Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll Result from Sims VIP of the best Sims game in the series

Comments

• InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Every online website poll of this sort is biased by self-selection: who sees the poll, and who chooses to answer it. Unless a survey has been conducted with statistically valid methods, including matching for demographic info, it's just a game. This one says "People who happened across this poll and chose to answer it answered it like this." A poll here would say the same thing. Neither tells us anything about the opinions of all Sims game owners. (That would be complicated to develop a survey for - do you survey only people who have played all four games? Do you find that info out and then report multiple sets of results? Do you correct for demographics of game owners? Do you even have that info to correct for?)

That's why I said the proof is in the pudding and in all fairness TS3's base game out sold everybody even my beloved TS2 base game, in it's first week. So, popularity is in the money not the polling.

Hold up, no it didn't. The Sims 2 has sold 6 million on PC. The Sims 3 sold 3 million in the first 3 months, but considerably dropped after the feedback from gamers regarding performance, and it slumped. In total, The Sims 3 has sold 10 million on all platforms as of 2014. EA wouldn't give a PC only number, and so it's hard to know. But the Sims 2 sold 13 million on all platforms as of 2014, so it's safe to say the Sims 2 is the biggest seller, not 3.

Everyone acts like the Sims 3 was bigger than The Sims 1 and 2, but it really wasn't. It had very short lived success because of the feedback. I remember when the Sims 3 leaked and everyone called it a BETA because they assumed based on performance, and yet when the final came out, it was the exact same version number and played exactly the same, and thats where it became a mess.

Thank you Jack! It is amazing to me how these Sims 3 players keep trying to change history and are oblivious to facts.
    Cinebar is not a 'these Sims 3 players'. She's a passionate defender of Sims 1 and 2. You seem to be quite oblivious to this fact though, even when it was mentioned before when you were attacking 'the Sims 3 player'.

I was referring to all the Sims 3 players who keep trying to claim that Sims 3 outsold the others, i.e the example being the person Jack was responding to. You get rather bothered when someone is critical of Sims 3, so you are in no position to point fingers at me.

You're in no position to point fingers either, I've seen you insult others for their opinions on the game. Before preaching about respect, please practice it yourself.

Sorry, but I have not been disrespectful or insulted any players, I have simply disagreed with them and pointed out the fallacies in many of their declarations. I have nothing against you or anyone else, and I certainly don't care if you prefer Sims 3. But I do take exception to the constant harping on Sims 4 from the same group over and over. Speaking of insults, saying things such as Sims 4 players like limited games, and we don't know what a real Sims game is about, etc. I didn't like Sims 3 when it came out, but I accepted that others did. I just left it alone, and went on my way. I did not hang around the forums constantly picking at it.

I've seen you tell someone who was politely expressing their concern with the game to "quit crying". If that's not disrespectful, I don't know what else is.

Probably best not to engage with this person it might end in the thread being closed. I've seen their posts everywhere they've never been respectful to people playing Sims 3, they know what their doing and our outright lying about it best to ignore them.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Sims 4 isn't 'bad', it's just not that good. Certainly not the 'best' in the series to me, at least. Loading screens+only slightly upgraded graphics combined with textures that just don't look right when zoomed-in=I'll pass. (I could take either loading screens OR the less-than-stellar textures, but not both. It does make for nice screenshots and I do enjoy seeing what simmers created with it)

Sims 4 is good for many of us. I'll take it over one family play, pudding people, lagging, crashes, game breaking bugs, expansionso that don't work, so called story progression that only randomly adds and deletes Sims with no real logic, rabbit holes, the list goes on and on. See you Sims 3 people somehow thing you have a right to just bash at the Sims 4, but you get all bent out of shape when presented with a taste of your own medicine.
    You are the last person who should be saying that! You are frequently rude and nasty toward fans of Sims 3.

Also, "Sims 3 people"? Really? Do you have any idea how freaking discriminatory that sounds?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    Hello everyone,

This is a warning that if the conversation does not go back on the topic of what the OP started I will close this thread.

I welcome debate and constructive feedback about The Sims franchise but will not tolerate anyone attacking someone because they do not enjoy the iteration of the game that you do.

THANK YOU
  • TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    None taken. I can't say I hate Sims 4 any longer, as it's no longer interesting enough to hate. I lament it's existence, as it represents a step backwards in game quality, creativity, and complexity (games like Sims games should be complex affairs that are nonetheless simple to play).

To me, hating Sims 4 would be like hating Todd, the perennial bench warmer on the Chicago Bulls, because management decided to take him off the bench and play him instead of Michael Jordan (or Lebron James for his team, you get the point). He can dribble the ball ok, is an average free-throw shooter, but buckles under any real pressure. Worse, his knees are weak and he's near-sighted. Fortunately, he looks cute and, most importantly, he only makes the league minimum. His looks should be able to catch the attention of people who weren't previously fans, so the loss of hardcore/longtime fans should be somewhat mitigated. And though revenue might be down from previous years, expenses are waaayyy down.

What I hope is that 'bench warmer' is just a holding pattern, a stop-gap to tread financial water while management searches for a player that not only looks good, but has the chops to bring back the die-hard fans. We shall see.

I'm not really into the whole sport metaphors but this analogy perfectly describes how I feel about the sims 4.

To me it kinda feels like a tide over for sims 5.

Something to play in the meantime since sims 3 game engine has crashed after the 10 or so expansion packs and is no longer playable on my machine (I have a decent rigg, it isn't that, :) )

• HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    edited January 2016
    Now THAT was fun to read through. You guys had me on the edge of my seat. :D
    aSE16f8.gif
  • KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Polls are just for fun. It was posted via many different media for people wanted to vote in. Nobody has to be a member to a site to vote. Numbers can be skewed by multiple votes and absence of interaction as a whole of Sims players that don't frequent the news (because there isn't news for the older games often, unfortunately) will cause the poll to be bias towards the newer game. But again, polls are just for fun! Lol.
  • itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    itsug wrote: »
    The latest game always tends to get more votes then the previous ones, because there are more players playing S4 then 1-3.
    So most people who voted in that poll, either havent played 1-3 or they dont remember 1-3.
    Then of course, there are still those who prefer 4 to any of the previous games, like me. :)

So in all honesty, polls like these, might seem irrelevant.

I would like to see a poll that tells me there are more people playing TS4 over TS3 or TS2. I wouldn't believe it. Not when TS3 had over 3 million players daily, and I sort of doubt they moved on to TS4. I don't know how many played TS2 but I prefer it, anyway, I do know not more than half moved over to TS3 back then because if we had that would have been about ten million players for TS3 or more. So, I don't hardly believe TS4 has made up those differences in 'new' players that it couldn't grab to come over from TS2 or TS3. If that were true that would mean it was the best one out of the bunch to break all records and break the TS1 sale's record on day one. I doubt that. Since EA only said it had a strong beginning...if it had outsold all three on their first day we would know it. EA would have passed out on stage when they told it. They didn't hesitate to go out and say Dragon Age new game broke all their sales records. And they wouldn't hesitate if another Sims' game broke the past records. No matter who says they wouldn't have told, oh, yes they would have.

Sorry I missed out on your post.
    But I was speaking present and not comparing S3 back then and S4 now.
    Yes, S3 probably did have more people playing it back then then S4 got now, but it doesnt change the fact that S4 got a bigger player base today then S3 does today.
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    The latest game always tends to get more votes then the previous ones, because there are more players playing S4 then 1-3.
    So most people who voted in that poll, either havent played 1-3 or they dont remember 1-3.
    Then of course, there are still those who prefer 4 to any of the previous games, like me. :)

I would like to see a poll that tells me there are more people playing TS4 over TS3 or TS2. I wouldn't believe it. Not when TS3 had over 3 million players daily, and I sort of doubt they moved on to TS4. I don't know how many played TS2 but I prefer it, anyway, I do know not more than half moved over to TS3 back then because if we had that would have been about ten million players for TS3 or more. So, I don't hardly believe TS4 has made up those differences in 'new' players that it couldn't grab to come over from TS2 or TS3. If that were true that would mean it was the best one out of the bunch to break all records and break the TS1 sale's record on day one. I doubt that. Since EA only said it had a strong beginning...if it had outsold all three on their first day we would know it. EA would have passed out on stage when they told it. They didn't hesitate to go out and say Dragon Age new game broke all their sales records. And they wouldn't hesitate if another Sims' game broke the past records. No matter who says they wouldn't have told, oh, yes they would have.

Yes, S3 probably did have more people playing it back then then S4 got now, but it doesnt change the fact that S4 got a bigger player base today then S3 does today.

I agree that just posting a poll and letting anyone who wants to vote is irrelevant and isn't going to give you accurate results but I was wondering where you get this information?

"fact that S4 got a bigger player base today then S3 does today" Do you have statistics that say more people are playing 4 than 3 or is this just an opinion?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I agree that just posting a poll and letting anyone who wants to vote is irrelevant and isn't going to give you accurate results but I was wondering where you get this information?

"fact that S4 got a bigger player base today then S3 does today" Do you have statistics that say more people are playing 4 than 3 or is this just an opinion?

Nobody has any solid info on the player base of any game.

Even the other thread that's all about the number of players playing sims 4 isn't correct. The only people who know are the people collecting data at Maxis, and they're not gonna share that info.

Nobody has any solid info on the player base of any game.

Even the other thread that's all about the number of players playing sims 4 isn't correct. The only people who know are the people collecting data at Maxis, and they're not gonna share that info.

You know that and I know that but unfortunately people keep posting opinion as if it's a fact.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    it all depends entirely on what you were brought up with . usually the latest edition is the most popular as thats the one people on the forums play
  • AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member
    these results blow my mind. I hadnt played much sims 2. Mostly the original and sims 3. my boyfriend got the sims 2 for me recently because he is awesome and I have been unable to pry myself away from it. it is so in depth and wonderful! I believe it is by far the superior iteration. But, opinions are like... well.. you know. they all stink. So maybe I am wrong. But I am definitely surprised.
  • itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    Its from own experiences mostly.
    Sims 3 is older, and older games, tend to lose players.
    The game is not being updated anymore, and not supported.
    S4 is getting commercial attention and a new era of sims players are being born.
    Other then that, that poll needs an explanation, and what other explanation can there be for S4 getting more popularity then S1-3 together. :P
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
  • SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    edited February 2016
    I never voted in any polls, went on any TS forums, etc. until TS4 came out, because I was too busy playing my games. As someone previously said, polls should be taken with a grain of salt. But why do people get offended when someone points out that they dislike TS4 and go for the jugular? What's the point?

I don't believe this poll at all. And I do believe that there is too much convincing going on on fan sites, or even on this forum at times, attempting to convince players that TS4 is the best thing since sliced bread. Why?

One thing that makes me question the "real" popularity and the sales numbers of TS4 is the fact that there's always something on sale, either the base game, game bundles, etc. If your product is in high demand, why would you lower the price?

Taking all things into consideration, I feel that there is way too much, "shut up - play TS4, it's the awesomest game ever, you're just too stupid to realize it" going on.
    "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
    I agree @SimmieSims that people need to just understand that some people will like some games better than others. Another example is Super Mario. I loved the SNES games of it. I hated N64 versions of it even though it was new and unique. It's not until recently with Super Mario Maker that I've fallen in love again.

Same goes with The Sims. There's not a 'best'. Sure, some aspects are improved, others aren't. And it's all the perspective of the individual. Sales are a good way to judge a game's success but even then as long as you're happy playing your game, why take the time to put someone else down for playing theirs? We're all Simmers and we all have nostalgia to share from all iterations of The Sims.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    SimmieSims wrote: »
    I never voted in any polls, went on any TS forums, etc. until TS4 came out, because I was too busy playing my games. As someone previously said, polls should be taken with a grain of salt. But why do people get offended when someone points out that they dislike TS4 and go for the jugular? What's the point?

I don't believe this poll at all. And I do believe that there is too much convincing going on on fan sites, or even on this forum at times, attempting to convince players that TS4 is the best thing since sliced bread. Why?

One thing that makes me question the "real" popularity and the sales numbers of TS4 is the fact that there's always something on sale, either the base game, game bundles, etc. If your product is in high demand, why would you lower the price?

Taking all things into consideration, I feel that there is way too much, "shut up - play TS4, it's the awesomest game ever, you're just too stupid to realize it" going on.

One thing that seems very different this time is the number of sales this game has been in. I don't recall the other games being put on sale th is often in some many months. There is a sale for TS4 every month it seems. I don't know if EA has changed it's policy and just trying to keep up with other companies that discount often or vice versa. Or if this game really does have to be put on sale every month somewhere.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @Cinebar I would assume that people are more likely to buy an expansion/game pack/stuff pack if the base game is on sale. And since they are adding more stuff approximately every month, that would coincide with the repetitive sales. That's how I interpreted it anyways.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

One thing that seems very different this time is the number of sales this game has been in. I don't recall the other games being put on sale th is often in some many months. There is a sale for TS4 every month it seems. I don't know if EA has changed it's policy and just trying to keep up with other companies that discount often or vice versa. Or if this game really does have to be put on sale every month somewhere.

Lol. TS4's sales are less frequent and have worse discounts than pretty much any other EA games. For instance, Star Wars Battlefront is currently on sale on Origin for $29.99 despite of being only 3 months old. And that game has supposedly sold 13 million copies.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png

That's the thing I don't understand. I like both 2 and 3 a lot but I don't get offended when people say they don't like one or the other/both. I like what I like, play what I like and what others do or don't do doesn't enter into it.

I do get very annoyed at the blanket statements posted by some. I play/played TS3 on a mid range laptop and had very good luck with it. Maybe I recognize the limits of my machine and don't try to put the entire store, thousands of mods and pieces of CC (yes people have posted they had CC items in the 1,000's) and all EPs and SPs I add the EPs I like and use, add some store content and have a very playable, non-crashing game.

I also agree there seems to be a faction that wants to go out of their way to convince players TS4 is a better idea than sliced bread.
    elelunicy wrote: »

Lol. TS4's sales are less frequent and have worse discounts than pretty much any other EA games. For instance, Star Wars Battlefront is currently on sale on Origin for $29.99 despite of being only 3 months old. And that game has supposedly sold 13 million copies.

TS4 was on sale on Amazon a few days after release. I remember because I was kicking myself for not waiting and paying full price.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

TS4 was on sale on Amazon a few days after release. I remember because I was kicking myself for not waiting and paying full price.

Which has nothing to do with EA as Amazon is using their own profit margin to have a sale ;)

In fact Amazon is currently offering 20% off for all pre-orders and newly released games for its prime members.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    It is one poll from one website. Not even close to an accurate representation of how well liked each game is. Interesting, nonetheless, though.

Which has nothing to do with EA as Amazon is using their own profit margin to have a sale ;)

In fact Amazon is currently offering 20% off for all pre-orders and newly released games for its prime members.

You know I think you'd try to argue with me over anything. If I said black you'd have to say white. But you know I don't care what Amazon is doing now. I was making a comment on what they did a few days after the release of TS4.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    On the point of the sales. Frequent or infrequent compared to previous games, it could also just be a sign of the times. Economics may be the primary dictator here instead of the perceived success or failure of a game. Times have, and are, changing.

As for the poll, they're just for fun. They always have been. I find it interesting it's caused this much controversy.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5