Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TV channels scrambling...

Comments

• MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    I mostly play on speed 2 - and I absolutely hate it when the tv scrambles. It's a total farce, I wish they would just put it back to how it was, then anyone playing on any speed can see what is going on on the tv.

The other new thing I hate is that every time someone's phone rings is that it immediately slows the speed down to speed 1, regardless of what is happening.

To me these two changes are the most annoying they have made in the recent patch. We should be able to play on the speed we want - we've paid for the game!!!!
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2016
    I mostly play on speed 2 - and I absolutely hate it when the tv scrambles. It's a total farce, I wish they would just put it back to how it was, then anyone playing on any speed can see what is going on on the tv.

The other new thing I hate is that every time someone's phone rings is that it immediately slows the speed down to speed 1, regardless of what is happening.

To me these two changes are the most annoying they have made in the recent patch. We should be able to play on the speed we want - we've paid for the game!!!!

This is another thing that annoys me, but it was something I was starting to get used to. The TV is having the opposite affect on me. I half hoped it would get fixed (both issues), but it's starting to look like it won't since this is how Maxis wants me to play my game now. I'm very close to rage uninstalling. Part of me wants to wait to see what will happen with the next patch, and the other half of me is so frustrated with the last few patches that I'm not sure why I just don't go ahead and do it.
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    SimGuruGraham shared this on twitter today. LOL Proof they can't win, poor guys! hahaha
    CYjVfOiUAAAkpMJ.jpg

Would be a little more convincing if the person who wrote they love it, wasn't one of the staff for a sim's fansite that never acknowledges the games shortcomings or problems.

I still hate it. It worked just fine before, and imo it's a waste of resources to do this. It doesn't add realism, or fun, it adds some unrealistic cartoony tv scrambling that reminds me of a 90's children's show. I can think of plenty of small scale changes the team could work on instead of wasting their development time on things that don't even improve the game.

This.

Literally SimsVIP is so biased. They've threatened to ban people in the comment section for posting critique about the game.

The thing is that The SimsVIP doesn't sit around all day comparing 4 to 3 and and tearing apart every the gurus say or do, unlike many people on these forums. They focus on what's being changed or added in the game, they are not a place for negativity. If one of their authors likes the new fast forward feature, then that's their opinion.

What does TS3 have to do with this?

The staff in the comment section is mainly what I'm referring to. It's like walking on eggshells down there.

Just because that's what they think doesn't mean they can force it on others. They deleted a whole bunch of tweets about "negative" players that got them in trouble.

When exactly did this happen? The only time I've seen them threatening to ban someone was when some person said that they were getting paid off by Maxis and EA to make positive reviews about the game.

It was during the infamous toddler announcement. The comments were all critique and they were threatening to ban people.

When they said toddlers weren't going to be in the game? I didn't see any of that when I looked through it.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • ScumbumboScumbumbo Posts: 148 Member
    edited February 2016
    For those interested in a mod solution to this, I wrote "No More Video Distortion" last night and uploaded it to MTS tonight: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=572727
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Scumbumbo wrote: »
    For those interested in a mod solution to this, I wrote "No More Video Distortion" last night and uploaded it to MTS tonight: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=572727

That's cool. So, my question has to be, does it cause animation issues with Sims watching movies at faster speeds? Cause that's what someone said the devs claimed was the reason for having the distortion to begin with. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if the dev was just making a joke about that.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I got a chance to play today since forever and while i don't mind the scrambling, the noise it makes is absolutely dreadful and annoying and now I want this feature dismissed.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

That's cool. So, my question has to be, does it cause animation issues with Sims watching movies at faster speeds? Cause that's what someone said the devs claimed was the reason for having the distortion to begin with. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if the dev was just making a joke about that.

My guess is because this came right before movie hangout stuff, they added scrambling because they couldn't find a way to make movies work in 2x/3x speeds. So they added it for movies and tv for a quick and unfortunate solution.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
    Not sure, I don't have the movie pack so wouldn't be able to test. I'm just guessing that they're refering to the "reactions" to movie content that I see in the TV object tuning. Those reactions will likely not be in sync with the video, so Sims may laugh when a murder happens or something like that. If someone who has the movie pack can verify that there is significant oddness and not just mis-timed reactions to content on the screen please post a feedback message on the download site.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member

I don't think it matters. Even with speed 1, their animation or gestures have nothing to do with the movie. They're pretty random. Like my sim could be crying when nothing sad is happening on screen.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    DeKay wrote: »
    I don't think it matters. Even with speed 1, their animation or gestures have nothing to do with the movie. They're pretty random. Like my sim could be crying when nothing sad is happening on screen.
    Lol - I should've figured they'd cheat that "feature" too. I was fooled by XML names like "reaction (to) ComedicMoment" into thinking it actually synched to a real comedic moment. Ah well, can't expect everything and glad the mod doesn't have any real negative effects, at least so far.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

I have had my Sims jump at the good moment while watching the horror movie with the bunny.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Lol - I should've figured they'd cheat that "feature" too. I was fooled by XML names like "reaction (to) ComedicMoment" into thinking it actually synched to a real comedic moment. Ah well, can't expect everything and glad the mod doesn't have any real negative effects, at least so far.

I wonder if some are synched but not all. I've definitely had (in speed 1) correct reactions to movie moments and regularly too not just one-offs. *shrug* just so happens that I usually play in speed 1... have done all my simming life.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.

Well, maybe it could be related to the movie genre. There's a few genres. I don't know how mods are done, but if your sim is watching a comedic movie, maybe they will laugh, but I don't think it is a specific time during the movie that they will do that.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Neia wrote: »

I have had my Sims jump at the good moment while watching the horror movie with the bunny.

I had my sim jump and I was like "whoa what happened" and it was only the title of the movie coming up. :expressionless:
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I genuinely fail to understand why it bothers people so much. I really like it! Admittedly I don't speed too often but it does happen. It's not like the distortion skips through the program either, when you do speed the movie is paused as the distortion overtakes and as you enable normal speed again the movie continues in the same place. So why is it an issue? I think it's a nice added touch and I would be disappointed if it was removed.
  • tiagomoucho3tiagomoucho3 Posts: 123 Member
    For me whenever I speed the time, the TV makes a weird buzz (along with the distorted image) and it is really annoying. That buzz drives me crazy. My sims now don't watch TV because of that. Hope they'll patch an option like we have for the music
    Slawfish wrote: »
    I genuinely fail to understand why it bothers people so much. I really like it! Admittedly I don't speed too often but it does happen. It's not like the distortion skips through the program either, when you do speed the movie is paused as the distortion overtakes and as you enable normal speed again the movie continues in the same place. So why is it an issue? I think it's a nice added touch and I would be disappointed if it was removed.

Well, luckily for you I've given up. I'll unlikely be griping about future features I dislike. Hard to do that when you're no longer playing. It may be okay for you, but it's a lost customer for EA. I don't even have origin on my system anymore.
    For me whenever I speed the time, the TV makes a weird buzz (along with the distorted image) and it is really annoying. That buzz drives me crazy. My sims now don't watch TV because of that. Hope they'll patch an option like we have for the music

The weird buzz sound is quite distracting for sure. I don't really fast frwd enough for it to be an issue for me but I can definitely see how it would get to someone who does.

It's typical EA behavior thought, right, the same patch that allows stereos to finally match the speed of the game also brings a change to TV's. I just don't even. :expressionless:

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    edited February 2016

I didn't mind the distortion but now they have added a buzzing sound which kinda annoys me. It sounds like a broken TV or computer. :confounded: Like, I always immediately tell my sim to fix a broken computer cuz I can't stand the sound. Thankfully, my sims don't really watch TV that much and I'm usually on Speed 1 anyway.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    I reported the same bug or glitch. I haven't heard anything. I've tried to repair the game and everything and still got nothing
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
    I reported the same bug or glitch. I haven't heard anything. I've tried to repair the game and everything and still got nothing

It's not actually a 'bug' per say. The dev's have coded the game to work this way. It was changed in a recent patch.

NZsimm3r wrote: »

It's not actually a 'bug' per say. The dev's have coded the game to work this way. It was changed in a recent patch.

NZsimm3r is correct. This feature is working as intended and unlikely to change.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Well, luckily for you I've given up. I'll unlikely be griping about future features I dislike. Hard to do that when you're no longer playing. It may be okay for you, but it's a lost customer for EA. I don't even have origin on my system anymore.

I'm not trying to sound disrespectful at all, just genuinely curious. But this of all things is what made you say "screw this Im done" ?

Or was it more of the straw that broke the camels back?

I didn't mind it when it first came out but now the tv thing drives me absolutely insane.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    Huh, I'm surprised people are upset. I thought this was, and it seems to be, a feature -- not a bug/glitch. I'm sure they can add some kind of toggle option if it's that upsetting for people. Doesn't music have this kind of toggle option as well?
    edited February 2016
    I'm not trying to sound disrespectful at all, just genuinely curious. But this of all things is what made you say "screw this Im done" ?

Or was it more of the straw that broke the camels back?

I didn't mind it when it first came out but now the tv thing drives me absolutely insane.

Not sounding disrespectful at all. It was the straw. I am tired of being peeved off nearly every month for several different reasons and decided there were more positive ways to exert my energy in my free time.

A game should be solid, fun, and enjoyable; not frustrating, unfinished, and broken.