Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wedding Fiasco

NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
I hate having weddings in Sims 4 because they're always a disaster. Has anyone written a "Wedding Guide" that might help players like me? Here's the story of my latest fiasco.

Nicholas and Jeanne have been engaged for a while, and today was their wedding day. Jeanne will be moving in with Nicholas and his parents, so while playing Nicholas and his family -- they're the ones with the money -- he planned the wedding. Bride and groom. Check. Guests. Check. He invited 12 guests. Hire a bartender. Yep. Hire a caterer. OK. Hire a musician. Right. All looks good to this point.

The wedding is to be held at Magnolia Blossom park where many months ago I installed a bar, built a complete kitchen facility, and also put in a piano, so drinks, cake, and music should all be available. So far, so good.

Click to go to the wedding venue. The guests arrive, and I think I see Jeanne there. Thank goodness she's dressed in formal attire, but not a wedding dress. Nicholas decides to have a drink before the ceremony (trying to follow the little checklist) so he goes to the bar, but there's no bartender there. What happened to the guy he hired? Who knows. He hired another one, got a drink and thanked a couple guests for coming. (Another item on the check list.) All right, let's start this show. Click on the arch...huh? The only option available is "Fantasize about weddings." I hovered over the other options and learned that Jeanne was not there. Well, that's great. Had she left him at the altar?

No, there's no way that could happen. The text told me I needed to invite her to hangout at the current lot, but when Nicholas grabbed his cell phone, no such option was available. I tried clicking on the relationship panel but still had no option to call Jeanne or to invite her to her own wedding.

The only quick solution I could think of was to slip over to household management, add Jeanne to the household and have her travel to the park. When she arrived, of course, the "wedding" was no longer in progress. In order to get Nicholas and Jeanne married, I had to plan the wedding again, and once more hire everyone -- and spend all the money again. Good thing the groom's family has a healthy bank account.

Now, Jeanne changed into her wedding dress, and I steered Nicholas away from the bar. They exchanged their vows -- finally -- and I've got the pictures to prove it. (Just ignore the grumpy little girl in the scene. Let's pretend she was a flower girl who got tired of the long delay.)

S3YoUFz.png

With the ceremony over, it was time for another item on the checklist -- sharing the first slice of wedding cake. BTW, at this point there were two bartenders who seemed to be confused over who was supposed to tend the bar, but fortunately I saw a baker in the kitchen and yes, there was a white cake on the counter. Well, what was I supposed to do next?

I tried to get Nicholas and Jeanne into the kitchen but only managed to get her there. She put a wedding topper on the cake to make it official, but when she took the first slice, she didn't get credit on the checklist. Time was running out. The cake was already cut, so what now? While I was looking around for Nicholas, the baker made a hamburger cake, and I struggled to get Nicholas into the kitchen. By that time, Jeanne had wandered off. Another wedding topper, Nicholas cut the cake, and this time it worked.

Next, we all moved toward the piano to enjoy a little music, but no musician ever showed up. Great. All the guests, including Jeanne and Nicholas, were playing a silent version of musical chairs while they chatted, and that's where I saved and exited. I was so frustrated by the entire wedding process I couldn't even enjoy it.

Is there such a thing as a Sims 4 Wedding Guide? If not, someone should write one.

Comments

• belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    There is indeed a guide to what you need to have ready or what is good to prepare:
    Carl's guide to weddings

I find it's best to have the cake ready before starting and then keeping it in the inventory of one of the marrying Sims.
    It might also be a good idea to have a stereo at hand, if the hired musician is a no-show.
    When it comes to cutting and eating the cake, you could also try Call To Meal. Similarly, you can order drinks for a group of people, if you want to make sure everyone drinks.

The first wedding I threw wasn't very successful, apart from the couple getting married. But since then I've gotten the hang of it and I know who to invite for various needed services. Hope you succeed the next time!
  • INeedAVacationINeedAVacation Posts: 32 Member
    I often find when hiring staff that they tend to wander around and not really do any work. Maybe they could introduce a "get back to work!" interaction?

I had two engaged Sims and didn't know what "elope" meant when I pressed it. To be honest that ended up being more of a fun option; they just had a wedding in the middle of a park on their own :P Can imagine the other Sims yelling "You did what!" when they got back from the date/accidental wedding.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Weddings in the Sims 4 are just messed up period. They really need an overhaul.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,286 Member
    I thought they were bad in Sims3. But, yeah, it really tasks the Simmer to be able to pull one off efficiently. Suffice it to say, they just aren't as much fun. :(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • colbyfromagecolbyfromage Posts: 268 Member
    I often find when hiring staff that they tend to wander around and not really do any work. Maybe they could introduce a "get back to work!" interaction?

This would be great! I have had so many problems with staff during parties not doing what they're supposed to do.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Have you tried making everyone a group so they all do the same thing at the same time?
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member

This would be great! I have had so many problems with staff during parties not doing what they're supposed to do.

I usually make sure a member of the family is available to do all the extra stuff so I don't have to deal with the staff AI. It's a bit cruel that the bride's teenage daughter ended up making the cake and all the rest of the food and then spent the rest of the evening entertaining the guests on the piano instead of enjoying herself at the wedding but hey ho, needs must (and she'd gotten a D on her latest report card anyway - that'll teach her to slack off.)
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    belpita wrote: »
    There is indeed a guide to what you need to have ready or what is good to prepare:
    Carl's guide to weddings

I find it's best to have the cake ready before starting and then keeping it in the inventory of one of the marrying Sims.
    It might also be a good idea to have a stereo at hand, if the hired musician is a no-show.
    When it comes to cutting and eating the cake, you could also try Call To Meal. Similarly, you can order drinks for a group of people, if you want to make sure everyone drinks.

The first wedding I threw wasn't very successful, apart from the couple getting married. But since then I've gotten the hang of it and I know who to invite for various needed services. Hope you succeed the next time!
    belpita wrote: »
    Carl's guide to weddings

Thanks. Usually I just have my sims elope, but I wanted a nice wedding for Nicholas and Jeanne. I'll read the guide and hopefully I'll get a better understanding of what needs to happen -- and how to make it happen :)

• Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @NoWayJose527 Yeah weddings can be a bit crazy. My first few weddings were a disaster. I now do what someone already mentioned and that's prepare the cake before the wedding starts. & I usually have the person move in with me first before I head to the alter. That way, they go to the wedding venue together. Other than those two things, I just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best lol
  • kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    edited February 2016
    I kinda of agree with you.
    But some problems can be fixed if you would ask ur bride/groom to move in together before the wedding.
    That's gonna help a lot I think.

My sims' wedding problems always come with the wedding cake.
    For example, nobody makes the wedding cake, invisible wedding cake(which seems to have been fixed by last patch but I didn't test it yet.),only one of the groom and bride grabs a piece of wedding cake etc. ...
    It should be called as a nightmare wedding cake.Lol
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    The first wedding I threw was pretty successful, but only because the NPCs actually did their jobs. The weddings after were really weird... Caterers placing unfinished food everywhere, push up parades, angry guests that provoke the bride/groom... :D
    Out of all of the weddings I threw, I was never able to get them to do that cute wedding cake interaction. :'( It's definitely the cake that's a hurdle if no one in the household is doing those things in my case. I hope the next wedding you throw works out :)
  • NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    I always have a couple of guests walking through the wedding arch during the ceremony, that destroys the moment and many of the pictures. Since the latest patch, or GT, the sims can't cut the cake, and before that the cake intereaction when they feed a peice of cake to their spouse stopped working. And I have problem with the very skilled caterers making grilled cheese instead of more fancier meals, that is soo annoying. And most of the time the ceterer won't even finish half of the meals and puts it on the floor. The weddings are simply never wonderful.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
    edited February 2016
    In reading these wedding stories, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one whose weddings become memorable for all the wrong reasons LOL. I like to imagine my sims laughing about the problems later, and I can even laugh about it -- later. It is only a game, after all. Still, it's so frustrating to be playing a game and have such a struggle with what should be -- IMHO -- a simple task.

I'm truly hoping someday we'll have a "Get Married" game pack with lots of wedding dresses, a pre-designed wedding venue coded so that guests actually sit in chairs and watch the ceremony, options for music, a variety of cake styles, wedding decorations or themes, and new romantic interactions.

ETA: I'd love to have the "honeymoon" limo return, too. Oh, wait. We don't have cars.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    I normally find weddings pretty easy, but it's like a learning curve. However, I just use elope now, someone always dies during the party, lol. Elder npc, histerical bride, you name it, it's happened to me.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
    Amiutza wrote: »
    I normally find weddings pretty easy, but it's like a learning curve. However, I just use elope now, someone always dies during the party, lol. Elder npc, histerical bride, you name it, it's happened to me.

Sounds like you've had a lot of fun times in your game. I've yet to have anyone die during a wedding, but with my luck, it will probably happen sooner or later.

• kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    Weddings are always a disaster for me as well. Even when I go through lots of preparation. During my last one, the mother of the bride showed up in her formalwear.. Just so happened to choose her wedding dress option (she had more than one formal option, that was just one of them...I do that because the game doesn't always automatically put them in a gown for me) .. So that was weird. Gonna make sure I delete that dress from my sims formal options once they are married heh.

Also had lots of people walking THROUGH my couple during the ceremony.
    kmaria wrote: »
    Weddings are always a disaster for me as well. Even when I go through lots of preparation. During my last one, the mother of the bride showed up in her formalwear.. Just so happened to choose her wedding dress option (she had more than one formal option, that was just one of them...I do that because the game doesn't always automatically put them in a gown for me) .. So that was weird. Gonna make sure I delete that dress from my sims formal options once they are married heh.

Also had lots of people walking THROUGH my couple during the ceremony.

LOL, yeah I've sims get married in some awful clothing before. I also had the 2 girls in the same bridal dress fiasco once, but that was back in Sims 2 many years ago. I was so embarrassed! I'd had two wedding very close together, and I forgot to change the first bride's formalwear option, so yep, she showed up at her friend's wedding dressed in white. I truly cringed when I saw it LOL.

I am SO glad I'm not the only one with wedding mishaps!
  • DeeTsimsDeeTsims Posts: 176 Member
    I actually like wedding parties. My 1st few were a bit stressful trying to get everyone to cooperate. Bartenders usually showed up late, caterers would make way too much food, and start piling them on counters in the bathroom, or on the floor once there was no more counter space. And the food would spoil very quickly and have to be thrown out.

So now I never hire a caterer, I always make a cake or 2 ahead of time and keep it in either the Bride or Groom's inventory, never in the fridge as once a hungry guest ate the cake, without a topper early. I now always place the wedding topper on the cake. I no longer hire a bartender, I just use the drinks tray and/or drink fountain from Spa Day. I find the buffet table handy and it usually keeps hungry guests from going off and raiding the fridge. I usually still hire a pianist, I pick one of my own sims with a high piano skill, and still always have a stereo at the venue too.

The only thing I still find frustrating is if I have a wedding in a park or a home with a pool or hot tub, guests will change into their swim suits before the ceremony starts, then show up at the altar not properly dressed. Also, if I have a wedding at a 2+ storey home, I've started putting a temporary fence across the stairs, before the wedding to keep the guests on one floor. I usually like smaller wedding venues. I recently had one at a lounge and was so happy when the guests actually sat on all of the chairs, yeah, a first; then an uninvited bar patron walked in and stood right at the altar with the bride and groom, ruined all of the pictures during the vows!
  • thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    edited February 2016
    I once had a wedding party fail because my game glitched out pretty bad. They exchanged their vows, wedding rings, and a kiss. But then they got stuck doing romantic interactions under the arch for a few real life minutes, and the "Get married" task wasn't fulfilled. I decided to reset them after them being stuck for a few real life minutes, thinking they'd just have to do it over again, but nope. They were already listed as married, still no marriage task filled. Probably one of the most annoying glitches I've had in the entire series.
    DeeTsims wrote: »
    I actually like wedding parties. My 1st few were a bit stressful trying to get everyone to cooperate. Bartenders usually showed up late, caterers would make way too much food, and start piling them on counters in the bathroom, or on the floor once there was no more counter space. And the food would spoil very quickly and have to be thrown out.

So now I never hire a caterer, I always make a cake or 2 ahead of time and keep it in either the Bride or Groom's inventory, never in the fridge as once a hungry guest ate the cake, without a topper early. I now always place the wedding topper on the cake. I no longer hire a bartender, I just use the drinks tray and/or drink fountain from Spa Day. I find the buffet table handy and it usually keeps hungry guests from going off and raiding the fridge. I usually still hire a pianist, I pick one of my own sims with a high piano skill, and still always have a stereo at the venue too.

The only thing I still find frustrating is if I have a wedding in a park or a home with a pool or hot tub, guests will change into their swim suits before the ceremony starts, then show up at the altar not properly dressed. Also, if I have a wedding at a 2+ storey home, I've started putting a temporary fence across the stairs, before the wedding to keep the guests on one floor. I usually like smaller wedding venues. I recently had one at a lounge and was so happy when the guests actually sat on all of the chairs, yeah, a first; then an uninvited bar patron walked in and stood right at the altar with the bride and groom, ruined all of the pictures during the vows!

Speaking of pictures...another option I wish we had was to hire a photographer now that our sims have that skill. The photographer could take a series of photos and mail them to the newlyweds later. Not sure how such an option would work LOL, but I wish it were possible. Dream on, right?
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I've posted this in a couple of threads before - of course I could only retrieve the first one (which needs a bit of editing), I think a lot of these things have been mentioned already but here's my mini guide to a succesful wedding (at home, but a lot can be applied to weddings on community lots as well):
    The thing is, a perfect wedding is impossible, a good wedding takes meticulous planning.

Before the wedding:
    • Make sure the bride and groom have the day off, or take the day off.
    • Plan outfits, make the perfect wedding outfit under formal wear, remember/write down the number (e.g. formal 2).
    • Know your intended guests' job and their work hours, choose a day a lot of them don't have to work.
    • Bake the cake, put the thing on it (don't remember what it's called), put it in the fridge. Make some more food too, prepare drinks (unless you have the drink/chocolate fountain from LP, or, better, the drink tray from SD, because guests will actually use that one), store everything in the fridge.
    • Place a wedding arch (in the back yard, or at least some distance off the place Sims ordinarily enter the lot).
    • Make sure you have enough tables with chairs and a stereo. Move any instruments you may have to your family inventory (unless you wish to hire an entertainer).
    • Lock doors to places you don't want your guests to enter. If you also want your wedding to look perfect, close off access to the pool as well, I find it absolutely annoying when the bride (or anyone really) gets a slice of wedding cake and then twists into her swimwear to sit on the side of the pool to eat it...

Planning the wedding:
    • Weddings take forever, so start early and make sure your Sim's needs are full (a bit hungry is OK, they'll have cake later).
    • Invite plenty of guests (eight at least, in case someone doesn't come or leaves during the party).
    • Do not hire a caterer, you can hire a bartender or entertainer, apparently they work, I never hire them because you don't really need them.

The wedding:
    • Get bride and groom to the wedding arch, as guests start arriving call them to you (that's why you place the arch at a bit of a distance or you won't be able to perform that action).
    • Perform the ceremony.
    • Get the cake out of the fridge, cut it, eat it.
    • Guests will help themselves to drinks if you prepared them beforehand.
    • Follow the party requirements, I don't think weddings require flirty or playful moods, if they do, the VIP bucket thing you get for gold dates may be useful for a flirty aura, or MySims statues for a playful aura, or emotional paintings (I always use those things to get past those party goals fast and on dates too).
    • Engage guests in conversations, dance with them to the stereo - using the group feature makes this easier (well everything).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    I've posted this in a couple of threads before - of course I could only retrieve the first one (which needs a bit of editing), I think a lot of these things have been mentioned already but here's my mini guide to a succesful wedding (at home, but a lot can be applied to weddings on community lots as well):
    The thing is, a perfect wedding is impossible, a good wedding takes meticulous planning.

Before the wedding:
    • Make sure the bride and groom have the day off, or take the day off.
    • Plan outfits, make the perfect wedding outfit under formal wear, remember/write down the number (e.g. formal 2).
    • Know your intended guests' job and their work hours, choose a day a lot of them don't have to work.
    • Bake the cake, put the thing on it (don't remember what it's called), put it in the fridge. Make some more food too, prepare drinks (unless you have the drink/chocolate fountain from LP, or, better, the drink tray from SD, because guests will actually use that one), store everything in the fridge.
    • Place a wedding arch (in the back yard, or at least some distance off the place Sims ordinarily enter the lot).
    • Make sure you have enough tables with chairs and a stereo. Move any instruments you may have to your family inventory (unless you wish to hire an entertainer).
    • Lock doors to places you don't want your guests to enter. If you also want your wedding to look perfect, close off access to the pool as well, I find it absolutely annoying when the bride (or anyone really) gets a slice of wedding cake and then twists into her swimwear to sit on the side of the pool to eat it...

Planning the wedding:
    • Weddings take forever, so start early and make sure your Sim's needs are full (a bit hungry is OK, they'll have cake later).
    • Invite plenty of guests (eight at least, in case someone doesn't come or leaves during the party).
    • Do not hire a caterer, you can hire a bartender or entertainer, apparently they work, I never hire them because you don't really need them.

The wedding:
    • Get bride and groom to the wedding arch, as guests start arriving call them to you (that's why you place the arch at a bit of a distance or you won't be able to perform that action).
    • Perform the ceremony.
    • Get the cake out of the fridge, cut it, eat it.
    • Guests will help themselves to drinks if you prepared them beforehand.
    • Follow the party requirements, I don't think weddings require flirty or playful moods, if they do, the VIP bucket thing you get for gold dates may be useful for a flirty aura, or MySims statues for a playful aura, or emotional paintings (I always use those things to get past those party goals fast and on dates too).
    • Engage guests in conversations, dance with them to the stereo - using the group feature makes this easier (well everything).

Daaaaam. That sounds like almost as much work as a RL wedding. :D
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Do not hire a caterer, it's useless. Do the cake at home. This is my asset for weddings if you want to give a try: wedding arc, next to the wedding arc or not to far from it, the buffet table from luxury party, and a bar, some tables and chairs and a piano, sometime. The table should be near the arc, first thing when you arrive put the cake on the buffet table and put the decoration on it, then if you want you can serve the food. From there it's all about following the list, and when you are asked to take the first slice, your Sim will do it autonomously.
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    As others have said, never hire a caterer. I'm not sure how much they cost too hire so you could probably get away with the buffet table instead (if you have it) and then make your own cake. The caterer just becomes obsessed with making cakes (and seriously, just a standard cake? no tiers?). My last wedding I had was on a lot I built. I didn't have music because I had a dance floor and a DJ booth so I just hired a DJ when I got there. I had the buffet table out so I just filled that and had one of my brides make the cake in the kitchen I built. I did hire a bartender (which was a bad move in hindsight cause the lot was a bar venue) but it took him awhile to figure out how to do his job. Overall with little work on my part the party went well.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »

That's never happened to me at any event I've thrown so far. :o
    I always succeed with weddings, birthdays and dinner parties. But house parties are always a disaster and at best I get bronze. :'(