Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maximum manageable number of plants?

Anyone have a rough idea of how many plants one sim can manage at once in their garden (upkeep, harvesting...) Also, how many plants can the gardener manage to take care of in a day? I don't like to play so maybe someone out there knows as I was thinking of building a working farm. Thanks!

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I have had over 10 plants in a single garden in Sims 4 before, and my sims had no trouble managing them. So I think that the set number of plants is how ever many plants that a Simmer can fit on a single lot with room for a sim to manage that plants with. And since sims can move around with in a half tile. That's a lot of plants since plants can also fit on the half tiles too.
  • azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    Don't forget you can graft plants together, the harvest might not be as big, but it can help compact your garden.. and when its too big call the gardener to work with you.. And with the expansion get together, create your own garden club and have your club members come over and help you.. The flowers once evolved to max level give great dollar amounts for Sims who might not want to work but stay home gardening.
    There is one plant in the game that you might consider having more than one of because it's used in several grafting combinations. And that plant is the snapdragon.
  • PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    There are many factors that affect gardening for maximum output vs. effort invested. You don't necessarily need a lot of land to have a profitable "farm" in Sims 4. In fact, you don't really need any land---you can just garden in planter boxes/pots on patios, rooftops, or basements. B)

I'd say the average Sim can easily manage 12 plants (spending about 3-4 hrs. per day if you figure in the occasional weeding, fertilizing, & spraying) plus a couple of trees to start off with. The amount of plants can increase according to the Sim's traits (including the purchased green thumb one) and as their skill improves as they will become more efficient gardeners. However, plants can also be grafted together to save on space/time. You can get about 4-5 varieties on one plant, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2-3, because the harvest amount per variety will be less. Additionally, watering time seems to have been significantly cut as a result of a previous patch. Great cash crops would include grapes, blackberries, and dragonfruit, and of course, as the quality of the produce goes up (by evolving), so does the value!

Have fun building your farm! :) For more info: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/
  • MissTripsMissTrips Posts: 86 Member
    *waggles hands back and forth* It depends. On your Sims skill, whether or not they have the Super Green Thumb perk and also how much time in a day they have. One of my Sims that had a full time career and low gardening skill could take care of 6 plants fairly easily and still have time to socialize and do her job requirements. I also went the other direction, a Sim with no job and 40 plants, and it took enough time that gardening was her job easily taking 6 odd hours a day to keep up with all the plant needs. But she still had time for other things.

The gardener is a really nice boon, on one of my high money families, they have a garden full of all the perfect food plants, plus all the Outdoor Retreat plants and a Gardener costs around $200 a day to tend them, but they have a high enough income that it's easy.

Also, a Gardening Club can come and help your sim out, just make sure to harvest before calling in the club, and they'll happily weed and water for free!
    1cf96556-e72a-4628-a805-602355bf82a0_zps9cde3287.png
  • YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    My Sim had maybe 25 plants and a job and it took them forever to garden and harvest everything in addition to getting job promotions and regular life. I like a challenge though.
    MissTrips wrote: »
    *waggles hands back and forth* It depends. On your Sims skill, whether or not they have the Super Green Thumb perk and also how much time in a day they have. One of my Sims that had a full time career and low gardening skill could take care of 6 plants fairly easily and still have time to socialize and do her job requirements. I also went the other direction, a Sim with no job and 40 plants, and it took enough time that gardening was her job easily taking 6 odd hours a day to keep up with all the plant needs. But she still had time for other things.

The gardener is a really nice boon, on one of my high money families, they have a garden full of all the perfect food plants, plus all the Outdoor Retreat plants and a Gardener costs around $200 a day to tend them, but they have a high enough income that it's easy.

Also, a Gardening Club can come and help your sim out, just make sure to harvest before calling in the club, and they'll happily weed and water for free!
    The super green thumb trait really has no bearing on how many plants that a sim can manage. None my sims have the super green thumb traits, and they do pretty well with managing more than 12 plants in their garden. Sure they'll spend most of their day tending to plants. But it's not the super green thumb that helps. It's how often that you keep the plant very happy that makes all the difference. If you keep the plants mood in the green for most of their life. The easier it is for your sim to maintain a whole lot of plants, and they get far better produce from that.

• SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    @sunman502 I was going to suggest the same thing. I learned the harvesting thing the hard way tho. I invited the Garden Gnomes to garden for me. I went in the house to watch tv and looked outside and saw they were stealing!! My Sim was like SHUT IT DOWN. Kicked all of them off of his property. He later invited one thief to live with him so he could get his stuff back but the plants weren't in his inventory... so he fed him to a cowplant. The end.
    edited March 2016
    SomeChick1 wrote: »
    @sunman502 I was going to suggest the same thing. I learned the harvesting thing the hard way tho. I invited the Garden Gnomes to garden for me. I went in the house to watch tv and looked outside and saw they were stealing!! My Sim was like SHUT IT DOWN. Kicked all of them off of his property. He later invited one thief to live with him so he could get his stuff back but the plants weren't in his inventory... so he fed him to a cowplant. The end.
    You can still have The Garden Gnomes to come over to maintain your garden for you. But to keep them from stealing any of the flowers or produce is just make sure that your sim harvest all the plants before they even get there.

• thegizkythegizky Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks all, so maybe a dozen plants per sim more or less... Same goes for the gardener?
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited March 2016
    If you have a stay at home gardener who has the Green Thumb reward (and yes this DOES make a huge difference due to weed growth slowing and watering needs lessening) your sim can easily manage 12 planters filled with 4 plants each and then a few fruit trees etc as well.

Been there, done that and easily in my dynasty so you can't post and tell me it can't be done as I've already done it. :neutral:

* edited The more you graft the smaller but more profitable your garden can become as well. Carl's Guide is probably the best. I won't relink to it seeing as the link is already there. Good luck with your gardening OP :)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    If you have a stay at home gardener who has the Green Thumb reward (and yes this DOES make a huge difference due to weed growth slowing and watering needs lessening) your sim can easily manage 12 planters filled with 4 plants each and then a few fruit trees etc as well.

Been there, done that and easily in my dynasty so you can't post and tell me it can't be done as I've already done it. :neutral:

* edited The more you graft the smaller but more profitable your garden can become as well. Carl's Guide is probably the best. I won't relink to it seeing as the link is already there. Good luck with your gardening OP :)
    I never had to use the green thumb trait at all to keep the weeds down in my garden.

• PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I've had one of each of the base game plants - 32 - and a couple of cow plants, and it was very difficult. If was a full time, all day job to keep up with it. The hired gardener would get through about half of it before quitting. It gets much more manageable if you graft them down into 10 or so plants. BTW, the gardener will not harvest or fertilize the plants, so even if you hire one, you still have work to do yourself.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ha! I was waiting for you to reply. Too bad green thumb makes it better! :p *edited Opps..sorry @Piperbird it looks like I was replying to you... lol this post was for @sunman502
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.