Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reading Roundup - A Sims Stories Sampling *DISCONTINUED*

mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
roundup.jpg

MasterpieceTheater.jpg

*DISCONTINUED*

Welcome! I'm Mastress Alita, author of Sim Stories and maintainer of the Stories and Legacies Index, a collective of Sim story links that aims to be the ultimate virtual library for any and all stories using a Sims game for its inspiration!

As part of my 2016 New Year's Resolution to do more reading, I decided to take a look at several of the lovely works that graced the virtual stacks of the Stories and Legacies Index! For the first half of the year, I sampled works registered with the Stories and Legacies Index, and then did a brief write-up about them here.

My goal had been to eventually get to feature each story registered with the Stories and Legacies Index at some point, but the large amount of time the project took and my mounting health concerns made that far too lofty of an endeavor. I also started to lose a lot of my initial momentum for the project when I just kept watching story after story I'd featured be put on perpetual hiatus, discontinued, or even the sites completely deleted, causing me to have to delete entire portions of my write-ups because I did not want to refer people to stories that no longer existed, and by the time my last edition came out, "It's Chic to be Geek!", an edition I'd put a particular amount of time and effort into, I just didn't really have many folks interested or reading this thread anymore. It was time to let the project go.

Is this the end of Reading Roundup? Yes and no. Currently I have very little time for reading, but when I do again, I will likely chat about what I read over in my new blog section, Teatime Tuesday, which also reviews tea (yes, tea). So if you want some Simlit reviews with your cuppa, that would be the place to check going forward.

To all that supported Reading Roundup last year, thanks so much!

plumbob.png

Table of Contents:

Edition #1: January Legacy Launch-Off!
Edition #2: Prettacies!
Edition #3: Disney Magic!
Edition #4: I'm Surrounded by Idi*ts!
Edition #5: I'm Surrounded by Idi*ts... In Reverse!
Edition #6: February Legacy Launch-Off!
Edition #7: Romanticly Challenged: Bachelor Challenges and More! Pt. 1
Edition #7: Romanticly Challenged: Bachelor Challenges and More! Pt. 2
Edition #8: Pet Parade!
Edition #9: Fantastic Fantasies!
Edition #10: Short Story Smorgasbord! Pt. 1
Edition #10: Short Story Smorgasbord! Pt. 2
Edition #11: From the Amazons!
Edition #12: Wonder Children!
Edition #13: Over the Rainbow!
Edition #14: A Very Random April Legacy Launch-Off!
Edition #15: Call the Doctor!
Edition #16: Oh Baby! Pt. 1
Edition #17: Oh Baby! Pt. 2
Edition #18: Under Arrest!
Edition #19: Do You Want to Be a Millionaire?
Edition #20: It's Chic to Be Geek! Pt. 1
Edition #20: It's Chic to Be Geek! Pt. 2
sali_adbanner3.jpg
Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
Post edited by mastressalita on

Comments

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    edited January 2017
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited September 2016
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    *reserved*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited January 2017
    Edition #1: January Legacy Launch-Off!
    Date: 01/03/16

Welcome to the premiere edition of Weekly Reading Roundup, where I sample selections of stories from the Stories and Legacies Index! Since it is the first week of the month, it is time to start off the new month with... Legacy Launch-off! However, since it is also a brand-new year, in this edition I am going to look at brand-new legacies! These are all legacies which have had their debut within the last three months, and are still within their first or second generation!

Story: Ashes to Ashes: A Legacy
    Simmer: @CitizenErased14
    Sims games featured: Sims 4
    Date of last update: 01/26/2017
    Total parts (active, ongoing): 5 gens

I haven't actually read this one yet, only because I am trying to avoid Dust to Dust spoilers the way people try to avoid Game of Thrones spoilers before they are able to sit down and watch the newest episode. But, it perfectly fits the theme of of this Reading Roundup, so I simply had to mention it regardless, even though I'll be checking it out in more depth at some later time this year (after I've read Dust to Dust!) The founder of the legacy, Alex, is the grandson of Lucas Ainsworth from Dust to Dust, and currently the legacy is being updated every day!

Story: Bogsmirth Legacy
    Simmer: @gurllivinlarge
    Sims games featured: Sims 4, Sims 3
    Date of last update: 10/15/2016
    Total parts (active, ongoing): 12

The Bogsmirth Legacy features Jimmy Bogsmirth, who has moved to Willow Creek from an unknown city and past he would rather forget to start anew. In typical legacy fashion his new "abode" consists of several furnishings out on an open lot -- though he's lacking in a fridge so he could have that really nice stove! -- and the story focuses a lot on both how he must get by while having so little and his frequent difficulties making friends among his neighbors due to his anti-social nature. The world of Willow Creek feels very alive, with the townies becoming legitimate "characters" with their own personalities, backstories, and motives, which really fleshes out the story. There are also some really nice effects used on the screencaps when necessary to give them a bit of charm (I particularly loved a flashback sequence that used screencaps from Sims 3, so very effective!)

Story: The Cohen Legacy
    Site: Simperalltheway
    Simmer: @Peach77
    Sims games featured: Sims 3
    Date of last update: 10/12/2016
    Total parts (hiatus): 11 (2 gens)

The Cohen Legacy is, as described by @Peach77: "The Cohen Legacy begins with Ruth Cohen, a charitable idealist who wants to escape her parents' sordid world of money and politics. She is Brave, Good, Charismatic, Rebellious, and has Commitment Issues. This is not a Legacy Challenge that starts from scratch, but rather the multi-generational story of a family, their dreams, emotions, and how they deal with the varied challenges of life." I found myself really immersed into this story of the conflicts surrounding social roles right from the first chapter! Ruth, a socialite who wishes to be anything but, falls for a handsome traveler passing through Hidden Springs at first sight, but is pulled into a political plot to have a false relationship with a prince -- the brother of her best friend, a runaway princess who is currently "missing" to the world at large and only she is privy to her her whereabouts -- instead. This is a great story filled with a lot of intrigue, but if you feel the need for a bit of humor with all that drama, some hilarious "outtakes" chapters are provided as well!

Story: A Day in the Life of the Foxcrests
    Simmer: @irishshedevil
    Date of last update: 11/20/2015
    Total parts (discontinued): 3 (1 gen)

This story is about Jessie Foxcrest, who moved to Midnight Hollow from Appaloosa Plains with $1500 to his name and rather than building himself any sort of shelter, he instead starts with the true necessities of life... a horse pen. For a horse he doesn't even have yet. Priorities! In his search to find a place to mooch food, he falls in love at first sight with the alluring Lucy Lau, befriends a stray horse, builds a lousy shack, and the road to his legacy is set. This story is written in what I like to call "Watcher-style," with Jessie exchanging dialogue with "The Great Simmer," and while that style may not be everyone's cup of tea, I find the back-and-forth banter and forth-wall jokes between author and sim in this absolutely hysterical! I also love that the @irishshedevil incorporates the use of dialogue and thought bubbles in the screenshots, and has some really hilarious conversations and lines based around them! If you are looking for something that might tickle your funny bone as a Sims player, I'd recommend checking the humble beginnings of this legacy out! It'll make you feel warm and fuzzy... like a romance based on teddy bears. ^_~

Story: The Huffman Legacy
    Site: Raerei's Fortress
    Simmer: @ra3rei
    Date of last update: 12/19/2016
    Total parts (active, ongoing): 2 gens

This is the premiere chapter of a new legacy by @ra3rei, who just completed the Pigglewiggle Legacy. The Huffman Legacy is, in her words, "despite the founder's appearance, not a Prettacy." Which is very unique! It is very rare to find Sims with physical imperfections, especially as legacy founders, unless the player is going for the challenge of a Prettacy, so I really enjoy the breath of fresh air of seeing a founder sim that doesn't look like a super model! It also appears he might have a bit of OCD as well (that obsession with cleanliness is going to make his humble beginnings without a roof over his head a real challenge!) and I'm curious to see what other quirks Arturo Huffman has as well. It will be interesting to see how his adventure develops!

Story: The Pollak Legacy
    Simmer: @pixalqueen
    Date of last update: 01/06/2016
    Total parts (discontinued): 7 (1 gen)

This legacy starts with founder Ebony Pollak, who starts her humble new life in Windenburg. After a chance encounter in a coffee shop leads to a steamy encounter at a club and a shotgun wedding, Ebony's new legacy is in full swing! The writing is very clever, somehow making events that are so common in The Sims (like those hasty romances to marriages!) look and feel believable, and the passage of time is also written in a believable way (Nine month pregnancies?! Huzzah!) I'm really enjoying Ebony and Max's domestic life so far!

Story: The Noble Legacy
    Site: Ruby10990: A Fellow Plumbob
    Simmer: @Ruby10990
    Date of last update: 02/24/2016
    Total parts (discontinued): 31 (2 gens)

The Noble Legacy follows Suki Noble, formerly from Bridgeport, as she settles down in Willow Creek to form a legacy. This is another legacy that is written in the style of author and sim exchanging banter about what is happening in the game to very humorous effect! It has some really clever lines, I got a real chuckle out of "If I knew what I was getting into beforehand I wouldn't have signed up for this crazy bandwagon with its gravity defying roofs!" (Oh, Sim roofs, the bane of every builder... *snrt*) This is a very humorous read, full of all sorts of important lessons, such as "Don't ask a guy his traits until you buy him a drink first," "Sim kisses are so epic their lips don't even need to touch," and "the average time it takes two Sims to get married is ten minutes." The writing style changes after the first four chapters, however, to just having Suki narrate the events of her life in first-person. However, the humor is still there. Recommended for a light-hearted read that is likely to make you laugh-out-loud at times!

Story: The Sterling Legacy
    Site: grinchsims
    Simmer: @emilyduru
    Date of last update: 12/31/2015
    Total parts (discontinued): 3 (1 gen)

The Sterling Legacy follows founder Vera Sterling, the "newest (and poorest) resident of Windenburg." An outdoorsy person, Vera doesn't really blend in with the "party scene" of her new surroundings, but manages to make some friends among the local gardening club, and once getting over her reservations about clubbing, meets the man of her dreams on the dance floor. A cute start to a Windenburg-themed legacy.

Story: Waters Legacy
    Simmer: @shiba306
    Date of last update: 05/22/2016
    Total parts (ongoing): 28 (2 gens)

This new legacy starts with Brooke Waters, a twenty-year-old who wakes up under a bridge in Newcrest with no memories. It is very intriguing to follow a legacy founder who is trying to discover her own past while at the same time build a new future for herself! There is an intriguing mysteriousness about things that will draw you in quickly and make you very invested to follow Brook as she starts her new life and discovers more about her past life through her present experiences. Try it out and you are sure to get pulled in!

That's it for my debut Weekly Reading Roundup! There might be a few others that fit the theme this month (new legacies started within the last three months that are still within the first two generations) that I didn't cover this week because I am saving them for Roundups I have planned in the future, so fear not! Next week I'll be looking at Prettacies in honor of "Peculiar People Day"!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • shiba306shiba306 Posts: 275 Member
    @mastressalita This is so nice of you. Thank you!
    banner.jpg
  • TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    Great idea and i will definitely be following this! I am so new to these wonderful stories. Here i can really get a taste of several types already in the coming month, i see. Will be checking in again for a sample now and then for sure. Thank you :)
    Thank you guys!

Already found a few issues of EA's filter messing with my review though... *grumbles and has to change out all instances of "s*cked" to some other equivalent* This is particularly annoying as in every instance it's a positive thing -- "being s*cked into the story" -- not a negative thing -- "well that s*cked." THANKS EA filter. I will forever find the filter on this forum a plummy plum full of plum-tastic plumination. And that's how I feel about that.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Thank you so much for giving my legacy a mention :blush: And your comparison between avoiding D2D spoilers and GoT spoilers made me giggle :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • pixalqueenpixalqueen Posts: 230 Member
    Oh wow! Thank you! I am now following suit and checking a few of these legacies out and adding them to my reading list. Thank you! You do great work here in the forums!
    edited January 2016
    @CitizenErased14 : Hahaha, that's what it feels like sometimes though! There are some things I just get the spoilers over with (did that with the new Star Wars movie, as my head makes watching things in the theater impossible for me and there was no way I was going to avoid spoilers for that for a year until the DVD comes out) but other things I really make an effort to avoid them, hahaha! I am hoping to read D2D in February though (thinking of doing it for Valentine's Day week... though I will be on vacation that week I realized, so I'll have to either work ahead or be late on my love-love romance edition!)

Thanks @pixalqueen ! As is the bane of most librarians, I felt like I was spending too much time cataloging, not enough reading. ^_~ So I'm trying to sample the different works from the Stories and Legacies Index each week and give a little summary of what they are about and point out some of the notable things about them, precisely to help guide readers to works that might interest them!

Hey, you have a new story! You should go submit it... (*wink wink nudge nudge*)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited January 2017
    Edition #2: Prettacies!
    Date: 01/10/16

Welcome to this week's edition of Weekly Reading Roundup, where I sample selections of stories from the Stories and Legacies Index! In honor of Peculiar People Day, observed on January 10th, this week I will be looking at Prettacies: a legacy challenge that features the twist of starting with a very unique Sim as far as physical appearance is concerned (often with a unique skin tone and very altered facial features) and attempting to "breed out" these supposedly "ugly" traits by the tenth generation of the legacy. Prettacies tend to focus on themes such as the "inner" beauty of a person, and sometimes acceptance, belonging, and loneliness, things that we as humans can easily relate. The founders of Prettacies tend to be very interesting characters, and really make this genre of SimLit a true pleasure to read! I highly suggest checking out the selection of reading below to find many peculiar -- but awesome! -- Sim legacy founders! Enjoy their adventures as they start new lives and begin to have many peculiar -- but awesome! -- children! Happy Peculiar People Day, and happy readings!

Story: The Elstree Prettacy
    Site: Distractedly Daydreaming: A Bit of Story
    Simmer: @sabreene
    Date of last update: 02/27/2016
    Total parts (hiatus): 48

The founder of the Elstree Prettacy is the daughter of a couple from an abandoned Uglacy challenge. Merriweather Barrows Elstree, daughter to one of the founding families of an uglacy town, grew up under strict rules concerning arranged marriages between children, and arranged couples had to produce at least three children before they could have other lovers or divorce. A cheerful and free-spirited girl with no interests in being tied down in an arranged marriage and being held to such strict rules, Merri decides to leave her hometown behind her and set off into the world to create a new life for herself. The setup for the story is great, and Merri is such an adorable and endearing character, it is easy to get completely immersed in her adventures! I just love that good-natured prankster side of her, which brings a light-hearted humorous tone into the story as well! A very fun read!

Story: The Huebsch Family: From Frog to Princess
    Simmer: @Marialein
    Date of last update: 09/30/2016
    Total parts (discontinued): 22 (2 gens)

The Huebsch Family begins with Marlene Heubsch, who has just moved to Willow Creek to start a new life and a family of her own after feeling like she never really belonged among her own family, which consisted of beautiful people with ugly insides, while she is beautiful on the inside but... not exactly on the outside. She sets herself a goal to one day have decendants as beautiful on the outside as she already knows she is on the inside. Marlene has an infectious positive attitude and a love for her children that is even greater than her gargantuan nose! She is such a sweet mother, and unlike many legacies where there is a lot of drama around the gender of the children and pressure placed on children over the "heir" or "spare" issue, I like that here that isn't present; Marlene is simply a mother that loves all her children with no disappointments, and lets her kids be kids with mo pressures of heirhood looming over their head. She has such a loving heart, and for that, it is impossible not to love her!

Story: Male Prettacy Challenge: Kasanovas - Cursed to Love and Be Ugly
    Site: Rose's Sims Stories
    Simmer: @roseinblack69
    Date of last update: 08/26/2016
    Total parts (discontinued): 89 (3 gens)

The Kasanovas - Cursed to Love and Be Ugly is a male prettacy featuring Adonis Kasanova, a member of the famous family started by legendary romancer Giacomo Casanova; except, hard times have befallen the family, for it has been cursed by a scorned witch to only produce ugly offspring. They continued to desire to be virtuosos of the romantic arts, but were left with the challenge of finding lovers that would accept them because of their outward appearances. And Adonis is tasked with the challenge of trying to break the curse, however many generations it may take. What is notable about Adonis is he really is a true "casanova" -- he is a master romancer with a lot of confidence when it comes to wooing the ladies, and he really wastes no time in doing so! He doesn't let his curse stand in his way towards overcoming it, he just takes on the challenge head on, which really shows his inner strength! There are some seriously adorable kiddos in this one, too!

Story: The Mansion on Horrid Hill: A Male Prettacy
    Simmer: @pammiechick
    Date of last update: 05/24/2016
    Total parts (hiatus): 43 (2 gens)

The Mansion on Horrid Hill is a male Prettacy about Harry Horrid, who was left orphaned in a gnome village and was raised by his adopted father. Picked on by the neighborhood kids for being "a troll" because of his green skin, Harry can't help but believe he is special, and is the son of fairies. On his birthday into young adulthood, he's gifted a letter that was left with him when he was a baby with strict instructions to not open it until that date, that reveals to him his true origins, a list of rules as heir of the Horrid line, and the inheritance of a plot of land: the Mansion on Horrid Hill. An inheritance which, ultimately, he ends up taking. I absolutely love the tone of the story, from the particular dialect of the characters, to the fantasy genre aesthetic, to its message: "What you are doesn't matter. What you will become does." It is also so fun to get to see the founder from the time he is a child all the way to adulthood; it adds so much depth to the character! I really get a sense of Harry and the world he lives in, and I can't get enough!

Story: The Miribi Prettacy
    Simmer: @Rinellie
    Date of last update: 01/02/2016
    Total parts (ongoing): 15 (1 gen)

The Miribi Prettacy follows Faeron Miribi, an alien from Sixam and the sole heir to the Miribi line. Not feeling particularly "at home" on her home planet due to the "superficiality of her species," who "worshipped what was beautiful and scorned what was not," she decides to put her own needs before that of her family line and leave Sixam, and starts a new life for herself on Earth, hoping that the humans here would put less value in beauty. Watching Faeron's journey into self-acceptance through her adventures into learning about humanity is a truly wonderful experience -- check out Chapter Two and you'll see exactly what I mean! Her particular manner of speaking, her naivity about the things around her, her vulnerabilty to misunderstandings from being in this strange new world make her so interesting and likable... and her character just becomes even more complex once human disguises become involved! I really love this alien spin on the Prettacy!

Story: Monstrous Mezilkree: From Grotesque to Gorgeous
    Simmer: @Twiggy
    Date of last update: 01/15/2017

Monstrous Mezilkree is a male prettacy about Equinus Mezilkree, a green troll who was born from mixed green and blue troll parentage. Despite his physical appearance, he's always felt closer to his mother's blue troll heritage -- blue trolls prefer rocks, stone, and metals for their homes rather than the green forests of their green counterparts, and tend to live in more metropolitan settings than quiet, secluded country homes out in the woods -- but when his mother passed away and his father left, he was left to be raised by his harsh grandparents on his father's side. Then, on the day before his birthday into adulthood, things change for Equinus when he receives word that his uncle on his mother's side has left him property in his will, and he has a chance to start a new, hopefully better life for himself. I love the fantastical spin on things with the race of trolls, and love how cleverly it is used as part of the plot to work in the "rules" of the Prettacy: "And, sir, above all do not forget there is a need to propagate! Have enough offspring to thin that green troll bloodline of yours!" It is so easy to really feel for Equinus, too: his loneliness, his awkwardness around women, his need to fit in and better his situation despite his troubled past. This is a really enjoyable prettacy and I can't wait to see how it develops!

From the Archives:

These are all Prettacies from the past that can be found in the Stories and Legacies Archive. Even though some of these stories have been discontinued, I always believe it is worth looking into these past works -- even a story unfinished has worth and shows great influence on the genre, and could hold great inspiration and new ideas to current or future Prettacy writers!

Story: Herping and Derping: A Sims 3 Prettacy
    Simmer: Reggie
    Date of last update: 03/29/2013
    Total parts (discontinued): 39 (3 gens)

This is a male Prettacy for Sims 3 that was discontinued before reaching the end of the challenge in 2013, but not before 39 parts were written, reaching generation three of the legacy. It is also a bit of a Wishacy on the side! It begins with founder Herp Derpington (okay, I can't help but love that name, but then, my official nickname is "Derpy" so I may be a little biased there) who, despite his looks, has an artistic nature and decides to embark in a career as a stylist and becomes entangled with the Caliente sisters. The story is written in that style of the all-knowing Water-author (known as the "Epic Voice Person" *snrk*) inserting commentary and exchanging dialogue with poor Derp, so the entire tone is quite humorous! Add the constant rolling of not-exactly-great wishes that have to be granted on top of seeking out potential baby mommies, and there are some quiet riotous parts!

Story: The Prettacy Family @ A Certain Reader
    Simmer: Candi020765
    Sims games featured: Sims 2
    Total parts (completed): 40 (10 gens)

This is actually the sequel to Candi's Uglacy, using the generation ten heir of the Uglacy as the founder for this Prettacy, so if you want the full backstory, it is best to start there! Candi's writing is quite hysterical in its tone, and it really is impossible to not laugh out loud at her quips at her Sims as they go about their lives.

Story: Ugly Duckling: A Sims 3 Prettacy
    Simmer: @Kyraa
    Date of last update: 12/01/2012
    Total parts (completed): 41 (4 gens)

This is a completed Sims 3 male Prettacy, though it only took four generations before the author felt she'd "gone as far as I can with the genetics and that the sims aren't going to get any prettier." The story begins with Homer del Saco (a clever play on the Spanish boogeyman "hombre del saco"), and unlike many Prettacies that have a "beautiful on the inside but ugly on the outside" theme, this guy is just as ugly on the inside as he is on the outside! But like the old fairy tales, can love tame the beast? There is a very "Beauty and the Beast" feel to this story between the founder and the lovely 🐸🐸🐸🐸 he meets

Story: Where Is My Life?: A Prettacy and ISBI Challenge
    Simmer: @15MagPies
    Date of last update: 01/08/2014
    Total parts (discontinued): 89 (4 gens)

This is a combined Prettacy and ISBI for Sims 3 that was discontinued in 2014, but had a whopping 89 parts written and reached generation 4 before the author stopped writing. The story begins with the absolutely stunning Vienna DeMarco, a successful actress who had it all when she is cursed by a witch to teach her a thing or two about real beauty and the true value of oneself. As a person who highly values a more accepting body-image-positive society for all body types, I really loved this line: "The problem is that you're not helping anyone! You aren't helping girls rise above what society may think of them, you're just pretending the problem doesn't exist. And when these kids believe you, they eventually get hurt worse." You go, witch! I couldn't help but feel immediately entranced from the first part. The story follows Vienna in her new unattractive form, stripped not only of her beauty but also her wealth, as she learns valuable lessons about what it is like to live life in a new pair of shoes.

Need more Prettacies? Check out the Book Club thread; they were highlighted during the weeks of November 23rd, 2015 - December 14th, 2015. A few that have never been submitted to the Stories and Legacies Index can be found linked there on the first post, and you can find some interesting discussions with forum members and the authors of the featured Prettacies further into the thread! Candi's Uglacy was also featured there this last week, and there is some fun discussion in the most recent posts on that story as well!

That's it for this week on Weekly Reading Roundup! Next week I'll be looking at Disney-themed stories in honor of "Make Your Dreams Come True Day!" Are you excited? I sure am! If you have a Disney-themed story and want to make sure you get in on the fun, make sure you submit your story to the Stories and Legacies Index asap!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    @mastressalita Thank you so much for mentioning my male prettacy in such positive way, dear :)

... and myself i read three and am sampling the two remaining out of the five other prettacies mentioned. I can't help myself, i really like my regular dose of ugly so you will haha :)

Hugs
    Thanks @Twiggy ! I really love them too! I'm a bit sad that The Cloud Prettacy by @Meggles completely skirted under my radar since it was on a tumblr rather than her Wordpress so I wasn't getting updates spoonfed to me through my Wordpress Reader (I didn't even learn of its existance until I read a status update that did come through my Wordpress Reader! Maybe I'll get more Prettacy submissions in the future and will get to do a Round Two at some point...
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Ah good to hear that!

I am definitely having fun on Wordpress myself. Getting the hang of it. Monstrous Mezilkree is all up to date there also :)
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Thanks Twiggy ! I really love them too! I'm a bit sad that The Cloud Prettacy by Meggles completely skirted under my radar since it was on a tumblr rather than her Wordpress so I wasn't getting updates spoonfed to me through my Wordpress Reader (I didn't even learn of its existance until I read a status update that did come through my Wordpress Reader! Maybe I'll get more Prettacy submissions in the future and will get to do a Round Two at some point...

Aw, thanks for the shoutout and sorry for not announcing my story better on Wordpress!!! I wasn't anticipating it being anything of substance besides fun to play (it is!) and amusing offspring. :3
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I can see this thread becoming a big confidence boost for many writers in the future. You're so awesome for taking the time to write these posts :) I'm excited to see what other stories you will feature soon.
    edited January 2017
    Edition #3: Disney Magic!
    Date: 01/17/16

Welcome to this week's edition of Weekly Reading Roundup, where I sample selections of stories from the Stories and Legacies Index! This week I'll be looking at a selection of works with a Disney theme, in honor of Make Your Dream Come True Day, because let's face is... isn't that what Disney stories tend to be all about?

Most of these works are Disney Legacy Challenges, which take the legacy challenge and give it a decidedly Disney spin, by theming certain generations around specific Disney princesses, which usually include very specific challenges specific to each princess based on her fairy tale. There are many different variations on this challenge available, using many different Disney princesses, and versions of the challenge have been around for most versions of The Sims.

While the majority of the stories in the Stories and Legacies Index that are Disney-themed fit the above, fear not! There are some standard legacies with Disney-inspired characters, some Disney-themed Alphabetacies, and even a bachelor challenge using Disney princesses in the below samplings as well! Plenty of variety for any Disney fan!

Story: Charming-Disney Legacy
    Simmer: @MadameLee
    Date of last update: 12/28/2015
    Total parts (discontinued): 41 (7 gens)

The Charming-Disney Legacy begins with Anne Charming (a Simself!), who has just moved to Willow Creek with her sister's family and some friends to leave behind a legacy. This story starts out as a traditional legacy rather than a "Disney legacy challenge," as the first two generations don't really follow any of the Disney legacy challenge twists, but starting in generation 3, those elements do make an appearance, when the generation three heir's daughter, Heather, is kidnapped and forced to cook and clean for her new household until she is rescued from her situation from a future love interest... an interesting take on the "Cinderella" generation from the traditional Disney legacy challenge! Things really start picking up from there and other fairy tales also make an appearance in various ways! Many of the townies are also familiar Disney faces, and their own children end up being potential love interests for the legacy children! (And can I just say that I love the fact these legacy ladies are rocking such gorgeous curves? Makes this big girl happy!) I also love the use of the newspaper clippings, news broadcasts, and Simbook chats!

Story: The Disney Family Legacy
    Site: Raisha's Sims 4 Blog
    Simmer: @Raisha
    Date of last update: 02/05/2016
    Total parts (hiatus): 12 (3 gens)

The Disney Family Legacy is a traditional legacy that begins with Walter Disney as its founder. A poor man with big dreams to "to see a brighter world, full of color and art, and people being kind to one another." To make these dreams come true he pursues art and starting a family for himself. The legacy children are all named after famous Disney characters! I absolutely love Walter's positive attitude and determination, and really enjoy all the cute little Disney quotes woven so skillfully into the writing, which is just such a nice touch! Even the quotes by Walt Disney which are used as the chapter headings are just so charming! I also really appreciate how well this legacy handles rather deep topics like mental illness, "coming out", domestic quarrels, and the struggles of trying to raise good kids who have difficult personalities. The writing and characterization are really great, and I'm really enjoying seeing how this legacy family develops.

Story: Disney Legacy: The Blancs
    Site: Sim-ply Awesome Stories
    Simmer: @swcheppes
    Date of last update: 01/22/2017
    Total parts (active, ongoing): 5 gens

The Blancs is a Disney Legacy Challenge that follows in the traditional vein of the challenge, where each generation is based on a particular Disney Princess, and the Sims reflect their Disney counterparts in appearance and personality. The first generation begins with Snow Blanc (obviously based on Snow White), having recently moved away from her evil stepmother to start a more pleasant life for herself. Snow's children are so adorable, and their characterization is excellent! The legacy continues with generation two based on Cinderella, generation three based on Tiana, and generation four based on Pocahontas! Lots of the townies are familiar Disney faces making appearances as well! The characters are great, the developments enticing, and there are also a lot of funny moments and some laughable tongue-in-cheek comments that get me every time! The Blancs are a family you won't want to miss!

Story: The Disney Princess Bachelor Challenge
    Site: Rory Plays the Sims
    Simmer: @Rorygilmore34
    Date of last update: 01/07/2016
    Total parts (completed): 26

The Disney Princess Bachelor Challenge is a video let's play of a bachelor challenge featuring Prince Charming as the bachelor and seven Disney princesses -- Anna, Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Snow White -- as the contestants for his affection. Various group dates give all the girls a chance to interact with the bachelor, but winning challenges allow them to have the opportunity to go on solo dates with him to really boost affection levels and keep themselves in the competition and gain immunity from elimination competitions. Only one Princess will rise to the top to win Prince Charming's hand in marriage! There is a lot of tension and drama, and it's really easy to go into an episode-binge to find out what will happen next! @Rorygilmore34 is such a pleasure to listen to, the Sims created by @SummerFalls look great, and there are some really amazing lots on display throughout as well! A very fun watch that will have you rooting for your favorites!

Story: Disney Princess Challenge
    Simmer: @putacece4lyfe
    Date of last update: 12/23/2016
    Total parts (active, ongoing): 37 (3 gens)

This Disney Princess Challenge follows the Disney Legacy Challenge, but the story begins at Generation 3 with Pocahontas, with just a brief recap dedicated to Snow White of Generation 1 and Cinderella of Generation 2. Pocahontas, recently adopted by her aunt Cinderella, has been shouldered with the responsibility of being heir to the family fortunes, but with the responsibility, her aunt is busy trying to find her a suitor that she trusts. But Pocahontas is far more interested in a mysterious blue-skinned stranger she meets in the woods... will she choose to remain the heir of her family, or to follow her heart? I really like the development between Cinderella and Pocahontas in this story (and can I just give a bit fat yay to having a non-traditional family that features an aunt caring for her late sister's children as if they were her own?); there are familial struggles that have to be overcome, there is love and loss, and there are some really cute parallels between the two if you look for them (I find it adorable how Pocahontas takes up cooking and cleaning once the previous founder is gone, even though she does so poorly at it, and how stories of Cinderella's legendary cooking leave an impression for the next heir, Tiana... such a cute way of tying the different generations together!)

Story: Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 1 (Elsa) / Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 2 (Belle) / Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 3 (Rapunzel) / Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 4 (Mulan) / Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 5 (Aurora) / Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 6 (Jasmine) / Disney Princess Legacy Challenge: Generation 7 (Snow White)
    Site: Spacey Sims' YouTube Channel
    Simmer: @Spacey72659 (YouTube: Spacey Sims)
    Date of last update: 02/19/2016
    Total parts (completed): 114 (7 gens)

This video Let's Play series on the Disney Legacy Challenge randomizes all of the generations rather than starting with Snow White for generation one, then doing Cinderella for generation two, as is the standard, which makes it a bit unique in that you get to see some of the other Princesses that are normally featured later in the challenge early on! This was actually great for me, since as I was sampling stories, I got to read a lot of Snow White, Cinderella, and Pocahontas, but this allowed me to get to get a taste of some of the other Princesses as well! It's also really interesting to see how Spacey ties the different generations together from a story-telling perspective when they are told in a completely different order. She throws in some other interesting twists and spins on the individual generation challenges as well (such as making Belle the "Beast" Sim that will receive the beauty make-over after bearing a child after her first generation children didn't... turn out so great, heh). It's a lot of fun, as things definitely don't always go according to plan! (Elsa's generation, where the challenge states she is to be left a single mother to a single child, is a good example, as that... isn't exactly how things turn out. Watch and you'll see what I mean!) This legacy is pretty far along, which makes it good both for binge-watching, or for jumping around and selecting your favorite princess if you are really curious about a specific princess' challenge. Check it out!

Story: Lost Princess Legacy
    Simmer: @solarafey
    Date of last update: 12/14/2015
    Total parts (discontinued): 1 (1 gens)

The Lost Princess Legacy is another Disney Princess Challenge that has already been played through the first two generations (Snow White and Cinderella) and now the story is starting off at generation three (Tiana). Right now the story is just starting, with a nice recap of the previous generations, starting with Snow White's origins and describing her seven children, which all have such cute little backstories based on the dwarves. I'm definitely interested in seeing the Cinderella recap story and how things will progress from there with Tiana!

Story: More Than a Princess: The Rossini Family Legacy
    Site: TrulyCurly
    Simmer: @CharmingMaruska
    Date of last update: 01/12/2017
    Total parts (active, ongoing): 3 gens

More Than a Princess: The Rossini Family Legacy is a Disney Legacy Challenge that kicks the story off right from the beginning with the Snow White generation. It starts with legacy founder Eira Rossini, who despite starting with next to nothing manages to find the love of her life, Adrian Allred, and start building a big happy family for herself. Eira and Adrian's romance is adorable, and all of their children have so much personality! What I really love about this legacy are all those little touches that veer into the "non-traditional," which to me, are just such a breath of fresh air. There are so many little touches here that I don't often get to see in legacies that I really enjoyed, but I feel like if I gave specific examples it might give away too much; read it and you'll see what I mean! You'll love this legacy like a bowl of tasty yogurt and a well-timed llama joke.

Story: Once Upon a Legacy
    Simmer: @Socallucyfan
    Date of last update: 01/27/2017

Once Upon a Legacy is a legacy where every generation is based on a fairy tale, so while it doesn't brand itself as being Disney inspired, it is certainly at home with this theme. The first generation is based on the Cinderella Challenge, and follows Cindy Rella, who dreams of finding her Prince Charming and escaping her evil stepmother's household, where she has to cook and clean for her gold-digger stepmother and her two stepsisters, one a lazy glutton and the other a flirty snob intent on following in her mother's footsteps. The first two chapters are written in gameplay log style following the challenge, but change to story-format by the third chapter. This is a really fun modern retelling of the Cinderella story, introducing an actual godmother to Cindy that was friends with her parents that wants to do what she can to help her, and a popular and charming classmate that fulfills the role of her "prince charming." And remember Lucifer, the troublesome cat from the Disney movie? This story features Lucifur, a destructive and precocious housecat that makes the most hilarious bug-eyed expressions and fills me with far too much amusement for my own good (who would ever suspect me of being amused by a Sim-cat, right? ^_~ ) A charming rendition of the Cinderella tale, I can't wait to see more, and see what other fairy tales might be in store in the future!

Story: The Walt Disney Legacy
    Simmer: @DaynaGail
    Date of last update: 02/17/2016
    Total parts (discontinued): 15 (2 gens)

The Walt Disney Legacy is not a Disney Legacy Challenge, but rather an Alphabetacy, a legacy with the intention of last twenty-six generations, with the off-spring of each generation all being named starting with a letter of the alphabet. For this particular story, the Alphabetacy is Disney-themed, starting with Walt Disney as the founder, with all the children from the first generation being named after Disney characters that have first names that begin with "A," all the children from the second generation being named after Disney characters that have first names that begin "B," and so forth. This is a very humorous story that is written in the style of the main character exchanging dialogue with the author, giving it that "breaking the fourth wall charm." There are also some screenshots of some game glitches that absolutely had me rolling on the floor (I will never get over seeing that headless plumber!). I love the light-hearted tone and the ability of this legacy to always put a smile on my face and get me to laugh out loud!

Story: Wishing Upon a Star 2.0
    Simmer: @Lynnwood
    Date of last update: 11/24/2016

Wishing Upon a Star 2.0 is also a Disney-themed Alphabetacy, featuring a founder named after Walt Disney. It is written in the narration-style, with the characters occassionally exchanging dialogue with the author to humorous effect. Walt, an aspiring author, meets his love-at-first-sight, Molly, at the library and his legacy is quickly off to a start when their whirlwind romance leads to many adorable children named after Disney characters with A-names (So happy to see Sword and the Stone is not utterly forgotten)! Currently the B-generation heir is ready to continue on the legacy with his partner, who happens to be a familiar face from the Disney franchise. There are some really funny lines here (surprisingly many are from Maximus, the wooden horse sculpture that sits on the desk next to the computer, bwahaha)! With such a humorous tone, there are many laugh-out-loud moments to be had! (That Arthur, he gets me every time...)

From the Archives:

Story: The Royale Legacy: A Disney Legacy Challenge
    Simmer: @JordanNicoleJJ
    Date of last update: 08/25/2015
    Total parts (on hiatus): 36 (3 gens)

For my From the Archives segment this week, I'd like to highlight The Royale Legacy: A Disney Legacy Challenge, which is currently on hiatus but has 36 parts completed currently and is currently in the third generation, so there is plenty of great reading to behold at the moment! This story is a Disney Legacy Challenge, and follows the typical Princess generations (Snow White, Cinderella, Tiana, etc.) Follow legacy founder Snow Royale in her quest for a big happy family surrounded by seven children, which is carried on by resident domestic Lucinda Royale who wants to leave behind a successful lineage when she isn't cooking meals and cleaning up the house, and wrap up the adventure so far with Tiana Royale, who has great ambitions for herself and aspires to be a master chef. I love the humor that comes across in the writing, the uniqueness of the sims, and the way that strange glitches can make for the most hilarious stories (that Goldilocks and the Three Bears tie-in during the Snow White generation was hysterical!)

Next week it's... SQUIRREL! Oh, sorry about that. What was I talking about? Oh right, it's Squirrel Appreciation Day (yes, that's a thing), so we'll be looking at all the nutty things those Sims get up to when they are left autonomous by taking a look at ISBIs! Then the following week, for Opposite Day, we'll take a look at their backwards counterpart, the BISBI!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @mastressalita Thank you so much for the spotlight on my Disney challenge and your kind words :)
  • RaishaRaisha Posts: 129 Member
    @mastressalita Thank you for featuring me! Wow, I didn't realize just how many Disney-themed stories there were in the Sim community. I'll have to check out the others you've featured. :)
    disneysig3.jpg
    The Disney Legacy: 2/5 chapter: 3.4 Fill the World with Sunshine
    @Raisha : I'm sure there are plenty more out in the community, these just happen to be all the ones that have listed themselves with the directory I maintain, the Stories and Legacies Index. That's what I'm using for my Weekly Reading Roundups so I'm at least dealing with a small pond of stories rather than the vast ocean of "all SimLit ever." I'm certainly kept busy just with the 210 or so (and growing) entries in the Stories and Legacies Index and hope to eventually get to sample them all. It's really fun to get to pick out the different themes and see different works on a particular theme though! I definitely had fun with Disney.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,050 Member
    What an amazing idea this is, @mastressalita !! So very helpful for people like me - I have very little time to do the research myself so it's great to have everything here with a little description of the story - it's much easier for me to choose something to read like this! Very neat!

And also, thank you for the kind words about my story (and all the sweet comments you posted on my blog) - things like this really warms my heart :)
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    @mastressalita I'm deeply honored that you selected and enjoyed The Disney Princess Bachelor Challenge! It was such a fun series to play! :) (And my first ever Let's Play)

Thank you for watching and commenting on the videos! You cracked me up! :)

And most of all, thank you for your love, support, and encouragement. It means a lot to me! :)
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    @mastressalita you are very kind. and I thank you so much for featuring me in this weeks segment. I'm glad you enjoyed my legacy thus far. I love your dedication to reading all these stories and summarizing them. And you're comments on my blog are amazing. They make me happy. Thank you so much.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus