argue that we can do away elders (because seriously, most players end up sticking them in an old folk's home and not playing them so they don't die, or turning them into ghosts anyway) and without university, we don't need young adults (will never understand the point of this lifestage anyway... why not just increase the time for adults?!) and since YAs and teens look the same, let's go ahead and get rid of the teens so that--if we play a family friendly game--we don't have to be bothered hovering our mouse over a sim to see if they are a teen or YA before our adult sim opts to be 'flirty' with them. I know for a fact that you can have AMAZING family stories with the life stages which remain because I've been there and done that before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA

Gosh, I do hope when you become an elder in RL that you don't just get shoved aside as no longer a viable part of society. Or end up in a stinking old folk's home. My goodness I'm NOT superfluous. Nor are YA's. I was married at 19 (a YA), so some of us take our Sims on similar journeys. And I do play my Elders. Most of the deaths in my game have been from old age. I don't blythly end a Sims' life just to have a ghost.
    In case you were unaware, females in RL tend to look very adult. In fact many don't change at all for many, many years. I think Sims4 Sims are just reflecting this bit of reality. I don't wish to lose life stages, I'd much rather gain some (toddlers, being top of the list).

I do agree with you on one point, however. It IS possible to have amazing family stories with the life stages we have in this game. I have found a way to do so, myself. But, that doesn't mean I don't pine for toddlers. Adding them back to the game, would fill an ENORMOUS hole in the life of a Sim.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

^This I should've been clearer haha. But yes in laws are definitely not recognized in TS4.
    1FKDfKj.png
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Um no? I don't have a video. Nor will i waste my time doing one. Also i won't erase my mods, the game is unplayable without them

I thought we could disable mods now without removing the folder?
    1FKDfKj.png
    edited March 2016
    @Orchid13 Of course you won't post a video. You are the one claiming players can do the exact same things clubs bring in The Sims 2 and 3. First off, in The Sims 2, players could not visit the houses of other Sims. Secondly, in The Sims 3 there was no option for Sims to paint together.

How is that family play? I won't post a video cause i dont owe you anything. And in the sims 2 you could invite ppl over

The clubs brought in stuff, but not family play
    21mbz47.jpg
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I thought we could disable mods now without removing the folder?

You can, but i rather not mess around too much with it, cause the mc command center is a pain
    21mbz47.jpg
    @Orchid13 You could invite people over in The Sims 2 but you couldn't go over to their houses and play your Sim. I am talking about going over to another Sim's house and playing your Sim. That is something you can't do in The Sims 2 without mods. You refused to post a video and you won't remove your mods because you know what you stated isn't possible.

I thought families spending time together and doing activities together was a part of family play? Sisters are family right?
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Maybe Orchid is talking about the group system in Sims 3? I had a group of Sims go out to a Karokee bar together and two of them 2 karrokee while the third one booed them.

@Invaderchickycat We have had the group system in the entire series. I am specifically talking about the club system. The club system offers way more to gameplay than the group system.
    edited March 2016
    @Orchid13 You could invite people over in The Sims 2 but you couldn't go over to their houses and play your Sim. I am talking about going over to another Sim's house and playing your Sim. That is something you can't do in The Sims 2 without mods. You refused to post a video and you won't remove your mods because you know what you stated isn't possible.

I thought families spending time together and doing activities together was a part of family play? Sisters are family right?

Um? What . I only have the sims 4 installed. Don't speak FOR me. Who cares if i can't go over if they can come to me? Its irrelevant to me. Its not family play either you are changing your own original topic.

Also stop asking for a video. If i dont want to post one is cause i don't last more than 30 minutes playing the game and i have other stuff to do
    Maybe Orchid is talking about the group system in Sims 3? I had a group of Sims go out to a Karokee bar together and two of them 2 karrokee while the third one booed them.

Not even that. I mean yeah that was always possible, but to me doing things together was not a problem with other games. I would join sims in activities
    21mbz47.jpg

I can do that in every game and better. In ts4 children can't do stuff together unless its linked to an objects. In other sims my sims could play catch, cops and robbers and more
    21mbz47.jpg
    I think the OP is right. You can have excellent family play without superfluous life stages. In fact, I'll go so far to argue that we can do away elders (because seriously, most players end up sticking them in an old folk's home and not playing them so they don't die, or turning them into ghosts anyway) and without university, we don't need young adults (will never understand the point of this lifestage anyway... why not just increase the time for adults?!) and since YAs and teens look the same, let's go ahead and get rid of the teens so that--if we play a family friendly game--we don't have to be bothered hovering our mouse over a sim to see if they are a teen or YA before our adult sim opts to be 'flirty' with them. I know for a fact that you can have AMAZING family stories with the life stages which remain because I've been there and done that before.

Gosh, I do hope when you become an elder in RL that you don't just get shoved aside as no longer a viable part of society. Or end up in a stinking old folk's home. My goodness I'm NOT superfluous. Nor are YA's. I was married at 19 (a YA), so some of us take our Sims on similar journeys. And I do play my Elders. Most of the deaths in my game have been from old age. I don't blythly end a Sims' life just to have a ghost.
    In case you were unaware, females in RL tend to look very adult. In fact many don't change at all for many, many years. I think Sims4 Sims are just reflecting this bit of reality. I don't wish to lose life stages, I'd much rather gain some (toddlers, being top of the list).

I do agree with you on one point, however. It IS possible to have amazing family stories with the life stages we have in this game. I have found a way to do so, myself. But, that doesn't mean I don't pine for toddlers. Adding them back to the game, would fill an ENORMOUS hole in the life of a Sim.

I agree with you on all points @GalacticGal however I am pretty sure @nanashi-sims was being sarcastic. :P
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2016

@GalacticGal - you are right. You are not superfluous. I don't even know who you are, but I am certain of that much. My post was never intended to imply that.

Thank you @StarlingGray.

Too bad toddlers can't register for this site to call folks out for dismissing their significance :unamused: