March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the Picked and Profit about?

I'm very confused (I'm blonde so it's not surprising). In the new Movie SP some of the items have Picked and Profit in the description with an amount next to them, normally adding up to the amount it costs to buy the item. Please can someone explain to me what this means?

pickedprofit.png
apple-signature.png

Comments

• MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    The curtains were picked at a price of 45 simoleons and are sold at 115 in the buy catalog, making a profit of 70 simoleons.

We're basically giving our sims stuff that is being resold.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Mightydan wrote: »
    The curtains were picked at a price of 45 simoleons and are sold at 115 in the buy catalog, making a profit of 70 simoleons.

How and why is that relevant to the game though? Thanks for the reply :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm very confused (I'm blonde so it's not surprising). In the new Movie SP some of the items have Picked and Profit in the description with an amount next to them, normally adding up to the amount it costs to buy the item. Please can someone explain to me what this means?

pickedprofit.png

It would be cooler though if the curtains came from Champ Le Sims XD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Not really relevant, just the developers trying to be funny.
    Oh right. How funny.
    apple-signature.png
    edited January 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

pickedprofit.png

They do. They were picked at 100 East Northbank Boulevard, Champs Les Sims.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

pickedprofit.png

They do. They were picked at 100 East Northbank Boulevard, Champs Les Sims.

Oh lol XD That's what you get when you try to read faster than the speed of light :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited January 2016
    hey :) its a funny reference to TV shows like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pickers so picked is how much you paid for it and profit is how much profit you made reselling the flea market find
  • SimCarlexSimCarlex Posts: 349 Member
    It may be funny, but it's also a bit confusing :smiley:
    I honestly thought this was a bug :blush:
    416SKIa.jpg?1

I once started a Sims blog called My Sims Pieces (snapshots and stories from the lives of my Sims) and maybe I'll get back to it one day...
    @SimCarlex I thought it was a bug too :D

@ceejay402 Oh I see, so it's only really relevant to those who know of those programmes? It must be mainly a US thing then. Thanks! :)
    apple-signature.png
    I also assumed it must have some sort of bearing on the gameplay, if it wasn't a bug, like an interaction that I hadn't come across yet.
    apple-signature.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,633 Member
    @SimCarlex I thought it was a bug too :D

@ceejay402 Oh I see, so it's only really relevant to those who know of those programmes? It must be mainly a US thing then. Thanks! :)

It's also relevant to those who have played previous versions. SimGuruGraham said all the sims mentioned were in previous games.
    @simgirl1010 I've played all previous versions, shows how much attention I pay to the actual Sims :D
    apple-signature.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It's a reference to the show American Pickers about two guys that travel the country looking in barns and storage houses for items that might have a high value when renovated. It's just a bit of fun for us to read about to give us a grin while we play which I appreciate very much.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    It's a reference to the show American Pickers about two guys that travel the country looking in barns and storage houses for items that might have a high value when renovated. It's just a bit of fun for us to read about to give us a grin while we play which I appreciate very much.

Yep, ceejay402 has already pointed that out. It seems to be solely for the benefit of the US market although I did find the programme buried in a satellite/cable channel over here in the UK.

It's a shame because from the description it seems like it has some kind of an effect in game.
    apple-signature.png
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I like it! I like feeling like my sims are buying second-hand items, only I wish my sims could actually do this: aquire items from things like the junk yard or dumpster diving in TS3, and then do them up, sell them on, and make a profit. Maybe Graham is hinting at future content? *crosses all my fingers, toes, limbs, umm... eyes*

Also, he said the descriptions refer to actual sims in previous games (mostly WA from what I can tell) and we can look up the addresses. I like that he took the time and care to do all this. :)
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited January 2016
    I love these little references. They crack me up and I like that the buy mode items are obtaining more colorful descriptions. The picked/profit has relevance to the boho furniture because they are all used/recycled items, so naturally they have a history.

It's a fun, though ultimately meaningless, addition to the game. I hope they keep up the tradition because the unique descriptions are a pleasant read and tie into older versions of the game! I enjoy it and appreciate the effort they put into it.

P.S. American Pickers is such a fun show to watch!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    only I wish my sims could actually do this: aquire items from things like the junk yard or dumpster diving in TS3, and then do them up, sell them on, and make a profit.

Yes! This is exactly what I thought it might be. How disappointing that it wasn't.

apple-signature.png
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I like it! I like feeling like my sims are buying second-hand items, only I wish my sims could actually do this: aquire items from things like the junk yard or dumpster diving in TS3, and then do them up, sell them on, and make a profit. Maybe Graham is hinting at future content? *crosses all my fingers, toes, limbs, umm... eyes*

Also, he said the descriptions refer to actual sims in previous games (mostly WA from what I can tell) and we can look up the addresses. I like that he took the time and care to do all this. :)

That's a great idea for a GP! Have you submitted that idea in the Ideas sub forum? That would be so much fun, but is definitely bigger than a stuff pack. I love this idea so much! I totally hope it's a hint, but those are so hit and miss. I'd love to see the return of junk yards, maybe as an actual dump where you can salvage any object in the game with unique worn areas. Like the fancy coffee table in the game, only it's missing a leg and is all torn up... maybe a few swatches of duct tape on the side. >:) I love stuff like this!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    Cool reference to American Pickers TV show in US. My hubby loves to watch that program. B)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,216 Member
    I played for less than an hour yesterday. I didn't even get to peruse the buy/build section. :(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member

@Cinderellimouse Yes, and Checo Ramirez is from Sims 2 OFB. I remember he owned a furniture store. I think all of the items in this pack have a story. I haven't read them all yet, but there's also mention of the McDermott family from Riverview, who owned that huge farm next to Don Lothario's...uh...shack. :D

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    At some point, I plan on opening a "pick" store and sell these items as if these pickers worked for me. Barney's Boho Bargains
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,633 Member
    @simgirl1010 I've played all previous versions, shows how much attention I pay to the actual Sims :D

Yeah, I didn't recognize a lot of them. I usually get rid of all the premade sims.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,428 Member
    edited January 2016

That's why I didn't buy any of those stuff for my sims. XD Plus, the boho theme is not for me.
    My Top Song of the Day: HEAVEN AND BACK by Chase Atlantic
    E0zWogS.gif