The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird lag since updating to Windows 10

Comments

• knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Just checked back in with this thread, tried all of these fixes and nothing working yet but think it's just got to be a process of elimination now. Going to have a look at the site @momboqueen suggested now so hopefully something there can help. Don't give up hope @xitneverendss, there has to be a fix for this somewhere! I hope lol :/

The issue seems to only happen to me if I play for long periods of time without quitting I.e 6hr plus. not had this issue for sometime now.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @KayleiMarie I sure hope so too! Have you managed to find anything useful yet?

@knazzer I wish that were the case for me but I can't play for anywhere close to that without this problem occurring.
    kensgirl73 wrote: »
    I have had this issue after updating. Here is what I have to do:
    1. Start the Game
    2. Alt-Tab to the desktop
    3. Right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager
    4. Click on the details tab
    5. Find the game in the list; could be listed as The Sims or TS2, TS3 or TS4
    6. Right click on the title of the game
    7. Select "Set Affinity"
    8. Uncheck one of the boxes
    9. Click Ok
    10. Close
    11. Go back to your game and see if that worked

It's a pain in the rear end but if you do it as soon as you start the game, you will be able to play.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find how to keep it like that so you MAY have to do it every time you start the game.

Let me know how it works for you.

- Susan

What do you mean by it could be listed as TS2, 3, or 4? If I'm doing this specifically for TS2, would it list it as TS2?
  • kensgirl73kensgirl73 Posts: 212 Member
    1. Start the Game
    7. Select "Set Affinity"
    9. Click Ok
    10. Close

It's a pain in the rear end but if you do it as soon as you start the game, you will be able to play.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find how to keep it like that so you MAY have to do it every time you start the game.

- Susan

What do you mean by it could be listed as TS2, 3, or 4? If I'm doing this specifically for TS2, would it list it as TS2?

Mine is listed as TS4. I don't have The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 on my desktop so I can't be sure how it would be listed.

1. Start the Game
    7. Select "Set Affinity"
    9. Click Ok
    10. Close

- Susan

Mine is listed as TS4. I don't have The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 on my desktop so I can't be sure how it would be listed.

So is this even a fix for TS2? Because you're talking about 4...
  • KayleiMarieKayleiMarie Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2015
    Set affinity IS supposed to work for TS2, but so far it hasn't worked at all for me in fixing the switching sims lag. I spent a good hour or so searching over at Sims Network and couldn't find anything relating to this. I think I've officially tried everything :/ I'll keep looking and trying stuff out, if I find anything that sticks I'll let you know

P.s if you're going to try set affinity you have to uncheck every box except CPU0 for TS2

(edited for P.s)
    Origin: KayleiMarie
    Twitter: @kayleimarie
    I'm pretty much just KayleiMarie
  • kensgirl73kensgirl73 Posts: 212 Member

It is what I have had to do with a couple of my different games. That is why I thought that it would work for TS2. I really was just trying to help.

P.s if you're going to try set affinity you have to uncheck every box except CPU0 for TS2

(edited for P.s)

It's weird that you would have to uncheck all but one because usually it just takes me unchecking one of the boxes. Again I have had to do this with a couple of different games.
    @kensgirl73 TS2 was built to run on a single processor, as most computers are dual or quad core now, it needs to be set to run on a single processor (hence unchecking all but one box).
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2015
    Apparently setting affinity after you've started the game doesn't work properly, but I found a way to set the affinity so that the game starts with it: Edit you game starter icon - right click and go into properties and edit target:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity 1 Sims2EP9.exe
    Also you have to start the game as an administrator.
    This way the game will load with only 1 processor. It's easier too, because all I have to do is to right click on the icon, choose start as administrator and then the game just loads, don't have to change anything after that. ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---

It is what I have had to do with a couple of my different games. That is why I thought that it would work for TS2. I really was just trying to help.

(edited for P.s)

It's weird that you would have to uncheck all but one because usually it just takes me unchecking one of the boxes. Again I have had to do this with a couple of different games.

No I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off as rude or anything. I was just confused!
    Aine wrote: »
    Apparently setting affinity after you've started the game doesn't work properly, but I found a way to set the affinity so that the game starts with it: Edit you game starter icon - right click and go into properties and edit target:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity 1 Sims2EP9.exe
    Also you have to start the game as an administrator.
    This way the game will load with only 1 processor. It's easier too, because all I have to do is to right click on the icon, choose start as administrator and then the game just loads, don't have to change anything after that. ;)

Okay, thanks @Aine I will try this next time I boot up the game.
  • OlivePixelsOlivePixels Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2015
    > @xitneverendss said:
    > kensgirl73 wrote: »
    >
    > xitneverendss wrote: »
    >
    >
    > So is this even a fix for TS2? Because you're talking about 4...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is what I have had to do with a couple of my different games. That is why I thought that it would work for TS2. I really was just trying to help.
    > KayleiMarie wrote: »
    >
    >
    > P.s if you're going to try set affinity you have to uncheck every box except CPU0 for TS2
    >
    > (edited for P.s)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's weird that you would have to uncheck all but one because usually it just takes me unchecking one of the boxes. Again I have had to do this with a couple of different games.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off as rude or anything. I was just confused!
    > Aine wrote: »
    >
    > Apparently setting affinity after you've started the game doesn't work properly, but I found a way to set the affinity so that the game starts with it: Edit you game starter icon - right click and go into properties and edit target:
    > C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity 1 Sims2EP9.exe
    > Also you have to start the game as an administrator.
    > This way the game will load with only 1 processor. It's easier too, because all I have to do is to right click on the icon, choose start as administrator and then the game just loads, don't have to change anything after that. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Okay, thanks @Aine I will try this next time I boot up the game.

I was wondering if you ever got this issue solved or not, I currently have windows 8.1 and am having the same issue. I've tried all suggestions but nothing is working for me. Any help would be appreciated.

*** @Aine I tried your suggestion but when I type "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity 1 Sims2EP9.exe" into the target window (without quotations of course), it does not work. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance!
    Shauntorie wrote: »
    > @xitneverendss said:
    > kensgirl73 wrote: »
    >
    > xitneverendss wrote: »
    >
    >
    > So is this even a fix for TS2? Because you're talking about 4...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is what I have had to do with a couple of my different games. That is why I thought that it would work for TS2. I really was just trying to help.
    > KayleiMarie wrote: »
    >
    >
    > P.s if you're going to try set affinity you have to uncheck every box except CPU0 for TS2
    >
    > (edited for P.s)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's weird that you would have to uncheck all but one because usually it just takes me unchecking one of the boxes. Again I have had to do this with a couple of different games.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off as rude or anything. I was just confused!
    > Aine wrote: »
    >
    > Apparently setting affinity after you've started the game doesn't work properly, but I found a way to set the affinity so that the game starts with it: Edit you game starter icon - right click and go into properties and edit target:
    > C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity 1 Sims2EP9.exe
    > Also you have to start the game as an administrator.
    > This way the game will load with only 1 processor. It's easier too, because all I have to do is to right click on the icon, choose start as administrator and then the game just loads, don't have to change anything after that. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Okay, thanks @Aine I will try this next time I boot up the game.

I was wondering if you ever got this issue solved or not, I currently have windows 8.1 and am having the same issue. I've tried all suggestions but nothing is working for me. Any help would be appreciated.

*** @Aine I tried your suggestion but when I type "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity 1 Sims2EP9.exe" into the target window (without quotations of course), it does not work. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Sadly no, I haven't and I'm really bummed about it. The game has become pretty much unplayable now, it will start lagging when switching sims within 30 minutes to an hour. I wish I could find a solution because I had some great storylines going :/ I tried setting the affinity as well like you said and no dice.
    edited November 2015
    I'm sorry it didn't work for you guys - I tried to find the source where I got the information from, but I can't find it right now. The only thing I can think of is that you didn't put it in the right place, or that you forgot to remove the quotation marks. Here's how it looks for me:
    I right click on the shortcut on the desktop, and click properties.
    5jVFLzS.jpg

However there are some things you can try - this topic is a good start: http://www.digitalperversion.net/gardenofshadows/index.php?topic=21931.0
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • OlivePixelsOlivePixels Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2015
    Thank you both so much for reply so soon!

@xitneverendss I agree, trying to play the game is pretty much annoying after about 20 mins for me but I'm determined to fix this issue because Sims 2 is my fave at the moment lol

@Aine Thank you for providing a screenshot, I will try this and report back! Fingers crossed :)
    edited November 2015
    Shauntorie wrote: »
    Thank you both so much for reply so soon!

@xitneverendss I agree, trying to play the game is pretty much annoying after about 20 mins for me but I'm determined to fix this issue because Sims 2 is my fave at the moment lol

@Aine Thank you for providing a screenshot, I will try this and report back! Fingers crossed :)
    You're welcome, don't forget to check out the link I provided aswell, there's some other things you can try also. :smile:

Allons-y!

I *think* I may have found a fix for this! It's to do with the Securom installed with the game, I've just gone through the steps and will do a play test in the morning to see if it works and report back!
    I *think* I may have found a fix for this! It's to do with the Securom installed with the game, I've just gone through the steps and will do a play test in the morning to see if it works and report back!

Let me know what you find! I've avoided upgrading to Windows 10 on my new computer for this specific reason lol

I've been playing for about four hours now with no lag, so I think it's safe to say that Securom is the culprit. I can't link the tutorial for fixing it here (I'm pretty sure it breaks the rules) but I can message you the tutorial link if you still need it? :# < super excited emoji cos I FINALLY get to play lol
    I've been playing for about four hours now with no lag, so I think it's safe to say that Securom is the culprit. I can't link the tutorial for fixing it here (I'm pretty sure it breaks the rules) but I can message you the tutorial link if you still need it? :# < super excited emoji cos I FINALLY get to play lol

Yes, please! :)
  • ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member

Hey @KayleiMarie can you send me that tutorial too please? :)
    🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!
    @ScarletQueenKat1 I'm not at my PC at the moment (it's bookmarked on there) but I'll send it over when I get home this evening :)
  • ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member
    No problem, thank you @KayleiMarie :)
    🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!
  • starsky2012starsky2012 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @KayleiMarie said:
    > I *think* I may have found a fix for this! It's to do with the Securom installed with the game, I've just gone through the steps and will do a play test in the morning to see if it works and report back!

hello KayleiMarie i have this problem and i really want to solve this problem. if you don't mind can you send me a tutorial link too?
    i really want to play sims 2 thank you.
  • starsky2012starsky2012 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @KayleiMarie said:
    > I *think* I may have found a fix for this! It's to do with the Securom installed with the game, I've just gone through the steps and will do a play test in the morning to see if it works and report back!

Hello @KayleiMarie i have this problem and i really want to solve this problem. if you don't mind can you send me a tutorial link too?
    i really want to play sims 2 thank you.
  • superstaroliviasuperstarolivia Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey @KayleiMarie would you mind giving me the tutorial links as well, I've been having this problem and Sim 2 is my fave! Thanks!