Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update to Sims 3 on Origin + CAW

Comments

• PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member
    Again, why do we have the option to update or not if the update will activate on its own anyway, @SimGuruDrake?
    Works great on windows 10!
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @SimGuruDrake

Well, at the moment, most of thesims3.com is down, and, when I launch the game, I cant log in, as it says my email/password is wrong...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • WaterHornetWaterHornet Posts: 352 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake -It's great that you intend to keep both versions of CAW available because I didn't get the 169 patch and still have 167.I'd likely have to get my RAM upgraded if I wanted this patch and that might get expensive.

RAM upgrades aren't as expensive as you might think. Depending on your PCs specifications you can buy DDR3 sticks for $30 to $50, give or take. Check your computer's owner's manual or your motherboard's documentation to see what kind of memory the computer takes, the maximum amount of RAM the board can use, and go from there. Desktop RAM is SUPER easy to install; just watch a few YouTube videos to see how it's done. Pretty much open the clips at the terminal ends of the RAM slot, push (and it may take some force; in order to break something you have to really work at it and apply EXTREME force) the RAM stick fully into the slot, close the terminal clips and you're done. Laptop memory upgrades are a little more tricky but still can be done by the user. If you still choose not to upgrade then stick with what you know works if you're concerned that updating the game is going to cause problems.

• Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited January 2016
    @SimGuruDrake -It's great that you intend to keep both versions of CAW available because I didn't get the 169 patch and still have 167.I'd likely have to get my RAM upgraded if I wanted this patch and that might get expensive.

RAM upgrades aren't as expensive as you might think. Depending on your PCs specifications you can buy DDR3 sticks for $30 to $50, give or take. Check your computer's owner's manual or your motherboard's documentation to see what kind of memory the computer takes, the maximum amount of RAM the board can use, and go from there. Desktop RAM is SUPER easy to install; just watch a few YouTube videos to see how it's done. Pretty much open the clips at the terminal ends of the RAM slot, push (and it may take some force; in order to break something you have to really work at it and apply EXTREME force) the RAM stick fully into the slot, close the terminal clips and you're done. Laptop memory upgrades are a little more tricky but still can be done by the user. If you still choose not to upgrade then stick with what you know works if you're concerned that updating the game is going to cause problems.

That's true, BUT if, like my, you have a "Frankenstein" computer (low end upgraded nonstop through the years), all RAM slots are filled with like 2Gb strips, so, upgrading would mean taking off a 2 and replacing it with a 4 or higher, which would be significantly more expansive than just adding another strip of 2Gb...

My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake

Well, at the moment, most of thesims3.com is down, and, when I launch the game, I cant log in, as it says my email/password is wrong...

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/869008/update-to-the-sims-3-website-store#latest
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited January 2016
    Well, at the moment, most of thesims3.com is down, ...

Yes, that was announced: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/869008/update-to-the-sims-3-website-store
  • BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    > @PrincessSaturn said:
    > Again, why do we have the option to update or not if the update will activate on its own anyway, @SimGuruDrake?

You sure you got the latest version. In the bottom left corner of your launcher what number do you see?
  • Kiya_ElleKiya_Elle Posts: 145 Member
    @SimGuruDrake

Any chance that you could make it so that Steam users can also use CAW without having to edit the windows registry?

Yes, yes I know - Origin vs Steam - raargh! Just use Origin etc.

It would be nice to get a little teensy bit of Steam love though for those of us who like using it.
    My Avatar is from the painting Ursa by len-yan
    http://len-yan.deviantart.com/art/ursa-478030083
  • UAL00bUAL00b Posts: 1 New Member
    Of all the days to tackle trying the CAW, I tried yesterday and for the life of me COULD NOT figure out why it would not work whatsoever. I found all the troubleshooting threads and tried all of the fixes from the past few years. Nothing was working, so I gave up after nearly 4 hours. Of all the days. Lol, works now with the new DL link.
  • PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member
    Bazajaytee wrote: »
    > @PrincessSaturn said:
    > Again, why do we have the option to update or not if the update will activate on its own anyway, @SimGuruDrake?

You sure you got the latest version. In the bottom left corner of your launcher what number do you see?
    Bazajaytee wrote: »
    > @PrincessSaturn said:

I don't see what this has to do with anything, since the update was done through Origin. Though I was prompted to either update this time or to choose not to, after clicking to bypass the update it still happened. Still waiting to hear back from @SimGuruDrake
    edited January 2016

That's true, BUT if, like my, you have a "Frankenstein" computer (low end upgraded nonstop through the years), all RAM slots are filled with like 2Gb strips, so, upgrading would mean taking off a 2 and replacing it with a 4 or higher, which would be significantly more expansive than just adding another strip of 2Gb...

Your really not supposed to add ram anyway when you upgrade. You cant mix ram.They all should be same make and model or you might have issues. You should replace the ram sticks and buy them at the same time. They are sometimes sold in 2 stick packs. So if you want 8gb buy 2 x 4gb, or 2 x 8gb for 16gb and like the other poster stated check your computer manual for the correct ram to buy or use crucial web http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner
  • Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member
    The memory ram can be an issue to crash the game with no reason. I updated my PC on September 2014 and I have 16GB of ram. I never had any crash since that time. I have the overwatch mod and error trap form NRass to fix internal problems. At this point I do not have any issue with my game.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    The memory ram can be an issue to crash the game with no reason. I updated my PC on September 2014 and I have 16GB of ram. I never had any crash since that time. I have the overwatch mod and error trap form NRass to fix internal problems. At this point I do not have any issue with my game.

You dont need more than 8gb ram for this game. The game is only capable of using 4gb total because it's programmed 32 bit. You need extra ram to run windows,origin and other programs.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Kiya_Elle wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake

Any chance that you could make it so that Steam users can also use CAW without having to edit the windows registry?

Yes, yes I know - Origin vs Steam - raargh! Just use Origin etc.

It would be nice to get a little teensy bit of Steam love though for those of us who like using it.

I love Steam too! My Steam install runs seemlessly, my Origin disc only install on my other laptop runs pretty darn good but I still want to stay away from 1.69 for awhile so Steam it is. <3
  • morgane07morgane07 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello,
    I installed the sims 3 update (1.69.42.024017) and the origin update (Version 9.11.2.10120 - 403336) but there is a problem in the CAW with the "edit in game" mode. When it's loaded, I have this message: "A serious error occurred when [...] We strongly recommend that you close the aplication.".
    And when I close the message, the main game menu appears.
    How can I fix the problem ?

Note that I am a French player :)
    Thank you
  • BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    > @PrincessSaturn said:
    > I don't see what this has to do with anything, since the update was done through Origin. Though I was prompted to either update this time or to choose not to, after clicking to bypass the update it still happened. Still waiting to hear back from @SimGuruDrake

Because if it says anything other than 1.69.42.024017 you don't have the update.
  • PikminWPikminW Posts: 169 Member
    Just really hoped this to ACTUALLY happen. Thanks UpdateGuruDrake, I'll be able to create worlds again... -.-
    When will my reflection show?
    0f6_zpsnz47jegb.gif
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    So @SimGuruDrake why are we being denied access to our digital downloads without patch 1.69
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    So @SimGuruDrake why are we being denied access to our digital downloads without patch 1.69

Is this something new? I've been able to download and install SPs and EPs from Origin with the first 1.69 patch.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Is this something new? I've been able to download and install SPs and EPs from Origin with the first 1.69 patch.
    I believe it is, from the reports we've been seeing. And sounds like that will soon bring me to 1.69 (v2) myself since I am close to finally installing the ITF EP and I have no discs, it's all digital. I'm not even sure my optical drive works anymore, but that's a minor issue.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    I believe it is, from the reports we've been seeing. And sounds like that will soon bring me to 1.69 (v2) myself since I am close to finally installing the ITF EP and I have no discs, it's all digital. I'm not even sure my optical drive works anymore, but that's a minor issue.

Well, now that CAW is working I'm going to upgrade to Windows 10 finally. I want to do clean install, which will mean reinstalling the game. I have only digital versions, so I'll be at 1.69 regardless.
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    igazor wrote: »

Well I guess you'll be one of the first to be able to tell us how it's like with that patch :|
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Domenica1976Domenica1976 Posts: 11 New Member
    The only thing I know is that I lost everything 'cause Origin just started the update. Can we reset, so we have the old game play back?
    I'm so frustrated at the moment.
  • michellezwaamichellezwaa Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2016
    finally i got my caw working.. but every time i try to edit my world in sims 3 game.. it gives me an error.. so frustrating.. :(

i'm not sure.. but i've installed everything with origin on D instead of C.. sims 3 is working fine and smooth.. tried to install caw on both C and D.. but it is still giving me the error and says that i need to restart the application..

sorry for my english.. i'm dutch :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top