Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family Dissapeared?!

teenagechaossteenagechaoss Posts: 52 Member
I got the sims 2 UC off of origin a little while back. I had playing this new family for about a good week with no problems. Went to go on today and the family just dissapeared?! The neighbourhood still had the vacation destinations and downtown installed (I installed them when I started) but the townie that I was married too was back living with her sister. Any ideas on what happened and if I can restore it back to the last save ?!
Thanks !

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    Well, there may be one thing here:
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption
    Did you do any of these things in the list in that page. (Deleting gravestone, deleting sims from family bin...) If you did, there may be your problem.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    It's possible the town got corrupt somehow...that happened to mine a few years ago sims kept disappearing in Belladonna Cove.

I'm not saying that's what happened to yours, and I don't know enough about it to suggest other causes.

However if that's the case the only way to "get back to a past save" is if you had a backup of the entire neighborhoods folder.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    There's a hood checker on MTS that can sometimes restore a town if it's not too corrupted.I had one refuse to even load and that tool fixed it up and made it load again.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    Hoodchecker couldn't save mine. Worth a try though definitely.
  • teenagechaossteenagechaoss Posts: 52 Member
    I tried playing on a different neighbourhood thinking maybe (just maybe) it was just hood corruption and not game corruption. After one save, my family went missing in that hood too. Thinking it might have something to do with the game, so I've decided to just uninstall and reinstall to see if that changes anything. Really hope this works!!
    Yeah, I think it's unlikely that multiple neighborhoods would be corrupt. Let us know what happens!
    Well, it finally reinstalled again. All the pre made townie family's that are in the bin, aren't there still, they've just dissapeared! I currently made and placed a random family into a house to see if they're still there when I reload, but I did notice that when I loaded up the game again, the neighbourhood already had the downtown and vacation places installed.. Like it just took my old files and rebooted. Not sure if that has anything to do with it ?
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hm. Are you playing on PC or Mac?

If it's PC, I'm thinking your documents folder may have remained intact during the uninstall and re-installation of your game. This is odd, actually. The same issue may be taking place if you're on Mac. Again, it's still odd behaviour for either machine.

Please try this (if you're on PC):
    • Delete the sims 2 folder in your documents folder
    • Reboot the game
    • Does the scenario still exist?

If so, there may be an even bigger issue.

Have you installed your own RAM? within the last 6months to a year
    Have you added (more) RAM? Within the last 6 months to a year
    How old is your machine?
    Do you live in an area with many lightening storms, power surges, etc?
    Is your machine behaving oddly in other areas, etc?
    These are all things to think about. I'll go into more detail if deleting your folder from your documents doesn't solve your issue.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    Kremesch to the rescue!

This reminds me of when I tried to install ts1 on my windows 8 laptop. Worked fine for about two weeks and then all of my progress seemingly vanished but only on every other playthrough. Was buggy as plum!
    cleo00 wrote: »
    Kremesch to the rescue!

This reminds me of when I tried to install ts1 on my windows 8 laptop. Worked fine for about two weeks and then all of my progress seemingly vanished but only on every other playthrough. Was buggy as plum!

Heh. The only time S1 ever went buggy on me was when I originally thought it would be a good idea to have a sim invite all the townies into his pool and take the ladder away.

Turned out it wasn't such a good idea after all. That lot was forever unplayable from that point onward.
    [quote="kremesch73;14584398"]Hm. Are you playing on PC or Mac?

If it's PC, I'm thinking your documents folder may have remained intact during the uninstall and re-installation of your game. This is odd, actually. The same issue may be taking place if you're on Mac. Again, it's still odd behaviour for either machine.

Please try this (if you're on PC):
    [list]
    [*] Delete the sims 2 folder in your documents folder
    [*] Reboot the game
    [*] Does the scenario still exist?
    [/list]

If so, there may be an even bigger issue.

Have you installed your own RAM? within the last 6months to a year
    Have you added (more) RAM? Within the last 6 months to a year
    How old is your machine?
    Do you live in an area with many lightening storms, power surges, etc?
    Is your machine behaving oddly in other areas, etc?
    These are all things to think about. I'll go into more detail if deleting your folder from your documents doesn't solve your issue. [/quote]

I have a pc, and it's a laptop. I've installed the game before and played it fine when i first got to the ultimate collection. I uninstalled it to play the sims 4 for a while and just recently installed it again. I will try deleting the folder and rebooting the game to see what happens!!
    However,
    I haven't done anything new to my laptop, a month or so ago I restored my laptop to factory settings because I was wanting to start from scratch as it was becoming laggy. It's about a 2009-2010 computer I think, HP. I can't remember exactly how old it is. It's winter where I live right now and so there is no thunderstorms but I've never had any issues with my pc as it runs Sims 4 perfectly fine!

I will try deleting the folder today and try again. Although I did notice that when I first installed the game there is two Ea games that both contain the sims 2 ultimate collection expect for one of them contains all the folders and stuff and the other one is empty! Not sure if that is normal or not!
    edited February 2016
    I will try deleting the folder today and try again. Although I did notice that when I first installed the game there is two Ea games that both contain the sims 2 ultimate collection expect for one of them contains all the folders and stuff and the other one is empty! Not sure if that is normal or not!

This could very well be the issue (confusing the game). Move both of those folders to your desktop (for backup purposes), and make sure you have no Sims 2 folders in your Documents. Then try the game.
    @kremesch73 well I removed both files to the desktop as you told me too, booted up the game and as I clicked onto the neighbourhood I wanted, (which I was previously playing in) it started to load the neighbourhood and started installing all the extra packs to the neighbourhood!! I will make a family and place them into a house and save, and hope, that when I come back to play, they will still be there !! I will keep you posted ! Thanks so much for the help thus far :)
    Best of luck to you. Please let me know if it works out for you. I know how frustrating frustrations can be.