Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can a macbook pro 13 inch run sims 4 ( with Retina Display)

emuzazasemuzazas Posts: 1 New Member
edited January 2016 in Mac - Technical Discussions
Hi, I would just like to know if a macbook pro with Retina can run sims 4 with mods and cc smoothly.

Comments

• Options
    cooldood555cooldood555 Posts: 82 Member
    Yep. Mine is 13" inch Retina, early 2015. Works great!
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Just be wary of heat. Part of the whole "Mac" thing is that they run cool and quiet - and the exhaust ports on the current generation are but mere slits, which I can't imagine aid very much in heat evacuation, along with the actual fan port that dumps the heat out into the lid hinge (but that is significantly obstructed by, uh, the hinge. Go figure.) Laptops in general already have issues with heat since they are in such small, cramped housings. I would definitely advise using a cooling mat whenever you are playing games or doing anything resource-intensive like that. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Nearia35 wrote: »
    Just be wary of heat. Part of the whole "Mac" thing is that they run cool and quiet - and the exhaust ports on the current generation are but mere slits, which I can't imagine aid very much in heat evacuation, along with the actual fan port that dumps the heat out into the lid hinge (but that is significantly obstructed by, uh, the hinge. Go figure.) Laptops in general already have issues with heat since they are in such small, cramped housings. I would definitely advise using a cooling mat whenever you are playing games or doing anything resource-intensive like that. :)

The aluminium casing helps dissipate the heat, it's not just there to look pretty. Mac's run "cool and quiet" because of the way the UNIX based OS utilises the CPU. It's a well known fact. Are you having a problem with your Mac overheating?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    The aluminium casing helps dissipate the heat, it's not just there to look pretty. Mac's run "cool and quiet" because of the way the UNIX based OS utilises the CPU. It's a well known fact. Are you having a problem with your Mac overheating?

Not personally, although my sister just replaced her Air which died from being smothered in blankets while she watched netflix, and my mother-in-law's MBP that is sitting around the house that is mysteriously dead for all intents and purposes - the fans scream (loud as far as Macs go, at least) when you turn it on before it just turns itself back off a couple seconds later.

Regardless of the OS, it's the video chip that does the heavy lifting when it comes to rendering something like TS4 ;) If you have a previous generation, nVidia chips tend to heat up a bit, especially with higher resolution screens when they have to pump out 2x as many pixels if you're equipped with the Retina display. I haven't been paying attention to see how well the newest generation does with the AMD chip. Intel Iris graphics will probably run even cooler than either AMD or nVidia's chips do.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    ZemnodZemnod Posts: 99 Member
    It runs the sims 4 smoothly, heck I even record video's with my tiny little mac :) but as it has already been told, be careful for overheating, you don't want to damage your laptop. But mostly you should be fine..
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Nearia35 wrote: »

Not personally, although my sister just replaced her Air which died from being smothered in blankets while she watched netflix, and my mother-in-law's MBP that is sitting around the house that is mysteriously dead for all intents and purposes - the fans scream (loud as far as Macs go, at least) when you turn it on before it just turns itself back off a couple seconds later.

Regardless of the OS, it's the video chip that does the heavy lifting when it comes to rendering something like TS4 ;) If you have a previous generation, nVidia chips tend to heat up a bit, especially with higher resolution screens when they have to pump out 2x as many pixels if you're equipped with the Retina display. I haven't been paying attention to see how well the newest generation does with the AMD chip. Intel Iris graphics will probably run even cooler than either AMD or nVidia's chips do.

That's the biggest problem, people not allowing the air to circulate. In 26 years I have never had a Mac overheat on me and I make them work for their money.

Yes, the graphics do a lot of work but so does the CPU. Metal is now integrated into El Capitan for some newer Macs which takes some of the load off the GPU, that is OS related. And it's well known how stable and efficient Unix based OSs are which is why OS X runs so smoothly.

Have you checked what is loading the CPU so heavily in your MiL's MBP? Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC? Have you taken the bottom casing off (non-retina only) and cleared out the dust? Have you tried target disk moding it to your sister's MBA?
    apple-signature.png