Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Computer...

Hi everyone! :blush:

I just got a new computer after mine broke down, and I immediately downloaded The Sims, lol :D
Anyways.. I thought if you logged back into your Origin account, all of your game files would be saved?
Guess not......
we way too young to get old <3

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    Hello.
    Your save games and the creations that you have in your library are in the saves and trays folders that are in your sims 4 folder on your old computer.
    If you can still launch your old computer, make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your old computer that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then, play the Sims 4 game on your new computer once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    Unfortunately, no. You would have had to back up your saves on an external or usb drive and then transfer the save folder over to your new installation of the game. Saves are not stored on Origin, only on your PC. If you still are able to access your older computer you could grab your saves from there and transfer them. If not, sorry to say but the saves are gone. If you ever uploaded any of your Sims to the gallery you could still get them back that way.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Your game files are saved on your hard drive under C:\username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

If you still have access to your old computer, you can back up those files to a thumb drive or external hard drive to add to your new computer.

You will need to copy your Saves and Tray folder as the basics. If you've saved screen shots and added mods, you will need to back up your Screenshots and Mods folders as well. I can't remember if there's a Video folder as well, but if there is and it's something you used, you will want to copy that on over too.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited February 2016
    What broke at old computer?
    Maybe you could use the hard disk at new computer as a secundary disk
    Then copy folders from D to C

(maybe must change D with the letter assigned to old hard drive)
    edited February 2016
    leo3487 wrote: »

Depends on her computer. Worst case scenario (assuming her hard drive is still good and she doesn't know much about computers, or her new computer only allows space for 1 hard drive which is very common): She'd have to buy an empty external hard drive enclosure, pull the hard drive from the old computer and add it to the new empty enclosure. Then she'd have to plug it in and go from there. I'm just hoping she meant 'broke' in the most simplistic of terms most non tech-savvy people use it in. Meaning, her old computer is still accessible, albeit, painfully so.
    edited February 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Depends on her computer. Worst case scenario (assuming her hard drive is still good and she doesn't know much about computers, or her new computer only allows space for 1 hard drive which is very common)

You mean laptop? desktop have space at least for 3 disk
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Which is your new computer?

Could you link it?
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

Depends on her computer. Worst case scenario (assuming her hard drive is still good and she doesn't know much about computers, or her new computer only allows space for 1 hard drive which is very common)

I take it you haven't done much shopping. Many desktops (at cheapest level) don't allow much room (if any at all) for expansion.
    edited February 2016

I take it you haven't done much shopping. Many desktops (at cheapest level) don't allow much room (if any at all) for expansion.

It really depends on the case; some cheap off-the-shelf cases can have enough room for expansion.

Building your own or going with a custom retailer is a much better choice than off-the-shelf.

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
    edited February 2016
    Oh. @colton147147 it's a shame you're on my ignore list. I can't read a single word you said. But I know you posted (thanks to the forums inability to use the ignore function correctly). I can also tell you're jailed, which won't last long, because we all know it's wrongful jailing. I doubt I'm wrong in assuming you're asking the poster to post their dx, which will result in a ridiculously long post that you will not respond to afterwards. amiright?

Oh. Wait. Don't bother answering. I won't know the answer unless someone else quotes you!
    Oh. @colton147147 it's a shame you're on my ignore list. I can't read a single word you said. But I know you posted (thanks to the forums inability to use the ignore function correctly). I can also tell you're jailed, which won't last long, because we all know it's wrongful jailing. I doubt I'm wrong in assuming you're asking the poster to post their dx, which you will not respond to afterwards. amiright?

Nope.
    Oh. @colton147147 it's a shame you're on my ignore list. I can't read a single word you said. But I know you posted (thanks to the forums inability to use the ignore function correctly). I can also tell you're jailed, which won't last long, because we all know it's wrongful jailing. I doubt I'm wrong in assuming you're asking the poster to post their dx, which will result in a ridiculously long post that you will not respond to afterwards. amiright?

Oh. Wait. Don't bother answering. I won't know the answer unless someone else quotes you!

As for the last sentence...
    @SimGuruDrake
    @SimGuruBChick
    @SimStaffBethelle
  • olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member

Could you link it?

It's the new MacBook. http://www.apple.com/macbook/

Depends on her computer. Worst case scenario (assuming her hard drive is still good and she doesn't know much about computers, or her new computer only allows space for 1 hard drive which is very common): She'd have to buy an empty external hard drive enclosure, pull the hard drive from the old computer and add it to the new empty enclosure. Then she'd have to plug it in and go from there. I'm just hoping she meant 'broke' in the most simplistic of terms most non tech-savvy people use it in. Meaning, her old computer is still accessible, albeit, painfully so.

When I say 'broke' I mean the mouse is dysfunctional and cannot click on anything properly, and the keyboard doesn't type the correct keys. Is that enough info?
    olyanaesme wrote: »

Could you link it?

It has no type of cooling (no fan); you can risk damaging the Macbook since gaming will need proper cooling to it. :)

When I say 'broke' I mean the mouse is dysfunctional and cannot click on anything properly, and the keyboard doesn't type the correct keys. Is that enough info?

Have you tried connecting a external keyboard and mouse?
    You'll also need a cooling pad...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005C31HC0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1456042496&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=cooler+master+cooling+pad

Look at either Cooler Master, Thermaltake, or Zalman cooling pads. :)
    edited February 2016

Could you link it?

You see... a laptoop. Is what I meant also @Colton147147 afirm and help me. Desktop here have for 3 or 4 disk. And right, is much better (and cheaper) custom made or made by a local pc vendor

EDIT; Just read than old laptop works (but no keyboard and mouse)
    Get an USB Keyboard, copy Doocuments \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 4 folder to an external drive (here at Argentinawe call them pendrive, I guess you figure what I mean), and copy to same location at new laptop
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Hate it when a computer breaks down suddenly and I haven't backed up needed files. If the old computer is bad as it sounds, then it will be a lot of work and trouble to get the files transferred. I would just start fresh.

@Colton147147 You are one of the nicest people on this board. I was annoyed with you at first thanks to your "You can do anything your heart desires with Sims 4" posts, but I just take it as your sense of humor nowadays. I've yet to see you utter a disparaging remark towards anyone which is quite commendable.
    edited February 2016
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Could you link it?

It has no type of cooling (no fan); you can risk damaging the Macbook since gaming will need proper cooling to it. :)

Just because it doesn't have a fan doesn't mean it will damage the MacBook.
    edited February 2016

Can you use an external mouse and/or keyboard?

I had the mouse go on one of my old macbooks and I couldn't use an external one because the built-in mouse had a mind of its own, but if you can access yours fine with the external ones, I'd quickly go in and grab those files I mentioned earlier and save them to a thumb drive or external hard drive so you can put them on your new system. On the not-so-bright side, it cost me $80 at the Apple store to fix. Might be worth a shot for you to look into. Then you could at least pass it on to a family member or friend after you've gotten everything you need from it.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited February 2016

Could you link it?

Just because it doesn't have a fan doesn't mean it will damage the MacBook.

Best place to ask for Mac assistance is the mac section but they do not recommend gaming on a mac that has no cooling system

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/813226/can-my-mac-run-the-sims-4-answers-can-be-found-here#latest