Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!!

Comments

• SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Alright guys! So, as promised with yesterday's chapter upload, I have another Pets Rescue chapter today! This chapter is a long one, and combined with yesterday's would have just been far too long. That's why I broke it up. So, here you go!
    1.02: Story
    With the knowledge of that, I went down to town hall and, after an hour of filling in paperwork, opened up the Pet Rescue Center.
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi Everybody,

Hope you had a good start to the new week. Am just popping by with today's update from Arun Willis and his family an the shout outs for the guests stars including; @CathyTea , @Munterbacon , @Jes2G , and @Ladyhiggs. Have fun camping. The rest of you are invited to join the family camping trip, too.

https://silverslegacydiaries.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/golden-gate-medical-center-generation-4-angling-doc-3/

Silver

Post edited by SilverDaybreak on
  • RebornMonsterRebornMonster Posts: 552 Member
    edited January 2016
    @SilentWolf101 , @Blythelyre , @ValoisFulcanelli , @mastressalita , @thesealofthesims , @SilverDaybreak , @Lckygrl1975 ,

Thank you guys. :bawling: Just an update, my mother-in-law is healing well, and decided this weekend to plant a little garden at her house. We also helped her put up some new shelves in her workshop. Her voice is doing a lot better, and really didn't change that much. It's nice to see her in such good spirits - put my mind a lot at ease. :blush:

@mastressalita We ended up only having enough time (barely) for the one movie, but I'll definitely try to make time to check out that movie, "Tokyo Godfathers". I have to admit, I'm not much of a "holiday season" person, but if you recommend it so highly I'll give it a shot.

@thesealofthesims Hey, no worries about your worrying. My twin sister has an anxiety disorder, so I kinda understand what you're going through - and I promise it doesn't make you crazy. It can be tough, but I'm sure you can get through this stuff you're dealing with. I'm glad you had somebody to help calm you down - and I'm also glad you did get it checked out :smile: Take care of yourself. I was diagnosed with an ulcer a little over a year ago, so I'm no stranger to stomach woes, and I know how much worrying and stressing can really make it worse. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the offer of prayer and, while I don't necessarily believe, I do appreciate the sentiment. If you still want to I won't be offended - but you don't have to either. I still appreciate it. :smile:

@SilverDaybreak Glad to hear you've been making progress on your writing. I have missed hanging out in the sims chat and promise to make time to come visit there too soon.

Thanks for the shout-out in your story. I was really bummed out that day, and it kinda seemed funny that my sim was grumpy that day in your game as well.

@lovesstorms Congrats to your sister for her new book. :smile: Out of curiosity - was this a NaNoWriMo novel?

@FayeShinomori I'm glad to hear about your kidney stone passing. I've never had one, but that's what the doctors thought I had when I had that bad kidney infection and if the pain is like what I was in I can completely sympathize that it's horrible. :cold_sweat:

@everyone

Just a little update - sorry to anybody that's been reading my legacy. Since I've been so stressed out it really went to the wayside and I do feel really bad about that. I'll be trying to finish my next chapter sometime this week.

on related news I have suddenly started working on my novel again. I hadn't looked at it since last November, so that's a pretty big deal to me.

One very lovely @ValoisFulcanelli gave me a much needed pep-talk and I've decided I'm going to give another shot at finishing it. I do so very much enjoy the story I'm writing. I even did my very first "character sheets" this past weekend for it. I've done extensive character bios - but I'd never tried one of the character sheets that bounce about the interwebs. :smile: It was a lot of fun.

Anyone know of a decent place to "Talk shop" about writing style and stuff like that? Preferably I'm looking for a place kinda like this, where people are friendly and welcoming, but where people also would be blunt and constructively critical? Maybe like a "writer's guild" sort of thread or something? I need to hash out some design philosophy (meaning I kinda need people to argue/debate with me) and I don't want to make anybody uncomfortable or make an unwelcoming environment. :cold_sweat:
    Gen1Banner.png
    edited January 2016
    @RebornMonster I'm glad she's doing so well! I've never actually heard of a character sheet... *runs off to google* So, when I need criticism, I find some friends of mine over on Writer's Cafe (my other writing site), and ask them for help.
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    @RebornMonster : Maybe check out the Writer's Workshop thread?
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • RebornMonsterRebornMonster Posts: 552 Member
    @SilentWolf101 I just used one of those "character questions" things that float around on Tumblr. But, I googled it and some of the D&D style character sheets for writers look so freaking EPIC!!!
    Gen1Banner.png
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    @RebornMonster : Maybe check out the Writer's Workshop thread?

Yes! Writer’s Workshop is a great thread. Very professional and mature—you kinda have to be to accept feedback, right? Right now, none of us regulars have anything to submit, so we’re open to reading something. Check out the front page to see how it works.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    Good morning!

Leliana is blaming her behavior on pregnancy hormones. Enjoy!

http://www.jes2gstories.com/hormones/
    forum_final.png

My entry for the Short Story Challenges is done!

The Final Final Countdown – A middle-aged geek, obsessed with a past memory, is intent on adding a certain item to his collection. Written for the January 2016 Short Story Challenges theme "The Countdown."
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    @RebornMonster - Hi! Though she has been doing NaNo off and on for 8-9 years, this was not a NaNo project. She just wrote it another time. Shame on me for not reading it yet. lol
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    Hi Everybody,

Nice to see some returning faces after a short absence and will try to do a catch-up/read some blogs in the next day or so but for now here is tonight's update with the shout outs for those of you whose Simselves made guest star and cameo appearances.

They include: @Ra3Rei, @Penguinwa101, @SummerFalls, @Cathy Tea, @SilentWolf101 Wolf, @KitDragonFlight, @Simslover163 with his Sim, Shadow, @OJenn, @ Citizen Erased (Alexander), and @Derubelle. Enjoy!

https://silverslegacydiaries.wordpress.com/2016/01/20/hawaiian-roots-generation-4-hawaiian-sports-education-2/

Have a great night!
  • FayeShinomoriFayeShinomori Posts: 3,523 Member
    Just a quick update with pics of the kids. The girls are now Teens and the twins are now children.

Kiririsha: Teen%20Kiririsha_zps3uwgz8ai.png

Kylliki: Teen%20Kylliki_zpsli1adelj.png

I'm going to have to do the boys in a second post because the forum won't let me post all four pictures in one post, probably because they're so large.
  • FayeShinomoriFayeShinomori Posts: 3,523 Member
    And now for the boys:
    Vivasvat: Vivasvat%20Nolan_zps4xexv31j.png

Vamana: Vamana%20Nolan_zps18hc1r7t.png
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    One very lovely @ValoisFulcanelli gave me a much needed pep-talk and I've decided I'm going to give another shot at finishing it. I do so very much enjoy the story I'm writing. I even did my very first "character sheets" this past weekend for it. I've done extensive character bios - but I'd never tried one of the character sheets that bounce about the interwebs. :smile: It was a lot of fun.
    You're more than welcome. It always hurts my heart to see someone who loves to write putting down their pen, for whatever reason.
    Anyone know of a decent place to "Talk shop" about writing style and stuff like that? Preferably I'm looking for a place kinda like this, where people are friendly and welcoming, but where people also would be blunt and constructively critical? Maybe like a "writer's guild" sort of thread or something? I need to hash out some design philosophy (meaning I kinda need people to argue/debate with me) and I don't want to make anybody uncomfortable or make an unwelcoming environment. :cold_sweat:
    I, too, am looking for a place to 'talk shop' about writing. This thread used to be great for that; we had some brilliant discussions last year about writing, techniques, screencapping, hints and tips, etc. In the past few months, though, most of the people who took part in those discussions have drifted away, so I find myself hankering either for a return to that kind of discussion as part of this thread, or maybe a new thread on this forum (many of us don't even browse the TS4-specific story forum, since this thread is in the general 'stories and legacies' forum) wherein we can talk about that stuff.

I checked out the Writers' Workshop, as mentioned by @mastressalita and seconded by @Jes2G, but it doesn't seem to quite fit the bill for what I'm looking for. From the explanatory posts at the beginning, it's more of a place where a writer submits a piece of work, then asks several questions they want answered about that work ("does xyz seem realistic?" or "is there anything I can do to make ABC work a bit better?" etc) and that work is all that's discussed during that week. What I'm looking for (and I suspect what @RebornMonster is looking for, too) is somewhere to talk about all aspects of writing in general as well as Sims-specific writing, rather than discussing one individual submitted piece per week. Somewhere that writers can use to exchange tips, ask general questions, submit short sections of writing ad-hoc for a bit of on-the-fly help from anyone who's perusing the thread, posting workarounds for interesting screenshots, sharing building tips, offering links to great character sheets/generators/etc, and suchlike. We had quite a bit of that kind of discussion here in this thread a while back, and I really miss it. :/

Anyway, I'm off to work now. Hope everyone has a great day :)
    tfb.jpg
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    @RebornMonster @ValoisFulcanelli Try asking here? I think threads do change over time as people drift away. But I always enjoy thinking about the craft of writing and not just saying hello and letting folks know about posts. Nothing says the thread can't shift back? And if here doesn't work, we can always make a new thread. Or if neither option works, I just remembered there is a Art of Sim Stroytelling thread which is more craft focused.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    I checked out the Writers' Workshop, as mentioned by @mastressalita and seconded by @Jes2G, but it doesn't seem to quite fit the bill for what I'm looking for. From the explanatory posts at the beginning, it's more of a place where a writer submits a piece of work, then asks several questions they want answered about that work ("does xyz seem realistic?" or "is there anything I can do to make ABC work a bit better?" etc) and that work is all that's discussed during that week. What I'm looking for (and I suspect what @RebornMonster is looking for, too) is somewhere to talk about all aspects of writing in general as well as Sims-specific writing, rather than discussing one individual submitted piece per week. Somewhere that writers can use to exchange tips, ask general questions, submit short sections of writing ad-hoc for a bit of on-the-fly help from anyone who's perusing the thread, posting workarounds for interesting screenshots, sharing building tips, offering links to great character sheets/generators/etc, and suchlike. We had quite a bit of that kind of discussion here in this thread a while back, and I really miss it. :/

That's what the Writer's Lounge originally began as, and those conversations still take place, but they're buried under all the sidebar conversations about food and cats lol. If you find (or create) a thread like this, let me know!
    forum_final.png

ra3rei wrote: »
    @RebornMonster @ValoisFulcanelli Try asking here? I think threads do change over time as people drift away. But I always enjoy thinking about the craft of writing and not just saying hello and letting folks know about posts. Nothing says the thread can't shift back? And if here doesn't work, we can always make a new thread. Or if neither option works, I just remembered there is a Art of Sim Stroytelling thread which is more craft focused.

Agreed! Let's talk. :) Writing talk always brings me out of the shadows ;)

Never heard of that thread. Think I'll visit there.
    forum_final.png

...and for today's chapter...

Here's a deeper look at Skyla's frustration.

http://www.jes2gstories.com/9-80-frustration/
    forum_final.png

• BeachyPeasySandyBeachyPeasySandy Posts: 490 Member
    You're more than welcome. It always hurts my heart to see someone who loves to write putting down their pen, for whatever reason.
    I, too, am looking for a place to 'talk shop' about writing. This thread used to be great for that; we had some brilliant discussions last year about writing, techniques, screencapping, hints and tips, etc. In the past few months, though, most of the people who took part in those discussions have drifted away, so I find myself hankering either for a return to that kind of discussion as part of this thread, or maybe a new thread on this forum (many of us don't even browse the TS4-specific story forum, since this thread is in the general 'stories and legacies' forum) wherein we can talk about that stuff.

I saw your post on Tumblr, @ValoisFulcanelli and thought I'd pop on here and give my two cents. Being one of those drifters, I'd love to have a place where we can talk about writing, support each other, and give constructive criticism. I too looked around the forums trying to find an existing thread that provided those things, but like Valois said, it doesn't really exist. So count me in if that's an option, whether that be here or on a new thread! I love learning how others write their stories or work through a particularly difficult section.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @RebornMonster @ValoisFulcanelli @sandybeachgirl I will echo @ra3rei 's recommendation of the Art of Sims Storytelling thread. Very focused on writing, and not necessarily SimLit. There are great conversations and tips in that thread, and it's nice and slow-moving haha. :)
    snvAF3B.png
    @SilverDaybreak Thanks for having me! :3
    If anyone is interested, I did a video about everything I’ve learned in Photoshop in a year while editing my screenshots.

https://youtu.be/9WzIx15RRlM
    forum_final.png

edited January 2016
    That would be very useful to me, @Jes2G! @gurllivinlarge does some really great photo effects in her Bogsmirth Legacy that I really enjoy too, and I'd love to learn how to do things like that better. I'm using a super outdated version of Photoshop (and don't intend on upgrading it) but I'm sure there still must be a lot of the same filters and effects that have stuck around since those dark ages and things I could learn. I was actually just thinking of asking on here if anyone had some tips for how to create good "flashback" effects... like that kinda misty, whitish look, but without ruining the colors or blurring the image too much. I also would like to learn how to make an image sepia-toned! (I only know how to turn it black and white...)

I've learned so much about being a better in-game photographer from this thread! I never knew about the moviemaker cheat until I was taught about it from @RipuAncestor and now I use it all the time! I learned so many tips when I first joined this thread and was just learning how to use custom poses about the best way to do things, especially to keep my Sims from getting all glitched so I could keep playing after a pose session, and those tips have really worked out well for me! And my last short story I played around with using the keyboard shortcuts that I copied from @ValoisFulcanelli 's post not long ago, as before, I'd only been using the mouse in camera mode (ya, I'm so newb at these things still!) My biggest problem is I kept forgetting I wasn't in camera mode and they just had to make Q also the key for Quit (Are you sure you want to Quit? No game, no I don't, I'm just an idi*t and forgot to hit Tab first... AGAIN) but I think with more practice I'm going to get the hang of it! The "going up a floor and using Q to sink down" tactic actually worked really well for that durn sky showing through the ceiling problem! Before I'd settle for some really awful angles on shots because it was the only way to hide the ceiling, but now I know a few more ways to get creative around it, which is really nice!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    @mastressalita Does your version have photo filters? Sepia should be one of them.
    forum_final.png

@Jes2G : I'm not sure. When I say outdated... it's Photoshop 6.0 . Like, from the early 2000s. I had this from my first photoediting college course right when I graduated highschool... and I was a class 2k graduate. -_-;;
    sali_adbanner3.jpg