Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Packs versus The Sims 4 Store

Comments

• midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited February 2016
    @shaposh2012 I agree with being thankful that there is no Sims 4 Store, or I'd be broke each time a new item come out and I would have to run and get more Simpoints voucher from GameStop(ebgames). Thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @poisonedsodapop I spent way too much on the TS3 store, I'm regretting it now. Thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @marcel21 considering that I bought everything in the TS3 store, I would rather the stuff packs but the Sims 3 items weren't chunky as Sims 4 items, so I'm in the middle on this one. Thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @PHOEBESMOM601 Thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @SweetieKaye Thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @kingkong192 too true, thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @ferret9005 I agree, Thanks for commenting :smiley:
    @Dannydanbo Cool! Thanks for commenting :smiley:
    @sururick Worlds would be good too Thanks for commenting :smiley:
    @GlasgowSmiles Same. Thanks for commenting :smiley:
    Post edited by midnightpearl on
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    No problem. You know though, out of all the worlds in Sims 3, I still loved Sunset Valley the best.
  • Marti_SternMarti_Stern Posts: 153 Member
    I'd love the idea of having world packs. BUT, if EA keeps reminding me of the packs I don't have, I won't buy any.
    I mean, it's understanding that the game tells us what we don't own in the gallery, or that EA puts ads in the title screen. But, I won't tolerate having the unlockable icon on the world menu. That's horrible! I hated it when I didn't have GTW and it was announcing me that I didn't have Magnolia Promenade... Seriously, that's the worst thing...
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I think in ts3 they even have locked items in the buy build catalogue ! It is awful!
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I'd love the idea of having world packs. BUT, if EA keeps reminding me of the packs I don't have, I won't buy any.
    I mean, it's understanding that the game tells us what we don't own in the gallery, or that EA puts ads in the title screen. But, I won't tolerate having the unlockable icon on the world menu. That's horrible! I hated it when I didn't have GTW and it was announcing me that I didn't have Magnolia Promenade... Seriously, that's the worst thing...
    I think you can get rid of that by playing offline. I agree, however. Whoever thought that feature was a good idea needs several kicks up their behind.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I think in ts3 they even have locked items in the buy build catalogue ! It is awful!

In TS3 they push down your throat the store pretty badly, the buy catalogue has yellow framed items everytime you go into buy/build mode 3 notifications pop up asking you about buying store things. "Look at dis so pretty buy it from the store". Almost like a mobile game. :s One of those things I really hated in TS3.

There was an option to turn off the store in game tough so at least thy had that.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

In TS3 they push down your throat the store pretty badly, the buy catalogue has yellow framed items everytime you go into buy/build mode 3 notifications pop up asking you about buying store things. "Look at dis so pretty buy it from the store". Almost like a mobile game. :s One of those things I really hated in TS3.

There was an option to turn off the store in game tough so at least they had that.
    There is? Where is it?! I can't find it!
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

There was an option to turn off the store in game tough so at least they had that.
    There is? Where is it?! I can't find it!

I'm almost 100% sure there was such option in the game but maybe I'm wrong.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    @rjssim I loved Sunset Valley, it was so serene and beautiful :smiley:
    @Marti_Stern Love your comment and agree :smile:
    @jimbbq I remember that too :smiley:
    @Sigzy05 I think there was an option to turn off in game, and yeah, EA pushed most items down our throats too much. :smiley:
  • AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    With the whole filter system in The Sims 4 and the fact that my wallet has fairly been used at its minimum, I'd say I'm happy with how they are treating The Sims 4 without using the store.
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    I'm fine with the store but I've never paid for anything I just use the sim point ads I was surprised at some of the stuff I could end up getting for free too without having to use sim points. Of course I arrived really late to the Sims so I was never tempted to buy right away, plus I'm pretty patient with earning simpoints.

• Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'd take the Store. Why? Because you don't have to buy the entire pack just to get those shoes you think are cute..
    @AznSensei same thoughts too. My wallet is fat but not thinned out as I put it when I bought everything for Sims 3, yep, I had no money left over for normal important stuff, so glad that EA's dishing out stuff packs instead for Sims 4! :wink:
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    I'd much rather have a store. I loved The Sims 3 store. I probably spent at least $500 in the store alone.

All of the worlds in sims 3 store alone cost around $500 dollars so I believe you

It isn't hard to spend $500 when a venue with a violin and archery (very bad archery) cost $20 alone, but you have to buy the $34 dollar world first and then you unlock a black dragon!! All of this should be in one bundle. ;)
    I did not spend $34 for Dragon Valley...

That's how much it says the world is for me on sims 3.

The world itself is $20. The "Gold Bundle" is $35, which comes with 1900 extra sim points and the Celtic Lands set. So the world is the same price as a TS4 Game Pack, which seems reasonable to me since you get an entire world with premade sims, new gameplay objects, new CAS and build/buy mode objects, etc.

To me, the TS4 stuff packs may be slightly better value in general than TS3's store. But, I think that's because the store was overpriced, so it doesn't take too much to improve on the pricing. :smile: However, there are downsides like not being able to buy items separately. And, maybe it's just me, but I found that the things in the store had a bigger variety when it came to aesthetics and theme. You could also find sales often in the store, and we had the opportunity to try to earn free simpoints, things like that. So, while the price itself was high, there were plenty of deals you could find if you were patient enough.

At any rate, it all more or less evens out in my opinion.

I agree with you.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The one good thing about Stuff Packs is that they contain new gameplay. If for any reason they shipped a SP not containing new gameplay I would not view it as a particularly good deal. So far there has only been a few "good" stuff packs IMO.

PPS and Romantic Garden stuff are the only two stuff packs I have been impressed with. Cool Kitchen, while I was thoroughly excited for it, didn't contain a whole lot of kitchen stuff which is a major let down.

I was a little let down with the amount of new foliage included in RGS, but there's definitely a variety if you include the different color swatches, and the wishing well is a really nice gameplay object that has a lot of gameplay options.

I do think they are a better value than the store, but at the same time I wish they included more content.
    @drake_mccarty , I agree, I wish EA included more content, this Romantic Stuff, there is a lot of foliage but the kitchen stuff pack was a bit of a disappointment, not enough kitchen stuff and more hairstyles and clothes, yeah that was not a good stuff pack. Thanks for your comment :smiley:
  • trashbinsouvenirtrashbinsouvenir Posts: 412 Member
    I bought pretty much all of The Sims 3 Store items, mostly because pretty much all of it was stuff I wanted... I liked being able to just buy one object or hairstyle if I liked only that one, and being able to buy a whole set if I liked the whole thing. If you waited long enough, most sets would go on sale, and they added the concept at the end where you got discounts to finish a set. I think the store had a rep of not producing the best quality items, but aside from a few blunders (the Bistro, Savvy Seller, etc) a lot of it was really great quality. They made some beautiful lots, CAS items, etc. I think the store allowed there to be a larger selection of items, creating lots of different sets to appeal to a wide variety of simmers. The Stuff Packs, while there have been a few I've been okay with, have never really made me think "oh man I really want that"... I usually end up getting them because a lot of the lots I want to get from the gallery have content from them. I use to get excited about Store items all the time, and used the items SO much. I might have the unpopular opinion here, but that's just my take.
    I miss being able to have so many options from the store... things from a boardwalk lot to the Indian Inspirations sets. It really opened a lot of creative avenues for me for the game. It enhanced a lot of what we already had, yet you could completely play the game and enjoy it without any store content whatsoever. I feel like it's harder to ignore the stuff packs for the sims 4, even if I don't like the theme, than it was for me to ignore store set content I didn't want. I hope they continue to create Stuff Packs for those who have been enjoying them, but I would also like a store where they can release sets that may not be popular enough to create whole packs over... I'd love if they'd add some more cultural items to this version of the sims. My favorite store content was the cultural sets. Also great to mix it up from the normal offerings. :)
    Simply,
    Brittany (bwillisucf)

Zpj9msL.png
    @trashbinsouvenir I, too bought everything from the store, but wished most of it to be in stuff packs, I can understand where you're coming from, Stuff packs are great for those who want them and the store is for those who want just some items. Not sure if EA will have a store later on, who knows how Sims 4 will pan out too-though it's going ok apart from the missing toddlers saga but anything else, I'm loving more stuff packs. Thanks for your comment :smiley:
  • ninjapipaninjapipa Posts: 27 New Member
    to be fair i didnt think much of the old store and i still dont think much of the stuff packs im finding them over priced for what they actually are not far off £10 for a couple extra items that i could probably just mod, im not saying stuff packs are terrible as the movie hangout, cool kitchen stuff ect are pretty cool and keep things interesting just not for the price i would maybe like to see them doubled up for the same price, lowered in price or simply just added as extra content in the expansions or game packs
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited February 2016
    The aspect I liked about the store was picking and choosing invidiual objects, instead of getting them in a set...though there still were objects that never really got separated until near the end of Sims 3 (like having to buy a world for toddler objects or for a cash register object-thing, etc).

The few big store items I really, really did want were sometimes not the greatest and I needed mods for them to work (like the Bakery, Bistro, and Saavy Seller...)...

Also, I disliked the overpriced price points.

I rarely got deals, either, for the specific items I wanted.

So, I miss and don't miss the store at the same time.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    They both good their benefits and flaws -

With a Store, if they repeat it like they did with The Sims 3: Store, then we'd get to buy the content we want, there would probably be some exclusive set content but we'd have the option to pick and buy what we want from a majority of available content, however, this often means that you could end up spending more money than the content would originally be worth if it was in a Stuff Pack, some of The Sims 3: Store Sets are more expensive than The Sims 4: Stuff Packs and add less than half the content with no gameplay, so in other words, you have options but don't be surprised if you have to pay extra to get your way.

With Stuff Packs, content is bundled together and ultimately usually ends up being cheaper overall, now each Stuff Pack comes with 1 or more gameplay objects and some of the objects themselves are getting more special effects, however, if you want something in particular within a Stuff Pack, you have to buy the entire Pack to get it as there probably would be no other way to get that content. So in other words, you get bundled content for cheaper but you don't get to pick what's in that bundle, sometimes you might have a bunch of content you won't use or content you don't feel fit the theme of the Pack.

It's an entirely subjective matter, personally I choose Stuff Packs just because they're cheap and offer allot of content and now even some gameplay for half the price of previous Stuff Packs.

Another advantage with the stuff packs, is that you sometimes end up getting things that you wouldn't think of getting otherwise. I mean, there are lot of decorative items I'd never get on their own, but when you have them anyway, I often end up using them far more than I would have originally expected.
    @ninjapipa too true, there's not a lot of items to sell for $10 in most countries, here in Australia, we got slugged $15 for a tiny stuff pack, and even with Sims 2 stuff packs, there were more content in Sims 2 then Sims 4 stuff packs. I'm not too sure where EA's thinking or strategies were going with the price. Thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 same, thanks for your comment :smiley:
    @liliaeth too true. Thanks for your comment. :smiley:
  • RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    Personally, I despised the store simply because there was clearly so much content that could have been in the lacking Sims 3 base game... this was at the beginning.

But as it went on I did like the worlds and as someone on this thread said, the lots/worlds provided were often beautiful. But its hard to deny that the store was heinously overpriced; and to add insult to that, they STILL released stuff packs on top of the store making The Sims 3 a hobby far too expensive to keep up.

At least with The Sims 4... yes we are getting a lot of stuff packs at once, but its not on top of worlds, content and 'microtransactions' as it was in The Sims 3. So I definitely prefer The Sims 4 format for now :)
    Personally, I despised the store simply because there was clearly so much content that could have been in the lacking Sims 3 base game... this was at the beginning.

But as it went on I did like the worlds and as someone on this thread said, the lots/worlds provided were often beautiful. But its hard to deny that the store was heinously overpriced; and to add insult to that, they STILL released stuff packs on top of the store making The Sims 3 a hobby far too expensive to keep up.

At least with The Sims 4... yes we are getting a lot of stuff packs at once, but its not on top of worlds, content and 'microtransactions' as it was in The Sims 3. So I definitely prefer The Sims 4 format for now :)

My issue with the worlds in sims 3, aside of how much time was wasted in going from one place to another, (and how much it made the game lag), was that each time you got a new world, you lost all the game play you'd had in your previous worlds. Or like you got locations in one expansion pack; and then you had to start looking for a place to put every single one of those locations in your new world. Especially since it was often hard to find empty lots to put anything, so you ended up having to get rid of buildings that were already there, just to be able include stuff from previous packs.

I love how in sims 4, you can access each neighborhood from every location, they're all just extensions of the same world, which makes them far more interesting. Sure, I do hope we get more worlds, and a world building tool, but with the way sims 4 is set up, all those will be much more fun to play with, since you don't have to lose your previous set up, just to be able to try out new environments.
    The one good thing about Stuff Packs is that they contain new gameplay. If for any reason they shipped a SP not containing new gameplay I would not view it as a particularly good deal. So far there has only been a few "good" stuff packs IMO.

PPS and Romantic Garden stuff are the only two stuff packs I have been impressed with. Cool Kitchen, while I was thoroughly excited for it, didn't contain a whole lot of kitchen stuff which is a major let down.

I was a little let down with the amount of new foliage included in RGS, but there's definitely a variety if you include the different color swatches, and the wishing well is a really nice gameplay object that has a lot of gameplay options.

I do think they are a better value than the store, but at the same time I wish they included more content.

Yeah, cool kitchen was pretty much the biggest let down of the stuff packs. Whereas the party and the perfect patio stuff ended up having more stuff that I ended up liking, than I expected I would when I first bought it. Admittedly, it helps that so many of the objects have opportunities for recolouring. There's many things that I dislike in the advertised coloring/style, but that look great when you can change them up a bit.