Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you guys sure that you really want toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    For those who simply don't like toddlers, at least in other versions(I haven't played Sims4 much because there are no toddlers) you can adjust the length of time for each life stage; so if you love toddlers as I do, they can live a long and happy playful life, or if you hate them, they can have birthday after birthday and become adults in mere days. For those of us who love them, though; let us be able to have them and enjoy this game. Until then, it simply isn't enjoyable and I refrain from playing it until my couples can raise their babies from useless and boring lumps into cute toddlers.

Are you suggesting that people who hate toddlers play Sims 3 so they can shorten the lifespan to nothing? O.o

That's not how it worked for me at all toddlers got me interested in buying Sims 3 merely for looking at cute toddler pics :)
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I want toddlers. Period. I play TS4 from time to time, but I'm still waiting for toddlers. (Ts3 is not my fav, so I'm usually playing Ts2 for my toddler and general family play.)

For me, toddlers would be a sign that more things from previous base games may be added in the future.

Of course, toddlers is not the end all. Of course, there are still issues. It's like any other content.

However, toddlers are an important and touchy issue, because they represent big changes and a change of direction or mindset in this recent iteration.

For example: If they start charging for toddlers in this iteration, what other base game content would they charge for, whether it's this iteration or next iteration? If we start accepting a huge base game change/omission, then what else can EA/Maxis take away from us in the next iteration?

I want my freak'in toddlers. I will not stop asking for them, no matter how much others (especially toddler haters) want to shut us (pro-toddler peeps) up.

I will not shut up (or be shut down by distracting arguments).

(The moment it's confirmed that toddlers will never come to ts4 is the moment when I boycott future EA/Maxis content. Including their other series, like Mass Effect/Dragon Age, of which I've also been a fan of. I would be sad, but that's how important stuff like toddlers is to me.)

Yeah If people expect to have to pay for it. They keep taking away from our base game till their is very little in base game.
  • Options
    StaceyCarverStaceyCarver Posts: 38 Member
    For those who simply don't like toddlers, at least in other versions(I haven't played Sims4 much because there are no toddlers) you can adjust the length of time for each life stage; so if you love toddlers as I do, they can live a long and happy playful life, or if you hate them, they can have birthday after birthday and become adults in mere days. For those of us who love them, though; let us be able to have them and enjoy this game. Until then, it simply isn't enjoyable and I refrain from playing it until my couples can raise their babies from useless and boring lumps into cute toddlers.

Are you suggesting that people who hate toddlers play Sims 3 so they can shorten the lifespan to nothing? O.o

You obviously didn't understand that which I plainly stated. I suggested that it be an option for TS4 so that those not interested in playing toddlers, or any stage, at its normal duration have the option to edit it to their liking -- longer or shorter as they wish; maybe even off entirely. For some this is ideal, and I think for most players, it's something that would be most appreciated. At least if they'd provide us the stages, then we could have the option that suites us and our preferences.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

You obviously didn't understand that which I plainly stated. I suggested that it be an option for TS4 so that those not interested in playing toddlers, or any stage, at its normal duration have the option to edit it to their liking -- longer or shorter as they wish; maybe even off entirely. For some this is ideal, and I think for most players, it's something that would be most appreciated. At least if they'd provide us the stages, then we could have the option that suites us and our preferences.

They already did with the previous games. You could age up at any time with the cake, allowed you to choose as you saw fit.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member

You were kinda unclear as to what you wanted with how it was worded. I don't think I was the only one who misunderstood, given the reply I got.

As Sparklefairy pointed out, the birthday cake allowed for control of this even when the sliders did not exist. Just add that in and it's dealt with.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    They could also just add the option to instantly "Age Up", just like the TS4 babies did (I think?)...?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    StaceyCarverStaceyCarver Posts: 38 Member

They already did with the previous games. You could age up at any time with the cake, allowed you to choose as you saw fit.

That is what I am referring to. Give us this as an option along with other life stages for TS4, then let the players decide if they want to utilize those stages, and how. Additionally, if you don't want an entire stage, place a toggle in the setting menu to allow you to skip it entirely. This way, those of us who want toddlers can have them and those who wish to skip this stage, can. Additionally, if you like to keep them for the sake of following nature's course, let them adjust the duration of that stage; and if they wish to speed a child up, as I had with a set of children once(oddly born a day apart due to some glitch) you can use a birthday cake to adjust their age to your liking.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

You were kinda unclear as to what you wanted with how it was worded. I don't think I was the only one who misunderstood, given the reply I got.

As Sparklefairy pointed out, the birthday cake allowed for control of this even when the sliders did not exist. Just add that in and it's dealt with.

I understood what she meant :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    What I don't get is that nobody complained about this during TS2's reign and most will still agree that is the best game standing to this day. You'll find toddlers in that.
    That has baffled me since I first saw people claiming they're happy toddlers weren't included. Where were these people who hate toddlers during Sims 2's run? Why didn't they stick with Sims 1 if they hated toddlers? Where were all those complaints about toddlers being boring, useless, time-consuming, and so on in 2004?

I think with TS2, most people accepted toddlers as part of the 'new' gameplay and so they managed with them but I myself did find them a burden, having to get the skilled up was a chore and was one of those 'grinds' that slowed down gameplay.

Now when TS3 came out I found toddlers much easier to deal with, I even have a great shortcut for skill building with them and in fact I felt that I could work through the life stage my way. There was no object baby growing straight to a child, things felt very much real to me but with out too much hassle. Other's might disagree and state they preferred TS2 toddlers more.

You could say the same for the Open World concept. A few hate it, a lot do like it but I think it was after the announcement of TS4 a few of those who didn't like the Open World much then realised that they might be better suited to TS4 as there was no Open World where as before they merely put up with it.

In some cases, you don't always know how much you hate something until it is gone.
    Same could be said for liking something. I did like the open world, but I thought I could readjust without it. I was very wrong.

That's another reason why I don't fancy moving on from TS3. I don't want to put myself though all of that 'it is not the same as it used to be plum' again as I have felt with games before

:disappointed:

So, again, why was the point of this thread?

I think people need to stop lookin at toddlers as a giant burden. They're not. They're a crucial part of the game if it really wants to achieve life simulation. The same could also be said for the child stage; does nothing but go to school, do homework (which by the time when done, fun is usually drained) if they miss the homework they get bad grades resulting in a possibility of the social worker taking them away, not to mention any other child or teen on the lot.

Shall they remove children too, then. If anything is a burden, those are.

--T

Luckily in TS3 I have developed a tactic for dealing with homework. No mods are really needed but I can take advantage of the Overwatch mod. In this case when kids get home from school I let them do what they want but I as a rule, never play families during the night-time. I get the kids to watch TV and then select them to do their homework next.

They will not cancel the watching TV interaction though unless the TV is turned off. I then play another household and then, at 3.00am all TVs are switched off with the Overwatch mod which means the kids from the previous household will then do their homework.

When I return to play them the next day, their home work is done :smile:

Fair enough but you're kind of missing the point.

And one shouldn't have to mod their game to be able to play it the way they want. Modding should enhance gameplay, not fix the developers carelessness. Imo

--T
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

That is what I am referring to. Give us this as an option along with other life stages for TS4, then let the players decide if they want to utilize those stages, and how. Additionally, if you don't want an entire stage, place a toggle in the setting menu to allow you to skip it entirely. This way, those of us who want toddlers can have them and those who wish to skip this stage, can. Additionally, if you like to keep them for the sake of following nature's course, let them adjust the duration of that stage; and if they wish to speed a child up, as I had with a set of children once(oddly born a day apart due to some glitch) you can use a birthday cake to adjust their age to your liking.

Exactly, @StaceyCarver ! Give us options! (Like the past Sims games have in some aspects in the past.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Well, as I told the OP earlier, this whole discussion is moot, because from the looks of it, Maxis is in no particular hurry to add them back into the game. The optimal time to have added them in would have been within the first six months of the game launch, and before Outdoor Retreat was released.

Now, with the release of two expansion packs and a second game pack, not to mention numerous stuff packs, adding them in would be more problematical, as you'd have to allow room for toddlers to be useful in the other game pack interactions. For example, can you take a toddler on vacation? How about to a retail shop? They could probably be taken to the park, provided they weren't confined to the house, though.

All in all, it seems like too much hassle for very little reward, even if the life stage is limited to only 3 days. And since the game apparently is still be supported by fans throwing their money at Maxis for the never-ending DLC, I don't see Maxis in any great hurry to put them back in.

Your mileage may vary.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Well, as I told the OP earlier, this whole discussion is moot, because from the looks of it, Maxis is in no particular hurry to add them back into the game. The optimal time to have added them in would have been within the first six months of the game launch, and before Outdoor Retreat was released.

Now, with the release of two expansion packs and a second game pack, not to mention numerous stuff packs, adding them in would be more problematical, as you'd have to allow room for toddlers to be useful in the other game pack interactions. For example, can you take a toddler on vacation? How about to a retail shop? They could probably be taken to the park, provided they weren't confined to the house, though.

All in all, it seems like too much hassle for very little reward, even if the life stage is limited to only 3 days. And since the game apparently is still be supported by fans throwing their money at Maxis for the never-ending DLC, I don't see Maxis in any great hurry to put them back in.

Your mileage may vary.

Coasting down the street in my Toyota Prius...
    I'm positive this next expansion will be it. I'm sure of it. I'll archived this comment and copy/paste it in a new post come June/July timeframe. If I'm wrong, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring to call it quits.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Coasting down the street in my Toyota Prius...
    I'm positive this next expansion will be it. I'm sure of it. I'll archived this comment and copy/paste it in a new post come June/July timeframe. If I'm wrong, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring to call it quits.
    Get your hat ready then lol.

I think I must be trying to jump-start an old Lada with a flat battery and only two wheels.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    What I don't get is that nobody complained about this during TS2's reign and most will still agree that is the best game standing to this day. You'll find toddlers in that.
    That has baffled me since I first saw people claiming they're happy toddlers weren't included. Where were these people who hate toddlers during Sims 2's run? Why didn't they stick with Sims 1 if they hated toddlers? Where were all those complaints about toddlers being boring, useless, time-consuming, and so on in 2004?

I think with TS2, most people accepted toddlers as part of the 'new' gameplay and so they managed with them but I myself did find them a burden, having to get the skilled up was a chore and was one of those 'grinds' that slowed down gameplay.

Now when TS3 came out I found toddlers much easier to deal with, I even have a great shortcut for skill building with them and in fact I felt that I could work through the life stage my way. There was no object baby growing straight to a child, things felt very much real to me but with out too much hassle. Other's might disagree and state they preferred TS2 toddlers more.

You could say the same for the Open World concept. A few hate it, a lot do like it but I think it was after the announcement of TS4 a few of those who didn't like the Open World much then realised that they might be better suited to TS4 as there was no Open World where as before they merely put up with it.

In some cases, you don't always know how much you hate something until it is gone.
    Same could be said for liking something. I did like the open world, but I thought I could readjust without it. I was very wrong.

That's another reason why I don't fancy moving on from TS3. I don't want to put myself though all of that 'it is not the same as it used to be plum' again as I have felt with games before

:disappointed:

So, again, why was the point of this thread?

I think people need to stop lookin at toddlers as a giant burden. They're not. They're a crucial part of the game if it really wants to achieve life simulation. The same could also be said for the child stage; does nothing but go to school, do homework (which by the time when done, fun is usually drained) if they miss the homework they get bad grades resulting in a possibility of the social worker taking them away, not to mention any other child or teen on the lot.

Shall they remove children too, then. If anything is a burden, those are.

--T

Luckily in TS3 I have developed a tactic for dealing with homework. No mods are really needed but I can take advantage of the Overwatch mod. In this case when kids get home from school I let them do what they want but I as a rule, never play families during the night-time. I get the kids to watch TV and then select them to do their homework next.

They will not cancel the watching TV interaction though unless the TV is turned off. I then play another household and then, at 3.00am all TVs are switched off with the Overwatch mod which means the kids from the previous household will then do their homework.

When I return to play them the next day, their home work is done :smile:

Fair enough but you're kind of missing the point.

And one shouldn't have to mod their game to be able to play it the way they want. Modding should enhance gameplay, not fix the developers carelessness. Imo

--T
    I tried to play a good-for-nothing once who never did his homework in Sims 3. I'm sure it can be done, when you keep watching the little rascal like a hawk, but since I didn't I constantly found him at school with a big smiley. At some point he had always managed to do his homework when I wasn't looking :weary: You really don't need mods for that. And when you buy them a tablet, they make homework in no time and even enjoy it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I know just add a toggle to skip having the baby, (just give them a fully grown adult Sim child) a toggle to skip child, teen, YA, Adult and just move on to elder right out of the crib. Isn't that fuN? o:)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

Your mileage may vary.

This is exactly why I lost all hope for toddlers - and I gave them almost a year. But as soon as they announced Get Together as the next EP, instead of something family-related with toddlers, that's when I threw in the towel.

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I know just add a toggle to skip having the baby, (just give them a fully grown adult Sim child) a toggle to skip child, teen, YA, Adult and just move on to elder right out of the crib. Isn't that fuN? o:)

Or maybe you cold really spice things up and have elders growing straight to teens and then babies that grow to you adults who die of old age?

*weirder stories*

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    pupunikpupunik Posts: 62 Member
    @Jarsie9 His vision of the babies and really técnica.Digo, you understand of Business however, a matter ah, the target audience of the maxis.
    If she sees a huge amount of complaints and soon after decided to say ... that will not fit right, it loses money and a lot of money.
    Now speak about economy, we have a large amount of people wanting something why not explore?
    imagine how SP could be launched with a focus on toddlers?
    I give a very large return.
     I Particularly, I think they are being a bit silly that to ignore them.
    even if it lasts just 3 days still many love this stage.
    PS: in the sim free play has them and many love the interactions, childcare, toys, etc ..
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2016

Your mileage may vary.
    I tend to believe your theory more because it would have also been better to write them in at the beginning as well when Sims 4 was fresh and now to add them in no telling what effect they would have on the whole system because if they can't give any features that involves altering the engine after the game was released and toddlers while a life stage is not an item and they may see this as too difficult to work with at this stage. Items are no brainers they can be worked in because it is not an feature and does not require hardly any computing power or resources. My gut feeling is that most features that most want will not surface until Sims 5 and that is if it transpires.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    gmomasuegmomasue Posts: 648 Member
    I think Maxis and the Sims team are not fare . they need to add them and free babies to Sims 4.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    pupunik wrote: »
    @Jarsie9 His vision of the babies and really técnica.Digo, you understand of Business however, a matter ah, the target audience of the maxis.
    If she sees a huge amount of complaints and soon after decided to say ... that will not fit right, it loses money and a lot of money.
    Now speak about economy, we have a large amount of people wanting something why not explore?
    PS: in the sim free play has them and many love the interactions, childcare, toys, etc ..

I would reply to you in Spanish, but then I'd have to translate it, so here goes in English...

It doesn't matter how many fans want toddlers, because Maxis knows that the fans will continue to buy the game without them. And the fact that Sims Free Play has toddlers means nothing. The Sims Free Play is being made by a different studio, not by Maxis. And it's also a different game with a different game engine.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member

I would reply to you in Spanish, but then I'd have to translate it, so here goes in English...

It doesn't matter how many fans want toddlers, because Maxis knows that the fans will continue to buy the game without them. And the fact that Sims Free Play has toddlers means nothing. The Sims Free Play is being made by a different studio, not by Maxis. And it's also a different game with a different game engine.
    I agree.
    I think the reason people continue to buy expansions despite the fact it may not contain exactly what they want falls under the pretense of hope.
    "...perhaps they'll come out with it next time... I will just buy this to occupy my time.."

But we tend to forget that there are other big features missing. There are other things simmers want besides toddlers-- like restaurants or cars. We can't all say it'll never happen just because we don't have it yet. I remember when Sims 2 University came out, people were all upset that we didn't get cars. Someone found a leaked picture of a car in a driveway (Studio Fire Story) shortly after the base game was released and believed the first EP would contain them. When they didn't come, people right away were saying we would never have our own cars. "...not possible!..its just staged! Told you so!.." They said. Sure enough the next EP was Nightlife. They hear us loud and well. I can assure you.

~On another note
    Though I am annoyed, their tactic is actually pretty smart. Releasing all this single sim stuff/party themed hooha. Look around on the gallery, the preteen crowd is eating this up. EA knows darn well that those of us who want something the past iterations had will still stick around-- by either buying their SPs, GPs still (like you said yourself) or coming here to complain about it (like I do). lol.

Everyone knows that a persistent critic is your biggest fan.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member

Just for this alone, I wish I could click both Awesome and Insightful.

But, yeah, video game companies know the score when it comes to success: It isn't that players complain about the game that measures success. It's how many people are complaining.
  • Options

I agree.
    I think the reason people continue to buy expansions despite the fact it may not contain exactly what they want falls under the pretense of hope.
    "...perhaps they'll come out with it next time... I will just buy this to occupy my time.."

But we tend to forget that there are other big features missing. There are other things simmers want besides toddlers-- like restaurants or cars. We can't all say it'll never happen just because we don't have it yet. I remember when Sims 2 University came out, people were all upset that we didn't get cars. Someone found a leaked picture of a car in a driveway (Studio Fire Story) shortly after the base game was released and believed the first EP would contain them. When they didn't come, people right away were saying we would never have our own cars. "...not possible!..its just staged! Told you so!.." They said. Sure enough the next EP was Nightlife. They hear us loud and well. I can assure you.

~On another note
    Though I am annoyed, their tactic is actually pretty smart. Releasing all this single sim stuff/party themed hooha. Look around on the gallery, the preteen crowd is eating this up. EA knows darn well that those of us who want something the past iterations had will still stick around-- by either buying their SPs, GPs still (like you said yourself) or coming here to complain about it (like I do). lol.

This is the best and most thought out reply this thread has had all week :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I agree.

~On another note

You are comparing incompatible things because cars are easy to add to a game. They could even be added just as a small part of a SP. Toddlers on the other hand would be (at least) a full GP (even without other content). So cars might even be added as free content. Toddlers probably won't be added at all because EA thinks that a toddler GP won't sell as well as other GPs usually do.

The game is primarily made for 12 to 15 years old preteens and teens. You can see this in the way they talk to us when they announce new content in the videos and in the kind of humor they use in the game. They know that almost everybody in this forum is much older. But they also know (from their surveyance of the market) that 12 to 15 years olds buy the game even though they don't use this forum. So I am sure that they watch these young simmers and know that they still like the game - which is what matters most to EA.