Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New body shapes, skin tones and heights for Barbie

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited February 2016
    Ooops! hit the wrong button!

• Mikai94Mikai94 Posts: 42 Member
    I really like the idea. Does anyone know if they are coming out with different races for Ken and Kelly too? (it is Kelly right?)
    giphy.gif
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you were going to do? Maybe that is because someone deleted the action on you.
    Mikai94 wrote: »
    I really like the idea. Does anyone know if they are coming out with different races for Ken and Kelly too? (it is Kelly right?)
    All I have heard is that Mattel is changing Barbies's looks. I have not heard any official word from Mattel if they have plans to change any of the other dolls that are associated with Barbie yet.

• Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    @Mikai94 I don't know but it's definitely possible. Kelly is the toddler and Skipper the teen I think.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
    @Deshong04, you probably have a better grasp on your subconscious mind than a child who plays with Barbies ;) I'm saying that a child can't possibly be aware of the perceptions he or she is forming as they learn and discover new things... this includes the dolls they play with. But there are definitely some children who come through unscathed, and the Barbie doll is definitely not the biggest or only culprit in the self-esteem issues young people face.

Oh, I wish it was as simple as saying "Screw it. I love myself". Unfortunately for many, the journey to being comfortable with oneself isn't as simple as yours has been, but good on you for deciding you don't care what others think of you! That's a goal I hope to one day reach :)

I'm with you on the Ken suggestion! I'd love to see some variation in Ken's body shape. Boys aren't immune to self-esteem issues, after all.

2afmmf5.jpg

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I have a feeling I may end up using some of these for an art project.
    >.>
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Thesimsaren123Thesimsaren123 Posts: 60 Member
    I think this is really good. Even though kids may not think about Barbie's looks, I still think it can impact on how they look at themselves and others. I can't see how Barbies with different body shapes can hurt anyone. Actually I think (and hope) that it will only do good.
    no we don’t use that room there was once a spider in it
    balbalbalasimsheader.jpg
    darkbloodisbi.blogspot.se/
    edited February 2016
    "Deshong04, you probably have a better grasp on your subconscious mind than a child who plays with Barbies ;) I'm saying that a child can't possibly be aware of the perceptions he or she is forming as they learn and discover new things... this includes the dolls they play with. But there are definitely some children who come through unscathed, and the Barbie doll is definitely not the biggest or only culprit in the self-esteem issues young people face."

No, I mean when I was a child and playing with Barbie and Ken, I still didn't have those thoughts that I am suppose to look like Barbie when I get older or that Barbie's figure is what is perceived as beautiful above all other figures. Perhaps because in my childhood there was enough diversity to know that not all males even care about that, the truth is most males see a female regardless of shape, size, height, imperfections, ethnicity, etc. Only superficial people care and judge by appearances alone. Also, children are very intelligent. Some are more deep thinkers than others but nonetheless are more aware than you may think. Of course, this differs for each child.

"Oh, I wish it was as simple as saying "Screw it. I love myself". Unfortunately for many, the journey to being comfortable with oneself isn't as simple as yours has been, but good on you for deciding you don't care what others think of you! That's a goal I hope to one day reach :)"

Practising self-acceptance may not at all be simple and I did not mean to come across that way. It took most of my teen years to figure it out. Although, realistically that stage is all about figuring out who you are. So by the time I graduated and went to college and two trade schools I was very comfortable with myself. Even if my peers didn't like me which, for the most part, they never did and still don't. And that goes way back to elementary school. Of course, it takes some much longer to accept themselves and I'm guessing some never do, unfortunately. In a world where the media and society dictates what "beauty" is, it's no wonder why some are so stressed out to obtain this false idea of beauty. Fortunately, not everyone gets caught up in all that nonsense and can lead very happy and fulfilling lives being exactly who they are, imperfections and all. Even it if means:

33e7sxk.jpg
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Thesimsaren123Thesimsaren123 Posts: 60 Member
    @Deshong04 I may still be in my teen years, but I wouldn't say that it's not usual of people to judge you by your looks. And don't get me wrong, I don't mean that everyone is looking for someone with a "Barbie shape", I just mean that judging people by their looks is human. It doesn't have to be anything negative though, but you always get an opinion of a person when you first see them.
    At least I know that as a teen, especially back when I was like 13-15 years, looks meant everything for the kids my age. If you didn't look as the ideal said you were supposed to look, then you weren't one of the "cool kids".

Still, I agree with the fact that everyone isn't looking for a "Barbie". Everyone has their different opinions of what they think is beautiful.
    Me myself, did never think of Barbie's looks when I was a kid. And it never occurred to me when I got older, that dolls was something bad for kids. I actually found it quite foolish when I saw articles where usually parents were complaining over how thin todays dolls are, like Monster High for example. (Even though I actually would say it's a different thing with Monster High, since I believe that they're not even supposed to be human???)

I don't believe that it's the toys that make kids look down on themselves, but other things that influences, like how they're brought up by their parents and how their early school years was. How they learn to look at things. You can let your child play with whatever stuff they want as long as you, as a parent, talk to them about for example that people are unique and that everyone doesn't look like a Barbie, and especially that it's quite unusual that everyone will look like that.
    no we don’t use that room there was once a spider in it
    balbalbalasimsheader.jpg
    darkbloodisbi.blogspot.se/
    Still, I agree with the fact that everyone isn't looking for a "Barbie". Everyone has their different opinions of what they think is beautiful.
    There's a great review by kids of the new barbies on buzzfeed.
    It look like kids like these new dolls because they can see something that represents themselves, or people they know (height, skin colour, hair type, body shape).

edited February 2016
    @Thesimsaren123 I don't mean that it's not natural to use appearances to form a part of one's opinion. However what is unnatural, to me anyway, is one who only cares about how you look. Those who judge the book by its cover and entirely bypass it, never bothering to learn of its contents. And for as long as I can remember I've never been a part of the "cool kids" and couldn't care less about that imaginary hierarchy. That imaginary hierarchy that's almost everywhere. I found peace of mind just accepting myself and being a loner since most treated me like an outcast. But some were really nice. The nice ones usually always stood out to me. Some teachers, middle school, high school and college would dote on me because it was clear I was different than most and to them I suppose that was a breath of fresh air. In my earlier school days, it got to the point my mom would stop coming to parent/teacher conferences because it was always the same positive report, lol.

I agree, there are many unfortunate opportunities for children or older to gain low self-esteem. A toy itself is not the issue, or so not to me anyway. How you are raised is a great deal of influence on how you handle life. Our parents job is to do their best to ensure we have the knowledge to lead a happy and healthy life. Not that, that is the case all the time though. We cannot choose who our parents will be but I am very blessed to have the mother and father I was gifted to. No one's perfect, but I love my family. Anyway, not having the upbringing is no excuse for self-pity. No one is ever going to rise above it if they cannot defeat it. My mother didn't have the mother to guide her and she learned the hard way but she vowed she would be the best mother she could if she ever had kids. One among many lessons she taught me is that your hardships don't define who you are but they make you a better person. Of course, that varies from person to person but one of my favorite sayings is, "Only the strong survive."
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Brainiac95Brainiac95 Posts: 7 New Member
    One thing I like about the different looking barbies, is that there won't be so many identical "siblings" or randomly identical "friends" when kids play with them. Each doll can be it's own person.
  • debjameswhitedebjameswhite Posts: 1,612 Member
    I'm also a fan of the new dolls although I never had an issue with Barbie growing up. Always loved her.
    Brainiac95 wrote: »
    One thing I like about the different looking barbies, is that there won't be so many identical "siblings" or randomly identical "friends" when kids play with them. Each doll can be it's own person.
    As far as I know, they are only changing the looks Barbie herself. Not Ken, Kelly, or any of the other dolls associated with Barbie.
    I watched this video and it reminded me of this topic. The way I feel children tend to view themselves compared to how adults view themselves. The way a child sees a Barbie may be different than the way an adult sees Barbie. These children are still innocent, care-free and I love their responses. The elderly woman is amazing too. I think they are all beautiful, I think everyone is beautiful and it's just so sad that some do not see that. Hopefully, someday they will because,
    "You are beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Not even yourself." I remember my mom saying something similar to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0tEcxLDDd4
    I got that exact quote from this video just to reference it although it may be off-topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTRwj9t-vU
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
    At the age of six, most girls are just becoming self aware beauty. This is why Barbie, (The Doll), has always been associated with fashion. This is why you would always see nice shoes, a hairbrush, a nice outfit. And anything else that's associated with beauty products, and fashion in the doll's package with her.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    At the age of six, most girls are just becoming self aware beauty. This is why Barbie, (The Doll), has always been associated with fashion.
    Not quite.
    Barbie was originally a "fashion doll," and was aimed at teens, not children.
    Over the years, the ages of those "playing" with her, has gotten lower, as childhood becomes shorter (once again).
    Movotti wrote: »
    At the age of six, most girls are just becoming self aware beauty. This is why Barbie, (The Doll), has always been associated with fashion.
    Not quite.
    Over the years, the ages of those "playing" with her, has gotten lower, as childhood becomes shorter (once again).
    Are you sure about that because my two sisters were playing with barbie dolls at the age of six. And they both were starting to be self aware about appearances at that age. So I think that you might want to recheck your facts there a bit.

Are you sure about that because my two sisters were playing with barbie dolls at the age of six. And they both were starting to be self aware about appearances at that age. So I think that you might want to recheck your facts there a bit.
    It's the reason why barbie has a womanly figure, dolls aimed at children are generally flat chested. At least that was the case in the 1950's and 60's, when the doll was first made.
    Were your sisters playing with barbie in the 1960's?

When an American woman named Ruth Handler spied a Lilli doll in a store while vacationing in Switzerland, she didn't see it as a prurient novelty. Instead, she thought it would be the perfect toy for her daughter, Barbara. Handler had observed Barbara and her girlfriends playing with paper dolls that depicted teenage girls or adult women. To Handler, that was their way of practicing for adulthood. Yet, aside from the two-dimensional paper dolls, no other dolls available in stores portrayed the mature female body. For that reason, she bought two Lilli dolls for Barbara during that Switzerland trip in 1956 -- and one for herself.
    Her daughter was in her tweens or early teens at the time.
    Also, the Lilli doll wasn't even aimed at girls, it was aimed at men, for inspiration during alone time.

• gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    Just like with any toy, you're supposed to use your IMAGINATION. Of course Barbie is "perfect," she's supposed to be. When I played with Barbie, I wasn't thinking about how she looked and how I didn't look like her. I was using my imagination and having fun. It's a doll, c'mon. On another note, I do get how exciting it would (will) be to have a doll customized to look like you!
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    gabrielle wrote: »
    Just like with any toy, you're supposed to use your IMAGINATION. Of course Barbie is "perfect," she's supposed to be. When I played with Barbie, I wasn't thinking about how she looked and how I didn't look like her. I was using my imagination and having fun. It's a doll, c'mon. On another note, I do get how exciting it would (will) be to have a doll customized to look like you!

You're totally right, she's supposed to be perfect and children know that! The problem is the concept of perfection that is passed on along the doll, not the doll itself. Absolutely everything means nothing and is up to our imagination, until people give it a meaning.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    gabrielle wrote: »

You're totally right, she's supposed to be perfect and children know that! The problem is the concept of perfection that is passed on along the doll, not the doll itself. Absolutely everything means nothing and is up to our imagination, until people give it a meaning.
    You guys hit the nail right on the head with this.

Not quite.
    I had seen where you got this info from Movotti. I was at an auction yesterday, and they had some old Barbie Dolls from like the late sixties, and early seventies there. The dolls where still in their original packages, and one of the packages had teen-age fashion doll on it. So you were right. Barbie was marketed as a teen-age fashion doll at one time. But the mass majority of the people that played with dolls were girls under the age of ten. ;)

@sunman502, are you speaking of then or now?
    from what I have read, dolls were more popular with older girls than they are now.
    edited February 2016
    @sunman502, are you speaking of then or now?
    from what I have read, dolls were more popular with older girls than they are now.
    Then, because the doll that I saw at the auction last Monday was from the late sixties/early seventies. My sisters started playing with the barbie dolls from about the mid-seventies to about the early eighties. And they were just little girls when they started playing with barbie dolls. By the time that my sisters turned thirteen, they weren't into barbies anymore. They were into boys, and what ever was the hottest tend of the day back then. And girls are generally like that. As a boy, you sometimes pick on things like this when growing up with two sisters.