Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Expansion to Get?

Okay, so I'm wanting to add another expansion to my collection. So far I have all except for LN,IP,showtime and ambitions, but I'm leaning toward ambitions or LN. I'm usually a family player but I never have cared much about my Sims careers. I know LN comes with new interactions and bars,which I love.There's just so many good things about both lol. Which one would people recommend?

Comments

• grallonspheregrallonsphere Posts: 153 Member
    LN - for Bridgeport alone it's worth it.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I would go with Late Night, too.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • larrylove12larrylove12 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2016
    Personally I say late night, because I love the world it comes with so much BUT you should check out lazy game reviews on YouTube! He's really helpful when deciding what ep/sp to get :)

http://youtu.be/YWjTWl0oNLk
    http://youtu.be/3uyIXahNs08
    http://youtu.be/AiW1SLPrB5k
    http://youtu.be/MjD6MIbmGc8

tumblr_ogtd5r3cOT1s3ulybo1_400.gif
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    edited February 2016
    I would have to say LN too. Really love Bridgeport and the Studio rabbit hole.
    Edit for misspelling ;)
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited February 2016
    I would say if you like family play, but dont care too much about careers. Then Ambition would be a good one for you, your sims can be self employed painters, writers, gardeners. Which are all useful because your sims could be stay at home parents and get paid to do their hobbies. Ambition also adds new careers like interior designer and fireman and adds to the doctor career. All of these careers allow you to play with your sim at work.
    But if you do like clubs and night life, then I would recommend Late Night, it adds a new city world and allows your sims to live in apartments and become vampires or celebrities. It also adds several new musical instruments like drums and bass and your sims can be in a band.

Showtime basically compliments Night Life because it kind of expands on the ideas of Night Life. A lot of people think they should have been one expansion. Showtime adds a new world that seems like a Los Angeles type place. And your sims can be a singer, a magician or an acrobat. It adds new lots your sims can perform at, as well as karaoke machines and photo booths.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I'm not much into my sims' careers either. I typically use self-employed careers from Ambitions. That works out well for very large families since parents can pursue a career on their own terms. Ambitions also brings 2 new skills sims can use to support themselves (inventing and sculpting). Consignment stores offer a way to sell you sim's works for a really god profit.

LN is a pretty good EP and brings a lot of interactions. I like the musical instruments and the mixology skill and bars. I didn't care for the celebrity system though.

As for the worlds that come with each EP, Bridgeport can be fairly laggy. I thought Twinbrook played better. Both are fairly small, there's not much room for expansion. That being said, I though there were better housing options for families in Twinbrook than there is in Bridgeport. Neither is particularly great in that respect.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    If I had to uninstall either Late Night or Ambitions from my computer LN would be the one to go. I do like the musical instruments and a few of its features but they aren't part of my Sims' everyday lives. I use aspects of Ambitions in my game always, without fail. The only time I ever put a Sim into a rabbit hole career is if it's to do with their LTW or I just get tired of managing a large family and want a Sim or two out of my hair part of the time.

As for Bridgeport as a selling factor, it's not my style at all. I'm a country girl living out in the sticks where the biggest noise of the day (aside from equipment at a nearby dairy) is the roosters crowing. Most of my Sims live rural lives as well.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    If it's between Ambitions and Late Night that's tough call.

Ambitions was definitely a great addition because it added professions which are basically like active careers in TS4. With Ambitions you could choose 5 starting professions including firefighter, Architecture Designer, Ghost Hunter, Private Investigator and Stylist. There were also new skills like inventing,Sculpting and Tattooing (hidden). Of course there are new traits like Eco-Friendly or Savvy Sculptor. As others have mentioned there are now additions known as Skill Careers which basically allows your sims to be self-employed needing only their skills to get them promoted. And there's also the washer and dryers added which was new to the franchise at the time. Also there's a new small town known as Twinbrook. And small objects like time machines, trampolines, bake sales and my personal favorite Earthquakes!

Late Night was a very familiar theme if you came from TS2 or have ever played TS2 Night Life. In LN, sims were finally able to hit the town by going to an array of bars and lounges of different varieties. From Dive Bars to Sports Bars and from Vampire to Exclusive Lounges. Late Night also brought vampires back from their crypts which gives vampires a good amount of new interactions. LN offers some new content such as hot tubs, penthouses, celebrity system, skinny dipping, musical instruments such as drums or bass and zodiac signs. There are some new skills like the instruments and the mixology skill. Along with a new city of Bridgeport came collaborated lots. These were lots that were clustered together to save room (I'm assuming). Sims could also form bands, become movie stars or directors.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things I've left out cause they both offer a decent amount of content and new gameplay. But it boils down to what you really want. If you don't want to focus too much on sims careers then I'd go with Late Night. You're not going to find too much family play with either EP honestly.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • chocoruchocoru Posts: 61 Member
    I agree with everyone in choosing LN over AMB if you can only choose one over the other.

One of the good things I will like to highlight about AMB that was the main selling point for me was the ability to turn skills into self employment like becoming a writer, angler, etc. other than that the other jobs and things i didn't really care for and the world got so annoying (Twinbrook) with all the fog and lack of places for lots that I had to actually go in and edit the files just to make it playable.

Other than that LN not only gives you a better world but way better gaming interactions.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got all of the expansions installed and I use a game selector if I'm building for sharing and want to make sure it's base game only for more to be able to use it.I play my normal games with all of them activated and get no lag.I would choose whichever one my computer could handle if that was an issue or choose the one I want the most first and add the rest over time.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Late Night hands down - hot tubs! New musical instruments including a baby grand piano! Professional bars and mixology skill! So many things I cannot imagine having to do without, now that I am used to having them.
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Late Night hands down - hot tubs! New musical instruments including a baby grand piano! Professional bars and mixology skill! So many things I cannot imagine having to do without, now that I am used to having them.

A person doesn't need LN for hot tubs. I have at least a dozen in my game without it. :lol:
  • bloodsweatpirouettesbloodsweatpirouettes Posts: 11 New Member
    thanks everyone! I'm going with LN. I'll get Amb next time around. I should've added that my computer can handle almost anything, but due to being a young high school student my budget can only handle one more EP at a time :lol:
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I wish you had brought all three Sims 3 base game and Late night and High loft together. It was 19.99USD for all three of them.
  • bloodsweatpirouettesbloodsweatpirouettes Posts: 11 New Member
    > @james64468 said:
    > I wish you had brought all three Sims 3 base game and Late night and High loft together. It was 19.99USD for all three of them.

Where is that bundle if it's still available? I haven't bought anything yet
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited February 2016
    > @james64468 said:
    > I wish you had brought all three Sims 3 base game and Late night and High loft together. It was 19.99USD for all three of them.

Try either origin or Amazon. Or any retail store.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    > @james64468 said:

I got mine at Target. I got it because I wanted Late Night badly and I would also get High End Loft stuff with it. I'm glad I got it, because when I went to go install my game on a new computer, I realized I had lost the code for my original copy of the base game. I'm not a super-organized person. :lol:
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Ambitions is by far the most important of these EPs because it adds self-employed careers. Without Ambitions you can forget Supernatural (alchemist), IP (diver) or ITF (bot builder).
    Ambitions is by far the most important of these EPs because it adds self-employed careers. Without Ambitions you can forget Supernatural (alchemist), IP (diver) or ITF (bot builder).

That's my opinion too. Ambitions is one of those that supplements almost every other expansion pack.

Ah well, I think in the end it comes down to play style and some people no doubt enjoy elements of LN much more than I do. I do admit I have a strong fondness of the apartment system, being able to get all the NPCs tucked in nicely and all that.