Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Contest ~ Challenge 74 up due (EST) 9th March ☆☆

Comments

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ok so Ive done my part 1 landscaping and here are the pics, I am far from being an expert with landscaping I am better at judging others than creating myself haha but the goal is to decorate and clutter without overly doing it and not having anything bare.
    Also make sure anyone doing this that everything is usable and nothing is sticking into other things, though when it comes to flowers they can stick into each other. Just make sure they aren't sticking into solid objects like walls, chairs and things like that

So here is my front yard with the natural looking water feature, I chose a pond.
    Part%201%20front.jpg

Then here is the left side of the lot, with my terrain paint tool pathways (I used a mixture of 2 paints and my outdoor eating area and bbq
    Part%201%20left.jpg

The back yard next to the eating area is a small pool
    Part%201%20backyard.jpg

and lastly the right side of the lot I put a small garden for veggies
    Part%201%20right.jpg

I am sure others can do a much better job and I hope we get some experienced builders helping out also some novices and intermediates. Instead of just getting a short paragraph of critique here is your opportunity to really discuss ideas and areas to improve
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
  • mommataurus2mommataurus2 Posts: 1,845 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Cbear I really love the landscaping you chose. Its so soft looking. Where are the bunnies??
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

@mommataurus2 oh I love that its a totally different style to mine and great decoration nothing looks bare.
    And your 100% right landscaping doesn't have to be tough or over the top you just need to break up the bare areas of the garden.

For the judging side of the challenges what we look for with landscaping is that you guys make the most of the space, decorate, be creative try to creative some feature that is different and eye catching. Also having some outdoor activities for sims to do is good to.
    We like to see personality in the entries which is best achieved by using decoration and clutter.

A little example is if we had a challenge that was just say desert themed, you would think desert is just a lot of blank sand but with us judges that wont score you any points so think creative how can you decorate a desert.
    Use terrian paint to break up the plain land, rocks, cactus. Fill the areas with some kind of details so they dont look bare is what we are asking for. They dont have to be overly cluttered and jam packed but they have to have a good balance.
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    lol @mommataurus2 I have two real bunnies so I dont always use the fake ones in game haha
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    The way you have done the landscaping of the build looks very great! @mommataurus2 :) Very nice layout of the outdoors areas! The placement of the plants and rocks looks very effective! Very nice outdoors dining nook! The planter boxes on the edges give a great look to the area. It looks great the way you have a different flooring under the table. The cactus water feature looks very nice! The way that you have used the terrain paint for the pathways looks very nice and the type of terrain paint used complements well with the rocks and plants.
    Your landscaping of the build looks very nice! @Cbear13 :) Very nice front pond area! The flowers and rocks look pretty and nice on the edges of the water. The lilypads are a nice touch in the pond. The flowers and plants look very nice against the edges of the front and sides of the home. The rocks and plants look great at the front entry area to the lot. Very nice seat bench sitting nook! The hedging looks nice on the edges of the seat bench . The terrain paint pathways look great how you have done them! Very nice outdoors dining nook! It looks nice how the hedging is used there and in the pool area to separate off the areas. The armchairs on either sides of the outdoors dining nook are great to have there, and adds both to the look of the area as well as being an outdoors area where sims can enjoy sitting resting outdoors in the air. Very nice pool alcove! The fish water fountains look nice on the edge of the pool with the water going into the pool. It looks great how the loungers have been created ! Very nice gardening nook! Sims will enjoy growing and harvesting plants there. It looks nice how the gardening area is fenced off.
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    @Cbear13 what a great Idea that's why I join in some of the challenges just to learn and I just done one not so long ago It's in my showcase on a shell we were given to renovate and landscaping and did not get any feedback on It maybe got lost for words on it.
    @chips46 well I am happy to discuss them in detail with anyone wanting to join in I wont just do a feedback like we do for the results I will actually chat to you through mail or on here if you like.
    I am sure some of the other experienced builders wont mind giving advice to
  • jadeiamjadeiam Posts: 146 Member
    QC challenge no: QC18
    Origin ID: jadeiam
    Are you a novice builder: No
    Intermediate or Expert level: Expert
    Original Lot used: Dock Den
    Build Gallery Name: Seabreeze and Sunsets
    Your short story/write up: This beautiful white Queenslander on the sand is perfect for Jade, and she knows it! So close to the beach that during stormy times the waves can creep as close as the front door, thankfully it's highset! Heritage listed and surrounded by lush tropical gardens, this historical charmer is exactly what Jade's been searching for since deciding to take some time off to write that novel. Home, at last.

Gallery Link: Seabreeze and Sunsets

mrGA1gM.jpg
    CPjdUiY.png
    P8rsMpA.png
    4ZPb8Rz.png
    1GPxrje.png
    Sea breeze and Sunsets is a very nice home! @Oliana :) Very nice layout and exterior design of the home! The stairs look very nice placed in the middle section of the front of the build. The flowers look pretty along the front of the stairs and along the edges of the front wall of candles! Very nice upper patio! The car port with the enlarged car in it looks great! The type of trees suit well the type of home. Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The living room is very nice! The type of sofas and the stool there looks nice. Sims will enjoy sitting resting there watching tv and listening to music from the corner nook juke box. The flowers on the coffee table and beside the tv are nice for sims to see when sitting there. The hanging lights look pretty ! The birds decor is a nice touch on the wall. Very nice design of the kitchen! The stove, dishwasher and microwave nook looks very nice! The cabinets look nice placed along the top of the nook and the wall cutlery, hanging pans, spice set, plants, hot chocolate , leafy picture,wall clock and basket of eggs are nice kitchen and home touches in the room, and look very nice how they are placed on the wall, counter and shelves there. The blue colour of the kitchen walls look nice. Very nice outdoors areas! Nice firepit area for sims to enjoy sitting on the log themed seats around the fire, toasting food and telling stories. The outdoors dining area is very nice! The colourful patterned floor rugs add a nice look to the area. Sims will enjoy listening to the radio music whilst dining outdoors in the air. The lights there look very pretty too! Very nice hot tub nook! Sims will enjoy relaxing in the tub or resting on the sofa there. The walls of candles give a very nice restful look to the area.
    The home is very nice! :) Jade will enjoy writing her book there.
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    edited March 2016
    Like already mentioned before use the pool or fountain tool to give them a more natural form. Use plants, rocks and those newish edges to conceal the edges of the pond. Using the bubble and mist emitter thingies might add to the natural look as well. You could also use the different fountains to create small waterfalls for ponds.
    The cheats bb.showhiddenobjects and bb.moveobjects are really usefull for landscaping. As well as using ALT for placing more acurately, SHIFT for placing more than one item and F5 to have items snap to the grid in smaller steps than usual.
    Be carefull with terrain paint. Use the slider to make the edges more blurry. Using the smallest avaiable option allows for adding the flower paints more selectively. Mix different paints to make it look more natural.

1. Use the fishing signs (sorry my game isn't in english, so I don't know the items actual name) to add some fish to your pond. Since the fish do appear a bit behind the actual sign you might want to keep checking in live mode where they actually do appear. The pond needs to be large enough for this or you might have some fish jumping out of the ground outside the pond, which would look plainly weird. If you have enough space besides the pool it will even be useable. I didn't have enough space here to place the sign so it could be used. You might cover them up with a rock or plant in that case.
    2. Use items from the debug menu to add more variety, here it is that log Sims sometimes catch while fishing, as well as some twigs. Also if you try to build a starter home and want a pond you might want to use one of the debug ponds (costs nothing and your Sim can fish without leaving home).
    3. Even with the more natural edges for ponds and pools it does seem a bit weird to have a sharp edge like that. So cover it with some terrain paint like in 4.
    IipdV4m.jpg

5. To give the pond a more natural look use the different water colors.
    6. Another way of creating a more natural look is using natural wall paint and floors. By the way you can use roof paints in rooms as well to use them as flooring.
    7. There are two plants your sims are able to swim through, you find them in the pool section. Of course you may add other water plants as well or elevate rocks, but keep in mind your Sims wont swim through them, only around them.
    8. Keep an opening for your Sims to leave and enter the pond, if you use the pool tool.
    IyJ0sOD.jpg

9. Use basement space to create new plants. For smaller items you might want to add some light in the basement or they will look dark. I noticed that you can't light up all plants.Her I used indoor plants from the deco section, you could also place a tree in there to make it shorter. Another good part of using basement space is, that your Sims can walk through the shrubs you create, though it might look a bit odd if they walked through a tree trunk :wink:
    Enlarging objects is also a great way to clutter up some space without using too much cash.
    10. I used moo here to create a different counter space. Since placing the edge counter in the main counter make the main one unusable for your Sims I cluttered it up with some items. In general you could use moo to fuse objects and create something new.
    tEWClnF.jpg

11. You do not need to buy planters for your harvestable plants. You can create your own planters with terrain paint and walkover fences.
    12. harvestable plants may be used for landscaping as well. Just make sure to place them in a way your Sim can reach them.
    ea6xHjC.jpg

SuKpQfZ.jpg

Now did I forget anything *ponders* Ohhh right if you use so many plants as I did for my Oneiro Therines Nyktos, make sure to test the paths you created. I had to change plants there more than once in order to have the Sims walk on the paths.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    The information and tips that you posted are so very helpful! @crysk. :) It is very thougtful of you to post the information to help fellow simmers, and to provide numbered pictures to accompany what you have written. They will be a very helpful resource for simmers when landscaping.
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Great tips @crysk :) I've never tried placing larger plants on the basement level! It looks so effective as well!
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    @rosemow thank you :smile:

@lisa17ann it really is, some trees become bushes that way. But I only use it, if I don't intend to build a room in the basement. It does kind of look weird if you are playing in the basement and then see rooms filled with plants :lol:
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    The build looks very nice! @steskens :) The trellis covered bar and outdoors dining area in the build looks very nice! Very nice arnchairs sitting area in the bar area for sims to enjoy resting in the outdoors air. Sims will enjoy sitting at the bar counter or on the armchairs having a drink from the bar. The pool looks very nice there. The plants look nice on the edge of the water. The outdoors dining nook is very nice for sims to enjoy cooking on the grill and dining at the table. The rocks and flowers near the outdoors dining area. look very nice how you have placed them l The art nook is nice. Sims will enjoy painting on the easel there in the sunshine through the day or in the evening air. Very nice lilypad pond feature in the front courtyard area! The rocks look nice placed around the water and the flowers look pretty on the sides on the rocks. It looks great how you have done the curved driveway! The enlarged car look great on the driveway!
    It looks great ! :)
    @Steskens I love the way you made your natural water features! Nice.
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

@crysk thankyou your tips are amazing and super helpful, love your homemade planter boxes

@Oliana great entry I love the candles wall
    I have downloaded steskens practise challenge and given feedback to her in messages if anyone else would like the same from a judges point of view send me the link to your part 1 landscaping
    .....I have hit that "I have nothing to build and don't know what to do with myself lull." LOL! Sigh....
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

.....I have hit that "I have nothing to build and don't know what to do with myself lull." LOL! Sigh....

Hello @mommataurus2 :)
    You may like to enter some of the challenges in the threads here in this section of the forums . This is a link to the challenges that are currently running.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/838133/build-challenges-links-thread
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    haha @mommataurus2 Pinterest is always inspiration for me :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• RivendellStarRivendellStar Posts: 1,004 Member
    @rosemow Thanks for the link that lists all building competitions :)
    jiyKE8j.png
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    QC challenge no:18
    Origin ID:popettypop2012
    Are you a novice builder: yes
    Intermediate or Expert level: Intermediate
    Original Lot used: Slipshod Mesquite in Oasis Springs
    Build Gallery Name: Modern Oasis Beach House
    Your short story/write up:

Oliver Brunetti's wife, Alicia Fraser, came from a long line of rich aristocrats from Scotland. She just inherited a lot of money from her grandparents, so they decided to buy a huge beach house for them and their two twin girls in Oasis Springs. Oliver and Alicia are both materialistic and family oriented so this house is ideal for their family. There is a nice pink bedroom for the girls, complete with toys. There is a huge pool, a piano and a dance area for the family when they want to entertain guests.

Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/A5FC1527E42911E58DA9E64D760DCA28?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=popettypop2012&max=50&maxis=false

03-07-16_50827nbspPM_zpszvgh6a4t.png

03-07-16_41207nbspPM_zpspwshus8r.png

03-07-16_41013nbspPM_zpsjnvujwnp.png

03-07-16_41253nbspPM_zps45a3q7qp.png
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited January 2017
    Here is my landscaping and I like making ponds by using the debug Items to make It more lively and also some twigs to enlarge for flower beds for mulch.t6pl5y.jpgefh3xy.jpg2qbu82w.jpg24aygaw.jpg2rgi1qc.jpg
    Post edited by chips46 on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top