Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No/Less pudding face

124...Next

Comments

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Thank you, @IreneSwift! I was pretty sure that was correct but wanted someone to verify it. Appreciate the reply.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Whoops, I'm sure you guys are correct. But SP potentially pulls genetics from sims in the household bin, meaning the Library. The households that appear at the bottom of the screen in Edit Town. Not the saved sims in CAS, those aren't used.

And I don't dress snappy enough to be an Ambassador, but guess I'll accept the title and the honors that come along with it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Well, that is good to know! I get confused enough between Bin and Library, let alone which one NRASS SP uses for it's genetics.

And BTW, online Ambassadors can work in whatever attire (or lack thereof) they so desire. LOL

• CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2016
    @Charlottesmom Well you have done well and this one was actually my favorite of yours all together makeover wise,really like the others they are great but.....Now out of all these

THIS The hair color and shorter hair on her.Sooo amazing. :love: And the picture of her under it was a close 2nd

Screenshot-118_zpslv6jyyjb.jpg

Now like on a thread yesterday going to say something similiar.The list I gave you of the best BP townies did in fact have Bianca in it :'( Written above Marina.There is a reason you should have noticed her though.

:D She was in my video so assumed you caught that.

Start at the 2:37 mark in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ujx6Kk7rY

Edit : Speaking of boobage wait till you see Anala Shukla of BP and Kitty Price from Lucky Palms. :smirk: Anala is in the video above start at the 3:48 mark.
    Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I think the reason for confusion of the terms probably has to do with how things were done in the previous Sims games. I never played any of those until they were giving away Sims 2 UC for free. There is no library vs bin issue there, only one place where households and buildings were saved, and I'd guess it was always referred to as the bin. It was hard getting used to the way Sims 2 worked, and I didn't like that I couldn't save games with names of my own choosing, and start new ones in the same town, with it just as it was at the beginning. I also didn't like that my sims couldn't be saved to the bin to be reused in a new save in a different town.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited January 2016
    @IreneSwift it was, it was called the bin way back then. There was the Sim Bin and the Lot Bin. Then they got all fancy with TS3 and started calling in the library and I still call it the bin most of the time.

I love how this thread has evolved but I have to go back to some of the earlier subject matter. I decided to try running AM alongside SP and MC the other week and it didn't go all that well. Oh yes, of course I had totally unique looking NPCs and all those fancy command lines I could run easily to check on various things but I'm pretty sure some settings were conflicting with probably other mods I have in my game and in the end it was easier just to pull AM and its config file and set up SP to properly populate from the, ah-hem, library. There are things about AM I love, like those command line things but a girl has to do what a girl has to do and all that so out it went.

As for vanilla and pudding, remember, this is the Sims community and we've always been a little bit, shall we say special?, with what we've called things because it eases confusion among players. For any other game we'd call all manner of player-made content mods. For Sims we've always had the distinction between mods (files that actually modify the game's behavior) and custom content (files added to increase the available content within the game). It actually makes more sense than calling all manner of custom created files for games mods. So vanilla can have two meanings as well. I consider a "vanilla" game to be the game as it is sold and it can include all the updates. For example, a vanilla version of Minecraft isn't the first version sold but any version just as it was delivered without player-created files added to it.

And of course there's the difference between NPCs and Townies, where Townies are Sims you don't play and NPCs are service workers and role Sims. I think we should add another term, although I'm not sure what, to make a distinction of tourists and explorers that apparently don't play nicely in your game if you add them to your household.

Where the whole pudding thing comes in, to my mind TS3 defaultly generated Sims always have been and always will be pudding because of their squishy looking little faces.

Oh, and if I post pictures of my Sims I hope no one minds that I use very little in the way of CC for them because I spent years downloading and managing all those files for my old Sims game then I finally came back to TS3 and spent a month earning Sim points to get store content and right now I'm just having fun playing my game and can't be bothered to download, install and then have to merge a bunch of stuff. ;)
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes, that's what I understood also. She was asking for a way to get rid of the 'clones' that the game normally creates. I think the thread took a bit of a twist as soon as someone mentioned custom content. :p

However, I do think the subjects are related somewhat. Custom sliders help to extend the range of the faces which does help with the identical pudding look. Not necessary of course, but they give a wider diversity to the faces. The NRASS mods allow you to use your library sims as genetic material for the immigrated townies and service sims, and you can also extend the range of the sliders (both the in-game sliders as well as custom sliders).

In any case, I'm sure the OP is perfectly capable of deciding for herself whether or not 'custom sliders are a must'. :D

Wow, this thread is out of control xD But its an interesting read for sure!

Personally, I've not used custom sliders though am not against the idea. But I'm a lover of CC (SKIN/eyes/hair are my weakness), and though I understand those who like their game be vanilla i just don't like the look and feel of my sims that way.

I do see the relation between subjects as well, since CC can make a huge difference in the look of one sim to the next. My Puddings are not bad looking, I've just noticed that they're all produced at the same factory :P And I've grown ired of adjusting their faces in Create A Sim.

@HappySimmer3 How exactly do you use your bin for genetics?
    I'd actually love that, since I try to be diverse with my sims, i think they'd end up distinctive from one another that way.

@PrincessSaturn I wanted to apologize for not answer your question. Your thread didn't show up for me right away and somehow got overlooked. I've been having that problem the past few days - I read a thread then later look at the thread again and see posts that weren't there before!

Anyway, I am very happy to see that @igazor answered your question. He is our NRASS Ambassador (at least in my mind, anyway). :D

Now that I think of it, I always get confused between the terms "sim library" and "sim bin" and I'm hoping someone can clarify this. Unless I'm mistaken, the library are the households that show up at the bottom of the screen in Edit Town and the Bin are the sims that you access in Create-A-Sim. Right?
    Oh help, and there I was thinking all this time the bin was the library :s A confusing term as well by the way, because I used to associate a bin with a trash bin and we wouldn't want our sims to end up there would we :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    @IreneSwift it was, it was called the bin way back then. There was the Sim Bin and the Lot Bin. Then they got all fancy with TS3 and started calling in the library and I still call it the bin most of the time.

I love how this thread has evolved but I have to go back to some of the earlier subject matter. I decided to try running AM alongside SP and MC the other week and it didn't go all that well. Oh yes, of course I had totally unique looking NPCs and all those fancy command lines I could run easily to check on various things but I'm pretty sure some settings were conflicting with probably other mods I have in my game and in the end it was easier just to pull AM and its config file and set up SP to properly populate from the, ah-hem, library. There are things about AM I love, like those command line things but a girl has to do what a girl has to do and all that so out it went.

As for vanilla and pudding, remember, this is the Sims community and we've always been a little bit, shall we say special?, with what we've called things because it eases confusion among players. For any other game we'd call all manner of player-made content mods. For Sims we've always had the distinction between mods (files that actually modify the game's behavior) and custom content (files added to increase the available content within the game). It actually makes more sense than calling all manner of custom created files for games mods. So vanilla can have two meanings as well. I consider a "vanilla" game to be the game as it is sold and it can include all the updates. For example, a vanilla version of Minecraft isn't the first version sold but any version just as it was delivered without player-created files added to it.

And of course there's the difference between NPCs and Townies, where Townies are Sims you don't play and NPCs are service workers and role Sims. I think we should add another term, although I'm not sure what, to make a distinction of tourists and explorers that apparently don't play nicely in your game if you add them to your household.

Where the whole pudding thing comes in, to my mind TS3 defaultly generated Sims always have been and always will be pudding because of their squishy looking little faces.

Oh, and if I post pictures of my Sims I hope no one minds that I use very little in the way of CC for them because I spent years downloading and managing all those files for my old Sims game then I finally came back to TS3 and spent a month earning Sim points to get store content and right now I'm just having fun playing my game and can't be bothered to download, install and then have to merge a bunch of stuff. ;)
    In a way yes, although a lot depends on the settings you use I think and the lighting. What I mainly miss in the game (and that's a bit better in 4, but not way better) is good bone structure in their faces. It is there, but far from perfect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited January 2016
    ... I think we should add another term, although I'm not sure what, to make a distinction of tourists and explorers that apparently don't play nicely in your game if you add them to your household....
    That's because these tourists/explorers are not the actual sim but a clone as far as name and looks but with different life details like partner status, number of children, etc. I'm not sure about traits. I've heard them referred to as mini-sims, like mini-me's. :)

• badluhvsbadluhvs Posts: 31 New Member
    I just wanted to say your signature... I cried, so great.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited January 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how to use the genetics from the bin with nraas, please?
    SP's progression must be active and in control. Obviously, you must have some Households in your Household Bin.

For newly arriving Residents:
    SP Immigration must be engaged. On City Hall or an in-game computer,
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Immigration Gauge > (must be set to a positive number)

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Chance of Bin Offspring (default is 50)
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Chance of Random Offspring (default is 10)

If neither option above produces a sim, then the genetics of some sim already in your world will be used.
    So if you want 100% of your incoming sims take genetics from the Bin, then the two values above you would use would be 100 and 0.

For Service Sims and NPC Roommates:
    (SP Population add-on module required)
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Replace Service Sims with Immigrants > True
    same for NPC Roommates if you want

The above will open up all of the other options on that menu, previously hidden.

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims> Options:Immigration/Emigration > Chance of Bin Offspring (default is 50)
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims> Options:Immigration/Emigration > Chance of Random Offspring (default is 10)

For Role Sims:
    These can go either way, depending on whether you have NRaas Register set to assign Role positions to immigrants or residents.

Thank you so much for this post. I've tried using Story Progression several times but have ended up rage-uninstalling because I STILL get the pudding faces on almost all my immigrants. What am I doing wrong?

I set Chance of Bin Offspring to 100 and Random Offspring to 0 for my immigrants, but every single Sim has the "vanilla pudding" face with all sliders at zero. And I do mean single Sims, because when a married couple immigrates, they have genetics from my bin Sims but single ones do not. Service Sims seem to be a mixed bag -- the maids all have pudding faces but the repair people do not. EDIT: not all the maids have pudding faces, yay!!!

One of the things that's so confusing is the sheer number of options in SP. Lots? Sims? Town? Do all the sub-options have to be set to something I'm missing? Thanks so much in advance.
    Post edited by Stdlr9 on
    Do you have immigration set to 'on' or 'true', @Stdlr9 ? And you need to have a variety of sims in your library. But I'm guessing that you do, just thought I'd check!

You know I don't usually look at every sim that immigrates, but I do notice the ones from a distance who look like a sim from my library. I'll have to look the next time I start up one of the games where I had the settings in place before the world started getting populated. Right now I am primarily playing a game in Riverview and this game was started without these settings, so I can't really judge how well the mods are working in this save. I'll look forward to any input that igazor has about this.

Thanks for the help. Yes, I do have immigration set to on/true, plus a variety of Sims in my bin/library.

What really puzzles me this latest time I've tried SP is how the single Sims are pudding faced but the married couples are obviously from my bin genetics. I feel there must be some setting I've overlooked!
    It's this part:
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Replace Service Sims with Immigrants > True
    that has to be done as an additional step to get the NPCs to immigrate from your bin. I forgot to set mine to 100% so I still have some coming in with the default face but at least I do know it's working since I changed it since some of them are unique looking.

I've been pleasantly surprised too overall with the mix I'm getting. I have five or six families in the library and I'm hoping on making at least a couple more but I've been surprised at just how unique the new ones have been.
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I got mine set up and while the NPC's aren't... horrible, they definitely don't have the same face. So that would be a success! Unfortunately i have to go back in and check that the roomate part has been ticked because I still have 2 that are showing up with that face. They could have been from before... but I don't know.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
    edited January 2016
    It's this part:
    that has to be done as an additional step to get the NPCs to immigrate from your bin. I forgot to set mine to 100% so I still have some coming in with the default face but at least I do know it's working since I changed it since some of them are unique looking.

I've been pleasantly surprised too overall with the mix I'm getting. I have five or six families in the library and I'm hoping on making at least a couple more but I've been surprised at just how unique the new ones have been.

Yes, I have the Population add-on module and for the most part my service Sims have different faces.

My problem, which I don't know how to explain any more clearly, is that single (meaning unmarried, unpartnered) Sims that immigrate into my town and set themselves up in a house are pudding faces. Couples that immigrate are not. Help, help! P.S. Don't mean to sound ungrateful for all the suggestions, because I AM grateful! :)
    I got mine set up and while the NPC's aren't... horrible, they definitely don't have the same face. So that would be a success! Unfortunately i have to go back in and check that the roomate part has been ticked because I still have 2 that are showing up with that face. They could have been from before... but I don't know.

I grew up around mostly pretty homely looking people. I used to tease my dad and tell him I finally found out when he was at his best looking, which was when he was lined up with his brothers! Haha. These were just not good looking men but they had personalities that made them lovable! Then I married a really funny looking guy who is a total sweetheart that no one else wanted. I have what I consider some really pretty Sims but a lot of the Sims in my game are homely but I love them too. :heart:
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    It's this part:

Yes, I have the Population add-on module and for the most part my service Sims have different faces.

My problem, which I don't know how to explain any more clearly, is that single (meaning unmarried, unpartnered) Sims that immigrate into my town and set themselves up in a house are pudding faces. Couples that immigrate are not. Help, help! P.S. Don't mean to sound ungrateful for all the suggestions, because I AM grateful! :)

I'm sorry, I misunderstood thinking the problem was specifically with NPCs, as in service workers and role Sims. I have a severe case of brain fog today.

I see you got a maid that's not a vanilla face? Then check the settings and make sure you've changed the occurrence rate from 50 to 100. That's something I forgot to change so some of mine have been that default face too while others aren't. And I'm pretty sure that's a 50% chance per Sim so it's entirely possible you could still end up with more default faces than none, just like flipping a coin.

There are a lot of settings in SP, for sure. I find myself baby stepping my way through it and exporting the settings each time. I can learn a little bit at a time but trying to get a lot to sink into this old brain at once is like trying to force caulk through a piece of steel sometimes.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    @Stdlr9 - I don't really know why incoming single sims would be ignoring the settings that are apparently working for incoming couples. If you want to test further, you could disallow all households in the bin as sources of genetics except one household of one single sim with obvious and extreme features.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Immigration/Emigration > Immigration Disallow Bin By House > (and select all but the one strange looking one to disallow)

I've actually done this by accident, left a vampire single sim household as the only one allowed in the Bin, and with Chance of Bin Offspring set to something really high like 90 or 100, repopulated Uni World with all vampires with the same genetics (and all with the same last name). It was kind of funny, but not what I was intending to do. Other than such a "fun" test, perhaps a post at NRaas would generate some answers as to why that might be happening from one of our developers.

As for the wide array of SP options -- agreed that can be intimidating until one gets used to them. There are two different kinds of SP options.

General Options:
    These are things that apply to the entire world, further subdivided into categories and subcategories so we have a chance at finding them in the maze.

Town > Caste > Lot > Household > Sim Options
    These are settings that pertain to sims (as opposed to the world itself, situations, mod behavior, etc.) and flow from left to right, but those on the right if set differently trump (override) those on the left. They aren't the same things as the General Options.

Example:
    Town Options - Aging is set to True.
    Caste Options - Aging is set to False for the Vamipre Caste.
    Sim Options - Aging is set to True for Fred (who is a vamipre).

In this example, everyone in town will age, but not vamipres. Fred will age though, because he is set as an exception.

It is not necessary to set the same options the same way for Town, Castes, Lots, Households, and Sims, that would just be duplicative. When you look at a particular option of this type, the existence or lack of parentheses tells you if it was set explicitly at the level your looking at or inherited from a larger class on the left.

(True) or (50) = Inherited
    True or 50 = Set explicitly at that level

The SP Interactions page, although not easy to read because of its length, can be used as a reference to find where the setting you are looking for is on the hierarchy and whether it's the General or Town/Caste/Lot/Household/Sim kind.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+Interactions

Does that help demystify things a little, maybe?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Yes, thank you all so much! I'm having fun experimenting now. :smiley: