Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Bad Is Patch 1.69

thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member
How gamebreaking is this patch? I've heard all about the annoyance with having to open origin every time and ticking the eps and sps each time, but what else about the game does this patch break? What i'm really concerned about is if it eliminates the TSWexe. in which case, would it somehow still be possible to use programs like Razer Game Booster or use Nvidia control panel to v-sync my game? Without v-sync I could see there being much more lag, and a dead graphics card.

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've heard with the patch that it uses TS3.exe now, not TS3W.exe. That's just something I read though.

I have no idea about the Nvidia Control panel. I play in a window so vsync doesn't work for me anyways. I used Nvidia Inspector to set Nvidia's Frame Rate Limiter to 60 for it's Sims 3 profile (which covers TS3W.exe and TS3.exe and 2 other executables). Seems to work for 1.67.

As far as game breaking, the patches do break core mods just because of the version number change. From what I understand though, the patches didn't do anything to actual gameplay. They just made the game require Origin (and no longer require a disk) to play.

The first 1.69 patch did break CAW, but the 2nd one supposedly fixed that (with the updated CAW).
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    There is nothing wrong with Patch 1.69; I have it and have no issues. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    What is wrong with this patch is that you can no longer bypass the launcher using the TS3W shortcut to open your game. When I open my game with the launcher a bug creates tmp files in my dccache files, which doubles the amount of content in this folder. This makes my game lag and stutter. Therefore, I don't like the new patch.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I never got 169 and decided to stay with 167 because I don't want to run Origin in the background while I'm in the game.I've heard so many with 169 having to rebuy their base games to roll back to 167 after the new patch broke their game or left them unable to run everything.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I never got 169 and decided to stay with 167 because I don't want to run Origin in the background while I'm in the game.I've heard so many with 169 having to rebuy their base games to roll back to 167 after the new patch broke their game or left them unable to run everything.

That was another issue. When I was playing on 1.69 with Origin in the background the fans in my laptop were running nonstop.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    What is wrong with this patch is that you can no longer bypass the launcher using the TS3W shortcut to open your game. When I open my game with the launcher a bug creates tmp files in my dccache files, which doubles the amount of content in this folder. This makes my game lag and stutter. Therefore, I don't like the new patch.

I understand those tmp files are not a bug, but are there by design. See the "Purpose of the TMP files" section on this page on crinrict's blog:

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/black-screen-long-loading-times-and-tmp-files-in-dccache.html

I bypass the launcher currently (still on 1.67) and have those tmp files. Probably because I installed Store content recently. I never think to delete them since they just come back.
    @TreyNutz Yes, my understanding is the tmp files were created to solve the problem of store content disappearing ingame. If you look at the bottom of that page you linked, according to Crinrict the only solution is to boot your game without the launcher, because any time you use the launcher to start the game, the files are going to come right back. I even bought TWO (cause the first one was used and messed up) pre-2012 discs to be able to boot my game without the launcher!

Ciane has solved the problem of store items disappearing with her installation instructions. :)
  • thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member
    So i guess it's kinda a hit or miss with some players. I kinda just want to update anyway because I still have a few more stuff packs to download, and avoiding 1.69 seems to be more of a trouble then just accepting it.
    You can't avoid it anymore if you download EPs or SPs from Origin. You have to update your game before you're allowed to download.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Let us know if the world ends. I might be forced into it soon.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Okay late update (but I don't start school again until next week anyway :tongue: ): I just updated to 1.69, and I was able to still V-sync my game and use Razer Game Booster with TS3.exe and so far no issues regarding gameplay or performance. Granted this is only a few seconds/few minutes play, but still my game is playing no different than it did before I updated. :grin:
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    You can't avoid it anymore if you download EPs or SPs from Origin. You have to update your game before you're allowed to download.
    hey @zeegee what is that you are not able to download now without being updated?

also are you saying with the tmp files installed your game runs with issue? i hate the tmp files they corrupted my game save files and i had to hunt down all 30 gb of CC and reinstall and to date give they me problems with the launcher. my work around is to pull to the desktop my dccache folder before i open the game launcher i then add back the file install CC or store or launch game. it still generates tmp files but its not an issue once i get past the launcher
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

That was another issue. When I was playing on 1.69 with Origin in the background the fans in my laptop were running nonstop.

I have this same problem on the sims 4 and so do a lot of others. Never figured if it was origin or TS4 patch.I wonder if its Origin causing this issue? @chesterbigbird
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    hey @zeegee what is that you are not able to download now without being updated?

also are you saying with the tmp files installed your game runs with issue? i hate the tmp files they corrupted my game save files and i had to hunt down all 30 gb of CC and reinstall and to date give they me problems with the launcher. my work around is to pull to the desktop my dccache folder before i open the game launcher i then add back the file install CC or store or launch game. it still generates tmp files but its not an issue once i get past the launcher

@ceejay402 You can no longer download your expansion or stuff packs from Origin without updating. I have a new laptop and when I realized I couldn't access any of my EPs or SPs, I decided to try again with 1.69. Was hoping maybe they'd fixed the tmp file issue or maybe it wouldn't be an issue on a new laptop, but it was just as bad. My game will load with the tmp files but it takes forever. It also makes my game lag and stutter. Loading screens in CAS take ages. I have a new gaming laptop with all the latest specs so it's not my laptop.

@phoebebebe13 I rolled back to 1.67 (decided to do without my EPs until I can get discs) and am no longer having the fan problem.
    @ZeeGee I have always been on patch 1.67 , no origin with the sims 3 and plays on my laptop just fine. With the sims 4 we had an origin update and a game patch at the same time and fans started racing. If yours stared when you were locked into origin on the sims 3 I wonder if origin is the cause for fan issues.
    @phoebebebe13 That sounds probable.
    @phoebebebe13 That sounds probable.

I think more so origin than the game patch. Sims 4 we are stuck with origin no matter what. I stopped playing it a long time ago especially because of the fan issue on my laptop
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    This is flat out wrong to the point where is is extreme cruelty, the shananigans that EA/Maxis will do just to profit and manipulate. We had a perfectly playable game(albeit the many issues we had to get mods to correct as best as possible) but now you go and do this rediculous patch, that was not even to repair games or fix boken crap that was left broken long after EA moved on to sims 4, mind you, but now we can't even play our sims 3 games...this is very disheartening.

EA/MAXIS are you really that annoyed that so many simmers are returning to Sims 3 because Sims 4 is not the game they want, or are still very much sticking with Sims 4, but are choosing to play Sims 3 while we wait for Sims 4 to become "better" for lack of a better word?

You really care nothing about Sims 3, and are clearly done with it, but you come back and mess with it, and walk away like "well, sorry you may not be abe to play this game, and by the way if you are using the launcher...wait, of course you are using the launcher, well, you really should now only tick a couple of the expansions to play with...now listen, yes we are aware that you paid for those EP's, but here's the deal, if you play them all you might not be able to play them at all. Here's some good news though, Sims 4 is a game where you rule."

EA/Maxis should reimburse every last consumer who spent well earned money to purchase the sims 3 and subsequent EP's, and anything to do with Sims 3
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Here's another down side to the lovely 1.69 patch that we are forced to use if we got any of our content as dlc and have to reinstall said content for any reason. (Mine, motherboard died & had to install a new one. :( )

Before patch 1.69 if you had multiple users on the same pc, don't laugh shared pc's still happen, all users were able to play s2/s3 but now with patch 1.69 other users may no longer access and play sims 3 or any game tied to the origin launcher unless they have their own origin account (and I'm not even sure if that will work, it's to be tested).

So myself at this point I'm trying to decide if movie stuff, diesel stuff (can probably easily live without don't use much from it), IP, & ITF are really worth being tied to origin and ea's slaverapidly changing rules collar.

strong word choices on purpose, as I feel as if by forcing us to use origin & the origin launcher ea/maxis has violated the original tos under which we purchased our original sims 3 content user licenses ever so long ago
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I never got 1.69 and decided to stay with 1.67 because I don't want to run Origin in the background while I'm in the game. I've heard so many with 1.69 having to rebuy their base games to roll back to 1.67 after the new patch broke their game or left them unable to run everything.

I bought my base game and ep's fair and square, the game runs great now, and I refuse to tie it to Origin. Also, I always bypass the launcher -- love being able to do that. There is no "better gameplay" reason to update now -- EA just wants to get its fingers into your game.

• MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Before patch 1.69 if you had multiple users on the same pc, don't laugh shared pc's still happen, all users were able to play s2/s3 but now with patch 1.69 other users may no longer access and play sims 3 or any game tied to the origin launcher unless they have their own origin account (and I'm not even sure if that will work, it's to be tested).

:s And tested >:( >:( >:( :s
    That was a waste of 15 minutes, and now I have a surplus email addy which will never get used to boot, in addition to a surplus ea/origin account.

Having a second login for other users does not work as ea/origin/maxis (the real axis of e... to quote a former president :/ ) as games already installed still can't be opened.

So ea has truly gone for the money grab in requiring each user on a pc to have their own codes for the same game. :/

If I missed a step or same code can be used for multiple accounts, which I understood as a no-no, on the same pc I'd like to read about it.

I guess in the meantime I'll be keeping my eye out for some used/on sale cheap physical copies of the 4 add on's I had gotten as dlc, same for the one and only add on for ts2 that I never got. As far as ts2 goes I think I'll be uninstalling the everything in one UC copy and reinstalling the game from discs.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited January 2016
    So most of the problems people have with patch 1.69 are about being forced to login with origin and the whole principle of that, which I can understand and feel the same way. But are there any actual gamebreaking glitches, bugs, addition lag issues, etc., that this patch does for anyone. I've heard a few things, but I've been playing on 1.69 for quite a bit and haven't experienced additional issues or glitches.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    But are there any actual gamebreaking glitches, bugs, addition lag issues, etc., that this patch does for anyone.
    Only to the extent that players who never had to have Origin and the Launcher running before to get their game started now do so. It's not just a philosophical issue, those items add overhead to the running of their computers.

Along the way it also further broke CAW, now fixed by EA, broke a third party tool called CCMagic, and caused the failure of third party core mods that rely on precise game build numbers to suppress a core version mismatch error upon startup until the small number of such mods were updated by their developers.

The new patches 1.69, all three of them, do not affect gameplay directly at all. The code the game runs once it actually does get launched remains unchanged.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    > @igazor said:
    > thesimsisepic wrote: »
    >
    > But are there any actual gamebreaking glitches, bugs, addition lag issues, etc., that this patch does for anyone.
    >
    >
    >
    > Only to the extent that players who never had to have Origin and the Launcher running before to get their game started now do so. It's not just a philosophical issue, those items add overhead to the running of their computers.
    >
    > Along the way it also further broke CAW, now fixed by EA, broke a third party tool called CCMagic, and caused the failure of third party core mods that rely on precise game build numbers to suppress a core version mismatch error upon startup until the small number of such mods were updated by their developers.
    >
    > The new patches 1.69, all three of them, do not affect gameplay directly at all. The code the game runs once it actually does get launched remains unchanged.

Thanks for clearing it up. I just feel like people kept spouting horrors about this patch left and right and each issue was either about origin or each about a different random issue and I could just never figure out how bad it was without trying it out myself. While I do miss how I could just bypass the launcher through the exe., I can live with having to be logged in with origin at all times since I do it with The Sims 4 anyway. But for people who have a hard time with origin, I can understand the frustration. No lying origin can be a bit of a resource hog for just an app .

I recommend Razer Game Booster for anyone who does have trouble running The Sims (or any other games) with background applications taking up memory and slowing down your game. It worked WONDERS with making The Sims 3 much more smoothly on my old computer and I still use it on my new one.