Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Panic Mode O.O

cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
Hi guys!
So as ts2 gets older and older, some of us might have computers that are equally as old because newer things can't run it.
Myself, I have a shiny laptop for ts3&4 but my ts2 desktop is nearly as old as I am - and I'll be 20 soon.
That said, there's been a couple of panic moments where I thought it had kerplunked and I'd never be able to play ts2 again.

The first incident was a few months ago. The tower had stopped turning on because some part inside of it died. I'm not tech savvy in the slightest. I remember panicking however and my dad came to look at it. He pulled the tower apart and looked at everything and then once determining the problem he took that part out and replaced it with the one from his old tower which still happened to work. He told me however that it was probably just a temporary fix. I had been so panicked because I've had the same ts2 game for years - I've never had to do a reinstall. And while of course I had everything backed up on the computer, if it died for good that'd have been pointless. So my dad then went out and bought an external drive and I spent the next 5 hours backing up the whole EA GAMES folder. And then obviously thanked him like crazy.

The second incident was just last night. I have been making a world in ts3 so taken an at least 2 month break from ts2. Yesterday I decided to play again. I turned it on around 11am. It crashed twice, but my game has a pretty consistent 3-4 hour run before I hear the "ernt" crash noise and the screen turns blue :p so I am trained to save like a mad woman. Then all of a sudden after restarting for the second time the monitor turned black and the light orange. I peeked under the desk but I obviously couldn't tell if anything was unplugged. My dad suggested turning the whole set-up off and back on, but no luck. Besides, I had been cross-legged on my spinning chair how could I have unplugged anything? But my dad was tired so i just left it off and kept working on my ts3 world. I figured if the monitor was broken then at least the tower is okay, but then that's convincing my parents to buy a new monitor for an ancient pc they've wanted to get rid of that I won't let them.
Then this morning I told my dad I was going to try again and he came up with me. He poked around, and said it was unplugged from the tower. I reminded him I had been cross-legged so it is a mystery how. Maybe a cat snuck in? But I was right here and didn't see a cat. It was very strange. Anyways, he plugged it back in and ts2 is loading as I type :) Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

My laptop is from last year- it's a cheaper one with an intergrated graphics card, has Win10, and runs TS2 very nicely. It takes just a little work to get TS2 working on the newer computers.

Graphics Rules Maker- http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with
    Now your game recognizes your graphics card.

And Keep the Sim Shadows on with this- http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585

I Love CAW, too! :mrgreen:
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Hmm, maybe I'll try that. I know when I got my laptop my dad had installed a virtual drive on it and ts2 did work in the virtual drive but EVERY SINGLE THING flashed blue and/or red so i abandoned that and have just stuck to my dinosaur desktop :p
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited January 2016
    The Blue is from missing/messed up meshes of CC (do you use CC) and red is from your graphics card... I remember those from YEARs ago. :(

I'm thinking that the Rules Maker will help.

*I've kept playing TS2 since it came out. I used to have to manually fix the graphics settings in the game files and was so happy when she made that program. :)