Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

VMmap errors - please post here

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
edited January 2016 in Mac - Technical Discussions
Hi all,

Seems like we have a recurring Mac/Sims 4 glitch happening more often since Get Together was released:

VMmap needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type in your password to allow this
Developer Tools Access needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type your password to allow this

If you are experiencing this issue please post your Mac's details here. Yes, I know I always ask for them when trying to collect information but they are vital in trying to work out the issue and reproduce it which is what the devs will do. If you don't provide ALL the information asked for your efforts will have been for nothing. Just saying "I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro" is useless.

To find the information click on the Apple logo, top left of your desktop, then About This Mac. Provide all the information in the window that pops up, minus the serial number:

mac-info.png

If you have a 15" MacBook Pro click on System Report then Graphics/Displays and also list your dedicated NVIDIA or AMD graphics card if you have one.

The following info will also be very helpful:
  • What are you doing in game when this happens?
  • How much space is available on your internal hard drive/SSD/Flash storage?
  • Are you running antivirus?
  • Any other Apps running like Safari, Mail, Spotify, iTunes etc.
  • Have you tried disabling Origin in Game for Sims 4 (Right click on the game in Origin and click View Game Details then Game Properties. Check the box next to Disable Origin in game for this game)?
  • Does playing in windowed mode cut down on the errors?
  • What EPs/GPs/SPs do you have installed?
  • Does the problem still occur when you move out your Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts and play a brand new game?

Thanks to those who are providing their information. Nothing can ever get fixed unless information is passed over to EA.
apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2016
    Common causes:
    1. When attempting to access the Gallery in-game.
    2. Clicking on Game Options
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    - reserved -
    apple-signature.png
  • cbartsch69cbartsch69 Posts: 169 Member
    Here's mine:

OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.2
    Macbook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Let me know if you need any more info!
  • GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    OX X Yosemite - version 10.10.5
    Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
    Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory 16 GB 1066 MhZ DDR3 ECC
    Startup Disk Maat (1 TB 761.8 GB free of 999.35 GB)
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD5770 1024 MB x2
    2 x 23" Displays
    1 x 24" Display
    I have three other internal drives in addition to the Start Up Disk: 2 x 2 TB and 1 x 1 TB)
    I have an external drive: 2 TB and a 4 TB Airport Time Capsule
    1 x Blu-Ray Drive (Pioneer BD-RW-208D)
    1 x Superdrive (Apple)
    Logitech K750 Solar Keyboard for Mac
    Logitech MX Master Mouse
    I run ClamXav antivirus.
    Usually I turn close iTunes while playing, but may have Safari and/or Mail open.

I think the error may have to do with memory because it only appears to occur when I open the Game Options after playing for a little bit. Although it has also occurred when I opened the gallery.
    Thanks@cbartsch69 @Gottesfrende

From looking up the error it does seem like it's memory related but I don't understand how it could be when the game is 64-bit and you (and I) have 16Gb RAM. When I open Activity Monitor when it happens there is still plenty of RAM available. And yes, it does seem to sometimes happen when accessing the Gallery and Game Options.
    apple-signature.png
  • lalinottelalinotte Posts: 2 New Member
    OS X El Capitan
    Version 10.11.2
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i&
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0fd5
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3682
    gMux Version: 1.9.23

I am not running an antivirus. I have it on my computer, but it is not open. I have iAntivirus and Bitdefender Virus Scanner.

I have over 88 GB of storage on my harddrive free.

I have Firefox and Messages open.

I have not disabled Origin in game yet, but this will be my next move.
    edited January 2016
    I thought I should note something that I've discovered. I (like most Simmers do, I would guess) always create a new save file any time I play the game so that I don't lose so much should my current game file be corrupted.

SO, I've been noticing that when I open up the game, then create a new save file, I can only play for a short while before the graphics glitch, everything freezes and I get the twirling beachball of death. (And yes, I occasionally get the Vmmap error too, but usually only when I'm trying to access the gallery.) Anyway, so, if I go right back into the game after that first crash and continue playing in that new saved file without creating yet another one, then I can play for hours (sometimes up to 5-6) without ever experiencing the crash.

To be more clear, I'm saying that I believe that when I create a new save file, the game acts as if I have two large files open instead of one... (Does that make sense?)

SO, I'm wondering if this is an indication that we're having the same issues that Sims 3 used to have on Macs in that it puts a cap on how much memory Sims could use regardless of how much was available. (Forgive me if I'm not stating this quite right, I'm not that techno-savvy.).

I would also like to note that I tend to see more crashes during the "didn't create a new save file" playing time if I visit more than 4-5 different locations in the game (especially if one or more of those locations is the home of another sim family that I've created and played).

SO, this whole issue DOES seem like it could be memory related due to those same dumb limitations that made Sims 3 unplayable on a Mac after the first few packs.

Which also seems to indicate that this issue is just going to get worse with each new expansion or stuff pack added.

Which would tend to make Mac players more choosy about which packs they buy and install (rather than just getting and using them all as we normally would.)

Any thoughts? Am I on to something here? Or way off base?
    @cbartsch69 that's really interesting. I never create a new save file and don't often have this VMmap issue although it does sometimes happen when I open the Gallery and Game Options.

There seems to be no limit to the amount of RAM the game can access thankfully. When I was testing a bloated save for a Windows user recently the game went over 8Gb RAM (I have 16Gb RAM)!

@lalinotte Thanks. Are you aware of the current issue with your model Mac, El Capitan and TS4?
    apple-signature.png
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac13,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B09
    SMC Version (system): 2.9f8
    Serial Number (system): D25KK0ESDNMM
    Hardware UUID: 3B75BCA1-6F55-5808-9E64-9E8A87C63C1B

Languages
    iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications

Display
    21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
    1920-by-1080 resolution with support for millions of colors
    Processor
    2.7GHz
    2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
    2.9GHz
    2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
    Configurable to 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz).
    Memory
    8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    Configurable to 16GB.
    Storage
    2.7GHz
    1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    2.9GHz
    1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    Configurable to 1TB Fusion Drive.
    Graphics
    2.7GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
    2.9GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
    Video Support and Camera
    FaceTime HD camera
    Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display
    Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes
    Audio
    Stereo speakers
    Dual microphones
    Headphone port
    Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
    Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

Connections and Expansion
    SDXC card slot
    Four USB 3 ports
    Two Thunderbolt ports
    Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)
    10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
    Input
    Apple Wireless Keyboard
    Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)
    Magic Mouse
    Smooth, seamless Multi-Touch surface with support for simple gestures (scrolling and swiping). Click and double-click anywhere. Ambidextrous construction accommodates left- and right-handed users.
    Magic Trackpad
    Glass Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch and expand, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, rotate, screen zoom, scroll, click and drag, click drag and lock, secondary click A and B.
    Wireless
    Wi-Fi
    802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;2 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
    Bluetooth
    Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
    Size and Weight
    Height: 17.7 inches (45.0 cm)
    Width: 20.8 inches (52.8 cm)
    Stand depth: 6.9 inches (17.5 cm)
    Weight: 12.5 pounds (5.68 kg)3
    Electrical and Operating Requirements
    Line voltage: 100-240V AC
    Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
    Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
    Limited Warranty and Service
    Your iMac comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer’s purchase date. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple- authorized technicians using genuine Apple parts. For more information, visit Apple Support or call 800-823-2775.

I
    Configure to Order
    21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz
    Magic Trackpad
    16GB memory upgrade (two 8GB)
    21.5-inch iMac 2.9GHz
    Magic Trackpad
    16GB memory upgrade (two 8GB)
    1TB Fusion Drive
    3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz) with 8MB L3 cache
    iMac and the Environment
    Apple takes a complete product life cycle approach to determining our environmental impact. Learn more

iMac is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:

Arsenic-free display glass
    BFR-free
    PVC-free4
    Mercury-free LED-backlit display
    Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosures
    Meets ENERGY STAR Version 5.2 requirements
    Rated EPEAT Gold5
    Apple and the Environment

Learn more about Apple’s dedication to reducing the environmental impact of our products and process. Or read our Product Environmental Reports for detailed information on the environmental performance of every Apple product.

Recycling
    Apple takes a holistic view of materials management and waste minimization. Learn more about how to recycle your Mac.

Accessories
    Mac Software

iWork
    Aperture
    Logic Pro
    Final Cut Pro X
    Displays and Graphics

Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
    Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
    AirPort and Wireless

Time Capsule
    AirPort Express Base Station
    AirPort Extreme Base Station
    Other Accessories

I have the mapping issue too, I have tried everything that has been suggested. My game was working ok it did crash occasionally, but then I purchased Spooky pack and then it really messed it up. I finally took my game off and reinstalled it, but it is still not working.
    @candy8 yours is also one of the ones listed in the El Capitan thread - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14151690/#Comment_14151690
    apple-signature.png
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Yes, but they were suppose to fix this in December.
    candy8 wrote: »
    Yes, but they were suppose to fix this in December.

Yes they were, but they didn't.

apple-signature.png
    @cbartsch69 that's really interesting. I never create a new save file and don't often have this VMmap issue although it does sometimes happen when I open the Gallery and Game Options.

There seems to be no limit to the amount of RAM the game can access thankfully. When I was testing a bloated save for a Windows user recently the game went over 8Gb RAM (I have 16Gb RAM)!

Hmmm... the plot thickens. I wish I knew how to check the RAM issue when my game crashes. I also wish I knew how to post photos here (or perhaps I'm still too new to have the permissions granted?), as I have several that showcase the strange graphic issues that occur right at crash time.

Because I'm not often seeing the Vmmap message when my game crashes, and I don't always get the error report either. The game just has weird graphics issues (that sometimes causes the locked game screen to appear over my desktop even afterwards), then locks up so I have to force quit the game. And sometimes even after the game has supposedly quit, I can't get origin to close because it still thinks the game is open.

All that is simply to say, I wonder if I am indeed having the same issues as everyone else or if I'm encountering something completely different...

Is it worth reaching out to EA Help yet again? Or are we thinking they're already on this?
    Who knows what they're doing, they're silent on any of the issues. @SimGuruJanitor was active in the El Capitan thread about the NVIDIA issue but has stayed away since the promised patch in December never materialised. There are a lot of disgruntled Mac players for both Sims 4 and Sims 3 at the moment. @SimGuruDrake has stated that apparently EA are looking into the issue of most post-2013 Macs not being able to play Sims 3 due to their graphics cards not being supported but, as always, EA's lines of communication on this forum are abysmal.

Mac users, aren't we a pesky nuisance? :p
    apple-signature.png
    I have a program called "CleanMyMac 3." Among many of the things it does is monitor your RAM usage and will allow you to free up RAM as well. I have run the free up RAM aspect of the program while using the Sims and it seems to work fine (doing so did not crash my game). I have 16 GB of RAM and I notice that sometimes I get down to about 1 GB unused when the Sims have been open for a while. I recently ordered a RAM upgrade (to 32 GB) and am anxious to see if this addresses the issue when it arrives (in about 7 days). I will report back then. On the other hand, does VMap have to do with video RAM or SDRAM? If it is the video Ram than this would be a very different issue I think.
    Follow up... Tonight while playing the sims, I checked my amount of RAM usage. I had like 512 mb left. I ran the "free up RAM" in the app mentioned above, resulting in me having about 3 gb available. I went back into the Sims and opened the gallery and there was no crash.
    edited January 2016
    @Gottesfrende wow. So how much RAM was the game using? I sometimes have Activity Monitor open to keep an eye on it. You can free up RAM using Terminal, you don't need a 3rd party to do it.
    apple-signature.png
    Yeah, but I'm not that great at using terminal and get a little freaked out by it ;-) So, I'm wondering if those of us who are experiencing the VMap error checked their RAM and freed up what we could prior to opening game options or the gallery would find a reduction in the error?
    Yeah, but I'm not that great at using terminal and get a little freaked out by it ;-) So, I'm wondering if those of us who are experiencing the VMap error checked their RAM and freed up what we could prior to opening game options or the gallery would find a reduction in the error?

Yes, logically that would make sense. Next time I play I'll try it out too :)

apple-signature.png
    Well, something is strange. I installed my new RAM, and now have 32 GB. I opened the SIMS and was in build mode. I checked my available memory and had 24 GB available. I went back to the game and opened Game Options. I go the VMap error and it crashed the game.
    Well, something is strange. I installed my new RAM, and now have 32 GB. I opened the SIMS and was in build mode. I checked my available memory and had 24 GB available. I went back to the game and opened Game Options. I go the VMap error and it crashed the game.

Look in Activity Monitor and see how much TS4 is using, that's more relevant :)

apple-signature.png
  • inathegiraffeinathegiraffe Posts: 1 New Member
    El Capitan
    MacBook Air 13" Early 2015
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
    CO2QMR4VG940

60.81 GB free

I get this message after playing for around 15-30 minutes. Ive tried reinstalling the game and deleting all my mods. Ive also deleted other things off my computer. Please help me this has been happening for over a month and im willing to do whatever to get my sims 4 back.
    El Capitan
    MacBook Air 13" Early 2015
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
    CO2QMR4VG940

60.81 GB free

I get this message after playing for around 15-30 minutes. Ive tried reinstalling the game and deleting all my mods. Ive also deleted other things off my computer. Please help me this has been happening for over a month and im willing to do whatever to get my sims 4 back.

Can you lower all your graphics settings and enable laptop mode, see if that helps? Turn off Origin in game too.

apple-signature.png