Hello, and welcome to the forums (for those of you who are new/haven't been here in a LONG while). I'm going to be breaking this up into three posts so that the first post will be all about the forums, and the second post will be all about WordPress basics, and the third all about WordPress customization. To go straight to the WordPress post, click here
! Need more guides, like downloading CC for the sims 3/4? Click here
!First, some side notes:
Now, let's get a little more in depth with this, shall we? Below is a picture labeled by numbers, which correspond with the numbers below.
- Anything on this site that is blue is a link/button, and clicking on it will take you somewhere else within the forums or pull up a drop-down menu. Sometimes, there are black links/buttons, and sometimes there are white links/buttons.
- These are the forum rules (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801207/updated-forum-rules#latest), and very useful to new forum users. I suggest you read them to make sure that your posts are within the rules.
- New members can not do the following: send private messages (but can receive and respond to them), post links or images, quote like members can (it just turns out like arrows), add signatures, or add a profile picture. To become a member, you need the following: 50 points, 30 posts, and an account that is older than 24 hours. This may be a bug, but old members who have been inactive for extended periods of time will also be considered new members, despite having the required points and posts.
- Let's start with the icons that are always at the top right of the screen, as shown in number 1. First, you have your profile username, next to an image. If you're a new member, then that image will just be of a green plumbob. Clicking on your username/profile picture will take you to your profile, which is what the big part of my picture shows. Directly to the right of your username are four little icons: a globe, an envelope, a star, and a gear. Each one of these pulls up a drop-down menu when clicked on. The globe shows your five most recent notifications. The envelope shows your five most recent private messages (Note: If you're a new member, then you cannot send messages. You can only receive and reply to messages). The star shows you your bookmarked threads (more on that in bullet 9). And finally, the gear allows you to change your preferences by clicking on preferences, which you can then use to modify notification preferences, to upload/remove a profile picture (members only), to edit the thumbnail (members only), to view your ignore list, to edit your quote settings, and to add/edit a signature (members only).
- Up at the top left are little buttons titled "Categories," "Discussions," "Activity" and "Best Of..." Clicking on the categories button will take you to the general sections for hosting threads (such as this one), which you can then go into in order to narrow the field of threads you see. The discussions button will take you to the most recent discussions, many of which are made by the Sim Gurus (AKA, moderators you go to when you need special help on the forums, like when you get caught in the spam filter for no legitimate reason...). The activity button will show you all the latest profile posts from the fellow simmers on the site. The "best of" button shows you what other simmers seem to really like.
- On your profile page, there are these four icons. In the simplest form, they are what other simmers think of your posts, both on threads and on your profile. More often than not, the likes will be used, hence why there are more likes than insightful or awesome.
- On your profile, below your profile picture, there are these six black buttons. Activity is what your profile will naturally go to, which shows all the activity posted onto your profile. The notifications button shows the same thing as the globe, but instead of five, it shows all of the notifications up to a certain number (in which you simply show more by hitting the "Next►" button. The discussions button shows all the threads that you have created, and which ones have new posts. The comments button will show you all of your comments up until a certain number, in which you can continue the same way as the notifications button. Your inbox shows the same thing as the envelope button does. Moderation, however, is the only one which I am not entirely sure what it does. Most likely, there won't be anything there.
- This is your text box, which shows up everywhere you can post a comment. There are a dozen (literally, I counted them) icons to format your text. Here is a brief overview of them, as some will most likely look very familiar. B = Bold. I = Italics. S = Strikethrough. 123*lines* = number list (like in this list). •*lines* = Bullet list. P| = paragraph styling, which you can quote somebody, code (which I've never used...), or make a spoiler (Warning, don't quote somebody's comment if it has a spoiler on it, unless you've already read it. Otherwise, it'll show the entire spoiler). ☺ = emojis. *chain* = link (which you can also do by typing [*url=][/url*] without the stars). *picture* = include image (Again, also can be done by typing [*img][/img*] without the stars). *lines* = paragraph styling (left, center, right). Then, at the bottom, you have the "share" button (posts it on your profile), the "preview" button (shows you what it will actually look like before posting it), the "save draft" button (saves whatever's in the box), and the "post comment" button (same as share, but posts it on the thread).
- This is just showing you what all badges you've earned so far on this site.
- This is a box on your profile showing you and all other simmers visiting your profile the information shown. Through this, you can see how many points, posts, badges, and visits you've made to the site. However, if you don't ever log out of the site, then the visits aren't exactly accurate...
- The numbers on top of threads show you how many pages are in that thread. To skip to any page, simply click on one of the numbers.
- Now, to bookmark a thread, simply click on the star here next to the numbers. Normally, it will be white if the thread is not bookmarked. Once it turns yellow, the thread is bookmarked, and the five most recently-posted on will show up in your star icon in number 1.
- Finally, below everybody's comments, there are these five icons. Flagging a comment is the same as reporting a comment. Quoting a comment copies everything in the comment and pastes it into your own comments box in BBCode format. Then, you have the three icons that basically tell the author of the comment that you enjoyed their post.
That's all for now on the quick guide to the forums. If you think I missed something important, let me know by leaving a comment below!