Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tweet the Gurus about toddlers on their "Day of Celebrating"

Comments

• HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    If you want toddlers and want them to be noticed or added, just boycott the game yourself eventually the money, sales and complaining will increase so bad that they'd probably just give in :joy:
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    allieb312 wrote: »
    That's a dumb idea. Sorry but they get enough crap about toddlers. It's there game. If they don't add them it's their mistake but Don't argue about it because they want to do what they think is best for the game.

And adding toddlers is what's best for their game, if fan reaction is anything to go by. But don't worry, since people are still buying the game, despite the fact that there are no toddlers, I hardly think EA is worried about losing money. Being silent about their vision is also not doing what's best for the game.

For the record, this thread is six months old. If fans did as the OP suggested and tweeted "toddlers" to the Guru's continuously, they were obviously ignored, which only goes to show how little EA cares about its customer base. And yes, we should argue about it to them. We're their customer base, and we're dissatisfied customers who paid good money to play this game. A lot of us feel like we didn't get our money's worth.

Eventually though, we'll stop arguing and it will seem like we're finally satisfied or have gotten used to the idea of no toddlers and even accepted it. But what it will really mean is that we've moved on and are no longer playing, let alone buying.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    poppykoke wrote: »
    If you want toddlers and want them to be noticed or added, just boycott the game yourself eventually the money, sales and complaining will increase so bad that they'd probably just give in :joy:

In reality, for every person who doesn't buy the base game there are at least 3 others who will. And I suspect all that will happen when the complaints increase and the sales decline, is that Maxis will drop the pc version of the Sims 4 like a hot potato and come up with a mobile/tablet version of The Sims similar to The Sims Freeplay, only it won't be based in real time, but it will be heavily quest based.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Amy327Amy327 Posts: 67 Member
    Okay I'm quite new to twitter so who do I need to tweet?
    I'm boycotting the GP, EP that doesn't include toddlers (patched or otherwise) I think I'm done. After being a hardcore sims after being introduced 15 years ago. Spending thousands of $$$ on base games, packs and even content on their website, I'm done. And you know what, not just about toddlers. It's the utter lack communication that really really upsets me.
    Actually the more I think about it, even if they added toddlers in tomorrow (which they won't) the damage has been done.
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

In reality, for every person who doesn't buy the base game there are at least 3 others who will. And I suspect all that will happen when the complaints increase and the sales decline, is that Maxis will drop the pc version of the Sims 4 like a hot potato and come up with a mobile/tablet version of The Sims similar to The Sims Freeplay, only it won't be based in real time, but it will be heavily quest based.

That's when Maxis becomes labelled a Mad Man and I'm sure no one is going to the phone app for Sims 4 or anything more, sims free play is just enough. That'd just be the end of the franchise... why would you continue supporting a franchise and there's well over tons of people for play in the game, but the play isn't added? instead they introduce," were limited, certain funds." then why develop this game? if you invest more then your sales would go up and you'd have enough money to fix your engine and the game. It's all business, they don't give no dam. Sims 3 got as much stuff on the 2nd going onto the 3rd year. Game lacks hell of bad.

My point is... your just saying deal with it because it might end the whole game? well Ig that's the case.

That's when Maxis becomes labelled a Mad Man and I'm sure no one is going to the phone app for Sims 4 or anything more, sims free play is just enough. That'd just be the end of the franchise... why would you continue supporting a franchise and there's well over tons of people for play in the game, but the play isn't added? instead they introduce," were limited, certain funds." then why develop this game? if you invest more then your sales would go up and you'd have enough money to fix your engine and the game. It's all business, they don't give no dam. Sims 3 got as much stuff on the 2nd going onto the 3rd year. Game lacks hell of bad.

My point is... your just saying deal with it because it might end the whole game? well Ig that's the case.

No, I'm not saying "deal with it", even though you think that's what I'm saying. What I AM saying is that realistically, a boycott won't work, since players keep buying the base game; either those players who couldn't afford it at the time of release, or waited until there was a sale, or new players who run across it online and decide to give it a go. Every one of those is a sale and money in EA's pocket.

And I'm also saying that EA's reaction isn't necessarily going to be: "Oops, we messed up, we'd better get to work on The Sims 5". If EA wants to move the game in another direction, then the decline in sales would be the perfect excuse for them saying that the fans have lost interest in the PC version so let's move on to the online mobile/tablet version. That's what I'm saying.

And you're right. If you want to make money, you have to be willing to spend money. EA needs to be willing to invest in this game if it wants the sales to go up and to see fans start liking the game again to the point where they're willing to spend the money on it again.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!

No, I'm not saying "deal with it", even though you think that's what I'm saying. What I AM saying is that realistically, a boycott won't work, since players keep buying the base game; either those players who couldn't afford it at the time of release, or waited until there was a sale, or new players who run across it online and decide to give it a go. Every one of those is a sale and money in EA's pocket.

And I'm also saying that EA's reaction isn't necessarily going to be: "Oops, we messed up, we'd better get to work on The Sims 5". If EA wants to move the game in another direction, then the decline in sales would be the perfect excuse for them saying that the fans have lost interest in the PC version so let's move on to the online mobile/tablet version. That's what I'm saying.

And you're right. If you want to make money, you have to be willing to spend money. EA needs to be willing to invest in this game if it wants the sales to go up and to see fans start liking the game again to the point where they're willing to spend the money on it again.

and I agree with you with straight common sense on the new comers. EA is just not willing anymore. It's sad to be honest.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Some of us are still boycotting--at least 500 of us in this forum. And honestly, it's not even boycotting! We're just not buying a game we don't want! Please don't assume that we're all idiots who feel compelled to buy stuff we don't like :angry: If the numbers of fans buying the game is high because the fans like TS4, then that works out for EA--and it might result in massive disappointment for us in the long run for having to sit out this entire iteration, but high sales sure don't mean players who dislike the game are being suckered.

EA isn't getting a dime from me until I get improved family play and toddlers. I don't even play this game anymore (playing TS2). When they deliver the game that I enjoy, I will buy all of the EPs and SPs and GPs, and I will throw my full support into the game. For me this is the whole point of being a squeaky wheel about the family play and toddler issues. After all, why complain if there is no chance whatsoever of TS4 (or TS5) successfully carrying on this franchise?
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member

Some of us are still boycotting--at least 500 of us in this forum. And honestly, it's not even boycotting! We're just not buying a game we don't want! Please don't assume that we're all idiots who feel compelled to buy stuff we don't like :angry: If the numbers of fans buying the game is high because the fans like TS4, then that works out for EA--and it might result in massive disappointment for us in the long run for having to sit out this entire iteration, but high sales sure don't mean players who dislike the game are being suckered.

EA isn't getting a dime from me until I get improved family play and toddlers. I don't even play this game anymore (playing TS2). When they deliver the game that I enjoy, I will buy all of the EPs and SPs and GPs, and I will throw my full support into the game. For me this is the whole point of being a squeaky wheel about the family play and toddler issues. After all, why complain if there is no chance whatsoever of TS4 (or TS5) successfully carrying on this franchise?

Unfortunately, you're helping to kill the series.

What has EA done in the past with video game series that lost a lot of sales? It's killed them. Most video game companies do that. It's easier to just drop a series than to try to figure out where it went wrong. So, most just kill a failing series.

What has EA done in the past with video game series that lost a lot of sales? It's killed them. Most video game companies do that. It's easier to just drop a series than to try to figure out where it went wrong. So, most just kill a failing series.

So be it. What's the point anyway lol.
    We're just going to keep getting limited, obviously a sign right there. Sims 3 should've made enough money to support Sims 4 at the least besides the pay they owe.
  • BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    i've seen a few comments like this before.. the "point" is that some of us like the game. or at least don't want to see the franchise die. :|

not saying anyone should buy the game if they don't want it - it's fine if you don't like the game, obviously. i just don't get the "if i can't have it, nobody can!" mentality some players have where they'd rather the game die than live on for those of us that do enjoy it.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    BOY wrote: »
    i've seen a few comments like this before.. the "point" is that some of us like the game. or at least don't want to see the franchise die. :|

not saying anyone should buy the game if they don't want it - it's fine if you don't like the game, obviously. i just don't get the "if i can't have it, nobody can!" mentality some players have where they'd rather the game die than live on for those of us that do enjoy it.

100% agree with this :)

Matthew.

We're just going to keep getting limited, obviously a sign right there. Sims 3 should've made enough money to support Sims 4 at the least besides the pay they owe.

Some of us would rather improve the series than kill it. Sims series is not the only one that has had a major misstep in its history. Just take a look at the Final Fantasy series. Luckily, if things go as I hope, Sims 5 will be a course correction... but only if it exists. If it doesn't, then congrats... you just ruined the series for everyone when you had a chance to fix it.

I've seen successful video game boycotts. They never get what they want.
    That's totally fine.
    Nothing against you all, at all. Simply just saying they really don't care now and won't care never.

So I'd rather just leave a game that's boring 30 minutes in and be more focused on the website forum of a pc game because it seems more satisfying. sad.

That's very saddening. 17 years almost spent on this game to get where.. a dam limitation? This has got be the most exhausting game ever just to get joy out of. Tbh, I'm just stating my opinion cause forums are here to be corporated into ideas and rethinking for gurus. Either they kick it up a notch or keep this game at," our tech is limited. limited funds."
    edited February 2016
    That's totally fine.
    Nothing against you all, at all. Simply just saying they really don't care now and won't care never.

So I'd rather just leave a game that's boring 30 minutes in and be more focused on the website forum of a pc game because it seems more satisfying. sad.

I have no problem with that. But you can't do it if your purpose is to cause change in a game. It never works.

That's very saddening. 17 years almost spent on this game to get where.. a dam limitation? This has got be the most exhausting game ever just to get joy out of. Tbh, I'm just stating my opinion cause forums are here to be corporated into ideas and rethinking for gurus. Either they kick it up a notch or keep this game at," our tech is limited. limited funds."

To that claim, I provide this answer: Stardew Valley. This is a game of limited tech (he's using sprites!), limited funds (entirely funded by donations), and a development team of one person. One. Person. And he still made a game that blows the entire Harvest Moon franchise out of the water. This is what one guy using a sprites from a publicly-available RPG Maker software, donations, and his own free time can do.

Whether they like it or not, it's guys like him who are setting the new benchmark. Because people are noticing how one single person can produce a sprite game that has more depth to it than any developer has managed in over a decade.

They have to step up their game for one simple reason: Their competition is no longer other video game makers. It's guys like him. And guys like him are perfectly happy to step up and take a slice out of their market share.

So, I too want the next game to be a smash hit... because if Sims 5 isn't, there likely won't be a Sims 6. Instead, we'll play some life simulator put together by a couple of guys in their basement after work and on the weekends.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    They have to step up their game for one simple reason: Their competition is no longer other video game makers. It's guys like him. And guys like him are perfectly happy to step up and take a slice out of their market share.

And guys like him are also perfectly aware that they are incapable of making a life simulator that directly competes against The Sims in any serious fashion, which is why no one is making them ;)
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    edited February 2016

Yes, you are. That's exactly what you're saying. You and Tanyarubirose. The implication here is that if we don't keep on throwing our money at Maxis and supporting TS4 by buying the DLC, we're just being selfish and killing the game for those who like it.

And by the way, this isn't an "If I can't have it, nobody can!" mentality. This is the realization that EA is just looking for an excuse to enter the mobile market with The Sims 4, or veer off in a different direction with this franchise. Either way, it involves online game play in some form and probably the usual play for free, but be prepared to spend real currency on premium content so you can get the perks of the game. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'm not obligated to keep this series alive. The Sims franchise is not my idol. It's a fun game that I play occasionally (at least the Sims 3 for the present), but I'm not obligated to spend any more money on Sims 4 DLC if I don't think it's worth it and it doesn't interest me.

It's very easy to blame the fans for the death of a franchise, but trust me....if this series goes down, it won't be because the fans refused to spend any money on it....it'll be because EA is trying to find an excuse to retire the series so it can present it in a way that it will earn even more money for them, and they won't have to put up with the negative feedback. Heck, even Sims Free Play just has a little itty bitty section here, and not its own forum. They're not obligated to put up a special forum for the new game either. If they want to hear from the fans, they've got Twitter and Facebook. I think it's obvious which social media platform they prefer. It sure as heck isn't this forum.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • SnuggieQueenSnuggieQueen Posts: 231 Member
    edited February 2016

Some of us would rather improve the series than kill it. Sims series is not the only one that has had a major misstep in its history. Just take a look at the Final Fantasy series. Luckily, if things go as I hope, Sims 5 will be a course correction... but only if it exists. If it doesn't, then congrats... you just ruined the series for everyone when you had a chance to fix it.

I don't understand how people can say that simmers who are unhappy with 4 and don't want to spend anymore money on it until it improves, are killing the game. That's incredibly silly. The Sims 4 isn't an investment in 5. It's its own product. And right now, I don't think it's worth spending money on. That's neither my fault, nor the fault of anyone else who feels like 4 isn't where it needs to be.

If the sims franchise dies, it's completely on EA and Maxis. Simple. We didn't ask for them to scrape a game together using parts from a failed online project and then give it a premium price. That was all them. When a company feels that transparency or interacting with their community on a frequent basis isn't a priority, it's their own fault for crashing and burning. No one else's. I refuse to take responsibility for a company's failure. Especially a company that's worth so much and has the resources to do better.

In my opinion, if this is how the sims franchise is going to be from here on out, it's no longer for me. You go ahead and support it. Maybe your money will be enough, maybe it won't. We won't know anything until 5... or the lack of.

Edit: @Jarsie9 Yes! Wonderfully put post. Thank you.
    elelunicy wrote: »

And guys like him are also perfectly aware that they are incapable of making a life simulator that directly competes against The Sims in any serious fashion, which is why no one is making them ;)

Nah. No one is making them because EA is sue-happy about their copyright. It's easier to just not make it than to spend years fighting EA in court. Especially since it's considered a niche market.

Yes, you are. That's exactly what you're saying. You and Tanyarubirose. The implication here is that if we don't keep on throwing our money at Maxis and supporting TS4 by buying the DLC, we're just being selfish and killing the game for those who like it.

Actually, not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that if you're intentionally boycotting the game to force it to improve, you are killing the game. Because, when successful, that's exactly how those boycotts don't turn out. It's a delayed purchase strategy that becomes a written-off sale. After all, they don't have to make the game; they can just cancel it and sit on the copyright for 75 years.

If you're just unhappy and not spending money, that's a different matter. That's a lost sale. And they make efforts to recover those.

It's a difference in response. The boycott path, if successful, leads to the spiteful approach of just killing the series and sitting on the copyright. Both sides are at fault for it, since both sides took actions that were intended to force the other to submit to their viewpoint. And the reason why it tends to fail? It's basically trying to threaten the company, using the threat of not making money.

I don't understand how people can say that simmers who are unhappy with 4 and don't want to spend anymore money on it until it improves, are killing the game. That's incredibly silly. The Sims 4 isn't an investment in 5. It's its own product. And right now, I don't think it's worth spending money on. That's neither my fault, nor the fault of anyone else who feels like 4 isn't where it needs to be.

If the sims franchise dies, it's completely on EA and Maxis. Simple. We didn't ask for them to scrape a game together using parts from a failed online project and then give it a premium price. That was all them. When a company feels that transparency or interacting with their community on a frequent basis isn't a priority, it's their own fault for crashing and burning. No one else's. I refuse to take responsibility for a company's failure. Especially a company that's worth so much and has the resources to do better.

In my opinion, if this is how the sims franchise is going to be from here on out, it's no longer for me. You go ahead and support it. Maybe your money will be enough, maybe it won't. We won't know anything until 5... or the lack of.

Edit: @Jarsie9 Yes! Wonderfully put post. Thank you.

Do you judge it against others of the series? Rate it against Sims 3 or Sims 2? If so, then congrats; you're not treating it like it is its own product and are treating it like it's part of a series. In which case, you would need to take your own advice, as otherwise your comment would be hypocrisy.

If you are judging it solely on its own merit, then okay. I'll concede that you do have a point. To a degree.

Unfortunately, video game companies don't treat games like Sims 4 as though they are their own product when it comes to a series. They treat it as part of a series. It's not just The Sims 4 that they're selling, but Sims as a whole. This is their newest take on that brand; they want it to succeed. And if the brand cannot at least make enough to continue... then it is a brand they milked enough and need to be rid of.

Now, how is it your responsibility as well? Because you're choosing to be part of the conflict leading to the failure. You're not just walking away from a product you dislike; you're actively telling a company you are not walking away from the product, but that you actively refuse to buy it until they do what you want. You've made yourself into a combatant of the company instead of a lost sale they need to court. Typically, with video game companies, this doesn't work out well; the combatants are usually ignored. Unless they are successful at killing sales, at which point the company gets its final revenge by simply sitting on the product copyright and suing anyone who tries to make a product that fills a similar niche and is close enough to that product. And, unfortunately, the law tends to be on their side on this one. And EA is one of the worse companies about this.

So, yeah. If you don't like it, just walk away, and come back if you see something you like later. But boycotting them? That's not going to help you. It never does. Because I know if I was a developer and saw you boycotting me for a feature, I would hold out on releasing that feature just to spite you. And I'm far less spiteful than EA is.
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member

No, no. That's EAs failing. Their vision. They are offering a game that is so limited that it doesn't appeals to the widest possible fan base.

I'm not supporting that kind of games. I won't pay for a bad game to fund a future game we know nothing about. And Maxis being moved under the purview of EA Mobile doesn't bode for a great TS5, does it?

No, no. That's EAs failing. Their vision. They are offering a game that is so limited that it doesn't appeals to the widest possible fan base.

I'm not supporting that kind of games. I won't pay for a bad game to fund a future game we know nothing about. And Maxis being moved under the purview of EA Mobile doesn't bode for a great TS5, does it?

Scroll down and read the rest of my comments.

My view on it is this: If you're boycotting the game, you are helping kill it. Because you are actively and intentionally engaging in an antagonistic relationship with EA where your wants are part of the list of demands for hostilities to cease. That never works out well.

If you walked away from the game because you don't like it? That's on EA for not managing to sell to you.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Totally agree.

I'm not financially supporting poor product just because I want a better sims game in the future. Because we all know how Maxis and EA have tried to use problems some people had with previous games to remove huge amounts of features and charge the same premum price for the product. Not fixing it.

Paying for TS4 just so you get a TS5 won't mean a better game at all. There clearly isn't loyalty to customers because of the state TS4 was shipped in. Why would TS5 be any better?!

As for mobile division. No it doesn't.
  • BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    "exactly" what i'm saying? mmm, no... it isn't. :expressionless: i'm not trying to imply anything, i'm not blaming the "death" of the franchise on anyone. i don't think it's dying. i basically just said i don't understand wishing death upon the franchise (verbally not fiscally, jeez), especially when there are a lot of fans still enjoying it.
    And by the way, this isn't an "If I can't have it, nobody can!" mentality. This is the realization that EA is just looking for an excuse to enter the mobile market with The Sims 4, or veer off in a different direction with this franchise. Either way, it involves online game play in some form and probably the usual play for free, but be prepared to spend real currency on premium content so you can get the perks of the game. It's just the nature of the beast.
    that's your opinion... and your opinion isn't the one i had anything to say about. your "realization" about EA eyeing the mobile market isn't what i was referring to when i said that. :|
    I don't understand how people can say that simmers who are unhappy with 4 and don't want to spend anymore money on it until it improves, are killing the game. That's incredibly silly.
    that isn't what i said. you misinterpreted my post.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!

Totally agree.

I'm not financially supporting poor product just because I want a better sims game in the future. Because we all know how Maxis and EA have tried to use problems some people had with previous games to remove huge amounts of features and charge the same premum price for the product. Not fixing it.

Paying for TS4 just so you get a TS5 won't mean a better game at all. There clearly isn't loyalty to customers because of the state TS4 was shipped in. Why would TS5 be any better?!

As for mobile division. No it doesn't.

Then don't financially support it. Just don't boycott it is all I'm saying. Be a lost sale instead; be the customer they want back, not the thorn in their side they try to ignore.