Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to the sims 4 n I'm lost, lol

I've been a die hard sims fan since sims 1 but soon after 3 came out I jumped off the wagon n kept playing the sims 2. The other day I was so excited to start up the sims 4 n was like wth is this, 🐸🐸🐸🐸.. I couldn't even control the camera

Comments

• Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    When I first played the camera controls was one of the reasons I couldn't get into it, I had to adjust. There's a camera control drop down in the upper right corner and you can make it so the camera works like the one in The Sims 3. You can also use the keyboard keys.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    it took me a bit to get use to also. Carl Sims might be very helpful while you transition http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/ he has a link to his guides at the top.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I was used to the camera once I realized that I just had to switch my keys as I was used to press "shift" to alternate the view. (TS2: Life Stories). Carl's guide is definitely a bit help and nothing wrong with exploring the wiki after. I hope find enjoyment in whatever you play. :)
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I've been a die hard sims fan since sims 1 but soon after 3 came out I jumped off the wagon n kept playing the sims 2. The other day I was so excited to start up the sims 4 n was like wth is this, 🐸🐸🐸🐸.. I couldn't even control the camera

Personally I would *not* recommend using the s3 camera, because some of the things the s4 camera does are pretty neat.

Learn from my mistake, here, I DID make the 4 to 3 switch, and when I decided to go back to 4, it took me DAYS of forcing my mouse-hand to do the right things, before I started feeling comfortable with the "new" style.

Believe me, I get the attraction of using the s3 version... but the s4 cam *is* better/does more, IMO, and if you're new to everything anyway, this would be a fine chance to get used to it from the beginning. It DOES get easier.

Are you into mods at all? If so, ask me about MC Command Center (similar to Twallan's S3 mods, Pescado's S2 mods).

I love new players. I've been playing Sims4 since the beginning (thanks to MC, honestly). I restart a lot, I'm good at "early game" questions. Generational questions, notsomuch.

If you need help with something, ask. There's a lot of "what the... ??" included with this game, trust me. (Most of which MC has settings for.)

You'll have questions, we've pretty much *all* had questions. If I don't know the answer, there are other experienced, helpful players here who probably will. :)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    There was a great topic here the other day started by a Simmer making the shift from Sims 2. You might also find it helpful! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/877468/finally-converted-to-sims-4-but-got-some-questions/p1
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The camera is wonky in a Sims 4, luckily you can change it to Sims 3 camera mode which works like Sims 2 as well.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I jumped from TS2 to TS4 and the while the camera gave me some toruble at first I'd still recommend TS4 camera. It's really comfy after you get used to it. I hope you have fun playing :blush:
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello :)
    This is a link to a thread called "Helpful links for playing and creating in Sims 4 " which may help you as you are playing sims 4.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/802325/helpful-links-for-playing-and-creating-in-sims-4

I hope that you will enjoy playing sims 4. Happy Simming! :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2016

I found I had to switch to the TS3 style camera. There are big differences in this game and the actual series. IF you look at it as a side game and not concerned whether you buy everything for it or not, then you will turn out a lot happier than if you consider it as part of the continuation of the heritage it has no part of. My opinion.

1. Traits or personality really isn't going to matter in this game all that much because all Sims no matter who they are will be able to do the things some with particular traits can do...so throw that out the window. This is due to Sims getting skills (all will get the same if you allow it and on their own) therefore causing ALL to behave as the same. So, if you are used to different type Sims not being like other Sims in TS2 you will be disappointed a good Sim in TS4 can be just as mean (and will) in TS4 when they learn mischievous skills on their own and most of the time without you wanting them to do that. This is across the board. So, be prepared to see this sort of thing over and over in the game.

2. Coming from TS2 you may not mind loading screens as much as someone who liked TS3's openness more. However, you will find with two EPs, three GPs and several (five?) SPs there isn't that much for these Sims to do. So, it's back to staying at home a lot more actually.

3. If you are used to Sims behaving particular ways in TS2 then you may find you will not like these Sims as they all behave in the same manner, and may or may not care if their loved one died. They will never get notice like in TS2 or 'feel' it unless they witnessed it and then it's a dice roll if they just walk over them or start to cry.

4. If you were the type of player in TS2 who loved your family graveyards for haunting and or to keep the family together, be prepared those ghosts may be culled eventually. Even missing from the patched in Family Tree.

5. If you enjoyed your Sims having dinner together and all eating at the same time and having a good conversation there is some of that in TS4 however, it's not autonomous they actually discuss anything that has actually happened like they do in TS2. So, there again shallow, meaningless dinners.

6. Sims don't have memory in this game and would not know what they are looking at in a picture (like they can in TS2's vacation pictures for example) and you set what type of emotion they should have of that snapshot= but they are totally unaware what it is or why. Shallow again.

7. If you want to fill goals and or reach achievements in this game for your own self gratification then you will like this game as emotions aren't about what happens but how you can manipulate them to get the goal you want to fill.

I think that covers enough to tell you per your question 'wth is this'? Lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Bert1701Bert1701 Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Poignant stuff

Welcome to TS4 @LizMarie1085!

@Cinebar is pretty spot on with this actually. I wouldn't say I came from TS2 as I hadn't played it in a long while before I got TS4, but I did miss almost all of TS3, except for when I had a console version briefly (which didn't get a lot of play time), due to my financial situation at the time making it unfeasible for me to buy a PC that could run it well and keep up with the EP's.

That said, I do think TS4 is a good game in it's own right. I've logged a lot of hours on it and there's almost always something to do if you have a few families (unlike TS2 where I played only one family). You may just find you have to use your imagination more to fill the personality differences between Sims. Sure, I can't often spend all day playing it like I used to with TS2, but I do play it almost daily still for a few hours and have fun with it. I do think it will get better as more content is added, but I don't think a lot of the things @Cinebar mentioned will be "fixed" as I have a feeling they're part of the core coding of Sim behaviour (like obsessions with Milk!). If you can get used to stretching your imagination and creating your own stories and deeper personalities for your Sims though, I think you'll have fun with it still. And either way, I hope you enjoy!

EDIT: For Spelling
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Welcome back to the Sims again @LizMarie1085 I jumped ship on 3 also but back and enjoying. I hope you have a great experience. I think that was the hardest part for me ... learning to use the camera. I was pretty frustrated but found the game enjoyable despite that. I think I figured it out about 3 days in though... with some help from the forums. Keep playing a few days and read some of what has been suggested ... you will be a pro in no time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    LizMarie1085LizMarie1085 Posts: 436 Member
    Thanks everyone. My biggest issue atm is remembering how to rotate the camera lol.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    If you're not opposed to using the keyboard you could always use the shortcut keys to rotate the camera it's the < and > symbols located above the space bar. It works in both the Sims 3 and Sims 4 cameras. I find this a lot easier then using the mouse and my fingers are usually down there anyway since I use the C button shortcut to take screencaps.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    Thanks everyone. My biggest issue atm is remembering how to rotate the camera lol.

I recommend using the TS3 camera style. If you do that, it's the same like in TS2, you use your middle mouse button and hold it down while moving your mouse (mainly left to right, if you want to rotate it at the same level, for example, at eye level). Doing this could also get you different angles very easily as well if you move your mouse forward or back.

I don't like the TS4 camera style. It is too limited and if you want to get a specific angle, you have to hold ctrl and move your mouse or something like that, and that is just inconvenient to me since my left hand is usually on the `123 keys to control the speed.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    emiliajane1971emiliajane1971 Posts: 101 Member
    I can't add much to what has been said honey but it took me ages to get used to them too so you are not alone xx I changed the keyboard ones to W = forward A = left S = down D = right and the arrow keys to UP,DOWN,LEFT, RIGHT so that my hands kinda sit in those positions. Practice makes perfect Z is zoom in X is zoom out .... you WILL learn it - stick with it